Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #481
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
My personal bottom line: since the paperwork process is so easy, I'm not ever tempted to roll the dice.
Yeah, why take the risk?

Whatever was the guy thinking who took the antique shotgun into Mexico? Now he's in jail and it's a big international ordeal. Is there a JoMomma thread on that?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #482
rjzinc
The World is My Home

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Whatever was the guy thinking......
Trouble is, he wasn't thinking...
rjzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #483
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
Trouble is, he wasn't thinking...
Apparently he asked a US border official if it was okay and he was told it was and to just declare it on the other side. WTF? I have never heard of anything like that. Why didn't this guy check with a Mexican consulate first? And even still, why take it anyways? Apparently he was driving down to Costa Rica to go surfing. WTF?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #484
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,660
Yeah, I travel everywhere with my antique shotgun. Doesn't everybody ?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #485
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
This is the Ride planning & wisdom thread: what I do riding through Mexico & central America, and when I do the bus, train, boat, plane thing through Asia, I get the sandwich size ziploc bags & sharpie marks a lot pen, write the country name on the bag in that white spot for whats inside, & keep every single scrap of paper from that Boarder crossing...
It has come in handy a few times... + it keeps them dry... I think I learned this here.... on ADVrider...

Regards, Jim...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #486
beemer67
Really Old airhead

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Trice, I know firsthand of exactly one case where a rider entered Mexico with absolutely zero documentation. No visa, no TVIP, nada, zip, zero.
I explained, patiently, the insanity of this.
He mentioned he had ridden Ethiopia and a few other interesting places and said that he would worry about things if and when they happened.
He actually made it into Guatemala to the surprise of everyone.
It can be done, but man o man the way the planets have to line up is beyond the luck of most, I believe.
Funny you mention that. I did same a half dozen years back. I crossed at Aqua Prieta and was expecting border facilities similar to Km21 at Nogales. So I just rode straight though the border, and kept on going. Didn't see anyone after 30km so just kept going. Rode to Creel and then came back. Was never asked for anything and returned same way. Next year, after finding out what I should have done, I happened to stay on Hwy2 past Aqua Prieta heading to Nogales and ran into the Imm./ Customs post. If I had gone this way the previous year I would have been in trouble.

Always had the paperwork since (as I agree it is so simple) but that one year I was just very lucky and it worked.
beemer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #487
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,171
I tried to sneak in through A. Prieta one time after failing to cancel a different bike from a previous trip. Made it down to the checkpoint South and the guy asked for my permit. When I said I thought it was not required in Sonora he replied, "eres gringo tonto y mas pendejo que nunca," turn around and go get your permit.
Having sold the previously permitted bike I then began the long and complicated process of clearing the TVIP for it. You don't want to be in this position if you like riding in Mexico.

jimmex screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 07:02 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #488
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Yeah, why take the risk?

Whatever was the guy thinking who took the antique shotgun into Mexico? Now he's in jail and it's a big international ordeal. Is there a JoMomma thread on that?
I was wondering when we would discuss that. He knew what he was doing was risky and I don't totally buy that story of getting forms from the US authorities to clear him for Mexico.

Anyway, not seeing a lot of sympathy in this group for the guy but the Mexicans usually seem to only hold gringos for 4-5 months over firearms charges so he may be coming home soon.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #489
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Yeah, I travel everywhere with my antique shotgun. Doesn't everybody ?
Is that the one built into your walking cane? I hear those are legal everywhere ...

{ducking for cover}
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #490
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Is that the one built into your walking cane? I hear those are legal everywhere ...

{ducking for cover}
No, I haven't progressed to one of those...yet. I just throw the shotgun over my shoulder and pretend its a golf club.......oh wait, I don't play golf anymore.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #491
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Rex, it is another country it is not the USA.
Rules are rules no matter how frustrating it is.
Ever try reasoning with an American border agent or Homeland security agent?
You have likely never gone through the hassles of trying to return one of the immigration stubs you get as a visitor to the USA when someone from the airline or government didnt take it from you when you were leaving.
Maybe you havent been questioned at length in a locked room because the agent was having a bad hair day?
It is like talking to a wall but the wall talks back to you with the sense of...well...a wall.
You can say that again Mike!
The nutty part is that the US Border Services want that tourist document handed in but provide NO handy designated spot where exiting tourists can simply hand it back in passing through the gate. Going into Mexico you have to find an illegal spot to park on the US side customs terminal exit-to -Mexico lanes , walk around and find sombody willing to accept it while getting snarky authoritarian remarks that one is not supposed to be walking around that area. On the Canadian border the same description applies but the Canadian customs booth will accept it and return it to the US as a courtesy, but even in that case the Yanks in the office tell you that that is not considered secure. The Mexicans absolutely will have nothing to do with returning such cards to the US guys and rightly so, too much frustrationfor them,
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #492
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,090
I've heard that one or two Xanax with a vodka chaser can take the edge off angst like this

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #493
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Actually, I feel quite the opposite. I feel the process is quite valid.

The tourist card isn't valid until its been paid for, and its possible to run around the country with one, without without having validated it by paying for it. Maybe here lies the rub, and in the understanding of it, we might back off being critical of the stance these officials take.

A perfect example of how this process plays out is at the crossing into Mexico at El Ceibo, near Tenosique, where the Banjercito is closed on Mondays (or at least still was earlier this year). You can wait until Tuesday, or just continue on and validate the tourist card by paying at another Banjercito location. Which is what I did.

So, theoretically, you could enter there and then run down here and try to get stamped out, without ever having paid. It's really not the border guy's job to figure out why somebody doesn't have their TC receipt. One thing is for sure - if he doesn't stamp you out without seeing that receipt, and you want to get into Guatemala, you will need that exit stamp, so they will get their money. Sure - it might be annoying to the traveler if he's already paid, but as we've seen, that's on the traveler if he loses the receipt. "Keep Your Receipt" - I see that in a lot of places. Parking garages come to mind.

As with our man Bob C, lack of understanding of a border process can mean some frustration - but it doesn't always have to point to corruption or to officials who are out to be a pain or who are on the take. Yes, I've read examples of that from Mexico to Ushuaia, but I don't feel it applies to this particular border process.
In March I crossed at El Ceibo and was not asked for a receipt for my tourist card , which I had to surrender prior to entering GT.

I returned to Mexico via El Ceibo and although the Banjercito appeared to be open I was given my new Tourist card and a piece of paper and was told I could pay the fee at any MX Bank.

About aweek aor so later I went to a bank and attempted to pay. What a clusterfuck. No one could decipher the boxes and questions on the small xerox copy of a form I had received. After 45 minutes someone finally just entered some made up data, money was taken and a receipt issued. BTW the bank manager and tellers were extremely patient and helpful.

When I checked out at Agua Prieta I was asked for proof of payment for the Tourist Card that had been issued at El Ceibo
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #494
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,090
I take it you also crossed El Ceibo on a Monday
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #495
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
I returned to Mexico via El Ceibo and although the Banjercito appeared to be open I was given my new Tourist card and a piece of paper and was told I could pay the fee at any MX Bank.

About aweek aor so later I went to a bank and attempted to pay. What a clusterfuck. No one could decipher the boxes and questions on the small xerox copy of a form I had received. After 45 minutes someone finally just entered some made up data, money was taken and a receipt issued. BTW the bank manager and tellers were extremely patient and helpful.

When I checked out at Agua Prieta I was asked for proof of payment for the Tourist Card that had been issued at El Ceibo
Interesting topic... I always cancel my TVIP but have never cancelled the tourist card at the Northern border with the U.S., I have never been asked to cancel it. Been to Belize once and Guatemala twice and have cancelled the tourist card at these borders. They used to let you keep the TVIP for Mexico if you were coming back within the time alotted, I think that has changed?
In 2010 I crossed back into Mexico at Tecun Uman and like Bob they gave me a xerox copy of a piece of paper with a couple of numbers on it and the stamped Tourist card, then said no bank here, just pay at any bank, this trip I still had my valid TVIP so did not need one.
So a couple days later I stopped at Ban Norte in a small town in Chiapas and they had no clue how to take the payment.... so I walked across the street to Banamex and the teller knew excatly what to do, took my 262 pesos and gave me a recibo. I still have that recibo, I keep all my cancelled paper work but the ink on them fades to unreadable after a year or so
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote