User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #76
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,741
To return this thread to Road Wisdom...

I just returned to the US from Mexico after transiting most of Central America. I crossed at Laredo, bridge #2. I hadn't yet paid my $20 tourist visa, and nobody ever asked for it when I crossed the border. $20 saved.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #77
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
To return this thread to Road Wisdom...

I just returned to the US from Mexico after transiting most of Central America. I crossed at Laredo, bridge #2. I hadn't yet paid my $20 tourist visa, and nobody ever asked for it when I crossed the border. $20 saved.

Jamie
Since the visas are multiple entry, they don't ask for it when you leave, you have to go to the immigration section (not always the same place as Banejercito/vehicle import permit, not sure what it's like in Laredo) and return it to get an exit stamp in your passport.

You may get asked about it next time you go to Mexico, depending on how diligent the officer you get is. If you didn't return it/get an exit stamp, they'll consider you as if you had overstayed your visa, most likely you'll have to pay a fine. I doubt you'll end up saving any money.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #78
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
A few months ago the geniuses at Mexican immigration decided to push off charging the visa fees to the local banks. Almost nobody was paying and later turning in the visas. Last week we went to get the new ones and they made us all pay right on the spot. They are now tracking the personal visas much more closely. The vehicle permits more so! Many paisanos are finding they can't bring their trucks back into Mexico because the computer shows the earlier permit was never returned. The screaming and swearing is becoming a ritual.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #79
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
A few months ago the geniuses at Mexican immigration decided to push off charging the visa fees to the local banks.
I don't recall ever paying the immigration officer directly, it always was at a bank. Not sure where you typically cross, but in the Juarez area not all border crossings have banks on location (or they don't keep same hours as the migra), so paying at a bank in town (any town) has been routine for years. All they cared about was that it was stamped "paid" when you returned the form upon leaving Mexico.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #80
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
For a while there the Banjercito quit processing the visas and referred us to local banks anywhere in Mexico. Now the immigration won't finish processing it until the Banjercito next window down has been paid. I cross in Laredo and Brownsville.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #81
Mika Meyer
V-Strom gives you wiiings

Oddometer: 250
Cool2 Back to the Top

Thank you Jeff and the rest of you that posted extra wisdom for this great resource. Thank you very much.

Am planning a trip to Puerto Escondido and on to Guatemala January 2008, and finding this thread has made my research so much easier.

Any recent updates and/or changes would be much appreciated.

Adventure - Going further than where your knowledge, your experiences, and your capacities may have initially stopped you.

2008 ADV Relay rider: Colorado
Mika Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #82
Jeff Munn OP
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Meyer
Thank you Jeff and the rest of you that posted extra wisdom for this great resource. Thank you very much.
Mika,
It was a pleasure meeting and camping with you at Laurel Fork. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your trip.

Any news on when the Cape Cod campout will be?

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #83
Mika Meyer
V-Strom gives you wiiings

Oddometer: 250
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
Mika,
It was a pleasure meeting and camping with you at Laurel Fork. Any news on when the Cape Cod campout will be?
Hey Jeff:

Likewise. Had a great time riding with Chick, you and the rest of the gang at Laurel Fork. Thank you Neal

Wellfleet Oyster Fest this wkend, campout will have to wait till next year though. Headed to Crested Butte, CO for the winter. More fun and closer to Mexico. Rocky Mtn. oysters just don't do it for me though so I'll prolly be back on cape for next summer.

All the best

Adventure - Going further than where your knowledge, your experiences, and your capacities may have initially stopped you.

2008 ADV Relay rider: Colorado
Mika Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #84
Oldmanwheeler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
My wife and I are just getting to the point where we can begin taking some long trips and have talked about shipping our bikes to Germany and New Zeland. All of the information on this thread is going to be invaluable in teaching us the "do's and don'ts" of traveling abroad. 2008 will be my wife's first riding season (we live in Iowa) where she has her own bike, a BMW F800ST so we are already anxiously looking forward to next summer's adventures. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
'04 BMW R1150RT Hannigan Trike
Oldmanwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #85
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,604
I'm saving this to my favorites. Great, great stuff here. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #86
FKNBUM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Updated importation documents?

My first ride to Mx was in 2001 on a white K100RT, which I failed to "sign out" before crossing into the US. I can still barely make out the faded Importacion Temporal sticker on the windshield. My next trip was in 2003 on a black 1988 GS (obviously not the same bike) which I signed out. No problems, just pulled the sticker, sent me on my way. Since reading this post and others it seem they are now updating these records and what? Fines, denied entry?, taking away birthdays? I really am a bit concerned, I hope to go for a ride this Jan/Feb and would like smooth border crossings. Anything I can do at this point? Or, is there really nothing to be concerned about at all?
FKNBUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #87
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNBUM
I really am a bit concerned, I hope to go for a ride this Jan/Feb and would like smooth border crossings. Anything I can do at this point? Or, is there really nothing to be concerned about at all?
Short answer: I don't see where you will have any residual problems from your last experience, go and enjoy Mexico again. Just make sure to have your documents in order as per usual. Take your camera and give us a ride report!

Long answer (optional):

If you are refering to the bike you previously took to Mexico and didn't turn in the permit, time has long since passed and you've likely had the import fee charged to your credit card.

This time, remember to simply follow standard practice. Appear at the Imigracion/Banjercito/Aduana with the original registration to your bike AND a credit card with a name that matches the registration. Let me repeat that: make sure the name on your ORIGINAL registration and on your credit card MATCH. If you are John J. Jones on the registration, don't offer a credit card with Jack Jones on it, or even John Jones. Go get a new card to match your registration well before your trip. I even carry a spare card that meets all these rules, from a different bank and account "just in case" I have to cancel the other one.

I witnessed the above being a huge problem at the border two weeks ago. The person was denied entry initially and it took a lot of delicate and time consuming charm to get the person into Mexico. I wouldn't assume charm would work every time.

It doesn't hurt to highlight with a yellow marker the name on the registration and the VIN number. Formats among U.S. states for vehicle registration vary and this simple technique will assist the person behind the glass believing your registration is original and in preparing your bike permit. I also sign my bike registration even though it isn't required, and I do it in blue ink to that the person behind the glass doesn't think it is a copy (which it isn't, but one never knows what is going through the mind of the person processing your paperwork).

When you get your corresponding paper for your permit, check the VIN down to the last numeral, and insist that it be corrected if it is wrong. Don't walk away from the window to do this. Check it right there in front of the person. I've seen documents only one numeral off become a problem for the holder. Again, don't leave the window (especially if there is a line behind you!) without checking the spelling and the VIN on your permit paper.

Make sure your credit card (that matches the registration exactly - can't say that enough) has "room" on it. Believe it or not, I also saw that one two weeks ago crossing at Nogales. A guy had to post a cash bond to cover the bike permit because he thought he just had to have a card and didn't seem to think that it being maxed out was going to be a problem. Well, it was a huge problem for him.

This time when you exit Mexico, be sure you are aware of the operating hours at the border for the customs office (many are 24/7 but not all - either check directly or consult Lonely Planet or some other method of finding out in advance). When your bike permit is taken they will issue you a receipt. KEEP THE RECEIPT because you will plan to return to Mexico again, and it will prove that you turned in your permit. Always keep your "latest" exit receipt and bring it with you on your next trip as insurance should somebody claim you didn't turn in your permit. You can work around this by going through a Mexican consulate in the U.S. but the process is a headache and it is much easier to do it at the border when leaving.

Border crossing to/from Mexico has always been a fast, straightforward process for me, with never a problem. I've also encountered professional people. It may seem like a bit of a tango with copies, this window/that window kind of vibe, but IF you research what it requred in advance and iron out any wierd situations you might have in advance (like a rental bike along side of a bike thats not paid off on a trailer towed behind a friend's truck etc. etc. etc.) you will be fine.

Buena suerte y modere su volocidad

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #88
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
They are now tracking the personal visas much more closely. The vehicle permits more so! Many paisanos are finding they can't bring their trucks back into Mexico because the computer shows the earlier permit was never returned. The screaming and swearing is becoming a ritual.
See Above

ALWAYS obtain a receipt for your permit AND bring it with you when you re-enter Mexico for the next new one.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #89
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,414
I'm glad I found this thread. One day I'll make it down there myself.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #90
Jeff Munn OP
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,963
Bringing it back up for those new riders

Thanks Phil for the Sticky!

Jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007