User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #106
USBYGS OP
Riding the World

Oddometer: 876
Let's talk about Bling!

Okay, so you always go into these things with some idea of what you want, what you need, and what you wish for. You always leave with a empty wallet (after several ATM trips), melted plastic (or denied), and a new attitude!

I don't know all the stuff everyone got but I will mention some cool stuff. Griz and Jim left with new footpegs. Lower, wider (toothy - jagged offroad style like on the HP2), and they pivot front and back. Jim's are spring loaded for the pivot and Griz's are not. We will compare notes later on that. Griz bailed on his Walmart rain coat and got a new one. Jim sent home his tourtech gadget mount for a new one that works better for him (I bet he would sell it). Ptero went with the LED strip for stop lights and some led turn signals.

Me, well, I think I won unless they are hiding stuff. LED taillight was a priority. Found an excellent one that does not do all the flashing/blinking and plugs into the light bulb socket. It is a plate with LEDs and LED for plate lights. It just slides onto the scew posts and its good to go. Very simple - very effective. Driving lights: been looking ever since Katoomer was riding behind me with the triangle of light. Do not really like Motolights. PIAA reps talked me into a small pair 1100xx. The rep was walking around the bike judging bikes (ours was there) and we got to talking. Mounting was an issue. Crash bars seemed the place but needed a mount. They have some cool ATV ones that would be great but I did not want that kind of mount. I have be pondering this for weeks on how to mount and I got to looking at the cross bar on the engine guards. A bolt on each side, the height I wanted. It was such a cool spot that the PIAA rep got his boss and camera and a light to mount on to take pictures. Anyway, I bit and now I have two more lights on the bike. I also ended up with horn. I mean a HORN! This mother will make you think a semi is coming up on you. Not for sure if it is an air horn, but it is a pretty big unit. So, look out.

I have a new shorter windscreen from zTech but that cost was just shipping (I tell ya later). Okay, I have left out some stuff I think, but you get the idea.

Take no prisoners - Leave no witnesses
USBYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:51 AM   #107
USBYGS OP
Riding the World

The bike show results are in!

So they had multiple divisions. We (Griz and USBYGS) entered. Me in Oilhead Function and Griz in oilhead Form. We definitely had the most people around our bikes. Griz especially. His category was for looks and we later found out that they took into account the detailed cleanliness. He took second to a plain, red, R1100RS. It was immaculate, though.

For function, it was not even close. I, mean, really. You have seen our bike loaded up. As the judges commented as they went over it "this works." We also won the two up distance award! So the adventure continues today as we head down the road with Griz and Reid. Jim a already almost home. So, that's all for now. You will have to wait to get the details in person or from the movie. We are headed back south and USBYGS will end up in Florida for a week before coming home. The bike goes to Germany! Later...

Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #108
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by USBYGS
So they had multiple divisions. We (Griz and USBYGS) entered. Me in Oilhead Function and Griz in oilhead Form. We definitely had the most people around our bikes. Griz especially. His category was for looks and we later found out that they took into account the detailed cleanliness. He took second to a plain, red, R1100RS. It was immaculate, though.

For function, it was not even close. I, mean, really. You have seen our bike loaded up. As the judges commented as they went over it "this works." We also won the two up distance award! So the adventure continues today as we head down the road with Griz and Reid. Jim a already almost home. So, that's all for now. You will have to wait to get the details in person or from the movie. We are headed back south and USBYGS will end up in Florida for a week before coming home. The bike goes to Germany! Later...

I HATE ALL OF YOU!
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #109
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
I HATE ALL OF YOU!
So Fite, How do you really feel?

You can tell Us. WE CARE.

TR
TRACTOR RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #110
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Just one question.

Why would you spend so much time on the computer when you're on a bike trip?
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #111
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quakertown?

You actually stopped in Quakertown....On RT 309...Thats home turf for akrider. Went to college in Bethlehem.

I know the feeling of "The Wall" Griz.......Glad you made that stop.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #112
USBYGS OP
Riding the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Just one question.

A sacrifice we make for all the vicarious adventure riders who could not be with us.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #113
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,698
Quote:
A sacrifice we make for all the vicarious adventure riders who could not be with us.

And I for one ......thank you.
Wish I was there!
Keep em coming. Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #114
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
Just one question.

Hay, Fred, SLITHER back under the bike you came out from under!

USBYGS is Having a good ride and sharing with other Gruvers and Dactyls.

TR
Old 07-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #115
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
You know this is the second thread he's had the need to fuck with
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACTOR RIDER
Hay, Fred, SLITHER back under the bike you came out from under!

USBYGS is Having a good ride and sharing with other Gruvers and Dactyls.

TR
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #116
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike
You know this is the second thread he's had the need to fuck with
That would be Fred the snake.

TR
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #117
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Vintage MC Days

After splitting from Jer n Gina we got to Lexington a day early. Last night we had the award winning dinner of the entire trip (unless ya count STOCKY'S!). Today Griz held up the bank for a few C's. Tomorrow - the Swap Meet.

We met a guy that hauls vintage cars and bikes in a semi with NORTON all over it. He is a buddy of Kenny Dreer (Greer?) of recent Norton fame/infamy. Griz might be needing his services to haul something back home after the swap meet! heh.

The WTF'06 tour continues...

Griz says 'me, too'

Ride Hard or Stay Home
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #118
USBYGS OP
Riding the World

quick update

We are headed to a high $$ resort in southern FL. to finish off the WTF tour for USBYGS. We will update you on the days prior to the "seperation" and the ride down here. I will say that we narrowly avoided a sheet of sheet rock that flew out of a truck on I95 as well as running over a 5 gallon water cooler lid (we had a path around until a passing truck create a wind that moved it over just enough). Rode over that like it was not even there. WTF - these interstates are crazy! only 250mi to go on it today though and we will update you as soon as we find a computer to log on. Thanks for the back up on FRED.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #119
aterveen_1487
Black Hills BMW Stampede

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Thanks for the back up on FRED.
Keep em' coming, Mandi and I think this is a cool idea. Take care and enjoy your ride. How is the sheep skin butt pad working? I bet the judges really looked that part over very close. ha ha ha

Huge fire in by rapid city, taken many structures and over 2000 acres. NOT GOOD! Glad you guys got to see the Black Hills During the stampede, the Sturgis Beemer riders are going to be disappointed as it is smokey and 108 degrees. Take care!
Posse #336
WWW.BLACKHILLSBMW.COM
aterveen_1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #120
ptero
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Due to clean livin' the rain that swamped Cleveland just brushed us overnight. It dried up before breakfast and the overcast held off the heat for awhile as we hit the swap meet. Griz found a sidecar bucket, just like his but in better shape, but there it was in the middle of OHIO! They announced there were some 1500 vendors at the meet. It was huge. I left Griz to the vendors and checked the BMW demo area. Of course, there was Norm. Too busy for much more than a "Hi", but it was good to see him. His GS tire is hanging in very nicely on the K.

We watched, and SMELLED (oh what a sweet smell), the old boys zooming around the track for a bit. We left Mid-Ohio reluctantly and headed West on US30. After lunch and a gas-up we were at my get-off for heading north to the barn in Michigan. Various things looming pulled me home (from where I write). I REALLY wanted to head into the prarie heat that is in Griz' future. Really! I did!

I hid out at a restaurant between Toledo and Detroit to let the rush hour die down and personally cool off - the heat was back. That made it a snap to get on through downtown and out the other side to home. First things first - turn on the a/c!

I hear Griz made it mostly across Indiana and was quaffing Coronas at last report.

btw, the K11GS is a bit over 163,000 now. WOOHOO, the final drive made it!!!

Ride Hard or Stay Home

ptero screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 04:00 AM
ptero is offline   Reply With Quote