Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #121
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,937
Yes Cody, that is it. More pics very soon.

I got back from the BMW rally w/ my GF and we had a great time. It was a lot of fun hanging out w/ the ADVrider crew and talking w/ the vendors.

I also got a chance to retest my bike after some jet changes at Mid Cities, in West Bend.

Info is here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=112
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #122
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

A few more pics from CO last month.

It was great to get a chance to meet up w/ Cody. I had a great time and he showed me some awesome places to ride.

I think he wanted to make sure my bike got a chance to get some of the bugs washed off from the ride out, but only the wheels and bottom of the tanks got a de-dusting. This was in the 4 mile area.
Attached Images

cjracer screwed with this post 09-20-2007 at 11:57 AM
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #123
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

The next day we rode to Lake City. It was a perfect day, the sun was out and the temp was perfect for riding. After lunch, we said our goodbyes and I was off solo for the rest of my trip.

I headed to Engineer Pass on my way to Silverton.

After that, I got down to Animas Forks and checked it out for a bit. Pretty cool, but too many tourists for me. It was about 2pm, so I figured I'd see what else I could find instead of heading right to Silverton to set up camp.

This looked fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #124
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Found this classic up there. An old Ski-Doo. Lawn art for the owner of the house.

Then I saw another trail that looked challenging.

There were 2 ATV heading up and I saw a lot of tracks so I figured that it may hook up w/ Oury like the map showed. I passed a jeep going up b/c I needed the speed and momentum to get up the snowy spots.

I made it to the top and from as far as I could see it look like it had been plowed open. Only down hill from here.

Let me say that I was fully packed. I had a 0Deg bag, my tent, about 3 days worth of food and as you can see penty of water. I made up a soda can cooker to use on this trip to heat water and I had plenty of fuel, so I figured if anything happens where I get stuck I would be fine to hike out and seek help. If I did not have this stuff w/ me I would have never been this adventurous. Plus I figured that the ATVs and jeep would pass me if I stopped long enough.

Ok, I start down the pass only to find the Bulldozer parked just out of sight from above and around a corner. Nobody around. The view was nice though.

Now I'm sliding down a mostly ice/snow covered pass only to realize that I have to turn the bike around and get this thing out of there. It was too slick w/ my MX boots on to get a good footing so I just unloaded the bike set it down on it's side and spun it around on the ground. The SW motech bars and my home made ammo can boxes stood up just fine. The safest way I figured. I got it pointing in the correct direction and started to hike to the top to find help. It was about 3:30pm and 40 deg.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #125
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Looks like a fun ride.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #126
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,209

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #127
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

So....While I was hiking back up I kept trying to hear those ATVs or the jeep. Nothing.... Then I look up and I see 2 people at the top by the sign, I start yelling "HELP" and luckily they hear me. They have 2 ATVS and are willing to help me. They were a local couple and the were so nice. we got to talking and they actually knew were Mukwonago WI is, she had a friend that lived near by.

Anyways, one ATV was the biggest one Kawasaki makes, big lugged tires, winch, 650 twin. All green, great looking quad. Perfect, I thought. This should be a peice of cake. He tells me he's never gotten stuck w/ it yet, and was very eager and willing to hook up to the front of my bike and pull me out.

We hooked up some straps to the front of my crash bars, perfect spot. I could steer w/o worries of the straps getting in the way.

NO Luck, all he did was spin. He rides dirt bikes too, KTMs, "So how heavy is this thing?"

His quad weighed about 600-700lbs I figured, and mine w/o gear is about 500.

"Not wonder this is not moving" We hook both quads together and pull. Still no luck.

He had to spin his around and use the winch...30ft at a time. This may take a while I thought. But it was progress.

It took us about 2hrs to get my dumb ass out of that situation, but everyone was safe and smart about it. Very, very nice people. Thank you again. No pics, I was busy holding the bike up. Unfortunately in my haste to get everything repacked once we got down the other side, I put there contact info in a not so water tight spot and it was unreadable when I got to camp. She took some great pics I'm sure of it.

I got to Silverton at around 8:30, set up camp, ate and had no problem going to sleep. What a great day.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #128
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Next day, Fri, was going to be a long one so I got going as early as I could manage. Plan was Ohir Pass, snack at Telluride, Alta Lakes, 550 to Oury to Silverton, Over Cinnamon pass, Lake city to Creede, IF time allowed Medano Pass north. Then camp up at Tarryall Reservoir. ( I passed through there earlier that week and at a place scoped out)

No problem right?

Gassed up in Silverton, Ohir pass was no problem, but I was tight squeezing past a small Toyota that was coming up. I sure would not want to be in another truck and meet him, no turn offs. I even stopped when I was right next to his window and asked "What would you do if I was in a truck?" He gave me this look.

After Telluride I was trying to head up to Alta lakes, no one I asked knew if the roads were open yet, so I figured I'd try, It was a great day. (The camp pics was taken in the morn when I left)

Found some nice camp spots for future use, but the raods were still snowed in just past the old mine. Not wanting to tempt fate again, I retreated and headed back the way I came. Lost a lot of day light back tracking b/c the road did not go through. Oh well.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #129
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

550 is a great road, But sucks w/ traffic, and what's w/ the 25 or 35 mph speed limit. Come on, live a little. Fri everyone must have been heading out to there little slice of heaven, RV and Trailer trains.

Lucky for me a real nice BMW RT passed me. Seeing as how I was doing the speed limit like everyone else, and not a local I didn't want to get pinched. So I stuck to him like glue, passing w/ him when it was safe, taking open corners at 45-50. Remember, I'm fully loaded w/ TKC's, he's not and has street tires. The first few corners I was right w/ him, When he looked back and saw that I was still w/ him I think he shit him self. From that point it was on. He wicked it up a bit and we enjoyed the rest of 550 to Silverton. I was hoping he would pull off at the gas station when I did to chat for a bit, but he was heading south the Durango, We gave each other the thumbs up and off we went. What a bike.

So I made it over to Sand dunes. What an odd area. Mountains all around and then a big sand box. Just looked very out of place.
Attached Images

cjracer screwed with this post 10-10-2007 at 07:42 AM
Old 10-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #130
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

I roll up to the park entrance. It's well worth the $3 or so to go in. My plans were to get over Medano pass that evening. I ask how high the water crossing are and if the pass is open. The guys say it is open and passable, but they had to rescue a bike already today from the deep sand. He eyes up my bike and says " If you don't stop you'll be fine" I'm starting to wonder?

I start on the trail over the pass, They are nice they give you about a 1/4 mile to see if you can do it then there is a sign that says something like "Past this point minimum wrecker fee is $500" It's do or die now.

I had to keep the bike on a 10" wide strip of sand where the OHV's had packed it down, if you get out of that you sink in about 5". Stay on the throttle and I kept moving forward. The near by camp sites must have thought "what the heck is that sport bike doing out in sand", by the sound of my bike.

All I could think about was how was I going to do 19 miles of this, as the park ranger told me that was how far it is until you get to road again.

Then I started coming to the water crossing. They were higher than normal and there were signs warning you of that. The pass got much less sanding as I headed up, that was great, now I just have to get through the rivers.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #131
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

This the the worst one I came too. Before I rode bikes I did a fair amount of trail riding w/ my lifted truck. Ruts like these were the norm. Most of the vehicle around these parts don't run huge tires. 35" being the average that I've seen. I tested out the depth of the ruts and found that they were only about 10" deeper than the center section. Further in where the water is all the way across the trail it was about 2 feet deep in the ruts. Unsure of the dirt make up in this area, I decided to ride the high center section, if I got stuck I'd have to hike back to the nearest camp ground and look for help. It was less deep, but if I slid off or cross rutted I'd be down. I ended up making it through easier than I thought and I was off again.

There ended up being 10 or so water crossings.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #132
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

I made it to the top and it was getting late. I had a ways to go yet (100 miles or so) and the tops on my GPS and the roads were not agreeing, so I just went for the one w/ the most use. This was going great, what a fun road, then I came to this. Not wanting to waist time back tracking to find a way around I could see the road below me as the switch back headed around. Good thing I had the bike, OHV's had to turn around, I snuck through the woods, up and over downed trees and brush and came out safe on the road. I love this bike. "Tread Lightly" You could not even tell where I went through.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #133
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

I stayed at Tarryall Reservoir that night. (Free camping) Rolled in around 11pm on a Fri night. It was packed, a few locals from Denver let me put my tent up on there site. Thanks Guys.

Woke up in the morn to a great view. Sun was shining. I was off to Denver to pick up the rest of my stuff I had dropped off at Q-dog's brother in laws place, then head home. I found out that he was not feeling well and headed back by himself on Wed to get back to lower elevation. They were so nice to let me shower and get freshened up. Thanks again.

I got packed and left Denver around noon. It was hot 80-90F Every gas stop I would saturate my t-shirt to keep me cool. That worked great. I'd never done that before, I actually got chills from it then. I stopped every 200 miles for gas, water and pee. I was making great time. I was considering camping when I started getting dark, but the thought of unloading everything to set up camp turned me off. I'll just get a hotel. When I stopped for gas at the next place I asked about a cheap place, they told me everything was booked solid and way over priced now b/c of the little league world series that was going on. (I think that was it, it was a baseball game I know that) I moved on. Getting out of the mountains and back to sea level had given me a big boost of energy. I was not that tired all of a sudden and I just kept riding. I made it home around 5am. Put the bike in the garage and crashed in my own bed. It was nice to be home.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #134
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

That last day was my longest ever. Now that I know I can get out to CO in one day. I'll have to get out there more often. Thanks for all the help from the people I met along the way.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #135
nochance
Über Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
great pictures and commentary, I am fortunate to have spent a little time in the southwest corner of Colorado, covered some of the same passes in an old stock 4 cylinder rental jeep from Ouray. I would love to get back there on a bike, thanks for sharing the adventure.

What did you use for tires on that trip?

nochance is offline   Reply With Quote