Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #241
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
It involved a raft, liquor, and fast moving water.
That was the beginning.
It then changed to music, improvised pyrotecnics, and liquor.
And we all know that nothing good ever comes from a house with heart shaped windows and all of the above.

She ain't much to look at, no upstairs but ample space for comfort.
Not the politician on the banner LOL! The house. The Love Shack.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #242
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
There's just something memorable about losing your boots/sandals/shoes/etc... in Mexico.
Going shopping for footwear with a king killer helluva hangover or while still loaded is exotic.
I think everyone on this forum can be glad that cel phone cameras, portable video cameras, etc...weren't so common back then.
You got that right...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #243
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
things i've learned and techniques i've used from living in mexico for a year:

i found Mexico to be a safe place. yes petty theft crimes do occur all over and yes those in the drug world are being killed, however the average tourist will feel very safe and welcomed by the mexican people. no you will not be shot at while riding your bike in mexico. has it ever happened? sure and the same can be said for traveling in the US.

try as many types of foods as possible. the amount of new foods will blow you away and you'll find american food very bland after returning. you can find yogurt drink all over mexico. have one a deal to help your stomach deal with food issues. if you can't peel fruit, then soak it in an iodine mixture you can find everywhere. don't pass up all the exotic fruits you've never heard of. some of the best meals and prices can be found from the street vendors.

smiles, holas, buenos dias, buenas tardes, buenas noches, por favors and gracias go a long way to having much better experiences with the locals. even if you do not know spanish learn the basics. bring this tiny guide book with you Mexican Spanish: Lonely Planet Phrasebook
and practice the basics. if you cannot carry a spanish sentence, starting with: hola, buenos dias will get you alot farther than just hi or hola. if nothing else use hola and a smile and look everyone in the eye. americans tend to not do this as much, as it's become a frightful society but mexicans will find it rude if you do not look at them in the eye. mexico is a slower paced society, so it's rude to rush into things like americans do. if you have a question first start w/ pleasantries then ask the question. you'll get a better response.

now if you're on the bike lost just asking for the next location is expected vrs a face to face meeting. mexicans think it rude to not have an answer even if it's the wrong one. don't get made when told to go the wrong way. many have not traveled but a village or 2 away so if you're in rural areas talk about the next area over. in cities i ask for the next biggest city over and often ask again the next person i see just to verify. i used bicimaps for gps navigation http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/English.htm they are rout-able and work well enough. expect errors at times. i also have a guia roji atlas 2012 Mexico Road Atlas and a nat geo map for the big picture Mexico Adventure Map

if you offer a gift to a mexican and they say no, this is common. they expect you to offer it again and they will accept the 2nd time. if you are offered a gift, it's expected you say no at 1st (even if you want it). they'll say it again and say yes even if you don't want it. if you really want it just say yes the 1st time, shake their hand and says gracias alot.

most anything can be bargained except for commercial fixed price stores, gas & tolls. if your at a market it's expected. at a store try it. need a hotel, ask for habatacion mas barato (cheap) or economico after they give you the price. sometimes the prices goes down sometimes not.

the easiest way to get $ is from an atm. let your bank know you'll be in mex. so your card will work. travel alot or want to save on the atm fee?
i use a free online bank of america ebanking acct w/ debit card https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposi...check_overview when i use satander or scocia bank atms there is no atm fee and the overal exchange rate is even better than taking cash into a bank (and waiting forever to get it exchanged).

mega, commercial mexicana and other smaller stores all have atleast one of these atms in the bathroom area as well as stand alone santander and scocia banks you'll find. i also have a ussa card i use in a pinch which refunds atm fees. if your (ex)military then use that acct. if it's only a shorter trip then just use your existing atm card and let the bank know your in mex. you'll pay anywhere between $2-$7 for the atm transaction so take out max pesos per withdrawl. you can often get some peso before to leave the us at a bank but the rate is not as good. i like to have $50+ in pesos on day 1 when entering. there are cash money exchangers when you cross over so you could do this here is need be before you find atms.
the rate falls in the middle of the range but you need $. what you are looking for is the the lower of the 2 prices listed. that is the exchange you'll get in pesos for your dollars.

mexico is a cash society. if a biz accepts cards they are over-priced tourists joints to start with.

expect to pay for a public toilet and bring your own tp/tissues. always use a restaurant toilet when you have the opportunity. it's ok to stop back in latter as they will remember you.

gas station attendants are paid with tips. they'll let you pump but throw them a few pesos or stop a few shy of the bills you're paying with. food store baggers also survive on tips. i tip 15% at restaurants but street vendors don't expect a tip nor do taxi drivers. always negotiate taxi fare before the ride.

smile to mexicans and the gesture will be returned 3 fold. don't be shy and accept personal space is ALOT less than in the US. when lines form be aggressive at times as they will pass you by.

photocopy all your important docs and give that to the police if stopped. after that give a photocopy of your license. if ticketed they keep it till you pay. by law they can't keep your passport and never show it. if you've done nothing wrong wait it out and say write me a ticket or let me go. they're waiting for a bribe but if you've done nothing wrong don't pay. i told a transit copy in puerto vallarta "no" for 10 min. then he let me go. if asked where your going say here....i love this place. so do they. only transit cops will give you tickets. federal police and military are looking for drugs. you can pass them if need be. they don't care. make traffic rules as you go because the locals do. lane split to the front and so on. it's very liberating vrs all the rules in the us. mexican drivers are fast but attentive. be precise and direct in your actions. they expect that.

few phrases you'll here or try to use
-que le vaya bien (said to you when you're leaving).
i respond with gracias y tu tambien (thanks & you 2)
http://www.peoplesguide.com/1pages/c...en/que-le.html
-que bueno (you say)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_que_bueno_mean
-muy sabroso (to the cook)
very good/flavorfull
-chido (cheedo)
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chido

... to be continued
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 11:55 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #244
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
...smile and look everyone in the eye. americans tend to not do this as much, as it's become a frightful society but mexicans will find it rude if you do not look at them in the eye....
This is so true! I was watching that "RestRepo" documentary on the war in Afghanistan and it drove me crazy to see the US "negotiator" wearing Oakley sunglasses every time he had to speak with a village elder. No wonder they hate us.

Thank you for the great tips, most of them are common sense for the traveler, and as we know, common sense is usually not very common .
Old 05-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #245
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
This is so true! I was watching that "RestRepo" documentary on the war in Afghanistan and it drove me crazy to see the US "negotiator" wearing Oakley sunglasses every time he had to speak with a village elder. No wonder they hate us.

Thank you for the great tips, most of them are common sense for the traveler, and as we know, common sense is usually not very common .
This is true. but after all the crap that has gone on over there, they would hate us anyway. Still, it doesn't excuse being rude.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #246
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Read my post about Mexico STOP SIGNS on page 7 of this very sticky. You will be glad you did as soon as you cross the border and are in the border town with one-way streets.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #247
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Mike, Mike, Mike ... a house with heart-shaped windows. Love it!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #248
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

PJ, that house is in Puebla, on the way out of Ciudad Serdan on the bypass.
In fact, you'll see this car before you see the house.
I have no idea what version of "Windows" this one is! LOL!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #249
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,665
Looks like a hearse
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #250
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, it's for those who die with their boots on in the Love Shack with the heart shaped windows.
And imagine! People thought a route full of old haciendas would get boring. LOL!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #251
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Mexico/CA cost summary

Hi everyone! Sorry it took me so long to get around to doing this, but here is a cost summary of my trip to Panama last year:

Cost summary of motorcycle trip from Albuquerque, NM to Panama City, Panama 2011
**Note: The XT225 averaged 80 mpg**

*Mexico:
--Gas: $3/gal
--Total in gas (4,498 miles): $168
--Oil: $4-5/L
--Import: $36
--Insurance: $173/6 months ($136 for one month)
--Average costs per day excluding the above: $30

*Guatemala:
--Gas: $4.60/gal
--Total in gas (1,003 mi): $58
--Import: $13
--Insurance: none
--Average costs per day excluding the above: $23

*El Salvador:
--Gas: $4.10/gal
--Total in gas (308 miles): $16
--Import: $0 ($5 road use fee)
--Average costs per day excluding the above: $25

*Honduras:
--Gas: $4.5/gal
--Total in gas (451 miles): $25
--Import: $34
--Average costs per day excluding the above: $20

*Nicaragua:
--Gas: $4.40/gal
--Total in gas (888 miles): $49
--Oil: $5/L
--Import: $12
--Insurance: $12 for one month

*Costa Rica:
--Gas: $5.23/gal
--Total in gas (699 miles): $46
--Oil: $5/L
--Import: Free ($2 fumigation)
--Insurance: $14

*Panama:
--Gas: $4/gal
--Total in gas (425 miles): $21
--Import: $1 (plus fumigation, which I drove by)
--Insurance: $15 (1 month)

*Whole trip:
--Oil: $40 (8 oil changes)
--Total in gas (9,158 mi): $383
--Importation/fumigation fees: $103
--Insurance: $214
-- Average per day excluding the above: $25

**Notes**
This cost summary includes the essentials: food, drink and accommodation costs, as well as personal miscellaneous costs (health, hygiene, postcards, a couple hospital visits, clothing, etc). It does not include the optional things I did for fun, such as SCUBA diving and zip-lining, nor does it include optional motorcycle costs, such as the ferry from Baja to Mainland Mexico.

My accommodations consisted of hotels and hammocking in Baja, hotels in northern Mexico (hotel costs were sometimes split with others), hostels in southern Mexico, and a mix of hostels and hammocking for all of Central America. Food was almost exclusively street meat and local hole-in-the-wall restaurants, nothing fancy.

Also, I traveled slowly (I took seven months to do this trip, including a 1 ˝ month break from motorcycling spent on Little Corn Island in Nicaragua). If you’re trying to do this trip in a few weeks or a couple months, you’ll probably have a higher cost per day to budget for.

And, finally, I think my bike helped keep things cheap: awesome gas mileage, never had any mechanical issues, the tires lasted the whole way there, and the oil capacity was only 1 liter, so even that was cheap.

Hope this is helpful!
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #252
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
^

Excellent summary
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #253
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post
*Whole trip:
--Oil: $40 (8 oil changes)
--Total in gas (9,158 mi): $383
--Importation/fumigation fees: $103
--Insurance: $214
-- Average per day excluding the above: $25
I should probably note that 8 oil changes is not typical. I tried to drown my bike in a Costa Rican river, and 5 oil changes was the result
alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #254
willemdamen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
A+ info

Thanks for posting that as I will ride to S.A this Oct from Chicago this info saves me a lot of web searching
willemdamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #255
highrpm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Border Cross Question Again

I'm sorry for beating this dead horse, but I'm not 100% sure on the border crossing with a bike that I have a lien on.

I want to ride through Mexico for a few short days, from Texas into Arizona. My bike has a lien which is shown on the title, but the registration doesn't mention anything about it.

I jsut want to make sure that I can cross into Mexico and back out with just the registration (and my drivers license and passport and insurance), and without the title which does show the lien.