Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #91
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer: 4,646
I forgot to include a comparison of published torque specs.... which may be more indicative of a any bike's performance in the real world:

Triumph Scrambler: 51 ft-lbs
BMW Dakar: 44 ft-lbs

[assuming of course that the companies' conversion from those Newton- Meter thingees is correct ]

The two bikes even cost about the same.

The Scrambler is obviously a niche bike...I think intended as a entry level bike for some, but primarily to appeal to motorcyclists' sense of nostalgia and style. At that level it seems to be on target.

To some extend H-D has made a fortune tapping into that sentiment. The motorcycling intelligentsia have been whining for years that Harleys and their owners are testaments to style over substance and performance....underpowered, overweight, etc.

Meanwhile, millions of Harley owners obliviously donne their costumes and have fun riding their overweight and underpowed bikes each weekend while the stockholders make money.

These are our toys. This is who we are.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
eoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #92
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore
With the Uly gone and the Scrambler being a new offering [sort of] , I think I may see a new "mission" for me here.

Folks have mentioned the weight and the "puny" engine.

I just did some interesting comparisons with the BMW F650GS Dakar [which coincidentally, I have listed in Flea Market ].

Published [Dry] Weight:

Scrambler: 451 pounds
Dakar: 425 pounds

Published HP:

Scrambler: 54 HP
Dakar: 50 HP

Using the 7 lb. / HP urban motorcycle myth conversion factor, it would appear that one could expect the performance of these two bikes to pretty much be a wash.

I know it isn't quite that simple and the published figures may or may not be real-world accurate, but it suggests that someone comfortable with the performance level of a larger bore thumper like the KLR or GS might be satisfied with the Scrambler's engine.

I wouldn't want it for my only bike, but it sure seems like it would be nice addition to the stable for running around town and afternoon jaunts in the countryside...plus it is cool as hell.

If I can get my bikes sold and the Geezer Glide paid for, I might just run down to LR and eyeball one of these.

I'm already thinking of a clever title for my long term review....uh oh.

Here we go again....well....defintely maybe.

don't do it....

i'm selling the roadking and want to put in a pool.... and if you buy one... then i may have to buy one... and i really can't afford one right now... but how can i not afford one... seems like a great idea...

ok... do it.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #93
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Chah-Ching

Quote:
while the stockholders make money
Thad' be me, thank you verrry much. $

Sad though I own stock in HD but not a HD.....

....I miss America
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #94
Pistol
The Novice

Oddometer: 37
We3--thanks and glad to be part of the 'argument'! Wouldn't enjoy it any other way!

Entering the motorcycle universe via a Triumph (vs the 'expected' midlife HD route) has its benefits...for one, ease of handling and motoring for a beginner. Second, the nostalgia trip for brit bikes is different and, dare I say, tres hipper from an urban perspective.

Suburban HD-riding neighbors and friends, who profess condescending amusement at my purchase of the Scrambler, want to know when I plan to "step up to the real thing".

Well, now that I have the modern retro bike, my eyes are firmly set on experiencing the real thing---getting my hands on an old Norton Commando or BSA Lightning.

Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #95
Pete™
Published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
Chah-Ching

Thad' be me, thank you verrry much. $

Sad though I own stock in HD but not a HD.....
come on in... the water is just fine....

have a sip of the BuellAid
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #96
Pete™
Published.

and my roadking is looking more and more like it's for sale....
Old 06-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #97
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

I've got a pretty serious bite on my FXDX....if I can get some activity on the Dakar, the Scrambler may become real option.

I think the Triumph Dealer in LR has merged with the BMW dealership....hmmm...could open up some interesting trade possibilities....

I'm just sayin'.....

I showed the wife GaelicDog's photo of the blue Scrambler.

"It looks heavy."

Damn....I think the girl is learning something.

My continuing tale of life and riding in the Arkansas Ozarks: Wandering About In The Hundred [Thousand] Acre Wood
Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #98
Pete™
Published.

Buy it... Ride it... Put all the good farkles on it.... and then when you decide to sell it... I'm in.

But may I humbly suggest you break it in a little harder... don't want to start any it uses too much oil thoughts
Old 06-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #99
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
Hmmm - let me amend that last statement.
You appear to be the ONLY person that wholeheartedly support this bike - in print - as a magazine review - or as a online motorcycle review site.

I realize some of you owners "wholeheartedly support this bike" but the media types - Dave excluded - still appear to me as regarding this bike as a looker not a do-er with no particular substance. Looks good - draws a crowd - spin around town bike.

With a finalization that you should not expect this bike to be more than a pavement cruiser in Oldtyme-Scrambler clothing.

I like the
'it's not a CR250 line'

I don't think the many of the other magazines have done what Kiwi Rider did to it - or had the opportunity perhaps.

I firmly believe the bike is a viable alternative to a 650 dakar or wee strom for the same type of riding.

They have off roading limits too - but the Scrambler is just as capable. They all go as far as the rubber will let them.

cheers
dc
Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM   #100
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Talking Dreams Fulfilled

A lifetime ago I bought a Honda Super 90 from Bud Ekins in Sherman Oaks.
I wanted a Triumph but could't afford one. It was painful to spend so much time at the shop with the objects of my desire. I had a terrible case of unrequited lust.

I picked up my Scrambler two weeks ago. I love this bike. The competition pipes sound great, the fit and finish is first rate and I'm very impressed by the handling. There is plenty of power for my riding style and great torque.

Last Sunday morning my new Scrambler was the star of the show at The Rock Store among some very impressive machinery. The positive comments from other riders was a great validation of my bike and my decision to buy it.

Forty Years Ago
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #101
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago
Forty Years Ago

I felt good for you reading that!
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #102
eoR
Thanks For Noticing Me

I got to see one that had stopped in at the BMW dealership. It is as sharp looking in person as it is in the photos.

It was getting most of the attention from the riders who had stopped in on there way to a BMW Rally nearby. The owner was kind enough to let me sit on it and I quizzed him some.

As much as I liked it, I decided it just wasn't the bike for me and decided to get the 1200GS. I apologize to those of you who were depending on me to get it, review it for a few months, and then unload here in pristine condition.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #103
johnstokesII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore
I apologize to those of you who were depending on me to get it, review it for a few months, and then unload here in pristine condition.

Dang!
johnstokesII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #104
Pete™
Published.

Umm....

It was my idea... I had dibbs.

Oh well. I'll give it 3 months and there will be a scrambler in the garage. 3 and a half months from now and I'll have a new one that has been loving cared for and broken in.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #105
Redseat
MSF Rider Coach

Oddometer: 19
Glass half full

Look on the bright side here… Anyone want a R1200GS in 7 months with “Farkles”? Talk to Eeyore in February 07.