User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Urgent Reading for Husky Owners TE-SM - 610's

My primary drive nut came loose today and I got the rumble strip vibe. My shifting got noticably more difficult yesterday on a long ride and so I was going to check it tonight. Well this morning on commute it went south. So don't waver, don't hesitate, check that torque or at your peril...Luckily I don't think I sheered my woodruff key as Chadley had . I called my dealers Mechanic and he called Husky; evidently everyone is just fixing their own as Husky hasn't heard of the issue??? Oh well you've been warned .

Oh the mechanic said he couldn't technically recommend Locktite on that nut but said a drop would help...what say ye oh wise ones?

Dan

Edit: read last posts, the key was definately sheared and the torque must be checked on all 610's.

The blue arrow points to the culprit.

buffallodan screwed with this post 06-04-2006 at 07:19 AM
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Jim, I didn't have a 24mm socket so I used a breaker bar on opposite side and a crescent wrench on nut and tightened as best I could considering I was doing it alone. I cleaned nut, ect. and hammered the washer over in two places. It ran much better and was smoother both shifting and had noticably less vibes than it did yesterday before I got the rumbles. So you think the key definatly sheared? I only ran it for a few minutes and easy as it was rumbling right after I started it. I will order the woodruff key like you suggest but can I ride it until the part comes in ?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 568
Eh? Oh brother, this sucks.

Damn buffallodan, that really sucks.
If I were you, I would not ride on it, AT ALL, until the repair has been made.
If you felt the "rumble strips vibe" set-in suddenly, you have sheared the woodruff key on the crank. The crank is the one with the blue arrow. The reason I don't think you should ride it is that you run the risk of the broken woodruff key coming loose into your engine, where it could ruin gears, your clutch, or even bounce into the transmission.

Remember to check the keyway on both drive gears that ride the crank. You will have to remove the clutch to do this. If there is any stretching of the metal, the gear should be replaced. Any play in this keyway in relation to the new woodruff key would result in a hammer like effect on the new key when the bike was running. I don't want to scare anybody, but even though the crankshaft is far harder than the gears and woodruff key, there is a chance that it too is damaged, although it is probably not.

I ordered the parts to do the repair on my bike on Saturday the 20th of May. When I ordered them, the parts man told me that all the parts I ordered showed to be in stock at Husky USA. When my parts arrived last Friday, they were a gear short and a specially shaped lockwasher short. I called my dealer today to see if he had heard anything about the backordered parts, and he said he had not. He said Husky doesn't always return his phone calls, and he would try to find out when I might receive the parts. You can imagine how hard this is to swallow.

I tried to find out who to ask for at Husky USA but he must not have received my PM or did not want to reply for some reason. I thought I remembered reading about someone from Husky USA that dealt quite fairly with him. No big deal, I am sure I will work it out when the parts come in and hopefully this will be a bad memory.

I will definitely use some high temp. high strength loctite on the nut after torquing it to 78 ft. lbs, that is what it was supposed to be torqued to during assembly. After 7 or 8 years of Buell(s) ownership, I am a big believer in loctite.

Please let me know how your parts ordering goes, as I will let you know of mine. If you would like to see the part numbers of what I ordered, let me know. It is hard to find one of the two gears in the parts manual because they are both not on the same drawing. Two gears that sit next to eachother on the same shaft are on two different pages of the parts manual, as far as I can tell. Hopefully yours are not damaged.

Sorry for the long post.

PS I ordered TWO woodruff keys, and they only shipped one. The other shows to be backordered. Does that mean there are no woodruff keys at Husky USA???? - hard to believe, but I am trying to stay positive.

Arch screwed with this post 01-17-2007 at 12:31 PM Reason: site maint
Chadleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Chadleys1
working on it

not today

Today I do not roll.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chadley would it be too much trouble to give me the part numbers I need to order. Do I only need the Keys or are you thinking there is a small chance there could be other damage?

I can't believe having my mechanic call Husky and them telling Him they hadn't had any issues with this. That pisses me off. End of rant.
Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
You guy's have way more money than me.

This is not a good thread for Husky.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

This ain't JoMomma. Please move along...
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
Chadleys1
working on it

I really believe in the design of these bikes, and can't wait for my parts to come in so I can unleash it on the trails like before. I have a long list of places to ride it, and I can't wait to hit them all so I can make a new list. It sucks, waiting, but I knew before I bought it that acquiring parts might be slightly difficult (for a while) and that because the bike was "improved" this year, I might end up being a guinea pig of sorts. We'll get the bugs out soon enough.

Buffallodan,

Here are the parts and numbers that I needed. The smaller of the two gears that ride the crank, drives the clutch, which is a lot of torque. On my bike, the keyway of this gear was very slightly stretched. Because of this, I decided to order a new one, even though I know some old timers who would have made a customized woodruff key to fill the stretch, I chose not to do so for peace of mind. Once I get it sorted, I plan to really push this bike as far as long off road camping trips go. The other, larger, gear that drives the counterbalancer shaft did not appear to be stretched in the keyway, but I did not have the correct calipers or measurements handy to verify this so I ordered that gear, also. Call it $73 of insurance. I would probably order a gasket for the right side cover for when this one starts to leak from being reinstalled so many times, but I forgot about it.

8000 97935-Driving Gear(to clutch, 32 teeth)
8000 22426-Woodruff Key (both gears ride the same key)
8000 86007-Lockwasher (for crankshaft nut, mine was distorted)
8000 71021-Driving Gear(to counterbalancer shaft gear, 39 teeth)
8000-36857-Lockwasher(for clutch, might as well replace $1.60)

Jim tried to save us from this grief. I wish I would have fully understood at the time, but it is hard when you have new badass motorbike syndrome, to think clearly.

No more rants from me, today.

Arch screwed with this post 01-17-2007 at 12:32 PM Reason: site maint
Chadleys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
ARod2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Good information. Is this problem confined to the 610's or has anyone experienced this with the 450s and 510s? thx.
ARod2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
JamesC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
HI Guys,

Regarding loctite usage..a prescribed loctite product for this specific nut application on other Italian motorcycles is Loctite 603 (used to be 601). It's technically a 'retaining compound'. I use it as prescribed on our Ducati and MV so wouldn't hesitate to use it in this application.

http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/603-EN.pdf

Not the easiest to find but McMaster carries it, pg 3220

http://www.mcmaster.com/
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,574
Husky nut

Hey, I just bought one. Pick it up Friday ! Upstate Cycle, SC

I love the fact that I found out about this potential problem and can check/fix it before the engine even starts. I'm sure they ran it at the factory, but you know what I mean.

I will take pictures to verify things.

Thanks a bunch guys !

scfrank

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM   #12
DirtDesirer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cry Another happy 610 owner

OK, in response to the 'bad thread for Husky' quote, it's time for me to chime in. First, a brief noob intro: My only previous bike was '91 KLR 250 that I owned for three years and had to get rid of about nine years ago. After learning to ride on that I began to dream of something with more power (my wrist would get sore from riding with the throttle pegged so much of the time) and always figured my next bike would be an XR650. Fast forward way too many years to this one and I discover that it has become nearly impossible to get an XR650R plated in California (I thought I'd treat myself to brand new after waiting so damn long) and the XRL's and DRS's just aren't doing it for me. But what's this I hear? Husky has a full line of 50 state street legal four strokes? Music to my ears. As I am not a 'transport the bike to the ride' kind of guy and much of my riding will entail signiificant stretches of pavement before the dirt, the TE610 fit the bill perfectly.
Yes, there have been issues; leaky gasket (covered under warranty, no big deal). Intermittent speedo (probably just a loose connection that I have yet to trace). Melted rear turn signal (since replaced with cheap small ones that stay out of the way and look way better anyway). And finally, the counterbalance issue. Felt the "rumble strips", immediately recalled a post I had read here, nursed it home and took it to the dealer along with a printout of said post (which greatly helped speed up the diagnosis). Had to wait an agonizing two and a half weeks for the woodruff key. Not sure if that was due to Husky USA or my dealer's ordering process (way too many employees sown there).
My point; despite above mentioned issues and after 2000+ miles, I LOVE this bike. I completely agree with all Jimconemu (spelling?) has said. This bike is equally at home on tight technical trails as it is doing 70+ down the highway and everywhere else in between. I think it may have been an SM owner who said this, but it applies here as well, "This bike makes you want to ride like a punk." The power (after rejetting) is awesome. I ride it to work whenever I can and get some pretty funny looks when I pull up in my office wear and haven't had time to clean the weekend's dirt off the bike. Which reminds me of the only thing I don't like about the bike; not enough time to ride it!
Bottom line: I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Sorry for the long post and thanks to all who have posted much information about their bikes that has enhanced ownership of mine.
DirtDesirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Follow up;
I tightened up the nut and it is running fine with no hint of vibration. I have gotten differing opinions on wether the woodruff key is sheared or not and my logic is how could it be running this smooth with a sheared key? So until it vibes again I am gonna leave well enough alone. If I didn't feel in over my head I would tear into it but I think I will leave it to the dealer if there is a problem again. Thanks for the advice everyone and if you haven't checked your torque, you should.

Dan

P.S. Chadley if could take some pics of the fix and maybe if I get some courage I will check mine, also I called Mototoxica and they could have the parts you need as they have carried the Husky's for a while and those parts may be the same as older TE's...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
Chadleys1
working on it

buffallo

Buffallodan, I am PMing you.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #15
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
I have to add as an '03 TE610E owner that this is an assembly, not design problem. This engine has been around since '98 TE610E was introduced(was not sold in US until '00) and has not had this problem before. My dealer has sold 5 or 6 '06 610's and has not had this come up yet. He just got a TE610 and a red and white SM610, the SM is pretty sexy!

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote