User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #14881
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Springs and Air Injection

There is a third option for springs, duel rate springs. They are either made of two springs with different rates stacked on top of each other or with one spring that changes rate at some point in the middle. I had a Works Performance duel rate kit in my scram. I liked that set up because the "hard" spring is the same length as the stock spring. The second "soft spring sets on top of it and you make new spacers to give the amount of preload you want. That kit also has spacers that fit inside the soft spring so you can make the transition to the hard spring sooner if you want.

The air injection debate is mostly a matter of personal preference. The bike can be tuned to run perfectly with or without it installed. If the bike runs lean then it will blue the pipes. From the factory these bikes are as lean as they can be and still run. The air injection adds air to the exhaust to make the bike seem even leaner, this can cause the pipes to bluegrassblue. But if the bike has be rejeted/remaped then it can run perfectly even with the air injection installed, just like Max said.

Your results may vary

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #14882
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
The air injection debate is mostly a matter of personal preference. The bike can be tuned to run perfectly with or without it installed. If the bike runs lean then it will blue the pipes.
The AI is very simply an add-on to burn any excess fuel in the exhaust before it gets out into the atmosphere, part of the emissions control system. Yes, it'll cause the pipes to turn blue quicker because that excess fuel is burning in the header ahead of the muffler, and yes it'll cause popping on decel if you change the exhaust to something less restrictive than the stock system. It has no bearing whatsoever on performance.
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #14883
LC4Dakar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Has anyone used Distanzias' in mud? Might be going places with some fairly nasty sections of wet dirt road in a couple of weeks.

I'm guessing they will do poorly.
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)
1953 Matchless G80 trials
LC4Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #14884
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_locker View Post
Hey, which YSS shocks did you get and what size did you go with? They're on my short list.
I ended up getting the RZ 362 TRL (no reservoirs) with a length of 360mm. They have adjustable length so I increased the length to about 365mm (which actually matched my stock shocks). They came with a spring length of 220mm (46-20-30-220), but it seemed like I had to crank down on the preload too much, so I exchanged the springs for longer ones, 240mm (46-20-30-240). They seem to work well off road but I am still dialng them in. They are $500 for the pair.

Edit: My scram made a cameo appearance in this news report on San Diego adventure trails. See bonus video for Boulder Creek Rd.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/17005120/a...os-backcountry
'86 Yamaha XT350

tvscum screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:23 AM
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #14885
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
+1

The EFI Scram is not a hot performance bike and the AI mod and airbox removal is not going to make a noticeable difference when driving the bike as it was intended. Changing the exhaust to something lighter is expensive, but will make a noticeable difference in the sound, weight, and look of the bike.
The AI apparatus is there solely and wholly for reasons of assisting in meeting certain emmissions targets and in no way does the inclusion or removal of the AI bits effect performance or power output. The primary reason for removing it is to reduce the back-firing (popping) on deceleration that some find annoying. The secondary but less important reason for regular riders to remove the AI is to reduce a little bit of weight off the bike.

Maxaceleration, we did a before and after dyno run when fitting the air box removal kit and found 6hp so IMHO, fitting the airbox removal kit is hugely worthwhile. This benefit will apply equally to caburated or an efi model Scrambler as ours is. Currently our Scramber is producing 93.58hp and 72ft/lb with total reliability on the track. I have recently purchased a Daytona 675R for this years BEARS racing series so I'm thinking of turning my beloved Scram back into a road bike.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 03:22 AM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #14886
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
...we did a before and after dyno run when fitting the air box removal kit and found 6hp so IMHO
Is that gain with a pure stock motor (w/2 into 1 header, map) or your motor in one of its built up variations?
You did not say.

On a day to day street bike, won't the added expense of a Power Commander (or the like), dyno time and trial and error play in also?

I am glad to hear there can be a 6hp gain pulling the airbox, but there is IMO much involved to get that gain.
I would be curious if an Arrow header, Triumph Arrow map & airbox removal/individual filters alone net that much gain.

I am not arguing the gains Grizzly, rather pointing out to many that you can free up a little more power easy enough. And not much money spent.

You have a race motor and correctly you have squeezed hp out in every weak area.

With the money I could of spent doing what you have, I bought a 67 BSA instead. Badass.
Everybody has their own way.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #14887
keep it simple!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Currently our Scramber is producing 93.58hp
That's unbelievable,knowing that with the big-bore kit + racing cams + PC on a 360°engine German tuners attempt +/- 80hp...
Raisch in Germany did a lot of testing on the Arrows for Scrambler,Bonneville and Thruxton on the stock engine with only mapping/jetting changes. Due to the poor results compared to the TOR's and NH,he decided to sell the Arrows only when a customer asks for...

http://www.classicbike-raisch.de/html/auspuff.html

keep it simple! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #14888
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear View Post
I have recently purchased a Daytona 675R for this years BEARS racing series.
Nice.
I had a brief daydream about getting one of those 675Rs.
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #14889
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
A 93 HP street scrambler..........
My god the potential for awesomeness.............
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #14890
Goat_locker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Cool video..

That was pretty cool. How'd you end up doing the tv thing? I was out on Mother Grundy Truck trail this morning, but on my Husky.

Those are the same ones I think Im going to get, but in the 395mm length. Ive got 370's now, but want some more height.

Let's do some ridin'. I'll send you a pm with my cell number.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
I ended up getting the RZ 362 TRL (no reservoirs) with a length of 360mm. They have adjustable length so I increased the length to about 365mm (which actually matched my stock shocks). They came with a spring length of 220mm (46-20-30-220), but it seemed like I had to crank down on the preload too much, so I exchanged the springs for longer ones, 240mm (46-20-30-240). They seem to work well off road but I am still dialng them in. They are $500 for the pair.

Edit: My scram made a cameo appearance in this news report on San Diego adventure trails. See bonus video for Boulder Creek Rd.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/17005120/a...os-backcountry
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #14891
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_locker View Post
That was pretty cool. How'd you end up doing the tv thing? I was out on Mother Grundy Truck trail this morning, but on my Husky.

Those are the same ones I think Im going to get, but in the 395mm length. Ive got 370's now, but want some more height.

Let's do some ridin'. I'll send you a pm with my cell number.

Mike
When you get a longer shock, does the travel increase any? Those rear shocks only have about 3.5 to 4 inches of travel.

The TV gig was an inside thing. OK let's ride.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #14892
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,844
Has anyone laced aluminium rims to the standard hubs?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #14893
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Is that gain with a pure stock motor (w/2 into 1 header, map) or your motor in one of its built up variations?
You did not say.

On a day to day street bike, won't the added expense of a Power Commander (or the like), dyno time and trial and error play in also?

I am glad to hear there can be a 6hp gain pulling the airbox, but there is IMO much involved to get that gain.
I would be curious if an Arrow header, Triumph Arrow map & airbox removal/individual filters alone net that much gain.

I am not arguing the gains Grizzly, rather pointing out to many that you can free up a little more power easy enough. And not much money spent.

You have a race motor and correctly you have squeezed hp out in every weak area.

With the money I could of spent doing what you have, I bought a 67 BSA instead. Badass.
Everybody has their own way.
Max, Our motor has been in a continual state of development over a period of two years and the installation of the airbox kit was one of the first mods that we did. With each major mod we did a set of Dyno runs so we knew if we were chasing a rat or onto something. While we did have an Arrow 2into1fitted at the time, the power commander came much later.

As I remember without consulting my notes or all of my previous posts on this forum, the basic order of our search for power went something like this:

Arrow 2 into 1 with Triumph tune to suit.
Modify the Arrow baffle insert.
Fit air box removal kit and AI kit.
Port and polish and shave 1mm (40thou) from head.
Fit Wiseco 904 kit.
Fit 2mm larger valves all round.
Fit Power Commander V.

We ran this configuration producing around 83hp for 12 months or so then did the following to lift power to the present state.

Replace the Wiseco 904 kit with a TPUSA 994cc billet barrel and piston kit.
Bore the TB's out to 39mm and have them flowed by Mike from TriumphTwinPower in the UK.
Machine the flywheel from 4kg down to 2.8kg. This mod will not increase power on the Dyno but never-the-less will give much sharper acceleration particularly in the lower gears.

Some folk hold their cards close to their chest when it comes to tuning "secrets" but I dont mind sharing so if the are any specific questions I am happy to give the benefit of our experience!

Further to my earlier post, I spent today converting the bike back for road use so am looking forward to a Sunday ride on it tomorrow! I will post some pics soon. Grizz

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 03:35 AM
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #14894
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Has anyone laced aluminium rims to the standard hubs?
Davo, yes we have done this using Excel rims. Contact Robin who runs the wheel shop at Link International in Brissy. They are the Excel importers for Aus.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #14895
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple! View Post
That's unbelievable,knowing that with the big-bore kit + racing cams + PC on a 360°engine German tuners attempt +/- 80hp...
Raisch in Germany did a lot of testing on the Arrows for Scrambler,Bonneville and Thruxton on the stock engine with only mapping/jetting changes. Due to the poor results compared to the TOR's and NH,he decided to sell the Arrows only when a customer asks for...

http://www.classicbike-raisch.de/html/auspuff.html

I have already spent a bit of time on this website, click on the menu, Motor-vergasser and scroll down to the last two items to do with 39mm TB's and flywheel machining.