Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #61
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Did the road just end, was it blocked, etc?
It's shown on 3 different maps I have, from a track to a real road.
We stopped at the gas station in San Juan del Sur and asked about it. Then we tried to find the road and couldn't. The guy at the gas station said there was no crossing there. He said the road ended. It was only about fifteen miles back to CA1. Cool town, too. Seems to be a tourist as in backpacker type town with a lot of fishing boats and sail boats in the harbor. Plenty of internet cafes.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #62
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
My maps show the road south from San Juan also but we did not try it. No one I spoke to could tell me if it went through. The town is growing. Lots of signs for real estate offices selling beachfront lots. Someone told me it had been featured on some international living sites, hence the upswing in interest.

There is a great resturant run by an english women a couple blocks from the beach (sorry can't remember the name). Also, we found the Hotel Colonial to be inexpensive and good.

My maps also showed the crossing by the lake. One map showed a road on both sides of the river, the other only showed road on one side and only swamp on the other side. I would have tried it if I had more time. I'd like a couple of weeks in nicaragua next time, lit ooks like lots of good adv riding to be had. And maybe a smaller bike than the 1200GS.

MJS screwed with this post 03-27-2007 at 09:06 AM
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #63
Shaft
counting my blessings

Oddometer: 4,213
Thumb

Bumpity for a great thread........
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #64
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmurf
Bumpity for a great thread........
One of the best
Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #65
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS
Have small bills, as they could not make change for a $20 when I was there.
They can't even break $5 quite often. Good idea to carry a wad of $1 (and $5) bills everywhere. They've come in handy for me several times.

Quote:
[El Salvador] In addition, even though we said we were transiting through, they gave us a two-month permit.
Quote:

Next stop was the exit gate where they checked our import permit and the municipal tax collector extracted a $5 fee for each bike.
Same for me on the permit. I never said a word to the guy about how long I'd be there. I got 60 days stamped. I never paid $5 to anyone...

Quote:
The Honduran reputation for bureaucracy is well deserved. . Ignore any helpers around here.
Agreed and agreed.

Quote:
In our case, they would not accept copies of the registration without seeing the original. We made color copies of all original documents before leaving and these were accepted (a little color goes a long way).

My color copies of all my documents have been accepted everywhere without question, except my first entrance into Guatemala. The woman told me she needed the original. I told her she was the first to notice.. and she never mentioned it again. She didn't point out my fake drivers license.

Quote:
Pay $10 usd per vehicle for the clerk to type the form into the computer. Take the completed paperwork to the bank in the center building (between exit and entry lanes) and pay 532 Lempira ($28.50) per vehicle).

I paid the ~$30, but I don't think I paid $10 to anyone else. Paid a reciepted $3 to the customs agent who stamped my passport.

Quote:
we spent less than 2-1/2 hours to exit El Salvador and enter Honduras. There are plenty of stories of 3 and 4 hour crossings into Honduras Compared to the time we would have spent trying to find our way around and the translation help, it was worth it to us.

In my case, four hours, although that spanned 1.5 hour lunch. After lunch, an office worker came out and helped me through. I don't know if that's standard or not, but she brought all my papers to the copier, the bank, customs, immigration... and whenever she needed something from me (A few bucks or a signature) she asked me for it.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #66
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,495
A copy of this threads write up is now in the Hall of Wisdom.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #67
Aussie_Gringo
The anti-septic

Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen

JJ
Thank you, this information will serve many riders venturing into the Outer Darkness in the future.

Thank you.
Aussie_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #68
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:

JJ
Better late than never I always say...good move JJ.

You can read my thoughts on ADV and the value of this type of thread back on post #22, page two.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #69
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

We are currently working on a way to get more threads/writeups included in the HoW. Once we get 'enough' of them we will probably create a sub-list in the HoW just for trip planning and the like.

ps. I wasn't aware of ANY requests for these files to be added to the HoW. I did put up stickies in ALL of the technical forums asking for suitable submissions, just not here in Regional. My Bad

JJ

WingMakers.com

johnjen screwed with this post 07-05-2007 at 06:05 PM
Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #70
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
We are currently working on a way to get more threads/writeups included in the HoW. Once we get 'enough' of them we will probably create a sub-list in the HoW just for trip planning and the like.

JJ
ps. I wasn't aware of ANY requests for these files to be added to the HoW. I did put up stickies in ALL of the technical forums asking for suitable submissions, just not here in Regional. My Bad

JJ
Thanks for work, JJ, seriously.

Use the same paypal as before, please...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #71
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Don't be to Blingy.
Don't be to Shinny.
Don't be to Loud.
Don't be Arrogant at all.

And you will do just fine.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #72
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

[coneofsilence] just like before? [/coneofsilence]

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Thanks for work, JJ, seriously.

Use the same paypal as before, please...

WingMakers.com
Old 07-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #73
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
We are currently working on a way to get more threads/writeups included in the HoW.
Where is HoW? (Hall of Wisdom) I know I've seen it. It must be buried deep somewhere by now or taken off?

Quote:
Once we get 'enough' of them we will probably create a sub-list in the HoW just for trip planning and the like.
Oh, so an actual adventure travel planning info forum will be buried yet further.....?
Quote:
I only asked for a sticky for Jeff's great post...and brought up the idea of having an actual trip planning forum or nuts and bolt type ride report...specifically geared for out of USA, NON rally, non brand specific RTW type trips. I've made this suggestion many times going back five years or so.

Technical forum? Why would a thread (or threads) about trip planning and actual travel OUT OF THE USA.....be in a technical forum? Outer Darkness is only just north of Exploding Heads or the Antarctic regional forum for level of obscurity. Sure, lets bury the only REAL adventure relevant forum here. I really don't think you guys get it at all.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 AM   #74
Jeff Munn OP
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,928
Hall of Wisdom for Riding

Quote:

JJ
JJ,
First, let me say thank you for being a moderator, and for seeing that this great site can still be made even better. Many people would be happy to just leave well enough alone, but you seem to be active in trying improve it. Thanks for that.

I too, (like Django Loco) have experienced frustration with trying to find information that I could use to plan a ride to a new region. There is simply no place in ADVrider where good sound information, written by someone who has been there, can be easily found. I think that is sad. There is a world of experience here, and we need to be able to more easily tap into that. Of course that will burden a moderator with trying to separate good information from story-telling and opinion, but maybe there could be a rating system that would allow the readers to decide if something should stay in a HoW type travel planning forum.

I'd also love to see any new type listing of travel information elevated to the same category as all the other forums on the "home page". Burying it on a tiny click-link at the bottom of the page next to the "donate" page and navigational directions does it a disservice. I'd wager that 90% of the people who visit ADVRider can't tell you where the HoW is. Separating out the maintenance tips from riding tips is critical too. When I go to the HoW page, my first reaction is oh..... its all wrenching tips.... click. I'd bet you a beer that is what most people do too.

Anyway, thanks for addressing this and listening to us whine. Believe it or not, we too want to see ADVRider grow and improve. Starting a Ride Planning forum for travel outside the continental US would be something that could take this site to another level.

Thanks for listening.
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #75
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

After DJ's last response I was going to actively ignore this thread, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

But with JM's last post I will make this my last post in this thread.

Perhaps you and others have been trying to get the mods attention, but as I stated previously, I had placed a request for submissions as a sticky in EVERY technical forum. Did you completely miss ALL of them? Did anyone think to pm me, or in anyway try to contact me?

AND the text in those stickies doesn't restrict submissions to tech articles.

"This is an invitation to any and all who wish to contribute to the Hall of Wisdom...

If you have a write-up that would or could be of help or perhaps it may just be of interest to the general populace here at ADVrider... This is your lucky day... We can now, thru the modern miracle of computer technology, enable your very own words and pictures to be made available to the entire known universe...

All you have to do is get it whipped into shape so that you won't embarass yourself, let alone the rest of us... I mean my dog we do have an image to uphold

If you want, use any of the existing offerings in the HoW as examples of what looks good and has worked OK thus far....

Contact me and we can take it to the next level...

So I'd have to conclude that all of you who have been trying in vain to get the attention of us mods weren't trying all that hard. If you think that by just posting a request in a thread is enough, get a clue.

ADVrider is HUGE, there is no way a few posts buried inside a thread or 12 is going to get enough attention. We have 27 mods who deal with 209,949 Threads, 4,619,451 Posts and 43,769 registered Inmates.

If you, OR ANYONE has a great idea to make ADVrider a better place let a mod (or 2 or 3) know, directly via PM. Being a Mod means you donate your time and interest, and as such, things have and will slip thru the cracks. You want to complain that no one paid enough attention to your furtive pleas for a separate place for just a few threads/posts/writeups? Join the crowd.

Perhaps you don't remember the uproar that ensued when the scooter forum was created. A forum dedicated to just trip planning would be infinitesimal in comparison. Yes it's a good idea, that is why I'm pursuing this and will continue to do so (despite the attitude displayed thus far).

Perhaps IF trip planning becomes popular enough it might get it's own forum, but thats a mighty big if. Right now the best place for these types of write ups is the HoW. And if you can't find the HoW, ASK. After all it is available from EVERY PAGE, how many other resources here can make that claim?

If you really want to get things moving, start submitting threads, posts, writeups. And let's see how much momentum can be created. That and that alone will determine how far this will go, as it always has.

JJ

WingMakers.com