Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
You Were Right

And I was wrong.

After just 10 days of owning my used 950 S I have sold my 03 BMW GS Adventure.

I've had 2 GS's now, a 96 and an 03. Loved them both. Put almost 150K miles combined on the two bikes.

Then I rode the 950. Wow. It just works for me.

Both are great bikes. They are very different. I am not making any judgements on which is better for anyone other than me.

But for me, at this time, the 950 is just doing it for me.

I used to take a lot of long, extended trips. I no longer do that much. I used to ride more on pavement and less on dirt. I'd like to try to change that. I used to love the FI, ABS, shaft drive, and all the bells and whistles of the BMW and it's wonderful engineering. Now, I'm going for carbs, no ABS, and chain drive.

I expect the KTM to be more maintenance intensive and also harder to work on. I'll have to see how that goes.

The only downsides to the KTM are:

- Smaller gas range.
- Not as much torque
- More maintenance intensive and harder to work on
- Shorter life of the rear tire...

My old bike goes to it's new owner this week or next. I wish him a great time and hope they have lots of good adventures together.

You were right. The GS is gone.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,182
We told you so.

May you enjoy the 950 for a long time, and travel safely upon it.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,126
I may pull the 950 trigger. Here's a question fom a fellow GS devotee. Would you still take the 950 on an extended trip like the GS ? In other words right now I would think nothing of riding from say NJ to Spokane for the MOA rally. I think you know where Im coming from, so how about the 950 in your opinion. I have a 650 to do local Sunday dirt rides. But even on extended trip Im always looking for the dirt roads and roads less traveled for sure.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I may pull the 950 trigger. Here's a question fom a fellow GS devotee. Would you still take the 950 on an extended trip like the GS ? In other words right now I would think nothing of riding from say NJ to Spokane for the MOA rally. I think you know where Im coming from, so how about the 950 in your opinion. I have a 650 to do local Sunday dirt rides. But even on extended trip Im always looking for the dirt roads and roads less traveled for sure.
I would have no problems with it. Right now my 950 has the stock seat. If that fellow BoeJangles would stop spending so much time on the internet and make a few more seats each week I'd have mine sooner! Other than that, no big difference.

The GS is heavier and therefore IS a better highway cruiser. Winds don't affect it as much, etc.. The GS, at 5K RPM is going about 90 MPH. On my 950, still having the 17T countershaft sprocket, I'd be going about 80. Once the 16T goes on it would be more.

My GS with Jessies has 108 litres of storage. My 950 with Gobi's has about 60-64 or so. This just forces me to take less stuff. But you can get Jesses for the 950 as well.

My GS got about 45-50 MPH and had a 7.9 gallon tank (not sure about the standard GS's any longer), My 950 has 5.9 and gets 40-45 MPG. Not a big deal in almost all places, but could be an issue in some remote locations. I'll just bungie a 2 gallon jug on if I need to.

Chain versus shaft drive is a wash as I don't lube my chain that often (every 1000 miles) and they last 12-15K miles. You still have to service the shaft drive regularly.

Tire wear. The GS will win this. The KTM tends to twist the rear tire a lot (and I like that).

I too tend to always take back roads. I avoid interstates like the plague. If you are the same, the 950 might be the tool for you.

T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-30-2006 at 10:50 AM
Old 05-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,126
Thanks T. I'm freakin over this.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Harder to work on?

Maybe some things, like oil changes and plugs and valves.

But other things are very straightforward, compared to a GS, such as:

Brake bleeding
Clutch replacement
Clutch slave cylinder replacement/overhaul
Drive train repair/replace (if needed)

I just swapped the bars on my 950 and, again, I was peasantly surprised at how easy it was.
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
And I was wrong.

So...when're you gonna change that annoying avatar

If you don't, we'll just talk about you behind your back in the Orange Corner at the next ADVRider Ralley
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
JediBri
Glory to GOD

Oddometer: 501
I'd be happy to email you my old avatar

Glad to hear your digging the bike.

Brian
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB
Harder to work on?

Maybe some things, like oil changes and plugs and valves.

But other things are very straightforward, compared to a GS, such as:

Brake bleeding
Clutch replacement
Clutch slave cylinder replacement/overhaul
Drive train repair/replace (if needed)

I just swapped the bars on my 950 and, again, I was peasantly surprised at how easy it was.
This is very true. My GSA is currently split in half getting a new clutch because the slave cylinder leaked. This can't even happen on a KTM with its wet clutch. Additionally, the final drive bearing is a breeze to swap out on the 950.

I saw the post selling the GSA and said to myself..."Gosh, that didn't take long." Very jealous of your perfect 950S garage queen find. I'm still shopping for one like that.

CMWoody screwed with this post 05-30-2006 at 11:47 AM
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Maint comparisons.

Well, I think my statement about the GS being easier to service still stands. The most common things to service are oil changes and valve adjustments. The GS wins hands down on both of those.

The KTM would certainly win on clutch changes and brake fluid changes, but those are things the average person does not have to do very often at all.

The purchaser of my old GS has asked me for my old Avatar so perhaps it will go to him when he picks it up. I'll just make a new one today for the new bike. Be right back...

Tom
Old 05-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,974
bugger, I should have had money on it.

I'm surprised how quickly the gsa got the chop! But the sad truth was always going to be the gsa would never have been ridden

Long distance rides on a 950? Howbout 17 hrs riding in one day less short meal breaks? 1800 miles in five days, most of it fire trails? Next week about 2k miles of deset crossing? It can do it...

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 AM   #12
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #13
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Less torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
And I was wrong.

I've had 2 GS's now, a 96 and an 03. Loved them both. Put almost 150K miles combined on the two bikes.

Then I rode the 950. Wow. It just works for me.

Both are great bikes. They are very different. I am not making any judgements on which is better for anyone other than me.

But for me, at this time, the 950 is just doing it for me.

I used to take a lot of long, extended trips. I no longer do that much. I used to ride more on pavement and less on dirt. I'd like to try to change that. I used to love the FI, ABS, shaft drive, and all the bells and whistles of the BMW and it's wonderful engineering. Now, I'm going for carbs, no ABS, and chain drive.

I expect the KTM to be more maintenance intensive and also harder to work on. I'll have to see how that goes.

The only downsides to the KTM are:

- Smaller gas range.
- Not as much torque
- More maintenance intensive and harder to work on
- Shorter life of the rear tire...

My old bike goes to it's new owner this week or next. I wish him a great time and hope they have lots of good adventures together.

You were right. The GS is gone.

T.
Infra, do you think shorter life of the rear tire goes hand in hand with Not as much torque?

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:56 AM   #14
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Infra, do you think shorter life of the rear tire goes hand in hand with Not as much torque?
Not sure. I'm basing those comments about rear tire life on the life experiences from Neduro. But, he and I may have slightly different riding styles...

I think the rear tire may last a shorter time as the bike is just so much fun to ride like a sport bike all the time, i.e. ride fast into corners and then power out. Time will tell as I'm still on my first rear tire.

T.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:06 AM   #15
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Would you still take the 950 on an extended trip like the GS ?
I've done "extended trips" on all sorts of bikes, including my airhead GS and K1200RS and many, many others.

Did a long trip to Newfoundland last summer. Trip report here.

Definitely doable.

Since that time I've gone to a Corbin seat (better for me, and lower), Woody's-built 17"/19" combo wheels with Metzeler Tourances and a drastically cut-down windscreen. All the mods would make it even better for long distances (thinking about Alaska next summer).
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote