Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #301
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #302
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
I was aware that you could not cross but I was also aware of the purported opening dates( April) I had read about here.The Boquillas portion was an add on to visiting Big Bend NP and we are planning for a September or October visit and the final research had not yet been conducted. I am not overly sensitive but your query as to how I was going to cross to Boquillas certainly does, and still does to me, smack of a set up.
Think whatever you want to, but when you go to BB (October is better), think about staying at Big Bend Resort in Study Butte. Its not a resort, and has a pretty good restaurant next door that has a good breakfast, and a gas station. Ive stayed there four or five times. Eat at the Starlight in Terlingua, also at la Kiva, and at the Long Draw Pizza. The food at the hotel up in the Chisos Basin is also pretty good. There is a good steak house in Ojinaga about a block from the square ( sorry I can't remember the name). If you find yourself in Alpine around lunch or dinner go to the Riata steak house and you won't be sorry.
There, I'm through setting you up. Bon Voyage.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #303
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Think whatever you want to, but when you go to BB (October is better), think about staying at Big Bend Resort in Study Butte. Its not a resort, and has a pretty good restaurant next door that has a good breakfast, and a gas station. Ive stayed there four or five times. Eat at the Starlight in Terlingua, also at la Kiva, and at the Long Draw Pizza. The food at the hotel up in the Chisos Basin is also pretty good. There is a good steak house in Ojinaga about a block from the square ( sorry I can't remember the name). If you find yourself in Alpine around lunch or dinner go to the Riata steak house and you won't be sorry.
There, I'm through setting you up. Bon Voyage.
Thank you the info will come in handy. October is better? Weatherwise, crowds?
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #304
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Pride and Dignity only impede adventure!
But tequila breaks down those barriers, eh? ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #305
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I think my ex left a partial tube of Vagisil in the bathroom drawer.

Just in case anyone's needing some.

If not then back to Planning and Road Wisdom............

Is that the Vagisil Regular or the Vagisil With Extra Sand?

Now .. At the risk of offending my friends (Ace!) let me "say this about that" to paraphrase Richard Nixon ...

There was another thread where we discussed the legalities of crossing back and forth, with and without bikes.

First of all, the water in the area is around 8ft. deep so ya'd better have a plan.

But one of the inmates contacted the Federal Park Police (or whatever the hell they are officially called) and they said, point blank, that they wouldn't stop anyone crossing into Mexico with a motor vehicle. It wasn't their problem.

So it's not totally out of the question. I have given thoughts to pioneering the crossing myself but at the moment I am stuck in the oil fields 24/7 7 days a week and can't do it. Personally I think that a polite challenge could eventually open the crossing to two-way traffic.

I do have some aspirations to explore some of the Mexican border roads and villages in that area but am waiting until the hostilities end.

So go for it guys!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #306
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you the info will come in handy. October is better? Weatherwise, crowds?

Should be better weather wise; maybe a few more people. Maybe call two or three of the hotel/motels out there and inquire about lodging situations for specific dates.
P.s.
I was very serious about my eating recommendations out there.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #307
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Is that the Vagisil Regular or the Vagisil With Extra Sand?

Now .. At the risk of offending my friends (Ace!) let me "say this about that" to paraphrase Richard Nixon ...

There was another thread where we discussed the legalities of crossing back and forth, with and without bikes.

First of all, the water in the area is around 8ft. deep so ya'd better have a plan.

But one of the inmates contacted the Federal Park Police (or whatever the hell they are officially called) and they said, point blank, that they wouldn't stop anyone crossing into Mexico with a motor vehicle. It wasn't their problem.

So it's not totally out of the question. I have given thoughts to pioneering the crossing myself but at the moment I am stuck in the oil fields 24/7 7 days a week and can't do it.

Personally I think that a polite challenge could eventually open the crossing to two-way traffic.

I do have some aspirations to explore some of the Mexican border roads and villages in that area but am waiting until the hostilities end.

So go for it guys!
No offense taken here PJ !
Even if the water weren't 8 ft deep, I don't think I'd try it unless I had a good bit of local knowledge. Even in the shallow areas the mud bottom can be 1-2 feet deep. I've stepped in some of that mud and it was a deep smelly mess.
There are some shallow gravel bars that I've seen locals cross on horseback. The last time I watched a local cross on horse over to Boquillas, he started out in ankle deep and ended up about belly deep on his horse. I don't think my F650 would like that.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #308
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

PJ,
You stated the park rangers wouldn't stop anyone crossing into Mexico. I bet crossing back would be a different story. They would certainly have the authority to detain you for the ICE guys. Then you have a whole new set of problems.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #309
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
PJ,
You stated the park rangers wouldn't stop anyone crossing into Mexico. I bet crossing back would be a different story. They would certainly have the authority to detain you for the ICE guys. Then you have a whole new set of problems.
I think that is precisely correct.

With that said I don't think it's out of the question to work some sort of deal with them and get per-cleared if you have a US passport, but that's a few years down the road. And that's from my experiences of living around the border for the last few years and knowing that the Border Patrol does quietly allow some "regulars" to cross at non-official crossings.

But it is fairly rare.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #310
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Won't be any immigrations officers at Boquillas. The facility will be manned by park rangers with remote check-in for those returning. That means you'll show your passport to an immigration officer via some scan device. IMO a small bike could be taken across and back with enough pesos and a big enough boat. Maybe when I get the WRR......

Last time I had to rent a horse.

BTW, Joe, if the river's not running real high you can ride that Harley down to the hot springs. Took ours down there last year.

Spring bloom is the very best time for BBNP, IMO.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #311
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
No offense taken here PJ !
Even if the water weren't 8 ft deep, I don't think I'd try it unless I had a good bit of local knowledge. Even in the shallow areas the mud bottom can be 1-2 feet deep. I've stepped in some of that mud and it was a deep smelly mess.
There are some shallow gravel bars that I've seen locals cross on horseback. The last time I watched a local cross on horse over to Boquillas, he started out in ankle deep and ended up about belly deep on his horse. I don't think my F650 would like that.
Knowing Mexico, it will be a matter of hours before a ferry or three appear. Soon to be followed by "officials" from both sides offering to issue a "license".

With that said the big question will be whether or not the ferry can accommodate a motorcycle.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #312
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Agree about spring blooming time. It can be pretty spectacular.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #313
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Knowing Mexico, it will be a matter of hours before a ferry or three appear. Soon to be followed by "officials" from both sides offering to issue a "license".

With that said the big question will be whether or not the ferry can accommodate a motorcycle.
The canoes they used in the past could handle a small bike. Only a matter of time before that pic is posted. My money's on John & Milton.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 10:17 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #314
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Should be better weather wise; maybe a few more people. Maybe call two or three of the hotel/motels out there and inquire about lodging situations for specific dates.
P.s.
I was very serious about my eating recommendations out there.
Thank you again and I will check out your restaurant recommendations excepting the pizza restaurant. I'm from New Haven CT and a pizza snob. There is no finer pizza in the world than in New Haven. Pepe's, Sally's, The Spot, Modern. Just ask your fellow inmate tricepilot.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #315
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you again and I will check out your restaurant recommendations excepting the pizza restaurant. I'm from New Haven CT and a pizza snob. There is no finer pizza in the world than in New Haven. Pepe's, Sally's, The Spot, Modern. Just ask your fellow inmate tricepilot.
I understand. I used to spend some time around Providence. But, it wouldn't hurt to add some Southwest Texas pizza to the life experience. Plus the beer is real cold.