Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #14851
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
Thats quite a score Rudy. I'm surprised there are any 2009's left out there .

I just mounted a new Anakee on the rear and while the bike was apart I made these brackets to mount the factory mirrors as bar ends as found over on the TriumphRat forum:

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/...sun-light.html

I'm not sure I like them, They seem a little large for a bar-end mirror but they were free since I have two sets of them lying around.

I doubt I will ever find a mirror I am happy with. This is the fifth set I have tried. The mirrors that looked good on the bike only offered a view of my shoulders. Maybe I will go with one of those helmets with heads up display and run without any mirrors.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #14852
Sean Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
red

all the parts a powder coated.
I think i would like to have the chrome heat shield.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #14853
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
San Diego Scrambler

After installing RaceTech springs and emulators, along with YSS shocks on the rear, I decided to take my new Scrambler for its first, real off-road tour today in some City of San Diego canyon action. It rained two days ago in San Diego, so I soon hit some muddy patches. Good thing I had motocross boots on, because that beast likes to sliiiiiiiide. Eventually, I ended up in a really rocky canyon wash; the kind of wash where the entire ground is covered with round rocks. I just stood up and pounded my way through and it sailed over those mamas. Oh man, this beast is a heavy one but it handled those boulders. The Scram is nothing like those 300-pound XLs and XTs I used to ride in my 20s! Still, I managed my way through without laying her down. Kinda fun for a dude in his late 40s, but my forearms are feeling it after almost getting her stuck in the mud and rocks a couple times. Glad to know the Scrambler can handle some rough stuff. I’m really looking forward to some flat-out fire roads in the San Diego County back country. Hosed her off. She’s ready for Monday’s commute to work!

'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 09:33 PM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #14854
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Cassier Hwy..

I've been wanting a Scrambler now for a couple years now..Looking to get one this spring..Plan on running TKC 80s on it.

Did that trip up the Cassier on TKC 80s on my GS in 2007, perfect tire for me...Made the full trip on the front, changed the back in Fairbanks, AK just for piece of mind..10,000 miles round trip no flats, life was good..I wouldn't worry so much about the gravel stretches, lots of cars, motorhomes and full dress harley's making it up those stretches of gravel..

On the way back we followed the Alaska Highway to Dawson Creek....That was a good decision, lots of new stuff down hwy 97...

Anyway you go, its a long long ride thru Canada. Food was good, gas way expensive, and we didn't get any speeding tickets ..Took us four days each way.

Look forward to your RR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I've been given approval from the boss (i.e. the wife ) for a Loooooong motorcycle trip next year!

Destination: ALASKA!

A buddy from the local RAT club is going with me (although he is taking his KLR, I guess his Tiger 1050 is too pretty.)

Question for those who have made trips of similar length (this will be 8,000+ miles in about 3 weeks.) What is a good, long-lasting tire that can accomodate 90% pavement/10% dirt and gravel? At this point I'm running street tires (Dunlop D404s, same as I had on my T-bird) but will certainly be putting on new shoes for the Alaska trip.

Most important considerations for a tire will be safety and wearability/durability. Even so, I think we will probably figure on tire changes about halfway through, just to be on the safe side.

Second question for those in BC, Canada or who are familiar with the roads: Would you ride a Scrambler on the Cassiar Highway (Highway 37?) I know the Cassiar has a reputation for having long gravel stretches and lots of construction, but I just don't like the idea of going up to AK and coming back the same way. Plus I think it'd be cool to go to Hyder, Alaska, a little town that can only be reached from the Cassiar (it has no other form of direct access to any other part of Alaska.)

Thanks in advance!

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #14855
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Oddometer: 67
Officially

I'm in, with '06 scram
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #14856
davidpweis
Daydream Believer

Oddometer: 28
Noob here..In fact, more of a lurker having been here since 2008, and read through almost 900 pages..wow..

I just put a deposit down on a matte black '12. Course; wife doesn't understand I have no intention of selling my K 1200 Lite Truck

I have some great Works shocks coming in 3 weeks. (black :-)

So, I have a few questions, I'm hopeing can be answered, and some of this might be repeated earlier in the thread, but finding things is soo hard.

- Exhaust. I see so many high exhaust options that I'm confused.....Zard, Arrow, British Customs, Mass..etc..

Question: Performance
- Will I see an improvement in performance if I get the Arrow 2>1; with the dealer remap.
- If I got the Zard, MassMoto or some other exhaust, would I have to figure out my own remap?

Question: Sound
- Is the Arror, Zard or MassMoto very loud...; compared to the stock, are any of these 'nice'..i love that massmoto utube sound for some reason ; Anyone know? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTDRkKT45c)

Finally Front Suspension:
- Can someone recommend springs? Do I get the progressive shocks with emulators? Or do I just drop in Rikor dampers? Or can I get progressives with Rikor's? And finally, can I get preload adjustments on the front springs?

Thanks so much...

David
'12 Scrambler (otw)
09' BMW K1200LT (awaiting summer tour)
'08 BMW 1200RT (retired)
davidpweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #14857
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpweis View Post

- Can someone recommend springs? Do I get the progressive shocks with emulators? Or do I just drop in Rikor dampers? Or can I get progressives with Rikor's? And finally, can I get preload adjustments on the front springs?

Thanks so much...

David
'12 Scrambler (otw)
'08 BMW 1200RT (retired)
Do not fit progressive springs with emulators , fit straight wound springs. Get the static sag set right & straight wound will give a better all round performance. Can't comment on Ricors, I've used Racetech springs & emulators, my springs are the stiffest available & are probably a little stiff for my weight .
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #14858
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
- Will I see an improvement in performance if I get there'sthe Arrow 2>1; with the dealer remap.
- If I got the Zard, MassMoto or some other exhaust, would I have to figure out my own remap?
The factory remap works on most exhaust systems as long as they are of similar construction.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #14859
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Noob here..In fact, more of a lurker having been here since 2008, and read through almost 900 pages..wow..

I just put a deposit down on a matte black '12. Course; wife doesn't understand I have no intention of selling my K 1200 Lite Truck

I have some great Works shocks coming in 3 weeks. (black :-)

So, I have a few questions, I'm hopeing can be answered, and some of this might be repeated earlier in the thread, but finding things is soo hard.

- Exhaust. I see so many high exhaust options that I'm confused.....Zard, Arrow, British Customs, Mass..etc..

- Will I see an improvement in performance if I get the Arrow 2>1; with the dealer remap.

Question: Sound
- Is the Arror, Zard or MassMoto very loud...; compared to the stock, are any of these 'nice'..i love that massmoto utube sound for some reason ; Anyone know? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOTDRkKT45c)

Thanks so much...

David
'12 Scrambler (otw)
'08 BMW 1200RT (retired)
I have RaceTech springs and emulators. The stock springs are .74kg/mm, and I installed .95kg/mm. It depends on your weight. I believe the single action springs are the way to go, not dual. See info here:
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...ambler/2005-11

When I installed the RaceTech front, I also installed adjustable Thruxton caps. They fit perfectly. See info here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...the-scram.html

If you are mostly going on the street, you might try these new Bitubo cartridge kits. They just popped up on the Belacorse web site. I think they are a bit firmer than the RaceTech front end but not sure how they would work off road. I think the Bitubo springs are one size fits all though, and I wanna say .85kg/mm. They come with preload adjuster caps:
http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc075.htm

edit: .85kg/mm
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 11:15 AM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #14860
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
You guys really getting 60 mpg?(website quote) How much does the arrow exhaust and slight mods bring that down by? I guess my question is what is your actual mpg before and after mods?
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #14861
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracothius View Post
You guys really getting 60 mpg?(website quote) How much does the arrow exhaust and slight mods bring that down by? I guess my question is what is your actual mpg before and after mods?
60mpg, right. I've never seen any actual figures close to that. If I putt along at 45-50mph, I've seen close to 50mpg; but more normal riding returns low 40's. Mods probably have negligible affect. If anything, the mileage might improve slightly.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #14862
davidpweis
Daydream Believer

I've actually had amazing milage when I put it on a trailer. I've seen 4 gal's last me all day
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #14863
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracothius View Post

I've hit 55 MPG a couple times since I swapped out the original mufflers with D&D slip ones. That was traveling around 60 MPH in cool weather, Usually I get around 43 MPG in a mixture of city and country riding.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #14864
davidpweis
Daydream Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
I have RaceTech springs and emulators. The stock springs are .74kg/mm, and I installed .95kg/mm. It depends on your weight. I believe the single action springs are the way to go, not dual. See info here:
http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/...ambler/2005-11

When I installed the RaceTech front, I also installed adjustable Thruxton caps. They fit perfectly. See info here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...the-scram.html

If you are mostly going on the street, you might try these new Bitubo cartridge kits. They just popped up on the Belacorse web site. I think they are a bit firmer than the RaceTech front end but not sure how they would work off road. I think the Bitubo springs are one size fits all though, and I wanna say .85kg/mm. They come with preload adjuster caps:
http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc075.htm

edit: .85kg/mm
Thanks so mucheveryone..

Why not progressive springs. vs. just single rate?

D
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #14865
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
I'm in, with '06 scram

With properly finished engine cases.