Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #211
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
I know this is in a thread somewhere; I'm just too huevon to look for it. When fueling up in Mexico, will the station attendants let you pump your own gas?

Also, what is the accepted tip amount for the attendants?

Ya just tell the pump Jockey what flavor/grade you want and they hand you the Nossel. Tip I do but watch how you get ur change because some times they might try and keep a tip before you tip. That being said paying in us dollars getting pesos for change my math ant to good.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #212
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
I know this is in a thread somewhere; I'm just too huevon to look for it. When fueling up in Mexico, will the station attendants let you pump your own gas?

Also, what is the accepted tip amount for the attendants?
I let them pump it. I just tell them to be careful, and they always are. You can tell them that you want to pump it yourself and they will of course let you, but I tip either way. I generally tip a few pesos or the equivalent of US $0.50 for each fill up. Generally I find the Pemex stations to be clean and the attendants to be friendly. I have also asked them to watch the bike for me if I go into the XOXO store or to the bathroom. They always do, and I tip them for this as well.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #213
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Some Mexico Advriders think their bikes run better on Mexican fuel since it contains fewer additives and no ethanol.
+1
I sure think my bike runs better down here, & no fuel strip problems so far like a lot of the other 09 GSA'S are having!!!

side note: I know for sure my old 65 VW runs better south of the boarder.....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #214
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Great thread started by Jeff with whom I shared a lot of dirt on the Trans Lab a few years ago and some smoked arctic char on the Goose Bay ferry.

Leaving for Copper Canyon and beyond in 2 weeks on my beat KLR. I have 2 months and a coffee can full of money. Home when the time or the money runs out. What I lack in preparation I hope to accommodate through resourcefulness and polack luck. Great thing about an old KLR, you can always leave it in a ditch and hitch hike home.

JohnD

Old-n-slo screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 12:00 PM Reason: misspelling
Old-n-slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #215
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugfresh View Post
Howdy.
I'm Canadian and am planning to purchase a used DRZ in Tucson (parents snowbird there) then ride it to Loreto via Guaymas. Then, after visiting in Loreto, head north to L.A.

Will I get screwed around at check points for being a Canadian on a U.S. plated bike? And also, do I have to pay some sort of import fee on my bike that will get returned to me when I leave Mexico? If so, how do you get it returned if you cross , for example, at Nogales, then leave through TJ ?

Also, is there anything I should know about the ferry from Guaymas ?

Thank you for your time.
Crossing this Sat with a Canadian on a Texas plated bike. Not expecting any problems. Will post if otherwise.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #216
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
No problems if bike is registered in riders name. Nationality shouldn't matter. If not registered in riders name I would suggest notarized document authorizing rider to use the bike. I would also make sure the document is detailed to include VIN, description and license number. The more detailed, the better.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #217
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Yep. Applies to bikes with liens, as well. Although Banjercito has never asked to see it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #218
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
If not registered in riders name I would suggest notarized document authorizing rider to use the bike. I would also make sure the document is detailed to include VIN, description and license number. The more detailed, the better.
To obtain a TVIP, both the ownership document, which is either [state registration] -or- [bike title] must match the rider's identity document, which is either [passport] -or- [passport card]

There is no provision for a "letter of authorization" to be able to use someone else's bike.

Technically, if a title is presented with a lien, a fussy official can ask to see a notorized document from the lender authorizing the bike to be ridden in Mexico. I'll leave it to others to comment if such a letter under these circumstances has ever been requested.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #219
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

My last online application for a TVIP required the notarized letter of lienholder permission.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #220
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,401
Friendly reminder to always advise your credit card company that plan to take your card to Mexico and use it there.

Today's exchange rate to 1 US dollar is 13.545 Mexican pesos.

To bond the bike (late model bikes) cost $400 US, which at today's rate is 5,418 pesos.

Your card has to bear this actual charge (later refunded when the TVIP is surrendered on time) or you must be prepared to pay this bond in cash, in addition to the fee for the TVIP, and the fee for the tourist card.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #221
Tlaloc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Patzcuaro to Xalapa

I've mapped this on Google which directs one over the north side of DF. I would like to hear any helpful route suggestions and/or places to see along the way. The plan is to do this in two days. And to avoid DF.

Thanks!
Carlos
Tlaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #222
PlasticSun
Long Live The Supertanker

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
I've mapped this on Google which directs one over the north side of DF. I would like to hear any helpful route suggestions and/or places to see along the way. The plan is to do this in two days. And to avoid DF.

Thanks!
Carlos
From Patzcuaro I'd head towards Angangueo, which is great this time of year and right in the middle of the Monarch butterfly migration. There's the quota to the north of Morelia or take the libre 15 through C. Hidalgo. From Angangueo you can head to Valle de Bravo which is also very nice and cut south from Toluca towards Cuernavaca from there just blast towards Pueblo and Jalapa.

http://binged.it/zMYiWp

If you haven't seen the butterflies before it's well worth the diversion: http://2wheels2boots.com/our-wizard%...d-butterflies/
PlasticSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #223
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,997

i wanna do this!! any suggestions??
Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #224
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post

i wanna do this!! any suggestions??

um...go for it?

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #225
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,695
Ya put on your gear grab a pair of trunks and flip flops hop on your bike cross in tecate hit mikes puerto citos to la bay off road. To guerro negro stay on that side to Cabo. Then turn around. Really baja travel is easy and just that simple. Now as far what Quinn Cody can ride off road and what we can ride off road may vary.

Google rip to the tip

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote