Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #9706
CobaltFire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
New Scrambler Owner

Just rode my 2009 Black Scrambler home.

Loving it already, but not all that in love with the tires. Could be me; I've never ridden on DS tires before.

That exhaust DOES get hot in 95 Degree heat though...
2007 Kawasaki EX250
CobaltFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #9707
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
One thing I didn't mention about the screen is that the top part acts like a laminar lip. there's a gap between the lower and upper parts. I think that helps it to work so well.
The company on eBay is in Germany and shipped it to me very quickly. The advert shows that they ship worldwide. Drop them a line and see how much they charge to ship to the USA.

Rack? No, it's a Ventura.
What else you have going on for touring there? Your 'dash' looks a lot busier than mine. I see GPS mount (what kind?), hot grips, tach, something to the right? Gel seat pad, handguards... You're all set eh? Bike looks great.

Oh, and I would hazard a guess that your side shield for a pannier is custom to mount to top of shock, passenger peg, and somewhere on the Ventura rack? What type of luggage do you carry there?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 AM   #9708
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
Scrambler vs T100

I am a little torn on which bike I like more, the Scrambler or the T100. Now the green Scrambler with all the toys is like a dream bike, but after riding my brother's T100, and checking out the all black version, I'm starting to have a battle with myself over which would be better for me. I mean, a T100 can handle gravel and easy fire roads, and I'm not sure how much more than that I would be doing on a Scrambler. PLUS, it would be easier to get panniers or bags for a T100. Then again, the green Scram is the best looking bike I've ever seen.

Any thoughts?
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #9709
flexfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Intermittent Ignition Issue

Broke down in Canada two weeks ago in the heavy rain with an ignition issue I believe. Bike would misfire and then die - would crank over but not start until it cooled off. Put dielectric grease on the coil last year, so water was not an issue. Had it towed to Steet Cycles in Falmouth, ME., 270 miles. Service dept stated they cannot find anything wrong with it. Any thoughts? Seems to me it could be a defective ignition pick up, but that is just a stab in the dark.......
Thanks in advance.

Steve
07 Triumph Scrambler
flexfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #9710
ivara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
IMO, the 2 most likely reason for these bikes to cut out in heavy rain is
#1: plugged tank breather hose , water somehow blocks the hose.
#2: sidestand switch

4 years ago I bought my 02 Bonneville, got it at a killer price since the previous owner had been stranded in heavy rain a couple times, and dealer swapped out pickup coil etc without solving the problem.

So when I bought mine, I scrounged the triumphrat.net forum for tips and hints to be prepared. So far I've had the bike stop on me 3 times, each time I just open the gas cap, then start up and ride on.
The suggested fix for the breather hose is to cut it at an angle, then it won't be as suscepible to get blocked by water.

To test if the sidestand switch is the culprit, bring a piece of wire, unplug the switch, then jump the connector (located under the left side cover)
Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #9711
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Any thoughts on what bars this guys running?

Yup - flattrackers. Look a kinda like the ones I have - Star Bars with the brace removed. F-wide at 870mmm, they look sweet and improve road manners no end. Flex a fair bit though. Go great with the GT style grips too, which I've also whacked on mine since the shot below was taken.

http://www.starbar.fr/distributeurs.html

However, the bars of the bike above seem thicker than mine, so maybe they're 1", and maybe that's why he's running aftermarket clamps.

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 06:42 AM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #9712
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar
I am a little torn on which bike I like more, the Scrambler or the T100. Now the green Scrambler with all the toys is like a dream bike, but after riding my brother's T100, and checking out the all black version, I'm starting to have a battle with myself over which would be better for me. I mean, a T100 can handle gravel and easy fire roads, and I'm not sure how much more than that I would be doing on a Scrambler. PLUS, it would be easier to get panniers or bags for a T100. Then again, the green Scram is the best looking bike I've ever seen.

Any thoughts?
The green Scramblers will dust the other weaker Scramblers off in any power contest,easily topping the magic 80 mph mark.
Id go with a Scrambler over the T-100 as chicks dig em.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #9713
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Mulholland Highway, Sunday 6/13

On the way to the Rock Store. Beautiful afternoon.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #9714
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
What else you have going on for touring there? Your 'dash' looks a lot busier than mine. I see GPS mount (what kind?), hot grips, tach, something to the right? Gel seat pad, handguards... You're all set eh? Bike looks great.

Oh, and I would hazard a guess that your side shield for a pannier is custom to mount to top of shock, passenger peg, and somewhere on the Ventura rack? What type of luggage do you carry there?
Renthal 615-01 (for a Honda TRX250R ATV) handlebars, Oxford HotGrips, Zumo550 cradle on a RAM mount, another RAM mount for a camera on the right. AirHawk seat, Tiger1050 handguards with custom made barends and Barkbusters fitting kit.

You're correct on the side plate mountings and it's for a Givi monolock pannier, although mine are actually Kappa they're the same thing. It all needs cleaning up and painting but I'll use it as is until the winter just to make sure it holds together. The E21 size looks just right on the Scrambler....

blacktiger screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 08:39 AM
blacktiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #9715
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexfoot
Broke down in Canada two weeks ago in the heavy rain with an ignition issue I believe. Bike would misfire and then die - would crank over but not start until it cooled off. Put dielectric grease on the coil last year, so water was not an issue. Had it towed to Steet Cycles in Falmouth, ME., 270 miles. Service dept stated they cannot find anything wrong with it. Any thoughts? Seems to me it could be a defective ignition pick up, but that is just a stab in the dark.......
Thanks in advance.

Steve
07 Triumph Scrambler
From what I've read on these forums the most likely cause is still water getting thrown up under the tank at the coil area from the front tyre. To cure it you need to get busy and fit an extension to the front mudguard and extend the skid plate northwards with a forward flip (will also protect the oil cooler) something like you see in the photo below. I did all this early in my ownership because of what I'd read and have been through some painful downpours and my bike has run faultlessly.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #9716
sirclive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
scram vs T100

thats a tough one.

Which one would you love to have in your garage?

Have you tried both motors? 270 vs 360 crank.

How often do you really use panniers?

Which one would you really, really love to have in your garage?

Dave
2010 Scrambler
2001 Bonnie.
sirclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #9717
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexfoot
Thanks in advance.

Steve
07 Triumph Scrambler
Water for sure. Use your dielectric grease on all the connections under the tank, and as mentioned cut your breather hose on an angle. Since doing both the above, I've haven't had a problem and ridden for hours in the rain.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #9718
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirclive
thats a tough one.

Which one would you love to have in your garage?

Have you tried both motors? 270 vs 360 crank.

How often do you really use panniers?

Which one would you really, really love to have in your garage?

Dave
2010 Scrambler
2001 Bonnie.
Bingo! Having owned both a Scrambler (mine) and a Bonneville (wife's), I'd say get a ride on both. Even though they look very similar and are based on the same platform, they both have a very distinct feel to them. The Bonneville (360) feels a lot more refined, while the Scrambler (270) just has a rougher, more raw feel to it. Jodie hated the Scrambler but loved her Bonneville, while I preferred the Scrambler any day. Both are good, just different. Good luck on your decision.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #9719
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Bingo! Having owned both a Scrambler (mine) and a Bonneville (wife's), I'd say get a ride on both. Even though they look very similar and are based on the same platform, they both have a very distinct feel to them. The Bonneville (360) feels a lot more refined, while the Scrambler (270) just has a rougher, more raw feel to it. Jodie hated the Scrambler but loved her Bonneville, while I preferred the Scrambler any day. Both are good, just different. Good luck on your decision.
I have ridden both, and the Scrambler really does feel like you're riding an old school bike, with a little more rattle and roll, but it still handles beautifully. I was pulling tight U-turns in thick KC traffic with no problem.

Basically, I need to get a scrambler, then convince my girlfriend that instead of a new car, she needs a T-100.
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #9720
panthercity
Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
I have ridden both, and the Scrambler really does feel like you're riding an old school bike, with a little more rattle and roll, but it still handles beautifully. I was pulling tight U-turns in thick KC traffic with no problem.

Basically, I need to get a scrambler, then convince my girlfriend that instead of a new car, she needs a T-100.
Now THERE'S a plan!
Bob AMA #162726 LPR #54
`94 BMW R1100RSA
`95 BMW R1100RSA
`05 R1200ST
`06 Triumph "Scrambled"
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote