k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #48
Trip
Unkempt

Oddometer: 31,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
RT gets 45 MPG. I flip off every Prius I pass

And they didn't realize you were just being "friendly" ??
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #49
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
And they didn't realize you were just being "friendly" ??
They just thoutght he meant "We're number one!"
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #50
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,330
What's a Civic Going for these days??? My sister bought an EX civic in 02 for ~$15K; the new Civic looks even better and gets 40mpg Hwy, why not get the Civic over a Fit? I imagine the Civic has a lot more motor for better hwy travel.

I own a 1.6L Miata and that motor is a lot tougher than the Scion motors and It's no fun at all on the highway for any lenght of time or highspeeds (it's geared a little higher than a scion though). I don't know too much about the Fit but I imagine it's a lot like those Scions. My Merc will cruise the higway all day at only slightly less MPG than the Miata and it has almost 2x the motor. Guess it depends on your commuting needs if it's HWY I image REAL World MPG in a little motor Revving 4-5K RPM will not be nearly as good as anticipate or even close to the window sticker. Since the roads are alot cleaner now I take the bike to work as much as possible 50mpg !!!

Here's a thought; check out the Pontiac Vibe. It's the Toyota Corolla Matrix with a Pontiac Badge Slapped on it. No clue what the MPG is but I image it's not bad, pretty functional vehicle and probably pretty heavily Discounted and Rebated from GM. Lots of Folks out there not giving the Vehicle a second look 'cause it's "GM Junk" but it's really not.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #51
popsicle
Adventurererer

Oddometer: 165
the pontiac vibe is well, a pontiac. less fit and finish. things will start breaking by 100K.

civic gasoline has a 30/38 EPA, hybrid has better but costs a lot more.
popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #52
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
The only thing with these little cars is they just don't ride like a big car and you don't have as much room. Having said that, I may consider one...gas is gas ya know, but I'd much rather have a Crown Vic over a Fit...just gotta go with the times. I'm thinking about maybe a Volvo S40 or maybe a Mazda 5...we'll probably get one next week or so but I need room for four folks and all their junk (vacations, family stuff).
Old 05-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #53
popsicle
Adventurererer

have you test driven a volvo 40 series? they are SMALL

mazda would be a better choice all around (size, overall cost of ownership, resale)
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #54
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle
have you test driven a volvo 40 series? they are SMALL

mazda would be a better choice all around (size, overall cost of ownership, resale)
I tend to agree...but I'm taking the wife next week and let her look at what she wants...I told her I was rather ambivalent long as it got decent gas mileage, had decent ratings, and didn't cost a ton.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #55
popsicle
Adventurererer

for the price of a 40 you can get a mazda 6, similar performance and features, similar safety. volvo isn't on top of the game as far as build quality goes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 AM   #56
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle
for the price of a 40 you can get a mazda 6, similar performance and features, similar safety. volvo isn't on top of the game as far as build quality goes
I'm looking at the Mazda 6 too...believe it or not...the wife likes that little Dodge Caliber...but I think it might be too small.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:19 AM   #57
popsicle
Adventurererer

caliber is much smaller. going for the civic SI market. stick with the mazda. you will not be disappointed
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 AM   #58
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
The only thing with these little cars is they just don't ride like a big car and you don't have as much room. Having said that, I may consider one...gas is gas ya know, but I'd much rather have a Crown Vic over a Fit...just gotta go with the times. I'm thinking about maybe a Volvo S40 or maybe a Mazda 5...we'll probably get one next week or so but I need room for four folks and all their junk (vacations, family stuff).
They claim they seat 5, but I would not put 5 adults in a fit, they wont fit worth a shit. heh. 3 adults and all the stuff that goes with it would work good.
I am going to another dealer to check on their stock. The first dealer had one standard fit, with the manual tranny and since I drive an 18 speed truck all day, I am done shifting when I leave work. ALL the other were sold, including the one that got my attention in the showroom. I was all over it like I bought it and was ready to pick it up. I was flipping levers, moving seats around, I had all the doors, hood and hatch open, and then he says it was sold. The only problem is that it can't tow. I asked the dealer about a hitch and he went to check on it. Came back about 10 minutes later and said "They don't recomend it" So much for my annual trip cross country with my XRL in tow...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 AM   #59
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
They claim they seat 5, but I would not put 5 adults in a fit, they wont fit worth a shit. heh. 3 adults and all the stuff that goes with it would work good.
I am going to another dealer to check on their stock. The first dealer had one standard fit, with the manual tranny and since I drive an 18 speed truck all day, I am done shifting when I leave work. ALL the other were sold, including the one that got my attention in the showroom. I was all over it like I bought it and was ready to pick it up. I was flipping levers, moving seats around, I had all the doors, hood and hatch open, and then he says it was sold. The only problem is that it can't tow. I asked the dealer about a hitch and he went to check on it. Came back about 10 minutes later and said "They don't recomend it" So much for my annual trip cross country with my XRL in tow...
In that regard you might be better off with a Honda CRV or an Element...I believe they can tow light cargo.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 AM   #60
popsicle
Adventurererer

most towing capacities are pretty conservative, any small to midsize car can tow 1000lbs without much of a problem. that should be fine for a motorcycle and trailer

shit, my focus can tow 1000lbs, a fit should be able to do 1000

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: