User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #10426
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Keep aftyer it satcen.
The floating seat does need re-enforcement underneath it.
Rack or not the seat/plastic rear floats up & down.

With due respect blacktiger, its not 'your way or the highway'.
We all can have decent results with the style of carrying loads we want to achieve.

How a touring load looks is important to some.
satcen & I are seemingly following the same course to carry a load.
Much in the same way you & grizzly have similar ideas for mods.
Don't think of it as copying, only bettering the Scrambler for its chores.

I have been doing day tours lately (300-400 miles), where a tankbag only, carries a sufficient amount for a 400 mile day and a quick overnight motel stay if need be.
Nice to travel light!

This right here is a pretty solid base for carrying gear.
The key is to have proper support/weight distribution underneath the seat base.
I am close.
And yes it is easy to coach knowledge from others pictures.
Trial & error from a few of us will make it easy for others to build up their ideas in the future.

Bring it on!

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #10427
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig
Showing off my work in progress . . .

She'll eventually be a desert sled, but currently looks more like a scrambler.

Apologies if I've soiled your modern bike thread with this 44 year old girl.

Sweet Bike earwig!
An old trophy I ran across last summer.

Sod Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #10428

Oddometer: 5,309
I installed the Procom Programmable CDI box last night. I'm tempted to say it the best bang for the buck mod I have done on any motorcycle. The only problem I can find with it is my stock clutch springs are at the limit. If I gun it in 3rd it deffinately slips. Guess I better hold off on installing the British Customs air box removal kit I have sitting on the bench until I get some stronger springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #10429
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
I installed the Procom Programmable CDI box last night.
Keen to hear more about the changes you've noticed! Which program did you swap the bike to?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #10430
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Question Clutch Springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
I installed the Procom Programmable CDI box last night. I'm tempted to say it the best bang for the buck mod I have done on any motorcycle. The only problem I can find with it is my stock clutch springs are at the limit. If I gun it in 3rd it deffinately slips. Guess I better hold off on installing the British Customs air box removal kit I have sitting on the bench until I get some stronger springs.

How many miles on those springs? I don't recall it being mentioned as a weak point before, finally something besides the suspension to complain about!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #10431
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Took her for a ride B4 lunch

Some really awful NOKIA pics just B4 lunch (the meal was much better).
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #10432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormley Green
Keen to hear more about the changes you've noticed! Which program did you swap the bike to?
I just set the dial to position 6 which is what was recommended based on the P/N of my original CDI. Havent gone much further than that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
How many miles on those springs? I don't recall it being mentioned as a weak point before, finally something besides the suspension to complain about!

Bruce

There 15k on them. The only mods I have are K&N, belmouth, TOR's & jets to match. It seams that if I roll onto it smoothly its not an issue but if I open it up without down shifting it is. Me being almost 300lbs probably doesnt help much.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #10433
Gormley Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13
I just set the dial to position 6 which is what was recommended based on the P/N of my original CDI. Havent gone much further than that yet.
I ask because I notice they have several different programs you can download from their website depending on what kinds of results you want.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #10434
MCole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
A Scrambler goes to the Middle East. Finishing up a 10,000 mile tour from Germany down through the Balkans, around Turkey, into Syria and Jordan and back to Paris on a New York plated Scrambler. No problems except for 4 broken spokes, probably weakened from when I did the Trans Labrador in May. The suspension needs work though, after trashing the Hagon shocks that were on the bike when I bought it during the Trans Lab I ordered a set of YSS shocks from Bellacorse. The spring isn't up to the job though, the limited travel also became noticeable in eastern Turkey where road conditions can be very poor.

Palmyra:

Syrian desert:

The Kackar mountains of northeastern Anatolia:

Repairing some damage from a mud bath:

MCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #10435
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
MCole,

Great trip! I'd love to take the Scram round that part of the world.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #10436
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig
Showing off my work in progress . . .

She'll eventually be a desert sled, but currently looks more like a scrambler.

Apologies if I've soiled your modern bike thread with this 44 year old girl.
I don't know about soiling the thread, but I think i just made a mess in my pants. I think it's pretty much perfect the way it looks now. Nice work.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #10437
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCole
A Scrambler goes to the Middle East. Finishing up a 10,000 mile tour from Germany down through the Balkans, around Turkey, into Syria and Jordan and back to Paris on a New York plated Scrambler. No problems except for 4 broken spokes, probably weakened from when I did the Trans Labrador in May. The suspension needs work though, after trashing the Hagon shocks that were on the bike when I bought it during the Trans Lab I ordered a set of YSS shocks from Bellacorse. The spring isn't up to the job though, the limited travel also became noticeable in eastern Turkey where road conditions can be very poor.
Wow! I have lived in Turkey for four years (2002-06) and traveled around with the bike for more than 40.000. Now I can be only "a little bit jelous" - you brought me back my memories. Thank you for this... I was just wondering about petrol and then I saw your xtra tank. Great!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #10438
rairuoho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Six Dollar Taillight Mod

Hi, this is my first post to this thread - I've been reading it for a while and it actually resulted in purchasing a Scrambler... so here we go.

The original tail light assembly is what it is, but when I ended taking it apart I noticed that the steel bracket buried inside the plastic could actually be re-used by screwing only the tail light unit onto it. It only needed a small dresser plate which I bent out of a thin aluminium sheet, held in place by mounting it between the tail light. One only has to cut the the wires behind the light bulb to get everything disassembled and then rejoin later. The whole mod is reversible to original condition. Here a few pictures with shortened indicators and painted black, but it looked good also in chrome.

Why do I call it a six dollar mod? The thin sheet of aluminium was six dollars at our local home depot...

rairuoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #10439
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 273
Thumb Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rairuoho
Hi, this is my first post to this thread - I've been reading it for a while and it actually resulted in purchasing a Scrambler... so here we go.

The original tail light assembly is what it is, but when I ended taking it apart I noticed that the steel bracket buried inside the plastic could actually be re-used by screwing only the tail light unit onto it. It only needed a small dresser plate which I bent out of a thin aluminium sheet, held in place by mounting it between the tail light. One only has to cut the the wires behind the light bulb to get everything disassembled and then rejoin later. The whole mod is reversible to original condition. Here a few pictures with shortened indicators and painted black, but it looked good also in chrome.

Why do I call it a six dollar mod? The thin sheet of aluminium was six dollars at our local home depot...

Very neat, I like it.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:11 AM   #10440

Not bad. Nice work.

Quote: