Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #196
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift
I too have just read your reports snowrider, great stuff! You are a true adventurer!
About the DR, I have one also, and have been reading all of the threads about the upper chain roller issue, can I ask, what, if anything, have you done with yours? Is it still intact and on the bike, or have you removed it?
Any other major issues with the DR? Thanks!
Dave
It's still on there. I replaced one at some point, but don't remember which. The replacement didn't seem very good, so it was probably the lower one, which I think is missing right now. Not real concerned. If it breaks a piece out of the frame like with some, I'll just weld it up.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #197
West Coast Mags
Parlor Snake

Oddometer: 369
Great thread

I enjoyed the trip report, it's a reminder that us fat guys with beards can do cool stuff everynow and then. I'm getting ready to read the alaska thread, snowrider for the whitehouse!
West Coast Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #198
West Coast Mags
Parlor Snake

Oddometer: 369
Alaska Thread was great too

I just finished you Alaska thread, what an awesome story as well. Having had a DR previously trips of those magnitudes are an undertaking. Awesome trips, keep us posted on your next ones. Nice work on the guitar also!!
West Coast Mags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #199
motosaint
LTLYLTL!

Oddometer: 566
Hotel costs in Mexico...

How much was the average price of a hotel in Mexico? I hope to go in December.. I don't mind roughing it... But it's good info. to have. I would LOVE to camp on the beach!

BTW, thanks for making me decide on the DR650 for my adventure bike... I'm going to read some more about your trips before asking questions about your setup.. I'm impressed that you didn't have any sidecases.. I prefer not to. But I plan to camp out a lot more so it might be necessary. Great ride report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
Well, I only camped once in Mexico. I would say it was a waste bringing all the stuff, but the one time I did camp I was REALLY glad I had that option because I didn't have any others at the time. If you're just travelling through and not going into the bush/desert, and not trying remote roads late in the day, you're probably better off not bringing the camping stuff. I think I'd still travel with something I could make an emergency lean-to out of. Maybe a lightweight tarp and some tie lines.

My Adventures

Trip through the American Northwest - Maybe - 2010
San Francisco to San Diego Quickly - 2010
My First Big Mexican Ride - 2009
Northern California for 4 Days - 2008

Current Ride
Suzuki 2002 - DR650 (Anna)

MSF BRC Graduate '07
motosaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #200
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Around $20 or less usually for the motels. 180-200 pesos.
In the future for luggage I'll be using dry bags secured in a saddle bag position on the bike with a system I'm making that will adapt to mount any type or size of soft bag not necessarilly intended for motorcycle use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosaint
How much was the average price of a hotel in Mexico? I hope to go in December.. I don't mind roughing it... But it's good info. to have. I would LOVE to camp on the beach!

BTW, thanks for making me decide on the DR650 for my adventure bike... I'm going to read some more about your trips before asking questions about your setup.. I'm impressed that you didn't have any sidecases.. I prefer not to. But I plan to camp out a lot more so it might be necessary. Great ride report!
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote