ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #391
AK Smitty
AK Smitty
 
AK Smitty's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: AK
Oddometer: 306
into Mexico on Oct 30

Seattle Jan 1!!!! Good luck with that!! I rode from Portland last year in Nov and it was tough. I also got to ride thru the every ten year storm and cold snap all the way to Death Valley. Oh well all part of the experience haha

I cross into Mex on Oct 30 and spend a couple of days in Hermosillo to visit a friend. Then off to PV.

I will PM you my spot later

CA is skinny I am think there is a good chance we may run into each other




Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Hi, it looks like I'll be a little behind you. We're leaving Seattle around Jan 1 and plan on crossing into Mexico on January 14 or 15th. Down Baja and the ferry across then south to Panama. Then somehow (TBD) from Panama to Cartagana and Sur. We are a group of 6 on various BMW's. Shouldn't be too hard to miss if you see us. Bookmark my SPOT link in my sig. I'll have it on while travelling. When will you cross into Mexico?
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #392
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 3,389
Hi guys, we are crossing Nov 2nd into Mexico then slowly zig zagging our way south, stopping in Guate for a month on Spanish etc.

Look forward to bumping into you guys if we can.

Cheers Andi & Ellen
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #393
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,248
Just some quick questions for you frequent Mexico travellers...

1. How much currency should I expect to convert for 2 riders (self and wife) to motel it ,food , gas for a 10 day trip to the Copper Canyon/ Batopilas from Palomas via Creel? NOT LUXURY......

2. Is it still a $400 bond on your bike (2007) this year? Can you still use a Visa chg. card for the bond?

3. Is there any charge for a 10 day entry tourist visa or is there a shorter period of time that would avoid a charge?


Thank you..... ahhh muchas gracias.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #394
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Just some quick questions for you frequent Mexico travellers...

1. How much currency should I expect to convert for 2 riders (self and wife) to motel it ,food , gas for a 10 day trip to the Copper Canyon/ Batopilas from Palomas via Creel? NOT LUXURY......

2. Is it still a $400 bond on your bike (2007) this year? Can you still use a Visa chg. card for the bond?

3. Is there any charge for a 10 day entry tourist visa or is there a shorter period of time that would avoid a charge?


Thank you..... ahhh muchas gracias.
1) I would show up with about $1000(~$85USD) pesos just to avoid having to worry about it while at the border. The best way to get cash is through ATM. You won't be making it to Batopilas on the regular route unless you ride through the construction zone. (they let me through but it was too muddy) Beemer67 spent 2 days trying to get up the canyon and ended up paying a guy $100 to haul his bike out.
2) They charge you the $400 on your credit card and you get it back when you cancel your TVIP within the permitted time period. You need a credit card for the fees I believe. (I've never used cash, why would you want to)
3) Tourist Visa carries nominal charge ($30 USD I think). No way around that or TVIP.
PM for route info.
__________________
Guero from Texas

jimmex screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 07:52 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #395
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
1) I would show up with about $1000(~$85USD) pesos just to avoid having to worry about it while at the border. The best way to get cash is through ATM. You won't be making it to Batopilas on the regular route unless you ride through the construction zone. (they let me through but it was too muddy) Beemer67 spent 2 days trying to get up the canyon and ended up paying a guy $100 to haul his bike out.
2) They charge you the $400 on your credit card and you get it back when you cancel your TVIP within the permitted time period. You need a credit card for the fees I believe. (I've never used cash, why would you want to)
3) Tourist Visa carries nominal charge ($30 USD I think). No way around that or TVIP.
PM for route info.
On #1 Jimmex.......... You mean 2 people for 10 days would only be about $85 US? Seems a little small. I was going to do a border dollars to pesos conversion at exchange at the border. Then when I came back through, convert back to USDollars.

In regard to the road itself from Creel to Batopilas.... We are going in 2013 in April and know that some of this is paved. At what point is it impassable, right at the canyon lip? Avoid for 2013 until construction is done or just go into Batopilas from a different road altogether? What is your recommendation? We have a 650 WeeStrom and for all I care we can ride all blacktop if that exists. We are leaving from Palomas and want to get to Bato the best way to see it. Thanks for your comments.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #396
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,166
http://http://advrider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=827769[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
On #1 Jimmex.......... You mean 2 people for 10 days would only be about $85 US? Seems a little small. I was going to do a border dollars to pesos conversion at exchange at the border. Then when I came back through, convert back to USDollars.

In regard to the road itself from Creel to Batopilas.... We are going in 2013 in April and know that some of this is paved. At what point is it impassable, right at the canyon lip? Avoid for 2013 until construction is done or just go into Batopilas from a different road altogether? What is your recommendation? We have a 650 WeeStrom and for all I care we can ride all blacktop if that exists. We are leaving from Palomas and want to get to Bato the best way to see it. Thanks for your comments.
Obviously 1000 pesos is just to get you into the interior where you can use an ATM to get more cash. Refer to this for latest on road to Batopilas: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827769
I wouldn't plan on getting there unless you're on a dirt bike but there are two routes into the canyon, one through Guachochi and Yoquivo, the other is the detour route from Samachique. The latter is too rough for Wee 2-up. What I would do is just forget about Batopilas or inquire at Guachochi the condition of that road. Unless your wife is the tough a intrepid, I probably would not attempt this. What I did was go to the end of the pavement just past Kirare and through the road closure signs to show my GF the overlook. That is exactly where the construction zone begins right now. We looked then rode bak out to Guachochi and out to the Sinforoasa overlook which is breathtaking. The road on to Parral is very nice as well. Suerte, Jim
__________________
Guero from Texas

jimmex screwed with this post 10-24-2012 at 02:30 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #397
buls4evr
No Marks....
 
buls4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Michissippi & Nuevo Mexico
Oddometer: 2,248
Thank you jimmex...........
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #398
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,384
I'll second Jimmex's ATM advice. Better, IMO, to use one at a bank than an OXXO, etc. But I've made discreet use of OXXO ATM's as well.

Enjoy México!
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #399
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,648
I agree with Schizzman. I avoid "freestanding" atms. Find a bank atm.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #400
beemer67
Really Old airhead
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Fish Limb, B.C. Canada
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
1) I would show up with about $1000(~$85USD) pesos just to avoid having to worry about it while at the border. The best way to get cash is through ATM. You won't be making it to Batopilas on the regular route unless you ride through the construction zone. (they let me through but it was too muddy) Beemer67 spent 2 days trying to get up the canyon and ended up paying a guy $100 to haul his bike out.
2) They charge you the $400 on your credit card and you get it back when you cancel your TVIP within the permitted time period. You need a credit card for the fees I believe. (I've never used cash, why would you want to)
3) Tourist Visa carries nominal charge ($30 USD I think). No way around that or TVIP.
PM for route info.
Hi Jim,
I have now made it back home. Damn sight colder and wetter up here in the 'great white north'. Amazing bumping into you and your girlfriend in Guachochic!
Adding to your comments for Buls4evr:

My Visa just showed Tourist Visa at $23
TVIP after bond returned, import charge was $60
Insurance (3rd party only ) $5 a day
Just use credit card for bond, they credit it back within a couple of days when you leave. Real simple.

According to locals in Batopilas it will be up to 4 years to complete road into canyon. Now they are paved to the top of the downhill, where it is really only a two track all the way down , I can see them leaving this road closed to public.

The road via Guachochic and Yoquivo could be done two-up as long as there hasn't been any recent rains. The trucks just chew up the track into mud ruts making it tricky even for 4 x 4's.

The road out via Samachique is even worst, and impossible if wet. I spent 5 hours to cover 28km before giving up.
beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #401
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,166
Hey Chris,
I'm glad you made it home okay. That was was so cool running into you in Gauchochi. I knew it was you the moment we passed. You are the intrepid man.
Why don't we plan on running into each other next year. Saludos, Jim
__________________
Guero from Texas
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #402
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
1) I would show up with about $1000(~$85USD) pesos just to avoid having to worry about it while at the border. The best way to get cash is through ATM. You won't be making it to Batopilas on the regular route unless you ride through the construction zone. (they let me through but it was too muddy) Beemer67 spent 2 days trying to get up the canyon and ended up paying a guy $100 to haul his bike out.
2) They charge you the $400 on your credit card and you get it back when you cancel your TVIP within the permitted time period. You need a credit card for the fees I believe. (I've never used cash, why would you want to)
3) Tourist Visa carries nominal charge ($30 USD I think). No way around that or TVIP.
PM for route info.
you can pay your deposit in US cash and you'll get it back that way (on the north side of the country atleast).
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #403
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Did It: US to Ushuaia, Argentina
Oddometer: 181
Copper Canyon

Howdy--

I'm leaving on early next week for a 2-3 month Mexico and Central America trip. I was planning on following IdahoSam and Radioman's route to the bottom of the Copper Canyon, but it looks like it may be difficult to get to Batopilas at this time? Does anyone have a Google Map route link, Google Earth KMZ file or GPS route that they could post to this thread that would outline where the construction is happening and which roads are out of commission? Also, if there is a back way in to the bottom, does anyone know what the status is?

At this point, I was planning on riding from Creel to Cusarare to Samachique to La Bufa and then to Batopilas. I was then planning on coming out through La Bufa and then to Samachique and then to Bajisochi to Rocheachic and then south to Guachochi and then to San Pablo Balleza, etc. Does anyone know the status of these roads? If they are out of commission, can someone please give me a linked together route using cities as waypoints? As a sidenote, I'm pulling the towns from the latest Guia Roji...which is rad by the way.

Thanks!

Aventeren screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 09:22 PM
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #404
kobukan
almost gnarly
 
kobukan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Saco ME
Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Howdy--

I'm leaving on early next week for a 2-3 month Mexico and Central America trip. I was planning on following IdahoSam and Radioman's route to the bottom of the Copper Canyon, but it looks like it may be difficult to get to Batopilas at this time? Does anyone have a Google Map route link, Google Earth KMZ file or GPS route that they could post to this thread that would outline where the construction is happening and which roads are out of commission? Also, if there is a back way in to the bottom, does anyone know what the status is?

At this point, I was planning on riding from Creel to Cusarare to Samachique to La Bufa and then to Batopilas. I was then planning on coming out through La Bufa and then to Samachique and then to Bajisochi to Rocheachic and then south to Guachochi and then to San Pablo Balleza, etc. Does anyone know the status of these roads? If they are out of commission, can someone please give me a linked together route using cities as waypoints? As a sidenote, I'm pulling the towns from the latest Guia Roji...which is rad by the way.

Thanks!
I was there last week. Main route to Batopilas was not passable - see here or here.

The best way to Batopilas currently seems to be the route from Guachochi through Yoquivo to Batopilas. I didn't ride it, but others have said this is a good route, and I spoke with a Copper Canyon tour van driver at Villa Mexicana in Creel who said it's a good dirt road that they use to get to Batopilas in their tour vans. He said this route takes them about eight hours from Creel in the van - probably faster on a bike. I think it's close to 100 miles of dirt road from Guachochi - I'm sure others have ridden it recently and have better info. Hope that helps.
__________________
'04 R1150GS, '97 R1100GS, '99 DR350, '02 DR650, '03 DR650
A Few Days Solo to Copper Canyon
A Maine Rider’s Arizona Day Trips
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #405
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,166
+1 on this; you just don't want to attempt it if its muddy.
__________________
Guero from Texas
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014