Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #166
DirtyBones
Donde esta...?

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlyn' Phil View Post
Also, seems they are catching on to spoting my laminated copies of my drivers license. On the last couple trips I have had several cops/military and bank workers ask me for a real ID and making sure I know they know its a copy. (they still work for buying beer in the states though!) Next time down Ill carry some AAA International DL's for the fake wallet, handing to iffy officials etc. Just a heads up...
Phil
Another way is to go to your state motor vehicle agency and just say you misplaced your license...they'll make you a really official duplicate so that you now have two legit physical licenses. I also kept my old expired state license, and that has worked at every border and checkpoint in every country so far save for one alert cop in Nicaragua who noticed it was expired. He was satisfied with the AAA international driver permit I then produced.

I have never shown my real license on this trip yet...NYC to Peru...(except to the moto officer who pulled me over in California!)

RR: From Deadhorse Down
Blog: www.fromdeadhorsedown.com

"I don’t like to think of laws as rules you have to follow, but more as suggestions." ~George Carlin
DirtyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #167
James66
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I am going to mexico this may (2011) on a KLR from Denver to Baja and Mazatlan then back.
For some parts of the trip I will be riding alone, can anyone recommend what to do if the bike brakes down on the road and I am on my own? who to call etc.

thanks..
James66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #168
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by James66 View Post
I am going to mexico this may (2011) on a KLR from Denver to Baja and Mazatlan then back.
For some parts of the trip I will be riding alone, can anyone recommend what to do if the bike brakes down on the road and I am on my own? who to call etc.

thanks..
(1) Don't panic

(2) Bring some tie-down straps for your bike on your trip.

(3) See the graphic below, if you insure your bike with MexAdventure, their Travel Assistance Coverage will get you out of Mexico if your bike breaks down. Also, they'll get your bike to the nearest repair shop.

(3A) In cell phone range: You can call them on your cell phone. AusFletch used this service when he had a final drive failure outside of Real de Catorce.

(3B) Out of cell phone range: Use your wits to secure your bike or use your straps and pay someone with a pickup truck to truck you to the nearest town. Once in cell phone range use the above option.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #169
James66
n00b

Oddometer: 3
thanks tricepilot
James66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #170
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by James66 View Post

thanks..
In Mexico when on the autopista, try the Green Angels, dial 078 from any cell phone or pay phone. They have English operators, just give them your km marker or approximate location.

If you don't have a cell phone, don't be surprised if a Mexican stops to help you, most likely they will have a cell phone and can call for you. Something like about 300 Green Angels roaming the autopista. A free service but most everyone tips generously.

If you are not on the autopista, someone will probably stop to help you sooner than later.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #171
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
In Mexico when on the autopista, try the Green Angels, dial 078 from any cell phone or pay phone. They have English operators, just give them your km marker or approximate location.

If you don't have a cell phone, don't be surprised if a Mexican stops to help you, most likely they will have a cell phone and can call for you. Something like about 300 Green Angels roaming the autopista. A free service but most everyone tips generously.

If you are not on the autopista, someone will probably stop to help you sooner than later.

+1, the Green Angels are great. A roving mechanic, with lots of tools.
I would see them every trip I made helping someone out along the road, and it always gave me a sense of security knowing that, along the autopista anyway, help was available. Kiko's also right about the general public stopping to help breakdowns. I would stop for a break, and in 15 min. have 3-4 cars stop to ask if I was having a problem. I love Mexico.
Saludos

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #172
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
hello, here we dont have this kind of situations !!!!! you can go relax !!!!!
Been down here in Zihuatanejo most on the winter on my VFR, wife flew in for an 800 mile ride and love Hy 200 best place to ride for the winter, and a great shop for all repairs Motoplaza 1 ask for David great mech.

Don
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #173
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 368
Hey James when are you heading down? What is your intended route and where are you entering Mexico? Just curious as I also am planning a trip south. Planning on continuing down into Central America via Guatemala though. Happy passages and safe journey.

what car?? aka Juan
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #174
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBones View Post
Another way is to go to your state motor vehicle agency and just say you misplaced your license...they'll make you a really official duplicate so that you now have two legit physical licenses. I also kept my old expired state license, and that has worked at every border and checkpoint in every country so far save for one alert cop in Nicaragua who noticed it was expired. He was satisfied with the AAA international driver permit I then produced.

I have never shown my real license on this trip yet...NYC to Peru...(except to the moto officer who pulled me over in California!)

Technically, it's illegal in some states to have two driver's licenses, although I readily confess to doing pretty much what you do, and having them in my wallet in such a manner that I can whip one out and the other one stays in place.

I accidentally left my DL at a truck stop when I filled the RV with diesel, and so naturally requested a duplicate. A few weeks later the missing D/L showed up in the mail.

Mexico used to accept photocopies of your passport in place of the original, knowing that many folks would lock up the original. Dunno if that's changed or not.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #175
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 456
Help going south.

Anyone;

Planning a trip south from San Diego, Ca. for Jan. 2012
time frame with a German aquaintence from my trip to Alaska last year, and trying to get help with first trip to Baja. Then over to mainland Mex. from La Paz. I would like to possibly go up thru Copper canyon on my way up to crossing over at Presidio, Tx. My German friend has to go southeast to the coast to get a boat over to Cuba. So I figured Mazatlan to Durango then north for me and my friend can head over and around Mexico city(staying outside of city) and see some Aztec ruins before heading to the coast at Veracruz, Mx.
I figured 8 days to get to La Paz with some dual sporting(both have some small amount experience). Then one day across the sea of Cortez to mainland 5-6 days to get to the U.S. border or port of departure. Does the ferry still leave on Wednesdays from La Paz, Mx. and does it go to Topobampico or Mazatlan,Mx.??
Any other points of interest that are not too touristy on mainland and also any favorite(current) hotel/motels you can recommend in Baja and mainland.

Sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

Paul
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #176
nailit2em
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Sorry if repeated

Here is an issue that may or may have not been brought up. I am riding to Guatemala City From Kansas City, Mo. My wife is flying there and then riding back with me. We will be exiting Guatemala into Belize then back into Mexico.

Is there anything special I should know about for coming back to the U.S. with a passenger that did not ride down with me?

I'm assuming that she will just have to go through the same process I have to go through at each border crossing. Right wrong?

Also on my Mexican vehicle permit it asked if I had a passenger. When I did it on line I said no because she will not be with me on the way down. Is this an issue with the permit for my return trip home?

Is there anything else I have not thought of with this scenario?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #177
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 470
Tricepilot (quote)
(3) See the graphic below, if you insure your bike with MexAdventure, their Travel Assistance Coverage will get you out of Mexico if your bike breaks down. Also, they'll get your bike to the nearest repair shop.

If your bike is more than 15 yrs old they don't allow full coverage.............is their anyone who does?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #178
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorunny View Post
Tricepilot (quote)

If your bike is more than 15 yrs old they don't allow full coverage.............is their anyone who does?
Well, sure. My cousin, Three Fingers Vito, will do that for you as a favor to me. He's from Detroit.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #179
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
when pulled over they want to see your visa (fmm/fm3,2) above all to first prove you have proper papers for mx. after that a photocopy of visa and then maybe a liscense (as that really is not a legal mx document per say).
you might also have to show your import paper work/sticker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Technically, it's illegal in some states to have two driver's licenses, although I readily confess to doing pretty much what you do, and having them in my wallet in such a manner that I can whip one out and the other one stays in place.

I accidentally left my DL at a truck stop when I filled the RV with diesel, and so naturally requested a duplicate. A few weeks later the missing D/L showed up in the mail.

Mexico used to accept photocopies of your passport in place of the original, knowing that many folks would lock up the original. Dunno if that's changed or not.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #180
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticSun View Post
Yep had to surrender the tourist card, but the cost to leave was covered in my plane ticket interestingly enough. Same with the re-entry. Sabrina needed to go to the bank and pay the tourist visa cost before we left Mexico but I didn't. But the whole procedure was very easy. Thanks to everyone for the information.
plus if you have a fm3 and fly out/in you can apply for those built in fees to be refunded to you as you don't need a new fmm.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote