ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.71 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #61
rallybug
Local Yokel
 
rallybug's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: North Salt Lake, UT
Oddometer: 8,099
Weird - a Jazz (Fit over here) is rated as a maximum 450kg (990lb) unbraked, 1000kg (2200lb) braked for trailers, although as the towing specialists say 85% of kerb weight is maximum you should tow, that drops to 860kg (1900lb).
__________________
Ben

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 AM   #62
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old
 
slowbike smallpenis's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: just above Tasmania
Oddometer: 19,424
Jazz - here. They seem to sell an awful lot of them. been down here for a few years now, 5 at least
__________________
Im afraid its beyond me
slowbike smallpenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #63
Daniii
geezer
 
Daniii's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Plano Tx
Oddometer: 22,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by komet
In that regard you might be better off with a Honda CRV or an Element...I believe they can tow light cargo.
I have towed my MC on a Kendon Trailer several thousand miles with my Element, sleeping in the back. Averaged 23 mpg towing. Better mileage if the AC is off.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #64
Daniii
geezer
 
Daniii's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Plano Tx
Oddometer: 22,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Fuel mileage.
It would have been nice to have a way for the front seat to fold down and the back seats to fold down and all end up at the same level. That would make it a mini-RV, without the amenities.
Element:
Take the headrests off and they do fold flatish together. But not flat enough! The dip in the front seat, and slight elevation of the rear makes a horizontal, but not flat surface. Maybe one could put an air mattreess on top, but its easier to put one in the rear with the rear seats folded up, front all the way forward. Get a regular mattress - the queen is too wide. The split flip up tail gate is nice, and the optional tent ("cabana" ) works reasonably well, except in high winds.
The Element will hold more stuff than our Explorer, because its a couple feet taller inside, although not quite as long.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 AM   #65
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybug
Weird - a Jazz (Fit over here) is rated as a maximum 450kg (990lb) unbraked, 1000kg (2200lb) braked for trailers, although as the towing specialists say 85% of kerb weight is maximum you should tow, that drops to 860kg (1900lb).

Yeah, but I've seen you crazy europeans towing shit with ford escorts that an american wouldn't tow with anything less than a 1/2 ton truck.

Small cars always seem to have higher towing ratings outside of the states.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 AM   #66
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Flyover State
Oddometer: 32,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Yeah, but I've seen you crazy europeans towing shit with ford escorts that an american wouldn't tow with anything less than a 1/2 ton truck.
That's because they don't try driving at 85mph while towing.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #67
MineMapper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: TS16, UK
Oddometer: 570
Photog, don't sign for the Scion till you look at the Fit. I checked one over at the Honda dealer last week, and it gives the Xb a serious run for the money. There's something that isn't quite balanced about the front exterior dimensions (to me, anyway), but when you're comparing it to the toaster, that won't matter too much.

Honda is going to sell a lot of these this year. The dealer I went to had sold 9 of their initial 10, and the last one was in the showroom with $1k worth of pin-striping and other dealer BS on it. I was one of 3 people crawling all over it.
MineMapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:04 AM   #68
patch29
Surly Rider
 
patch29's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii
Element:
Take the headrests off and they do fold flatish together. But not flat enough! The dip in the front seat, and slight elevation of the rear makes a horizontal, but not flat surface. Maybe one could put an air mattreess on top, but its easier to put one in the rear with the rear seats folded up, front all the way forward. Get a regular mattress - the queen is too wide. The split flip up tail gate is nice, and the optional tent ("cabana" ) works reasonably well, except in high winds.
The Element will hold more stuff than our Explorer, because its a couple feet taller inside, although not quite as long.

I was referring to the Fit not being flat from front to back. The Element is not bad, I have seen how the seats lay down, but not sure I could sleep with those bumps. One could always just sleep on the floor in the E.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 AM   #69
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna
 
Photog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Cackalacky
Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineMapper
Photog, don't sign for the Scion till you look at the Fit. I checked one over at the Honda dealer last week, and it gives the Xb a serious run for the money. There's something that isn't quite balanced about the front exterior dimensions (to me, anyway), but when you're comparing it to the toaster, that won't matter too much.

Honda is going to sell a lot of these this year. The dealer I went to had sold 9 of their initial 10, and the last one was in the showroom with $1k worth of pin-striping and other dealer BS on it. I was one of 3 people crawling all over it.
I just made a few phone calls to local dealerships to find one. Hoping for a call back so we can test drive one this am.

I'm thinking the Fit might be the car for SWMBO. I'm still sold on the Scion for myself just because I like 'em so much, but I want SWMBO in the safest small beast I can find and I like that the Fit/Sport comes with side airbags. We'd have to special order a Scion Xa from Japan to get that.

She's a lot more patient than I am about car buying. I tend to get all worked up and ready to buy (using her money of course). She's got the right approach--she'll order one and deal with the wait rather than get one that's not the right spec or has been tarted up with dealer crap. She's the smart one in the family.

Funny that my major complaint about the cars available have been solved by both the Scion and the Fit, apparently. I wanted a cheap, good, fun car (Scion) and I also lamented the fact that the Civic was now priced out of the entry-level runabout category. Looks like the Fit will fill that niche now.
__________________
Only an XR1200 owner knows why Cthulhu hangs its head out a car window.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #70
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I'm still sold on the Scion for myself just because I like 'em so much, but I want SWMBO in the safest small beast I can find and I like that the Fit/Sport comes with side airbags.
and side curtain airbags... the safety features list is quite long for an entry level car...

impressive...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #71
BoHunkus
Sho 'nuff
 
BoHunkus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Taxsylvania
Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
Jazz - here. They seem to sell an awful lot of them. been down here for a few years now, 5 at least
Can you fit a .50 cal. Barrett in one of those? With room for ammo cans?
__________________
It usually runs fine...
BoHunkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:24 AM   #72
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineMapper
Photog, don't sign for the Scion till you look at the Fit. I

And I sell Scions.
Last week I sold a guy a new FJ Cruiser, and he had just picked up his dark Grey Fit Sport. I thought it was pretty cool.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #73
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence
 
HarveyMushman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Virginia, USA
Oddometer: 16,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
I took the bike down to the local Honda dealer to look at the CRV's. They have better mpg's then my S-10 PU, all wheel drive and I could sleep in the back on a road trip.

Then I saw the FIT. A new model, Small, very good MPG's, 31/37 and I could also sleep in the back on a road trip. I was impressed, but mostly with the MPG figures and the price. 16,000! for the sport model, and 14,000 for the standard model.

Does anyone have one or have you gone to look at them? What do you think and what have you heard about them?
Is your S-10 paid for, or financed? You'd have to get a lot better mpg than 31/37 to overcome the cost of a new car.
__________________
Tim

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #74
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..
 
Infracaninophile's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: New England, USA
Oddometer: 7,520
A few people have pointed this out, but not much discussion about:

1. You want to get a new car
2. You are trying to get an economic gas sipping vehicle that is reliable
3. Gas prices are heading to $3.50 a gallon soon (my guess).

Your choices are:

#1. New econobox of some sort that gets super great mileage.
#2. Hybrid car that gets good mileage buy you pay a premium.

#3. 3-4 year old used car that gets pretty good mileage but is already well
depreciated.


Are you trying to save money or have a new car?

We purchased a 4 year old (well, 3 3/4 years old) 2002 Honda Accord EX fully loaded two months ago for $14,500. It had < 15K miles on it. Looked just like a new car. It get's 27 around town and 31 highway out of it's 2.3L 4-cylinder VTEC engine.

I'll let RocketJohn do the math (math is hard), but how many miles would you have to drive you 2006 Econobox getting 34-36MPG to recoup the cost of purchasing a new car that's going to decline in value rather quickly. Especially if the vehicle is in the 20-25K range new out the door?

My guess, for the average driver? Never. I am calculating the whole, say, 5 year ownership experience. Purchase price, sale price, insurance, tags, gas mileage, etc..

We don't always do it, but the real value is in 3-4 year old cars with very low miles. Drive the shit out of them, sell them in 3+ years, and only eat a few K's in depreciation.


Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #75
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur
 
Mike Butt's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Looking west
Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
The Fit Sport is $15720 MSRP with destination... the 5 speed...

with $1000 down at 8% over 60 months your payment SHOULD be $320/mo. total payments over 60 months equal $19250.00...

sounds like some dealer is trying to charge $3k over MSRP...

There were some add-ons, auto trans, taxes, fees, ect. The mark-up was about $600.
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014