User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Talking AZBDR March 10 - 16

We are planning on starting a ride following the Arizona Backcountry Discovery Route. We will be starting out at or near the border and plan on getting to Utah or as far as we can get - weather permitting. We will be on a KTM 690 and a Triumph Tiger XCX.

Anyone interested is welcome to join us. We will probably be hoteling it most of the way but will be prepared to camp if we have to.

We would appreciated any intel re route conditions, weather, etc. by anyone that has been on the route lately.

Let us know if you want to join up.

Bob
Old 02-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,482
I don't think the Rim gate will be open but it is low snow year. I have alternate "winter" GPS tracks posted on GPSXchange.com
Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I don't think the Rim gate will be open but it is low snow year. I have alternate "winter" GPS tracks posted on GPSXchange.com
Thanks, once again, Jerry.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Thanks, once again, Jerry.
Actually I need to fix it. I think Northern Traveler told me that the winter route I show just north of Young also has a gate and needs to be moved to the summer route and for winter you must stay on graded road all the way to highway then down highway to winter route.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 3,005
Quote:
If your schedule is flexible, you should wait until the gates open on the main route. The views while riding along the edge of the rim are absolutely amazing.

Dave
Old 02-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Actually I need to fix it. I think Northern Traveler told me that the winter route I show just north of Young also has a gate and needs to be moved to the summer route and for winter you must stay on graded road all the way to highway then down highway to winter route.
Bob, I fixed tracks north of Young for Summer and Winter when gates are closed. The summer route now avoids much of graded road north of Young and all of Hwy 260. Posted on GPSX

Also note I have Track going to Lochiel at the border which is not on BDR Tracks for some unknown reason. Very historic location where first recorded Europeans entered the US in 1500s or something (can't find photo of Monument).

Countdown screwed with this post 02-28-2015 at 02:21 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob, I fixed tracks north of Young for Summer and Winter when gates are closed. The summer route now avoids much of graded road north of Young and all of Hwy 260. Posted on GPSX

Also note I have Track going to Lochiel at the border which is not on BDR Tracks for some unknown reason. Very historic location where first recorded Europeans entered the US in 1500s or something (can't find photo of Monument).
Thanks Jerry. I looked on the site and have a hard time seeing which has the tracks you are speaking of. Could you either send them to me or tell me which title on the site I should be looking at?

Thanks again.

Bob
Old 02-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopaca View Post
Thanks Jerry. I looked on the site and have a hard time seeing which has the tracks you are speaking of. Could you either send them to me or tell me which title on the site I should be looking at? Bob
Bob, Sorry yes confusing on my part. I assume you are looking in Private Libraries on GPSXchangeccom

I don't want to tread on our friends selling BDR maps BDR name even though it was first used by the California OHV commission and second by the State of Oregon.

Over half of the AZ BDR is the same as the Great Western Trail, they split just north of Globe and come back together just north of Flagstaff. Just a little of the very northern part of the UT BDR is also the same as the GWT. The GWT is signed in most of the forests in AZ & UT but not well.

Their complete WA & OR BCD routes are the PCQ which was developed (on Adv) many years ago and I am currently updating the CA portion. All of my tracks are as Dual Sport (2-track jeep or 1 track) as possible with bypass for Adv bikes when necessary.

My GWT Tracks is the last updated and so is at the top of Private Libraries, the PCQ is a little further down.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
lopaca OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob, Sorry yes confusing on my part. I assume you are looking in Private Libraries on GPSXchangeccom

I don't want to tread on our friends selling BDR maps BDR name even though it was first used by the California OHV commission and second by the State of Oregon.

Over half of the AZ BDR is the same as the Great Western Trail, they split just north of Globe and come back together just north of Flagstaff. Just a little of the very northern part of the UT BDR is also the same as the GWT. The GWT is signed in most of the forests in AZ & UT but not well.

Their complete WA & OR BCD routes are the PCQ which was developed (on Adv) many years ago and I am currently updating the CA portion. All of my tracks are as Dual Sport (2-track jeep or 1 track) as possible with bypass for Adv bikes when necessary.

My GWT Tracks is the last updated and so is at the top of Private Libraries, the PCQ is a little further down.
Got it, understood and once again, many thanks.