Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #361
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
I was thinking all this Harley talk is going to flush out the lurking Mystery Rider, but he ain't takin' da bait!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #362
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Someone, please take me outside and shoot me if I ever decide to ride a Harley!

SR screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 10:02 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #363
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Not to get too far off topic.... but I can't resist.... I just rode 1000 miles of rocky rough Idaho back country roads on the 2012 Sasquatch ride. The GSs were dropping left and right but this guy absolutely tore up the trail on his Harley. Chinese Wall, Magruder Corridor, no problem. Plus at 60+ years old he had at least a decade on most of the riders.

Back on topic ..... Deby and I are leaving January 10, 2013 for Central and South America so thanks for all the advice posted here.
The Sportster is probably more dirt worthy than the GS, FWIW.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #364
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Please take me outside and shoot me if I ever decide to ride a Harley!
All depends on how you ride it amigo. . Bar hopping in a group of twenty while dressed up like a pirate.......fail. Sand and rocks in the Bolivian Altiplano solo, good on ya.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #365
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Heretic!

Burn him! Burn him!

I expect Mert Lawwill agrees with you.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #366
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Whatever gets you where you want to go.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #367
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
That Sportster in the pic is interesting, but I imagine that motor will get really hot on some trails. That guy who did Russia on the Sportster was a great thread.
The biggest beef I have with Harley guys here is that if I get stuck working through a group of them on a twisty road in order to pass them, I'll be nearly deaf by the time I get ahead of them!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #368
highrpm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Another Mexico Question - Plate or no for dirt bikes?

I have another question for you guys regarding bikes with plates or not. For Baja or Copper Canyon, do I need to have a plated bike or can I just trailer my non-plated dirt bike down to Mexico and stay on dirt roads with it?

It seems like that wouldn't fly in any country but then again here in Michigan we can ride trails and ride on the side of the road in most counties without plates.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #369
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm View Post
I have another question for you guys regarding bikes with plates or not. For Baja or Copper Canyon, do I need to have a plated bike or can I just trailer my non-plated dirt bike down to Mexico and stay on dirt roads with it?
Yes. You will be good to go if you stay off-road.

Falls under the aduana "One Plated Vehicle Per TVIP" stipulation.

You will need the non-plated bike's VIN, and the last four of this VIN will appear on the TVIP for your tow vehicle/truck.

This is not to construe that you have two road permissable bikes on one TVIP. Remember the rule.

You will be temporarily importing the dirt bike under the recreational vehicle clause.

The confusion sets in when someone wants to trailer a plated bike to Mexico. The confusion is further compounded when the plated bike is allowed to appear (last 4 of the VIN) on the TVIP by the aduana. This is not permission to park your truck in Mexico and ride away on paved roads on your motorcycle. Technically, the only vehicle allowed on the road is the first vehicle listed (with full VIN number). Would you get caught? Not always. Some would say probably never. But it is up to the consumer reading this what chances they wish to take.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #370
highrpm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
tricepilot, thanks again!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #371
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

no charge
Old 09-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #372
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrpm View Post

It seems like that wouldn't fly in any country but then again here in Michigan we can ride trails and ride on the side of the road in most counties without plates.

When I take an unplated (CA green or red sticker) bike to Baja, I usually have a buddy take me to the border with the bike in truck, then just off load it and ride across. I have ridden non plated but stickered bikes on pavement without issue in Baja. The Baja cops consider your red ar green sticker as your registration. Not sure if you have something similar in MI. Can't comment about doing that around copper canyon, but me guess is that it could be similar.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #373
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I have ridden non plated but stickered bikes on pavement without issue in Baja.
This would probably not work so well on the mainland.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #374
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
It's all good. I personally think it's very, very fun and cool to have a Harley rider along for back roads riding here.
Makes me feel good to be able to pass someone for a change. LOL!

I was riding along Route 66 cruising along @ 65mph west of Oatman AZ when a DS blasted by me at mach1. When I arrived in Oatman lo and behold there was the DS rider. I pulled up next to him and asked him if he had seen the herd of mustangs gazing down on the road from atop a mesa about 5 miles back. He said mesa? what mesa? mustangs I didn't see any mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Someone, please take me outside and shoot me if I ever decide to ride a Harley!
Some like to 'tour' and take in the surroundings and Harleys are tailor made for that.

Quote:
All depends on how you ride it amigo. . Bar hopping in a group of twenty while dressed up like a pirate.......fail. Sand and rocks in the Bolivian Altiplano solo, good on ya.
Dressed like pirate! I like that one.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #375
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Harleys

I have never ridden one. The noise here in Telluride during the summer is deafening. The only thing louder is the F-16's flying over at below minimum on the Fourth of July. Very exciting... the Harleys less so but they are absolutely welcome, along with anything else that rolls into our little box canyon. We had maybe two hundred vintage cars last week... absolutely incredible... but I digress. Back in the late sixties when I had my first bike I went down to Daytona for Motorcylcle Speed Week... I was a member at the time of something called he AAMRR (American Association of Motorcycle Road Racers) we called it the alphabet and it sponsored club races at Marlboro, VIR in Danville, VA, Lime Rock CT and other such places... largely a collection of intellectuals and East Village types riding Ducati's, Yamaha TD's, Triumphs, BSA's, Norton's and such like and wearing black leathers and bean pots (a la Mike Hailwood if ya can remember) And the chicks were cool, mesh stockings, straight skirts and berets. ("Red hair and black leather my favorite color scheme". Thanks Richard Thompson... and we had six Vincent Black Shadows through here a couple of weeks ago... what an amazing machine for late forties/early fifties!) The man who had the AMA #1 Plate at Daytona was Gary Nixon and he rode a Harley. It didn't scream like the very quick Yamaha TD1B... it growled and ate everything in sight. They do dress funny though... I guess one could say the same of ice climbers.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote