Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #9391
scramblase
ATGATT -> Met/Isoleucine

Oddometer: 97
Question time!! Does anyone with LSL crash pads care to estimate how far they stick out from the engine case? If the bike went over, what (if anything other than the cases) would they actually protect....the shift / brake levers? Would the Triumph engine bars protect the levers @ all? The pipes? Bonus for anyone posting a pic of either item on their bike. I'll buy you an e-pint Danke.
scramblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #9392
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Oddly enough we checked the sag on my stock forks and they were spot on for my 185 lbs. We checked it twice and it was the same.
The front sag on my '08 when stock was fine also. mebbe Triumph tweaked things somewhere along the line from previous years...
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 AM   #9393
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm
The guys I bought the bike from at Clinton Cycles off of 5 in MD seem to know what they're doing, but are probably over priced like any other dealer and they also don't have much in the way of competition around here either.

Right now, the my bike's down in Fredericksburg at a place called Top Notch Custom Cycle. They say they do work on Triumphs, and last time I was in their backshop, they did have a mid-70's bonnie sitting back there awaiting something or other. They were doing some custom fabrication stuff for me anyways, and my off happened just a couple of miles from their shop, so....seems fitting that the bike's with them now.

For the record, I'm in Alexandria, near all that construction on 495 around Telegraph Road. But I'm inside the beltway, and I can see the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument as I cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on my drive to and from work each day so in my mind...I'm in DC.

By the way, were you on 1 South some Saturday back in mid-late April? I passed a guy on a matte green Scrambler, and that's the only other time I've seen my bike on the road. Ever.
My brother got his T-100 from Clinton, seemed like nice guys. If you see a big Kawasaki and a Bonnie out cruising tell my dad and bro I said high. They're down in Woodbridge.
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 AM   #9394
wiseanhyzer
\ˈwī-zən-ˌhī-zər\

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Thank you very much! Quick accurate info is a great thing!

Oddly enough we checked the sag on my stock forks and they were spot on for my 185 lbs. We checked it twice and it was the same.
Who knows if RaceTech has the right spring rate info for the Scrambler????

I also weigh 185 lbs and know very little about suspension tuning.

I'm using the pre-load adjusters that come standard on the Thruxton along with emulators. I have the pre-load adjusted to give me the proper sag. I don't know how the front sag was before the emulators and adjusters. The front is softer than the back over bumps, potholes, etc. It feels good on the road but I'm hopeful that stiffer springs will even out the front and back on rougher surfaces.

wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #9395
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblase
Question time!! Does anyone with LSL crash pads care to estimate how far they stick out from the engine case? If the bike went over, what (if anything other than the cases) would they actually protect....the shift / brake levers? Would the Triumph engine bars protect the levers @ all? The pipes? Bonus for anyone posting a pic of either item on their bike. I'll buy you an e-pint Danke.

My Scram is a bit of a Jeckel & Hyde affair, sometimes it's a cafe racer and other times its a true blue dirt squirt. IMO, the LSL crash pads would do a good job in protecting the cases from a simple slide down the road but the Triumph accessory crash bars (suitably reinforced) would do a better job and look the goods as an off-roader.

Someone posted about VisionX driving lights a day or two back. I look for excuses to ride at night with these fitted! The VisionX's are wired direct to the high beam wire behind the globe so only come on when switched to high beam. As you can see, the pale yellow stock high beam light is basically superfuous with the VisionX roadshow all lit up!
I have a friend who has 2 sets fitted to his R1500GSA, 1 set adjusted for low beam and the other set for high beam. They are so good he has pulled the globes on his stock headlight which saves a heap of drain on his battery.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 05:47 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #9396
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle66
The front sag on my '08 when stock was fine also. mebbe Triumph tweaked things somewhere along the line from previous years...
I had assumed it was way too soft on the ft spring the way it bottomed with a clank under hard braking and tried to bump steer right off the road into a ditch. According to my suspension tuner the damping is so weak that it does nothing but let the bike bounce around like a toy.
It is amazing how many bike makers no matter what country they build bikes in miss the suspension set up by miles.
My DR works pretty darn good with the Emulators and .50 springs in it,not great but way better then mushy stock.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #9397
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanhyzer
Who knows if RaceTech has the right spring rate info for the Scrambler????

I also weigh 185 lbs and know very little about suspension tuning.

I'm using the pre-load adjusters that come standard on the Thruxton along with emulators. I have the pre-load adjusted to give me the proper sag. I don't know how the front sag was before the emulators and adjusters. The front is softer than the back over bumps, potholes, etc. It feels good on the road but I'm hopeful that stiffer springs will even out the front and back on rougher surfaces.
Those Race-Tech guys are pretty sharp,I did have to re-valve the RT Gold-valve twice in the shock on the DR to make it plush for dual sport riding,once dialed in it is night and day better then stock.

I also pulled the Emulators out of the DR and backed them off two turns on the adjuster as they were too stiff,its easy to adjust the Emulators to see whats best on them.
I put Works Performance shocks on the Scrambler,they work pretty good and really show how bad the forks are on a rough road.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #9398
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Does a damping rod hole get welded up in the the Triumph RT set-up?

While not perfect, my forks have loosened up considerably in their 3000 miles since new.
Not so bad for me at this time.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #9399
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
There's a few options out there. Just depends on how much protection you want, and how fat your wallet is.

The OEM one that you have is decent bottom-level protection. Doesn't do much, but it does do more to protect your bike than not having anything at all does.

A step up from that is an add-on plate that Grizzlybear sells.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8355
Provides a good bit of extra protection, helps keep your oil cooler clean, and is adjustable based on how much protection you need at the time.

At the top end of the line, is the plate that Beach40 had some fab shop make for him.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7855
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7852
Looks to be very well made, provides significantly more protection than the stock plate, and can even be customized to what you want. It'll even fit with the factory crash bars installed. Downside is that it's a bit expensive.
Or bash (pun intended, sorry) out your own like wot I did only for Grizz to nick the idea and make it look far more professional.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #9400
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Smith
I just fitted one of these to the scram. They are bloody expensive, but the difference is unbelievable and the standard headlight works just fine now. I thought about fitting a Thruxton headlight but I like the look of the small unit on the Scrambler, and now I don't need to!

Also these bulbs are legal in the UK which 99% of HID kits and all hi wattage bulbs are not.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...PIA70456/353.0
Simon, I swapped my bulb for a high output one and it does improve the lighting but I wonder if the problem over the pond is with the pattern of the lens because I have a really good pattern on my LH drive one. The beam is "T" shaped with the lower bit lighting up the near road and the top of the T spreading out in the distance. From what I'm reading on here the US pattern is crap.
Another problem I found is that the lens gets dirty INSIDE which dulls the light output. Apparently the lens comes off and you can clean it inside.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #9401
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
I had assumed it was way too soft on the ft spring the way it bottomed with a clank under hard braking and tried to bump steer right off the road into a ditch. According to my suspension tuner the damping is so weak that it does nothing but let the bike bounce around like a toy.
IMO the forks as supplied are too hard. Hitting bumps seem to give an hydraulic lock. The oil is too thick and there's too much of it.
I put in thinner oil and less of it and mine is now comfortable and controlled. Tracks over the bumps instead of crashing into them. My original post...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3564
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #9402
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Does a damping rod hole get welded up in the the Triumph RT set-up?

While not perfect, my forks have loosened up considerably in their 3000 miles since new.
Not so bad for me at this time.
On my DR forks they had me drill out the existing damper rod holes bigger,Ive heard their latest mod is to drill bigger and add a hole.
The Forks on my Scrambler are the worst of any of the 30 some bikes Ive had,even worse then the 650 strom. Near rigid over small sharp bumps,harsh over normal everyday bumps and bottom quickly under hard braking.
Maybe I ride it harder then intended but still.........
I suppose Triumph built these bikes as a styling excersize but a little more attention to detail would help.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #9403
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
IMO the forks as supplied are too hard. Hitting bumps seem to give an hydraulic lock. The oil is too thick and there's too much of it.
I put in thinner oil and less of it and mine is now comfortable and controlled. Tracks over the bumps instead of crashing into them. My original post...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3564
I put in thinner oil also,bottoms quicker and is still rigid over sharp bumps so Im not seeing the big improvement with that.
They are cheaply built japanese forks made to budget,Ive taken 650 strom forks apart;also cheap Kayaba's, and they had worn out bushings causing stiction at very low miles.
The ft tire on my Scrambler bounces off the ground over sharp bumps in corners when pushed hard,never had a bike do that so predictably.
I'll fix it though.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #9404
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
The guys I bought the bike from at Clinton Cycles off of 5 in MD seem to know what they're doing, but are probably over priced like any other dealer and they also don't have much in the way of competition around here either.

Right now, the my bike's down in Fredericksburg at a place called Top Notch Custom Cycle. They say they do work on Triumphs, and last time I was in their backshop, they did have a mid-70's bonnie sitting back there awaiting something or other. They were doing some custom fabrication stuff for me anyways, and my off happened just a couple of miles from their shop, so....seems fitting that the bike's with them now.

For the record, I'm in Alexandria, near all that construction on 495 around Telegraph Road. But I'm inside the beltway, and I can see the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument as I cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge on my drive to and from work each day so in my mind...I'm in DC.

By the way, were you on 1 South some Saturday back in mid-late April? I passed a guy on a matte green Scrambler, and that's the only other time I've seen my bike on the road. Ever.
storm

Tstorm
I got mine from Pete's in Baltimore
A few Bonnies and a Commando meet at Misha's Coffee on Patrick, Alexandria St Sundays at 9.30 btw then go ride.

What fabrication is Top Notch doing?

Dave
Attached Images

sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #9405
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirclive
storm

Tstorm
I got mine from Pete's in Baltimore
A few Bonnies and a Commando meet at Misha's Coffee on Patrick, Alexandria St Sundays at 9.30 btw then go ride.

What fabrication is Top Notch doing?

Dave
I'm planning on doing a cross-country road trip this summer, and needed a spare fuel solution for the time in Death Valley (and maybe a few other places too, who knows?) Went to an Army Surplus store, and found a cool looking old 5l gerry can that matches the bike pretty well, and I'm having the shop fab up a bracket for it. Should look similar to the coke box, and mounted to both the front footpeg bracket and to the rear footpeg itself. Or something like that.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=8569

As soon as I get the bike back, I might have to meet you guys there one Sunday.

Good to see you starting the kids out young!
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote