Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #1
Pboulden OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb Advice for TAT ride from Colorado to Coast (West)

Hey Group,
New to the forum here. Wondering if I could get some quick advice. I know the answers are here in the forum and have been discussed at some point but I can't find the answers.

I'm a long time motocross rider. Looking to buy my first dual sport with the intention of a trip on the TAT from Colorado to Oregon. I'm going to do the trip with a buddy of mine.

Bikes: We are going to buy DR650's. Possibly buy Drz400's. I rode a DRZ from Los Angeles to Vegas about 5 years ago with AdMo group. It was nice, but the trip had full van support and weren't carrying our gear on the bikes.
Seem like this is the "best" bike for this trip in terms of reliability, weight of bike vs power ratio, etc ?

Best time to leave? Would June be a good time to go?

Picking up trail: Even though we live in ATL, we don't have the time to go from TN to Oregon. Thus we are planning on shipping bikes to Denver, then flying in, picking up the bikes and driving South to pick up the trail. Where would be the best point (town) to pick it up the trail? I am going buy the NAV charts but I'm wanting to do a little planning now.

How long would you anticipate the route from, for example, like Salida CO to Oregon be? We are both in our late 30's and fit so riding all-day is ok (300 mile days)

Mods: Plenty of threads to help with that modification.

Any other advice would be super helpful. Sorry if this question is redundant but sometimes you can only get so much from a Google Search.
Pboulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Either of the bikes you've mentioned will be great. Lighter is better….so I'd give the nod to the DRZ. Same goes for your luggage….minimal quantity/weight is best.

If you go with the DRZ and plan to slab it home….I'd recommend that you swap out the front counter sprocket will more teeth (i.e., taller gearing) for the ride home. Stock gearing off-road (i.e., TAT) will be just fine.

The timing of your trip through Colorado depends on the winter/snow pack. It's usually safe to plan on the high mountain passes being clear by the first of July. If the rockies get a massive amount of snow…..the passes will still be blocked in June.

Have a great trip!!
The Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Better decide which version you want to ride, the older Sam gets the wimpier the route seems to be getting. He's now planning to go around Utah/Nevada due to the whining about how hard it is. If he's already quit selling the desert section and you want to ride it shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you my gps tracks.

Salida is a good starting point. Figure two days per state for late 30's peeps in good shape. June is a little too early, July/August are too hot for me and September is just about right.