User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Seebo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Detroit to Orlando

Well the bike is stashed away for the winter, so that leaves me with nothing to do but think about riding. A good buddy and I are planning a ride down to Orlando Florida near the end of April taking I77 to I26 to I95, a slightly more scenic route. We're not packing too heavily as our girlfriends will be flying into Orlando the same day we expect to arrive with clothes and such. So with that said, any advice on stopping points, food etc? Also once we arrive to our destination (florida) what are some cool things to do (besides Disney). I want to see Crystal Springs and spend a day at Venice Beach and Kennedy Space Center. Please any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Seebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Downtown Disney is a more adult oriented area with night clubs, shows, and restaurants. I don't think you have to pay any fees to get in either. I saw Circ-de-sol-a (sp?) there. If you do Disney, which is fun even without kids, there are very good restaurants in Epcot brought from around the world, including Alfraido's (sp?), where the famous fettuccini dish was invented. It's quite good, and different than we're used to here in USA.

In Orlando, there is a piano restaurant, where the servers take turns singing and playing, and it was a more fun evening than I expected.

Daytona is not far, and touring the race track is interesting.

On the NNE side of Orlando is Winter Park, a lovely old classy town with great walking, shopping, and dining options. At least it was 20 years ago.

Traffic in Orlando can be bad, prepare for that.

SE Ohio has wonderful riding, including Ohio 555. Try to get off the interstate, and enjoy some of the smaller roads.

NE Ohio is rich with covered bridges, if you like them.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebo View Post
Well the bike is stashed away for the winter, so that leaves me with nothing to do but think about riding. A good buddy and I are planning a ride down to Orlando Florida near the end of April taking I77 to I26 to I95, a slightly more scenic route. We're not packing too heavily as our girlfriends will be flying into Orlando the same day we expect to arrive with clothes and such. So with that said, any advice on stopping points, food etc? Also once we arrive to our destination (florida) what are some cool things to do (besides Disney). I want to see Crystal Springs and spend a day at Venice Beach and Kennedy Space Center. Please any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
How much time do you have during the ride down? That route being all highway will be very boring. I would take 75 south and once into Knoxville area ride through the mountains down to Atlanta area. Some nice rural roads through southern GA as well. Once you get into FL, its boring no matter what way you take. The best part of going to Florida, is the ride to Florida. Once you are here....well...

Crystal Springs is nice, though in April probably too warm for Manatee viewing if thats what you are going there for. Disney is Disney....I have free admission and haven't been in a long time. Not my thing. Kennedy Space Center is cool for a tourist thing. Same with Cocoa Beach. Why Venice Beach? Unless you have family there skip it and go to Siesta Key Beach. Much nicer. Universal Studios is here as well as Sea World.

Ride to Key West is nice but will kill 2 days. Riding the coast is nice but slow with traffic. I am sure there is more to do but just can't think of much at the moment.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Seebo OP
Adventurer

Boatpuller we will be visiting downtown Disney for dinner at portobellos, and I'm very familiar with the various Disney parks but thanks for the input, my buddy and I plan on drinking around the world (a beer or cocktail at every country showcase lol). Cory1848 unfortunately we are on a bit of a time crunch to be in Orlando when the girls arrive. We will definitely check out siesta key. As for key west that's a bit out of the question as we're renting a condo and not much sense in paying for something we will be away from that long unfortunately. I do want to ride loop road but even that's a bit of a ride when the girls are on the back needing to stop every hour lol. Thanks though guys!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebo View Post
Boatpuller we will be visiting downtown Disney for dinner at portobellos, and I'm very familiar with the various Disney parks but thanks for the input, my buddy and I plan on drinking around the world (a beer or cocktail at every country showcase lol). Cory1848 unfortunately we are on a bit of a time crunch to be in Orlando when the girls arrive. We will definitely check out siesta key. As for key west that's a bit out of the question as we're renting a condo and not much sense in paying for something we will be away from that long unfortunately. I do want to ride loop road but even that's a bit of a ride when the girls are on the back needing to stop every hour lol. Thanks though guys!
Check out the Daiquiri Deck in Siesta Key Village. Good lunch spot with lots of frozen drinks. Girls will love it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Seebo OP
Adventurer

Will do and thanks again.