User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #1516
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Another "moose" story:

I hit one on my ol '82 BMW R100S on a dark Fall night up in the foothills behind Anchorage a number of years ago. A warm Chinook wind had blown into town and I decided to go for a late night ride. I went down the Seward Hwy along Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage then came back taking the long way home by going up into the foothills behind town.

It was after midnight and no traffic so I was clipping along at a pretty good rate northbound on Abbott Rd. As I crested a rise a moose came running out from behind some bushes crossing right in front of me from right to left. I knew we were going to hit so as I was applying both brakes I turned my head slightly to the left preparing for impact.

My body laid up against her chest from helmet down. The glancing blow knocked the bike into the oncoming lane before coming to a stop. And I DIDN'T crash! Amazing. And the moose didn't seem to be injured either. I'm glad the Beemer's cylinder jug didn't catch her leg. I'm also glad I'd just gotten a jacket with dual density armor as my shoulder was still very sore for days afterward. My right foot was also very sore from getting slammed against the engine.

And how far did the bike impact into the moose? Far enough to leave some moose hair stuck right smack in the center of my now cracked fairing! My right mirror was also torn off as was the horn off the right side frame cradle. But thankfully no injuries to me or the moose. I now jokingly say that I "counted coop" with a moose. I then rode home VERY thankful it wasn't any worse and totally amazed that I didn't crash!

I had the bike till sadly I totalled it a few years ago. I've said it a few times before, hard to believe I used to think I was pretty "sporty" on that ol baby.

Warmest regards from way up north, Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 11:13 PM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #1517
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Any idea WHY???
In my case, it was because a black lab was chasing it. The chicken hit the right side fairing lower of my one month old 2010 Ultra Classic. Left a splatter of blood on my bike and right leg, but my riding partner that day (who was riding the right wheel track, and MUCH closer than prudent) got covered in feathers.....
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #1518
Ah Um
A lurker emerges

Oddometer: 140
Route 100, Vermont, about 8 years ago: My wife and I catch sight of a black truck in the distance. As we draw closer, we can see it's a tanker. And it's not painted black, it's covered in grime. WTF? Then the smell hits us. Oh gawd, it's a honey wagon. We're on a stretch of mountain twisties, so there's no room to pass. Eventually I drop back, just to get away from the stench. After a while the road straightens out through a nice long valley. I accelerate towards the truck, put on my blinker and check my blind spot. At that exact moment, the truck hits a pothole and a burps a bubble of liquid shit into the air.

Splash.

On my jacket, on and in my helmet, all across the front of the bike. My wife didn't catch a drop--she ducked behind me just in time.
Ah Um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #1519
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Um View Post
Route 100, Vermont, about 8 years ago: My wife and I catch sight of a black truck in the distance. As we draw closer, we can see it's a tanker. And it's not painted black, it's covered in grime. WTF? Then the smell hits us. Oh gawd, it's a honey wagon. We're on a stretch of mountain twisties, so there's no room to pass. Eventually I drop back, just to get away from the stench. After a while the road straightens out through a nice long valley. I accelerate towards the truck, put on my blinker and check my blind spot. At that exact moment, the truck hits a pothole and a burps a bubble of liquid shit into the air.

Splash.

On my jacket, on and in my helmet, all across the front of the bike. My wife didn't catch a drop--she ducked behind me just in time.
Man, that is a shitty day.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #1520
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 288
Last night, near the Naches River on Highway 12, two, uh, geese? Ducks with an extra six inches and re-e-e-ally long neck? Crossing the four lane highway immediately in front of me. Jigged right to go behind them and the car behind me managed to miss them too. I'm more of a chicken and turkey guy, goose isn't my thing...
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #1521
Andy Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Cartoon Cow

On a Honda S?100 about 1975, slid around a corner found a cow standing across the dirt road; cow went right, left a horizontal stream of manure hanging in mid-air...split it wide open before it hit the ground. Truly scared the sh_t out of that one!

Year or so later topped a rise on a CB200 and found myself in the middle of a herd of pigs...bounced off several before I finally "had to lay her down".

1000's of miles & 100's of drops, no gear but a 3/4 helmet and shield, little bit of road rash...damn being a teenager was fun!
Andy Mc
Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #1522
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I don't know if UK roads are more well kept or I've just been very lucky but my 2 closest calls are animal ones. First was a badger on an unlit country road, it just bolted across the road as I was mid-corner. The other was in Richmond park, a dog scared a deer and the deer ran across the road, fortunately the low speed limit is quite strictly enforced and I could stop in time.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #1523
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,206
Almost hit. Heading back from Cuchillo in New Mexico, see a raptor flying above with its' dinner clasped in its talons. Sucker let go and the snake fluttered down landing on the side of the road as I zoomed by

Oh and I did hit a semi's road gator. Was running 70-75 on the interstate in too much traffic with a semi in front of me. Wasn't his tire but came out from underneath and I whacked it doing a low side into the yucca filled median. Bad shoulder that eventually required some surgery, a couple sprained ankles, a couple small fractures in the hand (the the bastards initially neglected to find in the x-ray, and a bit of rash on the knee. The gator was unscathed. Eventually I collected on my uninsured motorist insurance as it covers unknown motorists as well.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220

barko1 screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 06:07 PM
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #1524
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Almost hit a black bear cub in northern Alberta. I often wonder what would have happened if I injured the cub and crashed the bike. Angry momma bear?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #1525
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Almost hit a black bear cub in northern Alberta. I often wonder what would have happened if I injured the cub and crashed the bike. Angry momma bear?
I am guessing that it would not have ended well.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #1526
GDI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
A couple of years ago I'm on my trusty ol' ST1100 headed east (south) on I94 just north of Black River Falls, WI when we get into a road construction zone. There's a semi truck in front of me, and a car immediately behind me. The car is pretty tight on my six, so I decide to back off the truck a little to give me some room if we should have to stop suddenly. I had been in the right wheel-track--not sure why now, but probably pavement issues in left wheel-track. Anyway, at some point I decide it would make more sense to be in the left wheel-track. I no more than make my move when an orange barrel rolls out in to the traffic lane from the right-hand side of the road behind the semi. It's still in the right wheel-track as I pass unharmed. The car immediately behind me was not so lucky because the barrel had only made it to the middle of the traffic lane, and so the car hit the barrel!

If I would have stayed in the other wheel-track, I would've smacked into that barrel myself! Two wheels good, four wheels bad!

GDI
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #1527
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Earlier in the thread I told a story of a bunch of geese flying into the path of some tour buses and nearly taking me out. I was pretty sure they were big enough to possibly even kill me. Well, yesterday my wife had one fly into the windshield of her car. The damage to the windshield was so severe I can push my finger through the windshield without much effort now.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1528
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I just got caught in a downpour about 1 mile from home. A real turd-floater. I entered my hood and ran over 2 6' snakes that were trying to escape the flood I guess. My ridiculously small motorcycle evidently does not/did not weigh enough to kill them........

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21806265
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #1529
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylander View Post
Earlier in the thread I told a story of a bunch of geese flying into the path of some tour buses and nearly taking me out. I was pretty sure they were big enough to possibly even kill me. Well, yesterday my wife had one fly into the windshield of her car. The damage to the windshield was so severe I can push my finger through the windshield without much effort now.
I caught a buzzard yest and have no idea how it didnt break the window. Dumb animal was eating dead animal in the middle of my lane, I weaved WAY to the left and of course he came up at me. Destroyed my drivers side window wiper and blade. Big sucker he was.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #1530
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,206
Maybe this thread is a curse, just found it two days ago and today I let my attention wander for a second, young cow wandered on the road. I was breaking trying to figure which way it was going to go. I went right, it started left then went right. At pretty low speed we touched on my left side, had my wife on back, stayed up, not a big hit. The collision only popped a fairing nut but nothing else that I have discovered yet. I think the cow may have learned something about staying off the road, nah. It was an open range area that I caution others about. Guess I'll be keeping better focus.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote