Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #586
nextlife23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I am off to this Friday to ride from Utah to South America to volunteer.

Do I need original copies of registration/title? Or can I just bring copies. I've read some mixed reports in this thread.

What do you guy's do with your gear when you grocery shop - or need to leave the bike for awhile? I have saddlebags and a duffel bag - i've been kayak touring and have had my kayak stolen two times with all my gear inside while grocery shopping or running a quick errand to the post office. I just don't want to make that mistake - any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers
D

Be Kind...to everyone
nextlife23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #587
advFord
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Securing gear while shopping

I run a cable lock through my jacket and helmet. and take my tank bag with me. (I put my spot and GPS in my tank bag too)
Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #588
nextlife23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
I run a cable lock through my jacket and helmet. and take my tank bag with me. (I put my spot and GPS in my tank bag too)
I plan to take a backpack and carry my essentials and important things with me at all times(wallet, laptop, gps, important docs.) What do you do with your camping gear and clothes? Just leave it on the bike and try not leave the bike unattended for very long?

Cheers

Be Kind...to everyone
nextlife23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #589
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextlife23 View Post
I am off to this Friday to ride from Utah to South America to volunteer.

Do I need original copies of registration/title? Or can I just bring copies. I've read some mixed reports in this thread.

What do you guy's do with your gear when you grocery shop - or need to leave the bike for awhile? I have saddlebags and a duffel bag - i've been kayak touring and have had my kayak stolen two times with all my gear inside while grocery shopping or running a quick errand to the post office. I just don't want to make that mistake - any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers
D
You need original title in your name for Central and South Am. Original registration will suffice for Mexico. Buen Viaje, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #590
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I'm currently on the road in Argentina. I had very little time to ship my bike out before deploying for work this year (I've been out of the country for eight months). So, what i got when the bike arrived is what I have to work with.

I also put my small electronics into my Wolfman tank bag and take that as a man purse. My Aerostich pockets are filled with my important docs and pocket lint, and stay with me. I have locks running through my Pelican cases. When the duffel bag is on the bike (and sometimes the raingear is in a stuffsack bungee'd on) I use a Pac-Safe metal cargo net. Same for helmet.

I use cargo ratchet straps to secure my tires and duffel, and run a cable lock over those. So far, no one has ever tried to release those straps.

I also have some hardened padlocks whose shackels go through the drilled holes in my brake rotors, and I put one on front and rear rotors when I leave the bike in public. Won't stop two skateboards and some muscle, but makes it a tiny bit harder for the ladrones.

So far, so good. But, as ever, don't take anything that you can't afford to lose.

I do have my original title with me, but secured in my bags. I try to pass off laser copies of my title on good quality paper, whenever possible. Works 95% of the time.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #591
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
I try to pass off laser copies of my title on good quality paper, whenever possible. Works 95% of the time.
That's because of you're stun gun smile
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #592
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I have been reading pages and pages of info on riding in mexico and I havent found the answer I am looking for.....will I get hung up on some of the bigger taller topes? I read a report where the rider said some of them are practically triangle shaped and quite tall.

I have a bellypan on my bike AND its lowered and this is the one thing I am wondering about so far......I guess I should have a look underneath and measure how much clearance I DO have.....but it ain't a lot.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #593
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I have been reading pages and pages of info on riding in mexico and I havent found the answer I am looking for.....will I get hung up on some of the bigger taller topes? I read a report where the rider said some of them are practically triangle shaped and quite tall.

I have a bellypan on my bike AND its lowered and this is the one thing I am wondering about so far......I guess I should have a look underneath and measure how much clearance I DO have.....but it ain't a lot.....
No you'll be fine and just slow down when your coming up to one. They have them at each end of towns just before you enter to slow you down and they come in all shapes and sizes. Metal, concrete, large rope.........

Some of the bigger ones are at cross walks and are 12 inches tall or so and wide for people to walk across, if you hit one of those at speed you'll get airtime.

lexluther11 screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 05:53 AM
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #594
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

That yellow one right there? No way can my bike go over that. Not a hope in hell. Now I would have to turn the bike around in that narrow sandy looking street and the turning radius on my bike is about the size of ohio I kid you not.

I can juuuuuust get my toes on the ground on my bike so backpedal ing is a no go....except in certain conditions. Now what do I do ?......crap.....
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #595
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

I think my bags are to wide to ride on the sidewalk.....just to get around the tope.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #596
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,277
Just do it; it'll work out. Its Mexico.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #597
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Just do it; it'll work out. Its Mexico.
+1

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #598
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Go slow. A little scraping isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #599
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I think my bags are to wide to ride on the sidewalk.....just to get around the tope.
There is an encyclopedia of things you can choose to worry about.

What topic do you want to dwell on after topes?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #600
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 881
There is some dispute as to how well this really works but many people take the topes at an angle which allows both wheels to lifted at the same time time. It does work on the really wide ones. Most important thing is to pay attention and take them slow.

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 12:46 PM
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote