Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
"Rubber banding" and Copying Waypoints

I believe GadgetGuy explained this a few months back in a thread related to McCurdy's file of Waypoints for BMW dealers. I don't think I ever understood it fully, nor have I been able to do it. Here's what I want to do, with a bit of context first. In ten days I'm riding from Ontario to Colorado. I want to upload waypoints to my 276C for all BMW motorcycle dealers in the areas I'm travelling through. I do not, however, want to upload every dealer waypoint from the McCurdy file as there are many I do not need and they just clog up the list of waypoints on the GPS. Question: how can I easily copy the ones I want and paste them into a new Mapsource file, then upload that? I know I can open the McCurdy file I have saved on my PC in Mapsource, click on the Waypoint tab on the left of the screen and manually highlight, one by one, each one on the list of 150-odd waypoints that I want, then copy/paste those etc. However, I thought GadgetGuy said you could "rubber band" the ones I want on the graphic map and somehow copy/paste those. If that's possible, it would save a hell of a lot of time. Can I do this? It's easy to rubber band and highlight in yellow those that I want, but when I right click my mouse button, you only get two choices, neither of which is appropriate. How do I copy the highlighted waypoints? Is there a keyboard command I'm supposed to use?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,085
It's simple.
  1. Open your .gdb file with all of the BMW waypoints and select the waypoint tab bringing them to the front on the left window.
  2. Zoom out to the area covering your routes and then using the pointer tool, rubber band the area, all the waypoints within will turn yellow.
  3. Move the mouse over to one of the selected waypoints in the waypoint list and right click, selecting copy.
  4. Now open your actual route file
  5. Go to the waypoint window and then right click, select paste and voila!

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
It Worked!!

Thanks, I just tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm. I said GadgetGuy in my original post, but I should have credited you. Thanks again.

marco polo screwed with this post 06-01-2006 at 05:14 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote