03 Honda Ruckus (SOLD)
02 KLR650 (ON LOAN)
96 Honda XR650L (SOLD)
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #48
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Hooligan-to Mexico, haven't you been paying attention?
I appreciate your posts, Snowrider, 'cuz if it were me, I'd have a hard time taking a break from everything else to post for us. I appreciate your commitment to loosers like me who can't get away.

ditchbanker screwed with this post 06-14-2006 at 02:36 PM Reason: typo
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #49
pelikan
Jedi Master

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2
BTW how far can you run on reserve before you stop. Toddy
Ive been getting about 200 (miles not those km things) down here but I am going to put back on the normal front sprocket to help out, I am suprised at how fast it is down here. Especially Baja.

Snowrider, maybe we`ll meet up down here. I met this guy from berkely and said I never heard of anybody doing this on a Suzuki, and he was on a xr!

pelikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #50
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Old 06-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #51
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I havent gone far. Im at a nice restaurant halfway between Juarez and Chihuahua. I stayed in Juarez 4 days building a house in the sand of a community called Loma Blanca. I worked sun up to sun down except for a two hour siesta in the hottest part of the day, every day except the last one. Im fully adjusted to the heat, Im comfortable, Im ready to go, and Im also a little sad to be done with the house. Wonderful people there, and the rest of this may seem too easy now. Or maybe I just dont know what Im in for. Well see, and thats the point of this.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #52
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider
I havent gone far. Im at a nice restaurant halfway between Juarez and Chihuahua. I stayed in Juarez 4 days building a house in the sand of a community called Loma Blanca. I worked sun up to sun down except for a two hour siesta in the hottest part of the day, every day except the last one. Im fully adjusted to the heat, Im comfortable, Im ready to go, and Im also a little sad to be done with the house. Wonderful people there, and the rest of this may seem too easy now. Or maybe I just dont know what Im in for. Well see, and thats the point of this.
Snowrider, you my friend ROCK!

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #53
Ramata
Wind

Oddometer: 76
Chihuahua

Hey Snow, great that you'll be visiting this beautiful (but dry) part of Mxico. Let me know if there's something I can do for you.
Or if there's a backroad you'd like to ride.
Ramata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 PM   #54
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Riding around El Paso to buy a hat and work boots I saw this guy riding with a Mexican flag
as a cape. When he was going down the street it was flying behind him like a superhero
cape, but I could only get this shot of him at a stoplight.

Somehow I went from missing the downtown border exit in El Paso to this spot in New Mexico,
still looking for a border crossing. I figured I may as well ride some dirt, since I
couldn't figure out how to get across something that was literally right in front of my
face.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #55
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I went back into El Paso and found that downtown border crossing. Then I spent 3 hours or so riding around blazing hot Juarez trying to follow directions and get new directions over a spotty cell phone connection. I had better luck following the the spanish directions I got roadside than I did with the english directions I got over the phone.
One of the main streets I was looking for had a banner covering the name of the street on the signs that marked it. I was told this was part of some promotion the city is doing. If they wanted to promote curb and median hopping skills and illegal-even-in-Mexico U-turns, it worked. I got directions from someone on the street and finally figured it out. In the process I learned that car drivers sitting in traffic with their hazards on don't want pushed out of traffic, and that motorcyclists run red lights. After filtering to the front of red lights, riders that get tired of waiting just go when it's clear. I immediately took up this practice.
Eventually, I found Loma Blanca, and the new and nameless community next to it which looks like a bunch of shacks built on a huge offroad riding park that happens to be all sand. Here I would work for an organization called Casas Por Christos that primarily builds houses for families that can't afford houses, using volunteer American labor. The house I would help build in this case, was actually a building for a school and a local church for this new community.

The foundation had to be completed the first day, so we worked well after dark to put a big flat hard thing in the middle of what I'd call mostly sugar sand. Much of the cement was mixed by hand even after I fixed the cement mixer with the file on my SOG tool.

The next day it was framed. We couldn't make the generator start, so all the boards were cut by hand with very short saws that were not made for this.

After three and a half days the stucco, electricity and sheetrock was done and we had this simple 3 room building.

snowrider screwed with this post 07-09-2006 at 09:03 AM
Old 06-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #56
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
Freaking wow.

Wow, man, whole new levels of cool.
We need a smilie in a great big bow. You deserve it.
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #57
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:43 PM   #58
TooTall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Old 06-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #59
MNwilly
RIP, my friend...

Oddometer: 1,810
Another epic report.
MNwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #60
memphisslim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelikan
Ive been getting about 200 (miles not those km things) down here but I am going to put back on the normal front sprocket to help out, I am suprised at how fast it is down here. Especially Baja.

Snowrider, maybe we`ll meet up down here. I met this guy from berkely and said I never heard of anybody doing this on a Suzuki, and he was on a xr!

I think I spent a couple of days at this place Is this in ZAC?