User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #16
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,789
Aluminum step ladder last week.

Huge wooden doghouse-sized object flew out of a pickup on Sunday.

Oh yeah, and a FUCKING SEMI. Bonehead locked 'em up in front of the car in front of me to pull over--on a fucking interchange ramp. Thank god for ABS. I started to use the breakdown lane for an out, and the bastard pulled over. Able to swerve around the 4runner in front of me. Was I following too closely? Yeah--too close to be behind a FUCKING TRACTOR TRAILER THAT LOCKS ITS BRAKES WITHOUT WARNING ON THE GODDAMNED INTERSTATE.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
chicken little
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 38
A water heater. A well used water heater. I dodged it as it flew outta the back of a Ford.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
SgtNapalm
ADV'er

Oddometer: 279
I made a right hand turn at a traffic signal, I was just behind a Chevy pickup and I could hear a horn beeping and beeping. I see the Chevy start to brake, then he stops in the four lane road, I stop behind him, as not one but two semi tires with the wheels are rolling in front of and towards him down the road at about thirty mph. One rolled towards the sidewalk bounce across a small parking lot, the tire hit a store front just missing a window. I then cut the block and found the Trucker, noting his problem, pulling into a grocery store parking lot. He asked me if anybody was hurt, and where he could locate some more lug nuts.
-SGT
SgtNapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #19
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
A friggnig WHEEL that had ejected from a 4x4 coming srtaight at me on the 210 freeway in La Canada Ca. I swerved and it bounced off the hood of a big Mercedes sedan....CRUNCH.

A drive shaft, almost invisable in the afternoon sun on blacktop. Luckily it was pointing in the direction I was going but I barley missed it.

And just a few weeks ago a bicycle carrier complete with the bikes still on it fell off the back of a motorhome on the west bound 60 in Chino/Pomona. The fugger hit the ground and bounced into my lane. Thank you ABS
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #20
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtNapalm
I made a right hand turn at a traffic signal, I was just behind a Chevy pickup and I could hear a horn beeping and beeping. I see the Chevy start to brake, then he stops in the four lane road, I stop behind him, as not one but two semi tires with the wheels are rolling in front of and towards him down the road at about thirty mph. One rolled towards the sidewalk bounce across a small parking lot, the tire hit a store front just missing a window. I then cut the block and found the Trucker, noting his problem, pulling into a grocery store parking lot. He asked me if anybody was hurt, and where he could locate some more lug nuts.
-SGT

Hey, that wasn't there when I started..............
newcastlebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 PM   #21
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
I had two headons within one week. It was the week after Memorial day weekend.

this was the first one, I was arrowing a closed trail for the ISDE qualifier. I took his footpeg off with my front rim and he was pretty dazed. I was hardly moving and came out ok. It could have been much worse.
I was pretty bummed after spending the last two months getting this trail ready then being run down by some one being where they shouldn't.
I had another one the next Saturday when I was ghosting the trail the morning before the event. The other rider was a friend of mine and once again we were lucky.
This has me verry concerned about riding fire roads and improved trails where you can get speed.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #22
helixblue
Daredevil Clutz

Oddometer: 381
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
2) Aluminum Ladder, I-285 Atlanta. Kinda jumped it, should have wrecked but didn't.
3) A steel nut, about 2 inches in diameter, straight to the chest (thought it stopped my heart it hit so hard) I-285 Atlanta
I started a new job in April that requires me to commute a few miles on I-285 & I-20. It amazes me all of the crap I see on I-285. I've seen a ladder straight across the fast lane next to the I-75 junction, I've had an umbrella opened-up that hit me as well. It actually took me a few seconds of complete fear to register that it was just an umbrella coming at me and not something more solid. I lost count of all of the other things I've seen on I-285, including bumpers.

Thankfully - I haven't taken my bike yet on I-285. The section between I-75 and I-20 is just too scarey to take to work yet. :)
helixblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #23
Croissant Warrior
Because it's there

Oddometer: 187
A big pile of dog shit. It smelled for miles!
Croissant Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
FT BSTRD
Welcome to The Dispersive

Oddometer: 4,334
Running down a back road bordered by tall grass. A rabbit ran out in front of me followed by a big Black Lab followed by an even bigger Golden Retriever. I almost hit the lab in the ass and the Golden locked up the breaks or he would have plowed into my right leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #25
rapidrider
rapidrider

Oddometer: 224
Last year on a DS ride with a few guys in southern Washington we passed a Peacock in a farmers yard that took flight just behind me and flew across the road between me and the next rider. Looking in my mirror...I damn near fell off my bike in disbelief because I didn't know the damn things could fly. Needles to say...my buddy nearly had to change his shorts after this big assed bird flew in front of him at eye level just missing him. Lucky he did not hit this critter as I'm sure he would have had a serious consequence.
rapidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #26
sandiegoland
Adventure Boy®

Oddometer: 1,743
a surfboard of course!
sandiegoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #27
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,120
I'm staying the hell out of Georgia!

Look at this thread and count how many of the close calls happen there! WTF???

Most unusual (so far): In this country ranchers move a lot of cattle from Winter Range to Summer range and vice versa in big cattle-hauler trucks, usually double-deckers with dozens of cows in them. When they take a curve too fast all the pooled up poopoo and peepee from all those frightened cattle sloshes out and leaves a big fan of cowshit slime across the apex of the corner. Corner after corner. If it dries, it will get slimy after the next rain. Day after day the shit stays there waiting to kill someone on a motorcycle.

I came around a bend on Togwotee Pass (east of Jackson Hole and the Tetons) dragging the pegs, entered a very fresh cowshit slick and slid uncontrollably to the outside of the turn. Both front and rear slid simultaneously, just zero traction until I hit the gravel alongside the road and got some traction back. Missed a delineator post by an inch. Finally got stopped and it took 15 minutes for the sewing-machine leg thing to quit so I could ride on toward home. I really watch for that stuff anymore, it's everywhere at certain times of the year.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:18 AM   #28
DeSoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Whew!!!!!!

It's night time and I'm riding on interstate 35 in the Kansas City area. I am in the right hand lane and see a truck up ahead parked on the right shoulder. I decided to switch lanes to the left side. about this time I pass a 4 by 8 trailer setting in the middle of the right lane with no reflectors lights or anything to announce its presence. Right after passing the trailer, I pass a guy running from the truck back to the trailer to retrieve it. It happened over thirty years ago and I still remember it very clearly.
DeSoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:26 AM   #29
jmf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
[quote=kdxkawboy]The oddest thing I've had to dodge has been ball lightning.

You win. Thats gotta be the strangest ive ever heard. makes the industrial air duct in the left lane of the freeway sound lame.

Matt
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #30
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
It was a most surreal experience. I don't know what would happen if you were hit by one of those balls, but it didn't seem like the time to experiment.

I was talking with some friends about ghosting - riding under a full moon with your headlight off - and I got to remembering another odd experience. Come October's full moon I take an annual ghost trip up and over Sonora Pass. Over on the east side of Sonora Pass the Marine Corp has their Mountain Warfare Training Center. As I passed the base I cut my headlight and headed into the pass.

Eight miles up I come around a sharp bend and see this double line of dark shapes moving up the road and hit the brakes. About the time a recognized the kevlar covers these dark shapes start diving off the shoulder looking to gain cover. Now its been said I have a twisted sense of humor so when it dawned on me that I'd nearly run down a platoon of Marines on night exercises I cut the engine and yelled, 'Sarge, they were dead before they saw me' and took off.

Turned around at Kennedy Meadows and came back. Just over the summit I ran into that platoon again, double timing. This time they heard me in time so they were all huddles down in a ditch trying to look like rocks. This time I yelled, 'Sarge, rocks don't kick up dust'.