Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #9181
akokie
Boomer Sooner

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
I suggest you get in touch with the supplying dealer...
already done that. he's 961 miles away (it does suck sometimes, living in alaska) but he's sending replacement parts asap.

Quote:
If the pin is still there, could be that they didn't hook the silly bracket thing over the pin properly. If the pin is missing they didn't do the nut up on the back.
hmmmm... this is hard to visualize. I'm not sure what pin you're referring to (hell, it may be gone as well)
think you could grab a quick photo of the proper set up and send it my way?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #9182
akokie
Boomer Sooner

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoChicken
These are holding up great, multiple naps on both sides.
http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...Scrambler.html
yes- this is good stuff. appreciate the feedback. the only snag in the plan is that the oberons require you have the rest of the footpeg assembly. which i do... err... almost. there's a tiny circlip attached to the end of the pin that holds the footpeg on. at least, there WAS a tiny circlip before i impatiently took the pieces apart and lost it. sure i could maybe find one at the local hardware store. maybe.

update on oem parts:
bike bandit sent an email saying it would take 7-10 days shipping AFTER they got the parts in stock. nope. i cancelled the order.
Triumph of Detroit said they a)had the footpeg in stock and would ship immediately, and b)didn't have a clutch lever in stock, but would pull one off a floor model and ship immediately if i couldn't wait for the next shipment.

+1 for Triumph of Detroit.

+1 for Firedawg who was gonna sell me a set of footpegs before we realized the insane shipping costs. he allowed me to save face and gracefully bow out of the deal after packaging them up for shipment.
he's still got em (and more stuff) for sale in post #9135

akokie screwed with this post 05-19-2010 at 05:51 PM
akokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #9183
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Remember in a pinch you can swap the rider and passenger footrests, they are interchangeable. You need a pair of needle nose pliers and be careful not to lose the clip for the pivot pin.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #9184
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie
yes- this is good stuff. appreciate the feedback. the only snag in the plan is that the oberons require you have the rest of the footpeg assembly. which i do... err... almost. there's a tiny circlip attached to the end of the pin that holds the footpeg on. at least, there WAS a tiny circlip before i impatiently took the pieces apart and lost it. sure i could maybe find one at the local hardware store. maybe.

update on oem parts:
bike bandit sent an email saying it would take 7-10 days shipping AFTER they got the parts in stock. nope. i cancelled the order.
Triumph of Detroit said they a)had the footpeg in stock and would ship immediately, and b)didn't have a clutch lever in stock, but would pull one off a floor model and ship immediately if i couldn't wait for the next shipment.

+1 for Triumph of Detroit.

+1 for Firedawg who was gonna sell me a set of footpegs before we realized the insane shipping costs. he allowed me to save face and gracefully bow out of the deal after packaging them up for shipment.
he's still got em (and more stuff) for sale in post #9135
After using the rear peg for nearly a year, once I was ready to install the Oberons I couldn't remember where I put that pin and c-clip so I just got new ones at the dealer. Those parts are cheap and they were in stock. Also, I have broken that c-clip before, pretty fragile and necessary! I bought a spare and keep it in my tool kit. In case I brake a peg, then bust the c-clip moving from the rear to the front.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #9185
Oil Burner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
follow up on the Heidenau tire wear. From the Heidenau K60 tires thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=409

Hmmm... That's too bad. The K60's are/were at the top of my list for the next set, but 2500 miles on the rear is a little on the short side. But, if the performance is really that good, they may still be the ones.

I really overthink these things too much sometimes...

2006 Triumph Scrambler
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #9186
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Mystery Ride

Just got back from our five day 1555 mile 'Mystery Ride".
We started In Seattle, met up with the ring leader in Wenatchee (and learned our route) and proceeded to ride through Pendleton Or, and on to Sun River, where we roughed it ADV style.
90 degree days, hundreds of rain miles, snow, dirt and Captain Morgan!
Killer backroads!

Geared up (19t c/s) my Triumph hauled ass, pulling mtn passes at 90 mph in 4th (I topped at 106 indicated on this ride).
I rode hundreds of miles at 70 to 90 mph. Easy.
1st still chugged along as I needed off road. No oil burned.
The Triumph does it.

People can gripe about Trail Wings, but I hauled through the twisties with the best and aired down for some dirt roads, slides, donuts, and riding to the bottom of a crater!
The Trail Wings did not let me down.
My touring set-up performed well (yes some mods will be done).
Gerbing heated gear rules.

Leaving my home...

I started my ride from the Triumph demo day.

The misfits.

Crooked River.

Vista overlooking Crooked river.

Boondockin it.

Twins...

Overlooking this huge crater...

And in it.

In between rainstorms. Love my Gerbings!
(on towards Lakeview in SE Or.)

The snow stopped one of my off pavement excursions.

And of course our killer base camp!
We sure did rough it.

Next!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #9187
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Lazy Scram

Well it was a warm day so my Scram decided to lie down in some water to cool off. The usual damage - footpeg and brake lever broke, bent engine bars (but they protected the cases). Exhaust scratched up. Lucky really - except Triumph dealer is telling me the footpeg is out of stock until end June Looking at alternatives.

ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #9188
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Wicked Spacing right footpeg out 1"

I found and used the suggestion by Blacktiger for spacing the right footpeg out 1"; he was dead on with that farkle. As he suggested I took 1" alloy round stock. Cut 1" lengths (he used 20mm). Drilled a hole through them to take the longer 10mm 1.25 pitch 60mm length bolts and the whole thing bolted up like it was supposed to be there. Just as a FYI, the 10mm 1.25 pitch by 60mm bolts are hard to obtain so I cheated and used hardened hex heads with a small bushing under them to take up the space in the countersunk hole (eventually I will find socket head 10mm 1.25 pitch 60mm bolts but until then this works just fine).

I always had foot issues on the right side. Since I made the farkle no more issue with the foot being cramped and as a bonus my lower leg is further from the exhaust pipe. All around a win-win situation.

Close up of spacers

From the front

rudolf35 screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 06:57 AM
rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #9189
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
I can not find, nor do I know the name of the member who suggested spacing the right footpeg out 1", but he was dead on with that farkle.
I seem to recall that it was old mate Blacktiger.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #9190
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
As he suggested I took 1" (he used 20mm) alloy round stock. Cut 1" lengths.
I used 25mm diameter (almost an inch) x 20mm long. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7752 Glad you like it.

blacktiger screwed with this post 05-20-2010 at 06:44 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #9191
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokie
hmmmm... this is hard to visualize. I'm not sure what pin you're referring to (hell, it may be gone as well)
think you could grab a quick photo of the proper set up and send it my way?
OK this shows the springs and the strange bracket viewed from the rear....

This shows the pin that the bracket hooks onto, viewed from underneath, front....

Closer view....

Yeah I know, it all needs a good clean. At least it won't go rusty with all that oil off the chain around.

blacktiger screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 02:39 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #9192
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Thumb One of the better farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
I used 25mm diameter (almost an inch) x 20mm long. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7752 Glad you like it.
With this farkle you saved me a lot of pain in the right foot. It was broken and never healed right. I was ready to do some fancy R footpeg farkling when I found your post and with a 1/2 hour work my woes where cured; at least on the Scrambler.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #9193
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Burner
Hmmm... That's too bad. The K60's are/were at the top of my list for the next set, but 2500 miles on the rear is a little on the short side. But, if the performance is really that good, they may still be the ones.

I really overthink these things too much sometimes...
2500 so far. I think I can get a little more out of it. Still very disappointing in the life of the rear. The front is wearing like a champ, just like I expected. I think the 130 must be a different tire from the 140. It looks like the 130 is the only one that has such a short life. I think I'll squeeze a 140 on the rear later this year and see what happens. I haven't read about anyone having complaints about any 140 rear on the Scrambler. Most people can't notice the difference.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #9194
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLX200
Well it was a warm day so my Scram decided to lie down in some water to cool off. The usual damage - footpeg and brake lever broke, bent engine bars (but they protected the cases). Exhaust scratched up. Lucky really - except Triumph dealer is telling me the footpeg is out of stock until end June Looking at alternatives.
Use the passenger foot peg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe Post #9195
Remember in a pinch you can swap the rider and passenger footrests, they are interchangeable. You need a pair of needle nose pliers and be careful not to lose the clip for the pivot pin.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #9195
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,689
Great pics, Max! If you were in Lakeview you were truly in the back of beyond - that is some rough and bleak country. Luckily your gear and that crude makeshift camp made it more bearable!

Thanks too, for all your others informative posts. Lots of riding and tweaking going on!

FWIW, I am running a TKC 80 in the front and a Tourance in the back and the match seems to be working out very well. The TKC is wearing extremely well, holds the road just fine and inspires confidence on loose stuff. The Tourance wears like iron. Put on about 700 miles this last weekend in a lot of twisties and noticed no handling problems.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote