ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #406
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 1,209
Aventeren , if, as your profile statement suggests, this is going to be your FIRST trip through Mexico and CA and on a GS1150 it might prove more enjoyable for you to omit the trip down to Batopilas, regardless of which route you pick. Just be happy with the more accessible places around the CC and try out some of the less destructive gravel and dirt roads . Don't get yourself into the deep doodoo this time, especially not as the first part of such a long tour .No need to wreck the bike tooo early and I am sure Batopilas will still be there in a few years. DO take the trouble to visit La Sinforosa view area south of Guachochi , great scenery and some dirt roads to sample getting there, which coukld be an experience .

And buls4ever, Yest the $85 to $100 figure mentioned could be construed as an average DAILY expense for the two of you combined , really you can do a nice trip on that average expense.
The Tourist Card will be for 180 days ,regardless of how many days you are planning for, so that is a fixed price.
The only way to pay less is to not get a TC and spend your days in the frontier zone
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #407
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
The Tourist Card will be for 180 days, regardless of how many days you are planning for....
Well, not always.

Here is the reminder of Lone Rider's experience this year

LINK

For the casual reader here, yes, typically the TC & TVIP will be issued for 180 days but as we read with Lone Rider, it will pay you dividends to verify, even if you clearly tell the official that you want them for the full 180, to prevent happening to you what happened to him.

And as Lone Rider affirms in his last post to his thread, one should check their docs carfully before leaving the window. Don't give it all a review outside at your bike. In the presence of the official, check all the data, but especially the VIN on the TVIP and the length of validity of both the Tourist Card and the TVIP.

tricepilot screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 12:44 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #408
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Did It: US to Ushuaia, Argentina
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I was there last week. Main route to Batopilas was not passable - see here or here.

The best way to Batopilas currently seems to be the route from Guachochi through Yoquivo to Batopilas. I didn't ride it, but others have said this is a good route, and I spoke with a Copper Canyon tour van driver at Villa Mexicana in Creel who said it's a good dirt road that they use to get to Batopilas in their tour vans. He said this route takes them about eight hours from Creel in the van - probably faster on a bike. I think it's close to 100 miles of dirt road from Guachochi - I'm sure others have ridden it recently and have better info. Hope that helps.
Thanks Kobukan; I'll make sure to talk to the locals to get an idea on which is the best way down when I am there. Bummer. However, like SB says below, it's not going anywhere if I can't get down there this trip.

Take care.
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #409
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Did It: US to Ushuaia, Argentina
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Aventeren , if, as your profile statement suggests, this is going to be your FIRST trip through Mexico and CA and on a GS1150 it might prove more enjoyable for you to omit the trip down to Batopilas, regardless of which route you pick. Just be happy with the more accessible places around the CC and try out some of the less destructive gravel and dirt roads . Don't get yourself into the deep doodoo this time, especially not as the first part of such a long tour .No need to wreck the bike tooo early and I am sure Batopilas will still be there in a few years. DO take the trouble to visit La Sinforosa view area south of Guachochi , great scenery and some dirt roads to sample getting there, which coukld be an experience .
l
SB--

Thanks for the advice. My brother and I are planning on getting lighter bikes in the future for trips like this, so I definitely won't be pushing the limits too hard on this trip, as picking up this fully loaded bike is, well, interesting. This entire trip is about seeing new places for me, and I don't have any hero buttons to collect at this point.

Thanks!
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #410
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,042
Don't fear the reaper and don't trust the Roji.
The reaper is never wrong, the Roji often is.
One can lead to the other.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #411
noshoes
soñando con México
 
noshoes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Trapper Creek, AK
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Don't fear the reaper and don't trust the Roji.
The reaper is never wrong, the Roji often is.
One can lead to the other.

Wow! Profond stuff there. May be my next sigline...
__________________
"Buen dia ., Buen camino..." - Bato
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #412
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, not always.

Here is the reminder of Lone Rider's experience this year

LINK

For the casual reader here, yes, typically the TC & TVIP will be issued for 180 days but as we read with Lone Rider, it will pay you dividends to verify, even if you clearly tell the official that you want them for the full 180, to prevent happening to you what happened to him.

And as Lone Rider affirms in his last post to his thread, one should check their docs carfully before leaving the window. Don't give it all a review outside at your bike. In the presence of the official, check all the data, but especially the VIN on the TVIP and the length of validity of both the Tourist Card and the TVIP.
Yep! Twice now I've had the Migración officer at Allende hand me a visa for 7 or so days and was fortunate enough to catch it and have him reissue for 180 days. Last time, heading to Veracruz, he questioned my request for more than 7 days and I answered that I would be returning to Mexico later that summer. No real problem - just a "gotcha" to watch out for.

Have never seen a TVIP issued for less than 180 days.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #413
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kiko's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,543
Major changes in Mexican immigration rules will be implemented in two weeks. Many of the laws encourage immigration. Some of the visas now include lifetime status without renewal and also include right to work provisions.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #414
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Major changes in Mexican immigration rules will be implemented in two weeks. Many of the laws encourage immigration. Some of the visas now include lifetime status without renewal and also include right to work provisions.
That sounds attractive! Keep us posted.
__________________

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #415
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, not always.

Here is the reminder of Lone Rider's experience this year
LINK
And as Lone Rider affirms in his last post to his thread, one should check their docs carfully before leaving the window. Don't give it all a review outside at your bike. In the presence of the official, check all the data, but especially the VIN on the TVIP and the length of validity of both the Tourist Card and the TVIP.
Yeh, I totally missed that post by Lonerider back in April as I was occupied more with actually riding the KLR down there.

Truly important to read the aduana and migracion papers the instant you recieve them, so you can protest and get corrections. Just as important though to make sure you express your instructions emphatically,clearly.
.But DO NOT volunteeer excess information, for instance that you are heading to Guatemala and beyond. Repeatedly I hear from travellers doing a world tour that they were issued a 30 day transit pass for Mexico when they had expected a 180 day tourist card which would have allowed them to lazily tour Mexico.. It always turns out that they talked too much, revealed that they were on some huge trip to South America.
Just HUSH UP, none of the border folks need to know that.They just hear that you are a transient and hit the 30 day button in their brain. If you cross the border your destination will ALWAYS be some location in Mexico, comprende ?. Does not matter at all if you never get within sight of the place.
Funny thing about getting confused about how the date is written.
The USA and colonies are about the only ones which still constuct this information in the muddled order of month/day/year..Every date on ADV posts confuses me , until the day of the month is 13 or later.

The international standard is to go in graded steps from the fine exact day to the more general month and then year. Very simple- specific to general. 04/05/06 is 4 May of year 6 of the agreed to century
On some wiseguy questionaires they want it in inverse order of year/month/day , still straightforward order
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #416
going south
hero & Zero...
 
going south's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Alaska, Mazatlan. sometimes seattle!
Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Major changes in Mexican immigration rules will be implemented in two weeks. Many of the laws encourage immigration. Some of the visas now include lifetime status without renewal and also include right to work provisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
That sounds attractive! Keep us posted.

That sounds great, Please keep us posted!!!
__________________
going south...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #417
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Major changes in Mexican immigration rules will be implemented in two weeks. Many of the laws encourage immigration.
The Mayor of Mazunte position is available
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #418
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
.
The USA and colonies...
Good one! Classic!

Changes in immigration? Damn, when I think about all the fun I had becoming a resident I am deeply disappointed that others will not be able to share in such merriment. I tell you, the damn country is going to hell in a handcart!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #419
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Good one! Classic!

Changes in immigration? Damn, when I think about all the fun I had becoming a resident I am deeply disappointed that others will not be able to share in such merriment. I tell you, the damn country is going to hell in a handcart!
Once they started allowing Canuckistanians in, well........it was only a matter of time.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #420
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Once they started allowing Canuckistanians in, well........it was only a matter of time.
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014