Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #61
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I'm in Leon, I'm not sure what state. I stayed in Cuencame last night, a neat little town.
I got a very overpriced hotel here in Leon because I rode so long without seeing a motel. When I paid for the room I realized I left my visa card in an ATM machine. I've never used traveller's checks and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm going to call my bank in the morning I guess and try to figure it out.
snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:06 AM   #62
idood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Here's a map of where León is... León, Guanajuato, Mexico:

I've also marked where you were last night... Cuencame [Cuencamé de Ceniceros], Durango, Mexico.

Here's a link for more info if anyone care... http://www.tourbymexico.com/guana/leon/leon.htm

I'm bummed about your ATM card. If it's still in the machine, maybe the bank can send it to you at your current location... I guess you could always go back and get it... twould suck to back-track... though I guess it would suck more to be without your card.

Good luck and be safe!
idood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #63
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNwilly
Another epic report.
Too early to tell, but looking good so far!
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #64
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hello from Paracho de Veduzco, Michoacan.
I have solved the money problem. After a lot of sweat, (literal and figurative), I managed to coordinate a wire transfer from my bank to a Banorte branch in Leon. In my terrible Spanish I was able to get across to the banker only that I needed money from my bank in Wisconsin and that I was an idiot who lost my visa card. Fortunately a customer offered to translate to get the details, and I'm able to continue the trip now.
I've since made it to Paracho, and it is a wonderful town. I bought a new guitar yesterday from one of the Hermanos Hernandez, (I was very lucky to be found by them), and I've decided to stay an extra day anyway. This is the prettiest place yet in Mexico I think. Considering the washed out goat path I had to take through the neighboring town to get to Paracho, I was surprised to find it as modern as it is. It is a traditional Mexican town in the mountains with some modern facilities due to it's stable guitar-based economy.
I've been adopted by a gang of teenagers here who call me either "Hagrid", (they like Harry Potter a lot), or sometimes "Tio Bob" (Uncle Bob). I'm supposed to go meet them in the center of town in a few minutes, and depending when they let me go I may get a chance to put some pics up and continue the story from Juarez later today. I've got great pics of Chihuahua thanks to Ramata. The pics from Parral look great on the little camera screen and I'm anxious to see them on a moniter. Thanks again, Ramata.
Tomorrow I head for the southern coast and Oaxaca.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #65
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

About to leave Juarez. The wind got my hat eventually.

I left Juarez and headed south, and eventually hit a checkpoint. This is good, because they originally just waved
me through the border with no paper work.

I got one of these, which is supposed to make getting back out a lot easier.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #66
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

At a truckstop on the big highway to Chihuahua City.

When I got to Chihuahua I needed to do laundry bad so I got a hotel room. Across from the hotel I found a little restaurant shack that seemed to have a trucker theme. The woman who cooked there was great fun to talk to, even though we could barely communicate.

This is her son and a puppy that was left behind by a tourist from Denver, Colorado.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #67
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I met up with Ramata the next day and followed him to his hometown of Parral.

After getting gas, the Givi case on the back of his Freewind came loose and went skidding down the road. We safety-wired the mounting plate back on.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #68
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Some of the pics are dark because I´m using MS paint right now and can´t brighten the ones I use a low exposure for.

I´ll get more up later, I have to go meet a senorita now.

Here´s a preview pic of the road to Paracho:

Old 06-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #69
ditchbanker
Owner of dull user line

Oddometer: 1,143
ditchbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #70
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ramata led me into Parral for a good lunch. This is Ramata in front of a palace that was owned by a man rich enough to pay off Mexico´s debt. When he offered, the government said "no thanks".

Ramata led me up a steep dirt/gravel road to this place.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #71
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The road down.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #72
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I left Parral headed south and ended up riding into the night. At one point I was on a mountain road with no lights in sight and I pulled over and shut off the bike. I´ve never seen as many stars in the sky as there.
I eventually got a motel just outside a small town in Zacetecas. I don´t remember the name now, but it looked like a nice town passing through it the next day.

Passing through Jaun Aldama, Zacetecas.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #73
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

For some reason the rain was blowing straight towards me in this picture, but the storm clouds aren´t in view. This storm came and went--like it went away when I stopped, and came back as soon as I started riding again.

I got some carne asada at this street market and dried off.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:24 AM   #74
snowrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Through many of these towns it got difficult to follow the highway. My GPS' basemap doesn´t have much detail, but it almost always had a line where the highway I needed was, and without it I might still be in Juan Aldama. In one town I found the highway, but it had an off ramp for each direction and no on ramps. I watched two big trucks come down the off ramp to make sure I had room if I needed it, then rode up the off ramp and u-turned onto the highway.
I made it to Leon late at night, where I got a hotel. I didn´t want a big expensive hotel, but I hadn´t seen a motel in a long while. It´s a good thing, because at a motel it´s usually 200 pesos cash and here´s the key, but at this hotel they asked for a credit card. This is where I realized my ATM/visa card was missing, left in the last ATM machine. I paid cash for the room, then the next morning was able to arrange a wire transfer from my bank, to the Banorte branch right next door. This probably wouldn´t have been possible in many of the towns I´ve passed through.

Typical Mexican bike, 125cc Honda, outside the Banorte. On my way out of the mall´s parking lot, a delivery boy wheelied his two stroke suzuki off a speed bump to show off for me.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #75
Elefant 900 Rad
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,016
Aaron, good to see you on the road again. Enjoying your write-up and photos

If you come back up through San Diego on your way home, let us know.....remember, Thursday night's are for pizza, beer and riding stories
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote