Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #91
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
The problem with southern Cal is that mortgages are $2k/month, so a $400 car payment falls into the noise.

I imagine you could lease a pretty nice 330i for that kind of money with zero down.

Leasing? Yeah, probably.

We leased a Miata. Never again.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #92
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Nobody in the right mind argues that a new car purchase is a good financial move. Buying a new car is probably one of the worst financial decisions you can make. If a person is already planning on buying a new car, then a few extra MPGs is a good thing.

All of that said, I have a new 2007 Camry on order.

Regarding the Fit/Scion debate...
If you are planning on taking one on a road trip of any length, I would seriously consider taking an extended trip on the highway. The stock wheels/suspension on these do not exactly inspire confidence on the highway. A friend of mine has a new xB. He swapped the tires for something bigger and wider and then installed some Eibach springs to lower it 1.5" all the way around. It is much better on the highway now. He also says he is averaging 36mpg in mixed driving with an extremely heavy foot and a manual transmission.

Additionally, Nissan is coming out with another in the xB/Fit size. The Versa.

http://www.nissanusa.com/versa/
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:24 AM   #93
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha
Welcome to age 50, ya geezer.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #94
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
The problem with southern Cal is that mortgages are $2k/month, so a $400 car payment falls into the noise.

I imagine you could lease a pretty nice 330i for that kind of money with zero down.
I just realized that I have bikes that carry more fuel than the Fit.
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #95
koncha

Quote:
Welcome to age 50, ya geezer.
I did get the SE.

And I am only 30.

With the hairline of a 50 year old.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #96
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
Quote:
Nobody in the right mind argues that a new car purchase is a good financial move. Buying a new car is probably one of the worst financial decisions you can make. If a person is already planning on buying a new car, then a few extra MPGs is a good thing.

Regarding the Fit/Scion debate...
If you are planning on taking one on a road trip of any length, I would seriously consider taking an extended trip on the highway. The stock wheels/suspension on these do not exactly inspire confidence on the highway. A friend of mine has a new xB. He swapped the tires for something bigger and wider and then installed some Eibach springs to lower it 1.5" all the way around. It is much better on the highway now. He also says he is averaging 36mpg in mixed driving with an extremely heavy foot and a manual transmission.

Additionally, Nissan is coming out with another in the xB/Fit size. The Versa.

http://www.nissanusa.com/versa/

not very stylish... odd for Nissan...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #97
jdiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
not very stylish... odd for Nissan...
Its not a Nissan. Its a worked over Renault Clio/Modus, with a little Megane thrown in.

Jon
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #98
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,967
Is it just me? It seems like you get a lot more for your money and MPG damn near as good with a Civic. You pay a thousand or two more, but it seems like it would be worth it for the quieter, more stable ride. My impression is you pay a lot and give up a lot for that extra 2 mpg.
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #99
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
Is it just me? It seems like you get a lot more for your money and MPG damn near as good with a Civic. You pay a thousand or two more, but it seems like it would be worth it for the quieter, more stable ride. My impression is you pay a lot and give up a lot for that extra 2 mpg.
A 2006 Civic LX is selling new for $19k locally. They have added a $1000 'Protection Plan A' onto the sticker. I asked my salesman (Toyota and Honda are the same dealer) what that meant. His reply 'Protect our bottom line: Plan A'.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #100
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,252
Finally located a Fit Sport...the only one in Raleigh. It's a demo and not for sale...which is good, otherwise we wouldn't have had a chance to drive one and we'd have an Xb in the driveway right now since today was Scion Day.

As far as pricepoint goes, it has the Scion beat (in the Sport edition). It's (fuck)loaded with darn near everything you can throw at it--cruise, fog lights, alloys, CD, side curtain airbags, yadda yadda. It has interesting cargo space--the back seats fold so that you have either a flat cargo space or can access the floorboards for more height. If you're looking at a Scion, consider it a cross between an Xa and Xb with a little bit of Element thrown in. There's a tad of liftover height on the hatch but once you get past that, with the seats folded flat, it's got the same cargo space essentially as the Xb.

Mechanically, it's a Honda...nice fit and finish everywhere, much nicer radio design than Scion (MUCH!), standard layout of nice gauges, attractive interior overall. The paddle shifter is slick. It was a short test ride, but the power was certainly adequate. Handling was fine. I thought the ride was a bit more busy and more harsh than the Xb.

Outside, it's nice. Typical fit and finish.

IOW, typical honda...well thought-out, ergos were great, very appliance-like in terms of nothing out-of-place, probably a great value over the long run, and I'd give it the thumbs-up for being the front-runner in the high-mpg division.

The weird part is that I can't get really excited about it. That's another Honda quirk, from my past experience--they're GREAT cars but they tend to lack that little bit of edginess or endearing rough-around-the-edges qualities. I suppose I should've outgrown that by now, but I haven't. And that's why the Scion still appeals to me; there's something just a little bit funky and fun about it. However, dollar for dollar, the Fit is a no-brainer. For my car, the Scion fits...for SWMBO's car, I think the Fit gets the nod: nice, all amenities, side curtain airbags, and good mpg.

We'll probably end up with one--we finally found one about 1.5 hours away that'll be in on Thursday...otherwise it's a 30 day wait.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM   #101
koncha

Quote:
Its not a Nissan. Its a worked over Renault Clio/Modus, with a little Megane thrown in.

Jon
Yeah.

This is Nissan's foray into the waters of badge-engineering. It works so well for GM and Ford, they thought they would give it a try.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:20 AM   #102
jdiaz

Quote:
This is Nissan's foray into the waters of badge-engineering. It works so well for GM and Ford, they thought they would give it a try.
It could work. A co-worker of mine in Italy had a new Megane last year, and it was a damn nice car. And I rented a Scenic in France in January, and that thing was minivan-sized inside and loved cruising fast.

Jon
Old 05-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #103
koncha

Quote:
It could work. A co-worker of mine in Italy had a new Megane last year, and it was a damn nice car. And I rented a Scenic in France in January, and that thing was minivan-sized inside and loved cruising fast.

Jon
If someone wanted to badge engineer a second-tier European car, why couldn't it have been the Alfa Romeo 159?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #104
jdiaz

Quote:
If someone wanted to badge engineer a second-tier European car, why couldn't it have been the Alfa Romeo 159?
Unfortunately, by all accounts the 159 is not as nice as the old 156.

We liked ours.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM   #105
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider

I saw the Fit at the dealer last week when I picked up my new wheels.
What did you get ?
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: