User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #121
cp.parker
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Mexico to Guatemala

Hey all, I will be crossing from Mexico to Guatemala n the next few days and am in need of some advise. I plan to live in Guatemala for a unknown period of time and have a 6 month mexico visa. Im debating on doing the correct paperwork on the way out or just go through and return before the six months. When i return to mexico will they check my papers and fine me for not doing the exit process? If not will I be able to just continue on to the states? If I exit Mexico and stay gone past the 6 months then return do I just go through the same process and pay all the fees?
I know its a lot of questions but im trying to figure out the most economical and easiest way to do this. If the consequences are no more than a slap on the wrist i would rather just shoot through the border without doing the exit process.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.. I havent had time to do a ride report but here is a link to my blog.. clayparker.blogspot.com
Thanks
Clay
cp.parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #122
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Good thread, folks. Thanks for the info.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #123
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Colombia Bridge

Just to add to the general theme here, and I know this has been covered in mutliple threads, but not sure it's in this sticky...I crossed yesterday at the Colombia Bridge from MEX back into the US. There was a whole three (3) cars ahead of me. The wait to do the same crossing in nearby Nuevo Laredo averages in the hours for the afternoon crossing that I did. However, the ride adds about 50 miles if your intended destination is Laredo, TX. Nevertheless, recommended to me by tricepilot, this is a good crossing that at first I thought would be unecessary for my return route. However, I would rather be riding than waiting, so the suggestion proved to be very worthwhile. Just another crossing point to consider for those on the return who need to cross in the vicinity.

You can cancel the TVIP right there at the bridge. Immigration MEX is nearby, so I also cancelled the FMT and also had my passport stamped with the exit. US Border Patrol asked a few questions at entry, but seemed mostly interested in the motorcycle and the ride.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #124
pdgoodman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thanks!

Thanks to Jeff for a super informative post, and to all the other posters for their insights. Looking forward to a trip later this year.
pdgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #125
August
August

Oddometer: 103
Travelling down Baja and then over to mainland for a month. Can any of the required paperwork/permits/visas be secured ahead of time on-line?

I have my international drivers license and insurance

Thanks
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #126
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 826
yes

You can do it online and have it delivered to you door. I cant remember the site but I found the link here among the wealth of info. I think this might help

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/si...ionesIITV.html

Denalidirt screwed with this post 02-10-2010 at 06:29 PM
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #127
egwags
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Baja and Over to the Mainland

I'm heading down Baja and then over to the mainland via Mazatlan two-up with my girlfriend, who is Mexican. She is usually fearless when it comes to travel, but she has expressed some concern about our upcoming trip after spending a week in Monterey (her home growing up).

I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this safety, but some of them are a little dated as things are happening so fast in Mexico right now.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on our route with any direct or secondary experience.

We're planning the following:
Phoenix - La Paz (crossing in either Mexicali or Tijuana - not sure which)
Ferry over to Mazatlan
Head down to Puerto Vallarta and Jalisco
Head over to Guanajuato and up through San Luis Potosi
We'll explore along the way maybe stopping in Monterey
Cross the border in Nuevo Loredo?

I'd be interested to hear any insight anyone has about an particulars about the trip. We have both traveled extensively in Mexico with a long road trip last year throughout the Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Chipas, Tobasco, and Campeche, and I have always felt incredibly safe. But the north seems to have its share of troubles these days, and while we're all about the adventure, I don't want to do anything stupid - particularly, and obviously, I don't want to put her in danger.

My original plan was to head south from Phoenix and cross at Nogales and then head down through the Copper Canyon, but my girlfriend was nervous about traveling through Sonora and Sinaloa. It seems to me like these problems are really limited to the cities and at night, but like I said, I have precious cargo, so I want to take the proper precautions.

I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide. I need to pull the trigger on this trip soon, and I'm really on the fence.

Thanks a lot.
egwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #128
macgart
johnny mac

Oddometer: 194
I did not see it listed here, but does anyone know how much of a block they place on your credit card for the vehicle importation? It was noted that someone tried with a maxed out card and was denied.

Just curious how much and if it is a block (and for how long) or other.

Outstanding info by the way. Wish I'd found this sooner.

~ Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels ~

http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com
macgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #129
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwags
I'm heading down Baja and then over to the mainland via Mazatlan two-up with my girlfriend, who is Mexican. She is usually fearless when it comes to travel, but she has expressed some concern about our upcoming trip after spending a week in Monterey (her home growing up).

I know there have been a lot of posts regarding this safety, but some of them are a little dated as things are happening so fast in Mexico right now.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on our route with any direct or secondary experience.

We're planning the following:
Phoenix - La Paz (crossing in either Mexicali or Tijuana - not sure which)
Ferry over to Mazatlan
Head down to Puerto Vallarta and Jalisco
Head over to Guanajuato and up through San Luis Potosi
We'll explore along the way maybe stopping in Monterey
Cross the border in Nuevo Loredo?

I'd be interested to hear any insight anyone has about an particulars about the trip. We have both traveled extensively in Mexico with a long road trip last year throughout the Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Chipas, Tobasco, and Campeche, and I have always felt incredibly safe. But the north seems to have its share of troubles these days, and while we're all about the adventure, I don't want to do anything stupid - particularly, and obviously, I don't want to put her in danger.

My original plan was to head south from Phoenix and cross at Nogales and then head down through the Copper Canyon, but my girlfriend was nervous about traveling through Sonora and Sinaloa. It seems to me like these problems are really limited to the cities and at night, but like I said, I have precious cargo, so I want to take the proper precautions.

I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide. I need to pull the trigger on this trip soon, and I'm really on the fence.

Thanks a lot.
Calexico/Mexicali is universally recommended over TJ.

If you pass through Monclova (N. of Saltillo) take the libre through town
and avoid the bypass as there is an extortion racket along that road.

Don't know where you're heading after Nvo. Laredo but if it's north I high-
ly recommend crossing upstream (north west) from Nvo. Laredo at the
Colombia Bridge crossing. It's a full service crossing with very little non-
commercial traffic (mostly NAFTA trucks) and private vehicles queue up in
a different lane. VERY quick and easy so long as your lady has her papers
in order (been there, done that). If not then you must enter the US
Customs bldg to resolve the issue before entering US.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #130
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDark
how much actually? i have no idea and very curious about that!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #131
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Honduras - El Amatillo title requirement

EDIT: Last week at El Amatillo I was required to produce an original title to bring my bike into Honduras. Maybe everyone else is immune to this rule but this is what happend to me.

I'm sure that if you dont have it, there are ways around it, but it will cost you time and money.

So just a heads up, the title or titulo WAS REQUIRED FOR ME and yes they know what a title looks like as well. A registration card was not good enough for them. A copy of the title did not work, I had to have the original. These aduana people are not stupid, they can tell the difference. So if you try to use a copy, it better be perfect.

BTW my crossing into Honduras at El Amatillo took only an hour and cost 35 bucks, Crossing into Nicaragua took only an hour as well and IIRC was about 3 bucks, then 12 bucks for insurance. All the officials were pleasant and helpful. The El Amatillo crossing was a smooth as any other. That surprised me after all the nightmare stories I have heard.

No bribes were paid.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:31 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #132
Zarks
Zarks

Oddometer: 3
Transmigrant permit or visa?

Hi All,

Have been reading this thread and learning a lot (hopefully!), and was wondering if anyone has had to obtain a "transmigrant permit, or transmigrant visa" if going through Mexico to Central America for the bike or for themselves?

Was on Sanborns (Insurance) website last night, and they said that is what you need when going 'through' Mexico as opposed to in and out of Mexico?

Another question, which I hope is not redundant, but the $400 dollar deposit paid for a vehicle (motorbike) newer than year 2000 upon entering Mexico, if one is crossing from the USA into Mexico and departing Mexico into Central America, please tell me getting the deposite back at the exit point is possible? :)

Thanks, and hope this are not repeat questions!

Cheers,

Ian
Zarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #133
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Last week at El Amatillo I found out that a vehicle title is REQUIRED for entry into Honduras.
Respectfully Disagree
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #134
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Respectfully Disagree
OK, let me rephrase that. At El Amatillo last week on Saturday at approximately 1100 hours with a chubby light brown haired gal working at Aduana, I was required to produce an original title in order to enter Honduras.

I'm not making this up, it really happened. I did not misunderstand anything.

I didnt think I had the title on me, but after searching through all my stuff, I did have it on me and was out of there in less than an hour. No problems.

If I did not have the title, I would have probably had to go to another crossing, pay a bribe, or wait there a helluva lot longer and argue the point to get things sorted out.

Whether or not a title is actually required was irrelevant in my case. I've always been a little "special" I was required to produce one to get through in a timely manner. So my advice would be to bring your title. Obviously yall can do whatever you like. Just thought I would impart my experience and maybe save someone a big headache if it were to happen again.

Bob, I'm sure that you are correct about the actual rules. However the actual rules didnt really matter in this case. This is what I had to do to get through. If they were playing a little game with me i didnt really see the point. I paid no extra fees or mordidas (nor did they even hint at one) and it only cost me the time it took to find where I had hidden my title.

If I had not found my title, I would have gone back to El Salvador and tried to enter Honduras from another place before I would have paid a mordida or killed all day sitting at that border.

crashmaster screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 08:08 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #135
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
OK, let me rephrase that. At El Amatillo last week on Saturday at approximately 1100 hours with a chubby light brown haired gal working at Aduana, I was required to produce an original title in order to enter Honduras.
Way out West-1310041

Yep, I needed that too. Canadian registration sort-of doubles as title (we don't have titles). They were happy with that. No bribes, no helpers. Lot's o' photocopies.
Way out West-1310038

Way out West-1310046

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote