Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #556
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Hi all,

Been paying close attention to this thread as I begin to make plans for my own Central and South American ride beginning in October.

I do have a question about prescription drugs.

My pharmacist is willing to give me a six month supply of each, but I am wondering if that will cause me problems at the borders, even with prescriptions...

Would I be better served to just refill scripts at pharmacies on the way down?

TIA for any and all information.

Steve
If they are not narcotics and are just maintenance drugs, you shouldn't have any problem with carrying your personal supply. I really wouldn't want to rely on finding them on the trip. Distribution channels are not quite like what we have in the US/Canada.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #557
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
If you've got your supply, the only worry is keeping the medicaton fresh for that period in the heat and humidity.
The deal at most pharmacies is that narcotics and, more importantly, powerful antibiotics are hard to get without a prescription. Many pharmacies have a nearby scrpt writing doc who will usually give you the script you need for an appointment fee of usually less than $50 pesos, about $5 bucks.
I have been here for 20 years and never heard of anyone anywhere anytime being hassled for medications or inspected.
I have found most cops, military, etc... to be respectful of handicapped people, or people with any longterm medical needs or or with special circumstances circumstances for meds like diabetics etc...
The only problem I see is if you run out or lose your supply and you need something uncommon in a very rural area.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #558
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If you've got your supply, the only worry is keeping the medicaton fresh for that period in the heat and humidity.
The deal at most pharmacies is that narcotics and, more importantly, powerful antibiotics are hard to get without a prescription. Many pharmacies have a nearby scrpt writing doc who will usually give you the script you need for an appointment fee of usually less than $50 pesos, about $5 bucks.
I have been here for 20 years and never heard of anyone anywhere anytime being hassled for medications or inspected.
I have found most cops, military, etc... to be respectful of handicapped people, or people with any longterm medical needs or or with special circumstances circumstances for meds like diabetics etc...
The only problem I see is if you run out or lose your supply and you need something uncommon in a very rural area.
I've seen a situation where a fairly common drug was taking over six weeks to get in San Miguel de Allende. That's why I made the statement about the distribution system. My impression of the OP was he was passing through Mexico headed further south. That distribution system only gets worse heading south.
I also wouldn't be too hung up on temp. ranges for the products unless they are liquid or topicals.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #559
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I've seen a situation where a fairly common drug was taking over six weeks to get in San Miguel de Allende. That's why I made the statement about the distribution system. My impression of the OP was he was passing through Mexico headed further south. That distribution system only gets worse heading south.
I also wouldn't be too hung up on temp. ranges for the products unless they are liquid or topicals.
Yes, you are right about the sudden shortages. I can remember when cipro was almost impossible to find. And real pricey!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #560
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Yes, you are right about the sudden shortages. I can remember when cipro was almost impossible to find. And real pricey!

For a while the Border Patrol had special restrictions on bringing Cipro back across the border (as I recall you generally couldn't do it unless you could demonstrate that you had a US-sourced bottle and prescription). I ran across it while researching something else and mentioned it to some of the guys at one of the crossings and they were not aware of what was on their own web site.

Not there now as far as I can tell and I always got the impression that someone was either protecting against counterfeit Cipro or protecting the patent holder.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #561
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
For a while the Border Patrol had special restrictions on bringing Cipro back across the border (as I recall you generally couldn't do it unless you could demonstrate that you had a US-sourced bottle and prescription). I ran across it while researching something else and mentioned it to some of the guys at one of the crossings and they were not aware of what was on their own web site.

Not there now as far as I can tell and I always got the impression that someone was either protecting against counterfeit Cipro or protecting the patent holder.
The US has been at the forefront of trying to push for responsible antibiotic usage so they might have been following policy of script only US purchased antibiotic for consumption. But who knows?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #562
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Cipro went off patent ten years ago.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #563
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Good news for it becoming more affordable/available. The big push started down here a couple of years ago to stop self-medication with powerful antibiotics to hopefully halt drug resistant strain developments. At least it brought the issue out of the shadows.
That new strain of the clap looks scarey.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #564
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Good news for it becoming more affordable/available. The big push started down here a couple of years ago to stop self-medication with powerful antibiotics to hopefully halt drug resistant strain developments. At least it brought the issue out of the shadows.
That new strain of the clap looks scarey.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Wait, what am I saying?!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #565
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

The enemy is us !---Pogo

The cause of antibiotic resistence is very simple. Drs. over prescribing and patients self medicating. Drs. have a tendancy to prescribe anti biotics for non bacterial conditions to make a patient happy and patients have a tendancy to not take the complete course of therapy and save some for the next time they think they need them. In the latter case you don't get a complete "kill" and some of the stronger individuals (bacteria) are able to mutate just enough to become more resistant. Remember; Darwin was right.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 AM   #566
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Report corruption and extorsion in Mex DF and Estado de Mexico

Don't pay.
Call it in.
Anytime.
Courtesy of 400 magazine (a Mexican bike mag).

Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #567
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Details, details ...

So much for that conspiracy theory.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #568
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Don't pay.
Call it in.
Anytime.
Courtesy of 400 magazine (a Mexican bike mag).

That's an important one Mike. Thanks! I am going to put it in my notes for the future.

The Tamaulipas tourism folks put out a great brochure a number of years ago with general rules, typical fines (so you know that you are being shook down when the cop asks for 10x the actual fine), and phone numbers. Wish that I could find my copy.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #569
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Hi Ace, I know you know a lot about medicine. Is Cipro or whatever the generic equivalent is stable long term. I want to put something in my first aid kit for serious stomach problems, but there's a good possibility it will just sit there in my fender pack in hot and cold for months or years without being used. Will it be okay in those conditions over that time frame or should I do something different?
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #570
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
While waiting for our resident pharma dude to reply, I've found it much more convenient (and affordable)
to access antibiotics in Mexico than in Texas. As recently as this year. Cheap and easy to have a doctor
come to the hotel and get the Rx filled. Unless you're in a remote area like SR often rides or you're out on
the autopista somewhere. Then you're better off packing meds.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote