Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #76
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,103
The problem with southern Cal is that mortgages are $2k/month, so a $400 car payment falls into the noise.

I imagine you could lease a pretty nice 330i for that kind of money with zero down.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #77
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile

We don't always do it, but the real value is in 3-4 year old cars with very low miles. Drive the shit out of them, sell them in 3+ years, and only eat a few K's in depreciation.

Tom

Blah blah blah transportation appliance blah blah depreciation blah blah blah.

I can't hear it when practical people talk.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:23 AM   #78
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
#3. 3-4 year old used car that gets pretty good mileage but is already well
depreciated.

We purchased a 4 year old (well, 3 3/4 years old) 2002 Honda Accord EX fully loaded two months ago for $14,500. It had < 15K miles on it. Looked just like a new car. It get's 27 around town and 31 highway out of it's 2.3L 4-cylinder VTEC engine.

We don't always do it, but the real value is in 3-4 year old cars with very low miles. Drive the shit out of them, sell them in 3+ years, and only eat a few K's in depreciation.
I bought afully loaded '01 Accord EX 5spd in late '04 with 27k on the clock. Now has about 50k on it, runs like a top, no unscheduled maintenance, sortof fun to drive with a 5spd, and it feels more expensive than it is. I'll probably drive it forever.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #79
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,316
If the average person drives 15,000 miles / year:

The difference at $3.50 / gallon between 35mpg and 25mpg is $50/mo.
Immaterial for most households...

It gets way more material the more the SUV/Truck guzzles:

$167/mo. more expensive if that vehicle is only getting 15mpg...
$238/mo. more at $5/gallon...

The new car scenario only begins to cost marginally more the longer you own it... like way over 5 years... I may have something on this...let me dig...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 AM   #80
used2jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Hit the Scion dealerships locally today to pick out the one we're gonna get tomorrow. They were sold out of damn near everything, and particularly the model/colors we were looking for. SHIT. 30-120 day wait to get one special ordered from Japan with side curtain airbags. . SHIT. Xb's are flying off the lots, too. ZERO Xa's at two local dealerships.

It'll be interesting to see how Honda hits that market. I've had my heart set on the scion for a year but if they're unobtainium, we're off to the Honda lot.
Just checked the mpg on my xB (stick) and it was a combined 36 and change. The sticker says 31-34. Yeahboy! Been above sticker since I bought it. Do it, you'll like it.

Yup, all the air will come out and she'll fly around the room and smack the wall. - kobudo28
used2jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #81
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
I bought afully loaded '01 Accord EX 5spd in late '04 with 27k on the clock. Now has about 50k on it, runs like a top, no unscheduled maintenance, sortof fun to drive with a 5spd, and it feels more expensive than it is. I'll probably drive it forever.
Right on. Driving a 4 year old Honda Accord, which holds 4-5 people, has a big trunk, is stone reliable, etc.. is, IMHO, more practical than driving a new 2006 Shitbox model that will drop 30-40% in value in 3-4 years.

People just don't tend to look at the whole picture?

1. Cost of the new vehicle.
2. Estimated value of vehicle if sold/trade in, in say 3-5 years. MOST people do not keep cars longer than 3-5 years. Most, but not all.
3. Gas costs during that period.
4. Insurance costs.
5. Maintenance costs: tires, battery, servicing for used cars especially.
6. Tags/Registration: States like Colorado charge a lot more per year for new cars for registration and taxes. Usually after a vehicle is 3-4 years old the rates have gone down by 60-70%.
7. Is the car practical? Fun? Does what you need? Or, just a cheap piece of shit that gets good mileage but can't haul anything?

T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 05-01-2006 at 09:22 AM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #82
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29

I went to the Atlanta Auto show last night. The Fit is nice. I messed around with the seats for a minute. I don't know if I could sleep comfortably in it.
You're not supposed to sleep while you're driving, dummy.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #83
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

The Fit is only $15k...

2. Estimated value of vehicle if sold/trade in in say 3-5 years. MOST people do not keep cars longer than 3-5 years. Most, but not all.

I agree with that for non-motorcyclists...

3. Gas costs during that period.

if the MPG is within 10mpg its immaterial

4. Insurance costs.

Will be less with a less expensive car

5. Maintenance costs: tires, battery, servicing for used cars especially.

Higher on used due to mileage

6. Tags/Registration: States like Colorado charge a lot more per year for new cars for registration and taxes. Usually after a vehicle is 3-4 years old the rates have gone done by 60-70%.

Unless the car is $15k new and then it should be the same since its a calculation

7. Is the car practical? Fun? Does what you need? Or, just a cheap piece of shit that gets good mileage but can't haul anything?

I highly doubt the Scions or Honda Fit/Civics are shit... just different configs... some people need more than a sedan... Why doesn't Honda build the Accord wagon anymore? b/c everyone wants Pilots, CRVs, Elements, Ridgelines...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #84
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn

[snip]

I highly doubt the Scions or Honda Fit/Civics are shit... just different configs... some people need more than a sedan... Why doesn't Honda build the Accord wagon anymore? b/c everyone wants Pilots, CRVs, Elements, Ridgelines...
RJ:

Didn't mean to give the impression that any specific car is a shitbox. Honda's, Toyota's, etc.. are all well made. But I wasn't directing my comments towards the Honda FIT...

But have neighbors who traded in big SUV's that were 1-2-3 years old, took a HUGE, and I mean FUCKING huge depreciation hit, and bought a KIA to save money on gas. Their commute was about 20 miles RT per day. I don't know the numbers but my guess is they took a $7-12K hit on their SUV with low miles that was only 1-2 years old. You can buy a shit load of gas for that much.

That is why Civics and Honda's and Toyota's in general are worth the $$. You can drive them for years and still sell them for a high % of the original price with little to no maintenance or failures. They hold their values and the real 5 year cost is a lot less than what you'd expect.

Try that with a Ford, Chevy, or other American cars.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 AM   #85
Willyz
Grasshoppa.....

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
"Stop talkin' and start chalkin'"

BK
PinBoy
Willyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #86
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Quote:
RJ:

Didn't mean to give the impression that any specific car is a shitbox. Honda's, Toyota's, etc.. are all well made. But I wasn't directing my comments towards the Honda FIT...

But have neighbors who traded in big SUV's that were 1-2-3 years old, took a HUGE, and I mean FUCKING huge depreciation hit, and bought a KIA to save money on gas. Their commute was about 20 miles RT per day. I don't know the numbers but my guess is they took a $7-12K hit on their SUV with low miles that was only 1-2 years old. You can buy a shit load of gas for that much.

That is why Civics and Honda's and Toyota's in general are worth the $$. You can drive them for years and still sell them for a high % of the original price with little to no maintenance or failures. They hold their values and the real 5 year cost is a lot less than what you'd expect.

Try that with a Ford, Chevy, or other American cars.

T.
Gotcha...

I plan on keeping 1 big vehicle in the stable for runnin' errands and moving dogs, b/c my commute is short and I ride a bike half the time and 1/4 of the time carpool with a neighbor that works at the same place...

Once it goes over $5/gallon things begin to start taking their toll...

I agree with you Tom, just wanted to clarify some ideas...

My wife's commute will be shrinking from 30miles/day to 10 miles/day... and we got her a scooter, b/c she wanted one for fun... I don't have the heart to tell her the crazy amount of time it will take to pay for itself via gas savings (5 years) unless gas prices go up to $8/gallon...

If she keeps finding teaching gigs this close to our house, we'll never wear cars out...
Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #87
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
You're not supposed to sleep while you're driving, dummy.

Fitz, is that you? We miss Fitz. Thanks for being there for him Rider.

Rider, think of it as a tent on wheels, no need to set it up or the poor man's RV.

I usually like to sleep while the chauffeur drives anyway you ninny.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #88
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
I took the bike down to the local Honda dealer to look at the CRV's. They have better mpg's then my S-10 PU, all wheel drive and I could sleep in the back on a road trip.

Then I saw the FIT. A new model, Small, very good MPG's, 31/37 and I could also sleep in the back on a road trip. I was impressed, but mostly with the MPG figures and the price. 16,000! for the sport model, and 14,000 for the standard model.

Does anyone have one or have you gone to look at them? What do you think and what have you heard about them?
I have a friend who sleeps in his car. It always smells like ass in there...

Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #89
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Fitz, is that you? We miss Fitz. Thanks for being there for him Rider.

Rider, think of it as a tent on wheels, no need to set it up or the poor man's RV.

I usually like to sleep while the chauffeur drives anyway you ninny.

I saw the Fit at the dealer last week when I picked up my new wheels.
I thought it was damned impressive for the price.
My brother drove one and loved it.
I think it's cool ... even if a little small for the likes of me.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #90
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,998
car

I will wait for BMW to import a 3 or 5 series DIESEL with a 6 speed manual.
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: