ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #31
GSGIRL
Neither here nor there

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Hi Grace

You can download the Mapsource program updates and drivers from Garmin, that will give you the program and drivers, but without the CD's you're basically screwed.

Which Quest? I might know a really nice person that has the right CD's/DVD. Either way, you will need to call Garmin and give them the SN or Registration number to track down the original unlock code for the unit and map version it shipped with.
Hi Phil

It is the original Quest (not the Quest 2). CroMag was kind enough to give me his hand-me-down. But not only does CroMag get lost on the road , but finding the cds in his house is quite another story.

I am going to cal Garmin today and ask them what they suggest.

Thanks!

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.

SmugMug Coupon: guwbixLxjaoTI
Save $5! I did!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #32
RosWell
Defeater of Gravity

Oddometer: 163
My favorite GPS utility/site

Hey Phil, don't forget to add http://gpsvisualizer.com to the list of places to visit. You can convert all sorts of data formats to others, make cool maps, and do just about anything one would want to do with their gps fairly easily there. They even offer some pretty cool .kml tools for Google Earth.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #33
gpsbilly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Garmin to Magellan

I've been through several threads, but still didn't find an answer to my question so I'll ask here:

How can I get a Garmin file (gdb or gpx) to people with a Magellan?

Sending my tracks and waypoints in the gpx format doesn't work, at least with the two guys who tried it last year. Yesterday I found a program called GPS TrackMaker, and it converts from gpx to Magellan's upt and log formats but I don't have anybody right now to try it on.

Thanks for any help coming my way... :)
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #34
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsbilly
I've been through several threads, but still didn't find an answer to my question so I'll ask here:

How can I get a Garmin file (gdb or gpx) to people with a Magellan?

Sending my tracks and waypoints in the gpx format doesn't work, at least with the two guys who tried it last year. Yesterday I found a program called GPS TrackMaker, and it converts from gpx to Magellan's upt and log formats but I don't have anybody right now to try it on.

Thanks for any help coming my way... :)
GPSBabel, quite a few threads and posts on it and how to make it work - here's the GPSBabel compatibility matrix
Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #35
Turned-Worm
NO LIMITS

Oddometer: 17
Large Screen gps

Yeah, I know that this is a bike forum, but .......
I need a weatherproof gps unit with a 7 inch or better color screen, large enough to position-follow topo maps at a glance. And I need to be able to adapt the National Geographic Topo map as my base. (In case you REALLY need to know, it will be strapped to my thigh for flying my ultralight trike, where a glance is all you get. Double duty will be on the GS when out of site of home).
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worm
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 AM   #36
PhilSpace OP
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Go to the boat store.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #37
geode

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turned-Worm
Yeah, I know that this is a bike forum, but .......
I need a weatherproof gps unit with a 7 inch or better color screen, large enough to position-follow topo maps at a glance. And I need to be able to adapt the National Geographic Topo map as my base. (In case you REALLY need to know, it will be strapped to my thigh for flying my ultralight trike, where a glance is all you get. Double duty will be on the GS when out of site of home).
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worm
Raytheon makes a nice 7" waterproof marine display ... can input either their proprietary data language or input NMEA 0183 language ... but the display is kinda pricy, and it's not as light as you might wish.

Your maps will have to be on the correct style data card for whichever display style you chose.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #38
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Hi folks. I'm looking for a "read-back for possible correction", which means, I think I know something and I'd like you to confirm it or tell me I've got it all wrong.

OK, so the tentative decision is that I can have these things from a Garmin 2720.

Requirement:
  • Waterproof
  • Can do off-road routing
  • Reasonable refresh/reroute rate (a minute on the side of the road is OK with me).
  • Updatable maps (are any NOT like this...)(meaning you can reload them when they're outdated)
  • Load at least 1 day of waypoints at a time (can you just load them from the USB port from a data stick?)
  • Can avoid highways and do back roads as preferred roads without loading a preset route
  • Audio line out
Anything else you think is non-negotiable?

If you think, "If you're going to spend $150, you might as well spend 350 then say so. I'm really on the fence about this--but I'm trying to keep the cost down.

I've talked about this on a a thread with a few folks, but I'm beginning to understand more...and refining my requirements.

Thanks all.

-Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #39
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
OK, so the tentative decision is that I can have these things from a Garmin 2720.

Requirement:
  • Waterproof
  • Can do off-road routing
  • Reasonable refresh/reroute rate (a minute on the side of the road is OK with me).
  • Updatable maps (are any NOT like this...)(meaning you can reload them when they're outdated)
  • Load at least 1 day of waypoints at a time (can you just load them from the USB port from a data stick?)
  • Can avoid highways and do back roads as preferred roads without loading a preset route
  • Audio line out
Anything else you think is non-negotiable?
One of the problems with noobs to GPS is you don't know the Garmin lingo. I don't know anything firsthand about the 2720 (I have a 60Cx) but here's what I can gather from Garmin's web site:

Waterproof to IPX7 standard, so yes

What do you mean by "off road routing"? That actually means a route which is a direct line between waypoints, not following roads. I'm not sure it can even do this. If you mean tracks, it doesn't have much capability, looks like only 2000-point active log and no saved tracks. For reference, the 60CX has a 10,000-point active log and 20 saved tracks of up to 500 points each.

Refresh and reroute (recalculate?) are 2 different things. Refresh is how fast the screen updates and if you mean "recalculate" that's how fast it will recalculate a route if you get off of it. I don't know the answers there, although it says it has "fast off-route and detour recalculation".

I assume you can update the maps when they are outdated, but be aware you will have to pay for the updates. Free updates are only for the "Mapsource" interface program software.

Again, not sure what you mean by "Load at least 1 day of waypoints at a time", it will hold 2000 waypoints. That should be enough for many many days of traveling. In what way do you think you are going to use these waypoints? You can't just load waypoints from a memory stick though, you have to use Mapsource to do it.

Yes it can "avoid highways".

Not sure on the audio line out. It actually says "no Headphone jack/audio line-out" in the specs but then it says it comes with an "external speaker with 12v adapter cable".

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...387#featureTab

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...p2720_spec.pdf
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 11-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #40
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
One of the problems with noobs to GPS is you don't know the Garmin lingo. I don't know anything firsthand about the 2720 (I have a 60Cx) but here's what I can gather from Garmin's web site:

Waterproof to IPX7 standard, so yes

What do you mean by "off road routing"? That actually means a route which is a direct line between waypoints, not following roads. I'm not sure it can even do this. If you mean tracks, it doesn't have much capability, looks like only 2000-point active log and no saved tracks. For reference, the 60CX has a 10,000-point active log and 20 saved tracks of up to 500 points each.Refresh and reroute (recalculate?) are 2 different things. Refresh is how fast the screen updates and if you mean "recalculate" that's how fast it will recalculate a route if you get off of it. I don't know the answers there, although it says it has "fast off-route and detour recalculation".

I assume you can update the maps when they are outdated, but be aware you will have to pay for the updates. Free updates are only for the "Mapsource" interface program software.Again, not sure what you mean by "Load at least 1 day of waypoints at a time", it will hold 2000 waypoints. That should be enough for many many days of traveling. In what way do you think you are going to use these waypoints? You can't just load waypoints from a memory stick though, you have to use Mapsource to do it. Yes it can "avoid highways".
Not sure on the audio line out. It actually says "no Headphone jack/audio line-out" in the specs but then it says it comes with an "external speaker with 12v adapter cable".https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...387#featureTab https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/as...p2720_spec.pdf
Thank you. I've scoured that site as well. Problem is that there are aftermarket methods common to the market, but not me. I found out after my post that the cycoactive offers a audio out from the speaker port--just terminates in a jack.

I guess boiling it down after that: Would it do road warrior work as well as the occasional dual sport event (that's what I mean by off-road)?

As long as 2000 waypoints doesn't mean 2000 "turns" (you know how many actual instructions can get programmed is more than how many destinations), then that is a lot.

And gotcha on the mapsource to transfer data. It just means that I'd have to carry my laptop if I want to program new trips.

I want to make sure that I talk this out enough that I don't regret not buying the 450 or 550. I could afford it, but it'd hurt.

Thanks for the time you took to write a response. I'm n00b to commercial GPS...so it's the undiscovered country in some ways and not in others. Nothing can be worse than a PLGR (mil GPS) IMO.

Thanks again.

-Bill
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #41
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriswf
I guess boiling it down after that: Would it do road warrior work as well as the occasional dual sport event (that's what I mean by off-road)?

As long as 2000 waypoints doesn't mean 2000 "turns" (you know how many actual instructions can get programmed is more than how many destinations), then that is a lot.

And gotcha on the mapsource to transfer data. It just means that I'd have to carry my laptop if I want to program new trips.

-Bill
Well, most dual sport events are going to provide you with multiple tracks (not routes) that may be different colors to designate different loops. You won't be able to load such tracks to the 2720, although you *could* combine the tracks and load them into the active log as long as you didn't have more than 2000 points total. This is a work-around though, and not optimal by any means. You would lose the track coloring too.

2000 waypoints doesn't mean 2000 turns. It says it will take up to 50 routes. Not sure what the 2720 limits are for points in a route. The 60Cx has a limit of 50 per route, but it's not really a street unit. And 50 "points" doesn't mean 50 turns either, just 50 that you specifically designate. The autorouting will generate it's own turns to get you between your points.

You *can* do routing in the GPS, but it will be a PITA. I've actually never done it, I just plan routes out ahead of time on the computer and load them up. If it's not a big deal to carry a laptop then that certainly is the best option IMHO.

tbirdsp screwed with this post 11-12-2008 at 12:37 PM
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #42
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
Well, most dual sport events are going to provide you with multiple tracks (not routes) that may be different colors to designate different loops. You won't be able to load such tracks to the 2720, although you *could* combine the tracks and load them into the active log as long as you didn't have more than 2000 points total. This is a work-around though, and not optimal by any means. You would lose the track coloring too.

2000 waypoints doesn't mean 2000 turns. It says it will take up to 50 routes. Not sure what the 2720 limits are for points in a route. The 60Cx has a limit of 50 per route, but it's not really a street unit. And 50 "points" doesn't mean 50 turns either, just 50 that you specifically designate. The autorouting will generate it's own turns to get you between your points.

You *can* do routing in the GPS, but it will be a PITA. I've actually never done it, I just plan routes out ahead of time on the computer and load them up. If it's not a big deal to carry a laptop then that certainly is the best option IMHO.
Thanks. I might as well get a handheld I think sometimes...or nothing.

Shit, I've made it more than 20 years without it and seen some great stuff.

Thanks for your help--I'm just going to file it for now. I still have 7 months before I'm home. Need to stop thinking about all this, and wait. But...not much else to do except plan and anticipate two wheeled travel.

I'm going to just smash myself in the head with a mallet, 'cause it feels so good when I stop.

Seriously, your response puts my e-bay surfing on hold. I'm grateful.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #43
tbirdsp
REMF

No problem, and keep your head down over there

I only got to go to cushy places like Saudi Arabia and Qatar, plus nobody was shooting at me

Hence my ADV rating of Rear Echelon Mutha F@#$er

Mike S., MSgt (ret) USAF
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #44
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Quote:
No problem, and keep your head down over there

I only got to go to cushy places like Saudi Arabia and Qatar, plus nobody was shooting at me

Hence my ADV rating of Rear Echelon Mutha F@#$er

Mike S., MSgt (ret) USAF
LOL, I've got it pretty good here. Dan-C called me a REMF tonight...I said, "hey, I'm a has-been, not a REMF".

Safe is good when you're not 20, or even 30...or...oh well.

This GPS thing..."if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice". For now. Maybe, save up and wait.

Best,

-B
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #45
gketell
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Not sure on the audio line out. It actually says "no Headphone jack/audio line-out" in the specs but then it says it comes with an "external speaker with 12v adapter cable".
The 12v cigar-lighter power plug has a crappy speaker built into it. That is the only speaker system it supports. You could probably hack the cable and make a separate 12v and speaker connectors if you were really industrious.

GK
Closed Thread