Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #76
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,564
I'll be back......with some pics of the titled and licensed '02 brp......

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #77
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,195
OK so you traded one road burner for another.
I understand on your Victory, I sure like those 8 balls,

2 in my garage that will never go, Guzzi Quota, and 70' triumph t-100c 500.

thanks again
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #78
Mudshark
Ride Addict

Oddometer: 48
Thumb

Here's mine....

Mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #79
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 802
Here is my XR650RR project i've been working on

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:23 AM   #80
trialslord
n00b

Oddometer: 9
a few questions about the xr650r

ok guys ...talk me into buying one of these for a dualsport!!...I have been following this thread for awhile....I currently ride a dr 650 and a honda cb919(hornet)...and have to go back to one bike.
I have been riding offroad for years and like the xr for the abuse it can take and for the way nicer suspension and more power than the dr 650...
I have heard horror stories from the local shop of guys blowing the motor on these from racing around on the street for long periods of time....I know it's a dirt bike but I would also like to be able to hit the twisty's once in awhile...does anyone have any expereince with this problem? I want to be able to do longer rides on this bike(I know what mods I want)and want to make sure I am making the right decision!!
Thanks for any info on this bike!!
James
trialslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #81
xr650rmAINE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
triple tree set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
Here is my XR650RR project i've been working on

Hey can you tell me where you got the triple tree sub mount ? Thanks
oh yeah you all got cool looking bikes
xr650rmAINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #82
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialslord
ok guys ...talk me into buying one of these for a dualsport!!...I have been following this thread for awhile....I currently ride a dr 650 and a honda cb919(hornet)...and have to go back to one bike.
I have been riding offroad for years and like the xr for the abuse it can take and for the way nicer suspension and more power than the dr 650...
I have heard horror stories from the local shop of guys blowing the motor on these from racing around on the street for long periods of time....I know it's a dirt bike but I would also like to be able to hit the twisty's once in awhile...does anyone have any expereince with this problem? I want to be able to do longer rides on this bike(I know what mods I want)and want to make sure I am making the right decision!!
James
Right now I have low experiance with the XRR but the crazy thing, when I was saving my pennies and telling everybody I was getting a XR650R, everybody said you should get a DRZ400, now that I have the bike the same guys and are telling how sweet it is and how they wish they had one, and how good they are. funny how little opinion is worth. I would say PM some of the guys that are on this list and seem to have long experiance with thier bikes, Good luck on the hunt
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #83
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
if you aren't a tiny person and can pick the bike up after dropping it and then kick start it, you have nothing to worry about. its not smooth like a DR or XRL but nothing like straddling one of these beasts as it thumps along at idle then blippigg the throttle as you click into gear and ease out the clutch...my first 650R was street titled of which i rarely road on street. mainly to get to trails, etc. I rode it what seemed like 3-5 hours a week for almost 2 years. i'm sure it averaged less than that. if you spend a lot of time in the saddle you can become one with this bike. my core body strength increased as well from it. it is the funnest workout you can do if you like to ride hard and fast. just do it...

Quote:
James
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #84
trialslord
n00b

thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info guys....I should have no problems with the size of the bike...I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and have ridden trials all my life plus street bikes ect....I'm going to price out the conversion and then decide if I'm going to do it for sure....I think you guys have convinced me to buy one!
and yes I know not to take some advice about a bike from guys who don't own one!!...Ive had guys trying to talk me into 450's and stuff....rode the ktm 450 exc on the highway...wow...scarey...110kms hr and the thing gets head shake with damper on full!! ...please tell me the xr isn't like this?

...JKL...where abouts on vancouver island are you?...I live in shawnigan lake and have some fun trails around my place...we should hook up for a ride!
Thanks again for the input guys!!...
James
Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #85
texsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
you can get some headshake on teh 650 if your wheels aren't lined up good and straight. which means your chain isn't either. also, on hardpack with loose silt on top the front can drift when you get up around 70 or 80mph. that can get a little scary the first time it happens. i run a scotts damper with top/front pro mount and it works great for high speed straights like i just mentioned or loosen up a bit for woodsy trails with jumps. jumping the beast without a damper can get squirrely too...
texsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #86
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys....I should have no problems with the size of the bike...I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs and have ridden trials all my life plus street bikes ect....I'm going to price out the conversion and then decide if I'm going to do it for sure....I think you guys have convinced me to buy one!
and yes I know not to take some advice about a bike from guys who don't own one!!...Ive had guys trying to talk me into 450's and stuff....rode the ktm 450 exc on the highway...wow...scarey...110kms hr and the thing gets head shake with damper on full!! ...please tell me the xr isn't like this?

...JKL...where abouts on vancouver island are you?...I live in shawnigan lake and have some fun trails around my place...we should hook up for a ride!
Thanks again for the input guys!!...
James

Hey James,
I am in Sooke and I ride in the Sooke Hills to Shawnigan and Cowichan area.
Miguel is in the area too - he has just uncorked his XRR and will be dual-sporting it next.
Let's go riding!

JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #87
trialslord
n00b

xr650r

well I was at the shop today pricing the conversion...I'm waiting to hear back on the price for the parts and stuff ...the conversion looks pretty straight forward and will probably attempt it myself.
JKL...sounds good I'll get the bike going and we'll have to go for a ride!!!...lot's of good riding out sooke way!....is buttler and boneyard still closed off year round?(not that it stopped me before )...or just fire season now....I used to ride tonnes up in that area on the trials bike lot's of good stuff around there!!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #88
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650rmAINE
Hey can you tell me where you got the triple tree sub mount ? Thanks
oh yeah you all got cool looking bikes

IT's the worlds most expensive sub mount from SCOTTS. Wanted to get the GRP sub mount but they were backordered.

But it works great when things are going fast or on tight rocky/rooty trails

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #89
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 741

BRP has the sub-mount www.brpit.com

The Scotts stabilizer makes a big difference - the bike goes where you want it to go. With a proper suspension set-up riding is fast fun.

James - I usually go up Anderson Main which comes out on Butler Main and then head to Weeks Lake. Butler Main is closed, but that does not stop me.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #90
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,005