Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Oddometer: 182
Puke ¿Cool (I mean cool) summer riding in Mexico?

Here in mainland Mexico, in San(d) Blas(t) on the 200, not far from Puerto Vallarta, and I can't help but notice that it's bloody hot!

I was going to follow the 200 down south to Puerto Escondido, but dios mio, I'm melting already!

Looking for some route advice from basically Puerto Vallarta to Belize, passing through cooler (in every sense) areas.

Anybody out there got any suggestions?

Muchas thankyous.

Cam (:
Old 08-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
The central highlands are fairly cool all year round.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
All the rides from ocean to mtns are among the best in Mexico-none are bad. I'd ride toward Patzcuaro/Morelia from where you're located or maybe Oaxaca(city). Then down toward San Cristobal & across to Palenque. The Pacific coast can be very hot even in Jan,Feb,March. If you choose to persevere a bit southward, either ride from ocean to Oaxaca or San Cristobal is well worth it!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Mazamitla, Jalisco was nice and cool in the mountains yesterday maybe like 80f. Lots of good day trips into the surrounding pine forests of Sierra del Tigre.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Told ya
While you are moving around from Mascota to the east run down thru Cd Guzman and maybe Tecalitlan an then up to Tamazula de Gordiano which is a cool town in both senses .Iknow it is on the fringe of Michoacan but it's okay and from there make an arc around the north and east through other states.

Different folks have different heat tolerance of course but avoid bing over dressed for the weather, by which I mean avoid black cordura (TMR) riding coveralls with inadequate ventilation. mesh is the answer , and maybe a spray of water now and then .
The Mexicans have lived there forever and have survived ( though the wealthier class are also becoming slaves to ac)
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 828
A bucket of water poured over your head just before you ride should keep you cool for an hour

Like other said, head inland, to higher elevation if you really need cooler temps.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Head up! Coastal Mexico is prime from Oct to May & then the rainy season hits as does the heat w/ humidity. The Colonial cities in the highlands are your best bet for the summer. The ideal time to start your trip would have been Nov so expect alot of rain. Jay has a rain chart here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556240

At this point you've gone past the Espinazo to Durango so I'd bypass Tepic and take the coast road to las varas and then up 200 and 15 (libre) north to Santa Maria Del Oro lake and check that out. sweet spot and cooler! After that go to Tequila for a night of & then head to the lake Chapala and find perfect weather. You can park your bike and ride the bus into Guadalajara for a day trip to check it out. Then like Kiko said check out the roads south of the lake and Mazamitla. After that you have Patzcuaro & Morelia & then choice from there. San Miguel De Allende & Guanajuato would be top choices as would Queretaro & Bernal. If you drop back down the eastern slope (La Huasteca) is will get hotter and rainier as you go. Other can guide you on from here, but i'd add Valle De Bravo, Taxco, Cuernevaca & Puebla to the mix. After that Oaxaca. You're gonna be hot crossing the low narrow part of Mexico - Tehuantepec no matter what so maybe suck it up and ride down 131 and then hit Escondido & then to Zipolite and then back up 175 to cool off again. The run 190 towards Chiapas and get back up in elevation at San Cristobal...from there you have big routing decisions to make.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 02:13 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
Place a photo of Salma Hayek on your handlebars

You'll soon forget that it is the ambient temperature and humidity making you sweat

There you go - always press the easy button
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #9
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Puke

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Last night, Kat and I camped on the outskirts of San Sebastián del oueste, (which is a pueblo magico). It was very calm and beautiful, and plenty cool. (Some pics on my site).

Tonight, we are anxiously holed up in La Barca, Jalisco- having arrived here at sundown and upon finding a hotel and charging our phones discovering it is a very active cartel murder zone. D'oh!!!!!! There's has been quite a lot of what sounds like gunshots outside, so we have elected to wait til morning to get out and head north, further from michoacan. Our bikes are parked out of sight in a parking lot, so hopefully we are under the radar.

My thoughts are of those that live here and must deal with terror on a daily basis. I have also been thinking about how extreme the motivations of many emigrants really are.

We are definitely regretting not spending the extra time to get online and do adequate advance research.

Wish us luck...

Cam
Old 08-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #10
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
There is a major turf war in La Barca between the Knights of Templar (Michoacan Cartel) and the CNJ, a Jalisco cartel. Not a cool place to linger.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Got outta there and made it to DF today. That was not one o the better nights of my life.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Wicked

Had some fun riding the 190 down to the coast, now we are hot again and headed for the Guatemalan border.

Check my blog for a new video I made using my phone last night. Www.amscray.org
Old 08-18-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Laugh

Went to your blog link and with difficulty ( probably my fault as non blog type)found out how to view your video stuff. Interesting but looks a bit disjointed , no easily seen narrative continuity ., am I missing some steps?
The video clip(s) of moving through traffic would not run on my iPhone, only in jerking steps if I hit advance.
Can you post some of the images here instead?
I did notice that the background music in Mexico DF was Andean pan pipes- ---shouldn't that have been Mexican style music like Mariachi, Jarocho, Ranchero or some other really Mexican sound like the bandits music with bullets whizzing around la Barca
Great ride south on 190 , eh ? Do slow down a bit between the big cities to smell the roses in the highlands of Chiapas and enjoy Guatemala.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Thanks for checking out my blog, and my sincerest apologies for not having mariachi music to accompany that video- when I'm in the Andes, I will make a video with some Mexican polka tunes to balance the universe out.

We have been hooning a bit lately, as la jefa wants to get to Guatemala for some reasons I'm not completely privy to.

More updates soon!

Nos vemos!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
amockalypsenow OP
dirtybiker cam smith

Ps, any advriders from Guatemala we can visit? Get in touch!