User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
atrisk5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Alaska trip. Is this doable?

My buddy and I want to make the run from Houston to Alaska. But we both have business to run and can't be gone for a month at a time. Am thinking about heading up July 7th flying back to Houston on the 23rd then flying back up Sep 1st. and riding back to Houston. The riding in Sept is the part that worries me that far north. He has Goldwing and I will be on ST1300.
He has a family in Homer to keep the bikes at. We have been as far as Baniff in the past.

Your in put is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisk5 View Post
My buddy and I want to make the run from Houston to Alaska. But we both have business to run and can't be gone for a month at a time. Am thinking about heading up July 7th flying back to Houston on the 23rd then flying back up Sep 1st. and riding back to Houston. The riding in Sept is the part that worries me that far north. He has Goldwing and I will be on ST1300.
He has a family in Homer to keep the bikes at. We have been as far as Baniff in the past.

Wouldn't hesitate if it were me - and it has been, more than a few times. October 1st might be a little doubtful, November 1st ill advised, but even that late it's a definite maybe.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
froger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sept. on Vancouver island is as good as it gets. Pretty much the same story for the rest of the northwest too.
Dumb as it sounds, August is the wet month up north. I found that out the hard way.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
atrisk5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like the sound of that. Sept in Texas you are still in the 90's. I was afraid 1st of Sept I would be snowed in. Now if flights weren't so expensive.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
NayteRobertson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Are you concerned with how long it's gonna take to get there and back? My best friend rode to Alaska from here in Mississippi and back in 16 days so it's def possible. But it all depends on what your wanting to experience. If you want to take your time and enjoy it then two weeks isn't enough time. But flying back and forth would def be an option if your able to do that. Either way it's def worth the experience. Good luck and safe travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NayteRobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
froger
Adventurer

Oregon to Dawson for me was nine days up, nine back, averaged 300 miles a day probably. One day on the Port hardy-Prince Rupert ferry, no other time off.
Bad weather and highway construction will slow you down some. On the plus side, I found my fellow road users to be friendlier and more considerate than down south. I usually rode to the front of the construction zone line, and nobody seemed to care. Once the cars were faster than me, and I had to let them all by, but nobody cared then either.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
atrisk5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We would like to not be completely rushed. It is hard for us to be away from our jobs for long periods of time. That's how I came up with the idea of cutting the trip in 2 parts and flying back to Texas for 5 weeks to take care of things at work. We are not Iron Butt riders and allowing 30-35 days of actual travel. Just can't be gone that long. Plane ride is going to be near 1k so the trip is not going to be a cheap one. But we really want to do the ride. Been putting it off for 6 years.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
froger
Adventurer

I think ya got a good plan.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Titan1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisk5 View Post
My buddy and I want to make the run from Houston to Alaska.
IMO dont over think it GO! Make it a safe trip but dont wait...some people never make out of their driveways because of over planning. See my signature trip.
I planned the trip for about a year but I picked a date and stuck with it, no matter what others said or the road conditions or the weather or my life threw at me. I made a decision to get as far to Deadhorse as I could..and I MADE IT.
Even if I had not made it all the way, what I found during the journey was truly incredible.

so GO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6T2U12wmI
Titan1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Yukonduc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
are you sure?

September would not be my choice, I live in Whitehorse Yukon. I have been trapped in snow storms mid September returning from a trip to Arizona. If have heated gear and want to take the chance of bad weather in the passes then go for it. Late June/July is the best time to come up here. Although the mountains look good with fresh snow. I am assuming you want a somewhat pleasant trip, again September would not be my first choice, the first 2 weeks might work but it is alway a bit of a crap shoot. If you stay to the coastal areas - Skagway, Haines, Homer etc then you could be good; however, you need to travel inland to get to those places unless you use the Alaska Marine Highway.

I am heading south to Washington then to California in Late September but I am using the ferry from Skagway to Bellingham there and back. Good luck.

Boyd.
Yukonduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,824
I was stopped by snow west of Watson Lake in early September 2011.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
atrisk5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply's..Booked our flight back to Alaska on sept 3rd. If the weather is good will hang around a day or two then get back south before cold stuff blows through (hopefully)
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
moralem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I am headed to Alaska in July so I will report how doable a trip from Dallas to Fairbanks really is, all in basically 18 days with 2 days for good measure. I don't own my own business but the work I am in really makes it hard to take more than two weeks off. I leave July 23 and have to be back in the office by August 11. Like mist have said I am not going to over plan this. I am having second thoughts of having to get through the hot spots to cooler weather but if I don't do this now I won't ever make it. Anyone have a list of things to take?
moralem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 947
It can be done!
Milwaukee to Key West, FL and then Prudhoe Bay, AK and back home. 11,907 miles in 16 days.

- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827740

Rollin' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
atrisk5 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rollin That is some riding. 16 days 11K miles. Hats off to you. Don't think I will try that.