Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #136
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
I read through most of this thread and had a general question.

What over the counter meds would you recommend taking with you.

I think the obvious ones are Pepto Bismol, Advil/Tylenol, Benadryl.

I've heard rumors that there are good natural meds you can take that help with food digestion etc.

Any recommendations? - thanks!!
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #137
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 541
Immodium AD (or Pepto if you prefer), and Tylenol or Advil go with me. If you need anything else, you can talk to a pharmacist there and get what would be a prescription drug here. If you are uncomfortable with that approach, talk to your doc here and try to get some ciprofloxacin in advance. Cipro has been effective for me at ending battles with intestinal bacteria.

Not sure on natural remedies that you can take in advance or on the trip. There are probably a lot of options there...

Aside from basic precautions (drink treated water, wash your hands), I'd say don't worry too much. I think added worry just makes the risk of sickness that much higher.

Enjoy your trip, and keep us posted!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #138
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,794
Question Tecate to Cabo

hello all.

im going to be crossing into baja via Tecate.

will be staying in the dirt and camping as much as possible on my way down to Cabo San Lucas.

ive never been to baja (or mexico) before.

are there any safety issues / bad areas that i should be aware of ?

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 AM   #139
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp
ive never been to baja (or mexico) before.

are there any safety issues / bad areas that i should be aware of ?
Here are 2 whole threads on that question. It would be nice to keep those conversations there. Personally, I've grown exhausted of hearing about it for the last 2 months of my planning. In my opinion, be wise but if you're overly worried about safety, then don't go. Plenty of places in America to enjoy!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...546927&page=82

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46564
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #140
river-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Motorcycles stolen at gunpoint in San Jose, Costa Rica

Three Motorbikes Stolen At Gunpoint In San José Daily

Riding a motorcycle in San José has always been risky, but now even more as "hampones" (thugs) are now targeting motorcycles, with an average of three motorcycles are taken by gunpoint in San José.

The term in Spanish is "método del bajonazo" and the favourite method by at least three gangs identified by police authorities, who have been very active in the past several months, the latest over the weeking in Aserri, where 18 year old, Deivis José Vega Covaleda, lost his life trying to defend his two wheels.

Deivis was unharmed and died after being shot point blank in the chest by one of the assailants.

Police say that the thugs have no qualms in shooting at victims who resist the attack.

Unfortunately, in the face of the circumstances, all police can say is "be very careful".

Pablo Bertozzi, subdirector of the Fuerza Pública (police) recommends not to ride in solitary areas and not to park bikes on the street.

"If you are being held up at gunpoint, do not resist", are the recommendations of Bertozzi.

According to police statistics, downtown San José, Desamparados, Goicoechea, Tibás, Alajuelita and Escazú are the worst areas. The statistics also include areas of Alajuela and Pococí de Limón areas of high incidents of bike thefts.

According to figures of the Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ) between January 2009 and March 2010, a total of 1.221 motorcycles have been reported stolen.

The majority of the thefts were of new or late model bikes, especially those with motors of 125cc, 200cc and 250cc.

The OIJ believes that the bikes are taken apart to be sold for parts, while others are sold on the black market in rural areas.

river-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #141
REALGRAVEROBBER
LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer: 325
From my ride through Mexico, I learned:

Expensive hotels are almost 100% staffed with people bilingual in Spanish and English. This is a great place to ask directions, etc. To find these, search out the 'el centro' which is usually marked all over larger cities ... or you can see skyscraper tall hotels. Go there and ask the directions you want (food, routes, service, etc.).

Do not ride at night (yes, this means get off of the roads, get indoors, and putter with your luggage, food, clean your clothes/self, etc.).

Know Spanish phrases you will use as well as you can.

Speaking sort-of under your breath to people pay minimize your accent.

Ride a bike that blends in, and do not look rich.

Grow out your beard, hair, and get a tan beforehand.

Keep your wallet, passport, and Swiss Army knife in your front-top pants pocket at all times.

Take anti-diarrhea medicine, anti-inflammatory medicine, and 2 more water containers than you'd usually take.

Bring cheap/small $1 flip flops for around the hotels, etc.

Try to keep your bike narrow so you can drive it inside cheap hotels -- nice to not have to unpack, etc.

Keep watch for an empty one-gallon jug. Carry this somewhere to cut the top off the top and do your oil changes inside your hotel room. The cut-off top is now a funnel!

Bring camp cooking kit with you, so you can cook your own food in your hotel room if you want. It's nice to rest and not ahve to go out searching for food. Ramen and a can of tunafish is cheap, durable, and high in protein, salts (you lose a lot sweating), carbohydrates, is cheap and durable. Yea, I ride a KLR ... did you notice?

Hostels rock. You'll have the best rest there.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Frazier Writing
REALGRAVEROBBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #142
coaxial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit
I've heard rumors that there are good natural meds you can take that help with food digestion etc.
My friends and I have had very good success taking a probiotic supplement while traveling to sketchy areas. Got stomach issues a couple times even when being careful, now I take probiotics daily while travelling and I can even get away with drinking local water with no issues so far!

The kind I use are a jameson brand we have in canada, I've also noticed a "travel" multivitamin that is multivitamin+probiotics.

Current: '91 DR350s mondo enduro commuter!
Past: V-Strom'd to Alaska & Mexico
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #143
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,794
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial
My friends and I have had very good success taking a probiotic supplement while traveling to sketchy areas. Got stomach issues a couple times even when being careful, now I take probiotics daily while travelling and I can even get away with drinking local water with no issues so far!

The kind I use are a jameson brand we have in canada, I've also noticed a "travel" multivitamin that is multivitamin+probiotics.
that is VERY good info.
im calling my doctor on monday for the hook up.
Grassyass!

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #144
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial

Thanks for the info. What I ended up getting was Ciprofloxacin (also known as Cipro) which is an antibiotic for any type of stomach bacteria. 500 mg tablets. You can get it over the counter in a Mexican pharmacy for about $15.00. You'll need a prescription in the states.

My riding buddy got violently ill from lettuce that had been washed in tap water. After about 3 hours of emptying out his system where he could kind of hold something in, he took the Cipro and made it about 20 mins before he lost it again but it was just long enough for it to start taking action. He took another 1/2 of a pill about 4 hours later and 2 hours after that he was ready to ride again. He called it a miracle drug.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #145
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGRAVEROBBER
From my ride through Mexico, I learned:

Damn, I have been doing it wrong the whole time.

Quote:
Ride a bike that blends in, and do not look rich.
Let us know how that works out with a KLR.

Quote:
That does wonders for you blending in, especially the hair and beard, because everyone knows that all Mexicans have long hair and beards.

Quote:
Keep your wallet, passport, and Swiss Army knife in your front-top pants pocket at all times.
Great idea, no thief would ever look there for your important stuff.

This is some great stuff amigo.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #146
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,724

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #147
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
This was :

Quote:

Thanks! I'll try a fake Italian accent next time!

This was :

Quote:

Thanks! I need to blend in better. Based upon your advice I will be giving up my usual shtick when I ride down there:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #148
DaveCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
True but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by river-rider
Three Motorbikes Stolen At Gunpoint In San José Daily

Riding a motorcycle in San José has always been risky, but now even more as "hampones" (thugs) are now targeting motorcycles, with an average of three motorcycles are taken by gunpoint in San José...

The term in Spanish is "método del bajonazo" and the favourite method by at least three gangs identified by police authorities, who have been very active in the past several months, the latest over the weeking in Aserri, where 18 year old, Deivis José Vega Covaleda, lost his life trying to defend his two wheels.

Deivis was unharmed and died after being shot point blank in the chest by one of the assailants.

Police say that the thugs have no qualms in shooting at victims who resist the attack.

Unfortunately, in the face of the circumstances, all police can say is "be very careful".

Pablo Bertozzi, subdirector of the Fuerza Pública (police) recommends not to ride in solitary areas and not to park bikes on the street.

"If you are being held up at gunpoint, do not resist", are the recommendations of Bertozzi.

According to police statistics, downtown San José, Desamparados, Goicoechea, Tibás, Alajuelita and Escazú are the worst areas. The statistics also include areas of Alajuela and Pococí de Limón areas of high incidents of bike thefts.

According to figures of the Organismo de Investigación Judicial (OIJ) between January 2009 and March 2010, a total of 1.221 motorcycles have been reported stolen.

The majority of the thefts were of new or late model bikes, especially those with motors of 125cc, 200cc and 250cc.

The OIJ believes that the bikes are taken apart to be sold for parts, while others are sold on the black market in rural areas.

Just wanted to clarify... the motorcycles that get stolen most of the times are small bikes, the ones used to make deliveries, etc...

I have never, ever, heard of a BMW, KTM, Vstrom, Cruiser, high CC that was stolen..

We think they dont steel this type of bikes because as funny as it may seem to you, we pretty much know anyone with a bike of this type.. we are all somehow connected, a friend of a friend you know... and, we don't buy parts from places or people that don't have good reputation...

Now, some tips if you travel in Costa Rica, don't leave your bike un attended, thiefs love FARKLE and bags .. try to ride during the day.. best if you go 2 up or with another bike.. if you are going to Customs, be patient.. very patient...

It only takes one day to fo from teh Nicaragua border to the one in Panama.. but, what's the rush.. we have plenty of beautiful places, beaches, volcanos...

Feel free to contact me if you are planning to come over here, I can clear doubts, give directions, or even join in some parts of the ride hehe, we are always up for it !

Pura vida !
DaveCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #149
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCR
Feel free to contact me if you are planning to come over here, I can clear doubts, give directions, or even join in some parts of the ride hehe, we are always up for it !
muy amable
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #150
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
hello, here we dont have this kind of situations !!!!! you can go relax !!!!!
EmilianoXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote