Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #91
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,885
I've hit all sorts of things - the usual array of furry and feathered critters.

The stangest thing that I've almost hit was a full size bath tub. Luckily the freeway was traffic light at that time of morning. Funnily enough, a few miles further on I came across a flat bed truck missing one bath.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #92
E. Pluribus Funk

Oddometer: 2,270
wtf is that?

On a recent early morning ride on an isolated stretch of I-95, I'm in the middle lane an suv in the fast lane about 10 car lengths ahead....no other cars in sight. Just kinda ho-hummin' along when all of a sudden he's hard on the brakes, no sooner do I roll out of the throttle when this ungainly looking critter lurches out from in front of the suv and directly in my path , I swerve right to miss....an Otter? Talk about "target fixation", I've lived here 20 years and have never even seen one in the water let alone the middle of a hwy. It moved like a giant black inchworm, got the heart rate up...that's for sure.
E. Pluribus Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #93
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
A bat off my helmet.

A snake crossing the road.

A Harley (hit me).

Almosts: A red tail fox, coyote, hawk, and snapping turtle.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #94
BHazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
1) A live turkey, back roads, Austell, GA. Spun me around but I did not go down.

2) Aluminum Ladder, I-285 Atlanta. Kinda jumped it, should have wrecked but didn't.

3) A steel nut, about 2 inches in diameter, straight to the chest (thought it stopped my heart it hit so hard) I-285 Atlanta

4) Muffler and attached exhaust pipe, 575 near Canton, GA. No wreck

5) Water melon, I-75 near Valdosta. Almost, and I mean almost but no wreck.

6) Wooden pallet (empty) East/West Connector, Austell, GA. Scared me shitless.

7) A helmet, unstrapped and blew off another rider in front of me, Daytona. No wreck.

8) German Shepherd, near Bo-Bo's house. No wreck but torn up a guys fresh grass stopping it.

Weirdest I have heard, guy from Earl Smalls Harley Davidson in Marietta, Ga was headed to the Hard Rock Cafe in Atlantawith a group of bikes. I-75 south after dark. He hit an upside down wheelbarrow tub that already had the wheels and supports knocked off. Was almost a perfect ramp. Said he was about 8 feet off the ground, got some good distance and landed without crashing. LOTS and LOTS of damage to the bike.
Wow! You have had some close calls and quite a few of them. It sounds like your guardian angel is putting in some OT and doing a good job of taking care of your butt.
BHazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:19 PM   #95
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Tonight I hit 4 baby ducks. The other 9 made it out ok as did momma duck.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:36 PM   #96
Bimjo
Crashes at zero speed...

Oddometer: 321
hubcap

Been lurking for a couple weeks & this is as good a place as any to do the intro thing. I've been out of biking for 25 years, doing the kid rearin' thing. The kids are grown, it's time to get back into it.

Heading home from Savannah, GA (to Beaufort, SC) after a trip to the Honda shop I'm following a Trailways bus. Just after the big sweeping left turn just into SC I pull out to pass that big sucker. When I get about 5 feet from his back bumper he runs over a hubcap and the duals launch that puppy at my front tire.

I had just enough time to think "uh-oh" when the edge of the front tire clips the hubcap inducing a rather rapid and violent leftrightleftrightleftright (had to be 936 times at least) oscillation. I later learned this is called a "tank slapper". Aptly named phenomena, though "freakin' scary" would work equally well I think.

To this day I don't know why I didn't fall down, though I'm damn glad I didn't.

Bimjo screwed with this post 07-13-2006 at 05:31 AM
Bimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:00 AM   #97
mdd0127
Banned

Oddometer: 247
I-40 oklahoma city- a hubcap from under a semi hit me in the shin at 83mph(top speed of the xl600r)

us160 between cortez and durango co- hummingbird to the chest at highway speed!

lots of bees, spiders, and hornets too.
mdd0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #98
jcampbell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
First Post

I've been lurking for months now but this thread reminded me of my closest call.

Dallas in November 1963, riding the largest Honda made at the time, my beloved Honda Super Hawk 305 in 40 mph heavy multi-lane traffic. Me with no helmet (few wore them back then) and my lane suddenly ends. I try for the next lane, but spill into it instead. Sort of went into shock as I fell, and heard the screeching of brakes. Next thing I know, I'm on my back looking up at the hot oil pan of a large dump truck directly above my head. Couldn't get up because of it. I was directly between the front wheels of the truck, it's front bumper over my knees. The scared truck driver was cussing me blue, thought he had run over me (well, he had) but except for some scrapes and a ruined jacket, I was OK. I slid out from under the truck, went to the side of the road as traffic started up again, picked up the nicked bike and continued on my way.

Fortunately it was cold enough that I was wearing gloves and a padded jacket besides my customary jeans and street shoes. OK, I was lucky in many ways. I got a helmet after that and wore gloves all the time, but still rode in shirts and jeans. Getting ready to ride again after 40 years, but will take the riding course and wear ATGAT. This site is very educational..my thanks to all who participate and teach thereby.
jcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #99
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee
For me riding home last night from work. Down the county roads I get stuck behind a hay truck carring about 20 round bails. Well I am back pretty far, darn hay keeps flying everywhere. We get to the twisty part of this two lane country road and yep you guessed it....off falls a hay bail. I realy did not come close as I was thinking it would happen any minute.
I thaught it was funny, then I got a little shakey, I know what a wet hay bail weighs and I would be squished like a bug.

So what else strange have you had a close call with?
A cherokee (jeep) Irony yes?

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #100
bsyyy
just a little bit more

Oddometer: 14
A few close ones

I had to laugh at that "levitating picnic table" story. Reminds me of being amused by a levitating plastic tarpaulin on the back of a truck. I remember thinking it looked like a magic carpet - just before it swept off at a million miles an hour and wrapped around the front of my bike. I slowed to a stop and there was no harm done. Bloody miracle.

One night riding to my mate's farm I was having electrical troubles and needed to ride without lights where I could. I came around a corner (probably only doing about 20kms, but in the dark) and ran into a herd of angry wildebeast. I fairly shat myself. My mind was racing trying to work out how I was going to turn around before they took me out. Why I didn't compute that a herd of wildabeast were unlikely in northern Australia I'll never know but turning the light on revealed a dozen or so fat dairy cows. Took me ages to get over it.

The worst thing I've run into was a swarm of bees. I had 4 or 5 in my helmet which quickly worked their way beyond reach. I must've looked the right idiot riding along trying to get those bloody things out. I got two stings on the same ear and that was it. My ear went red and swelled right up so I looked like the elephant man - unfortunately, at the time I was riding to the first day of a new job..."Here's that freak the new bloke!"
bsyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:09 AM   #101
JustinCase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
medium sized bat, off the shoulder (and hundreds of beautifully colored butterflies which, by day three in the Blue Ridge Mtns, really upset me.
JustinCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #102
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCase
and hundreds of beautifully colored butterflies which, by day three in the Blue Ridge Mtns, really upset me.
I believe it. A few times I have been "Checked out" by some butterflies at traffic lights or when stopping for a smoke. They are pretty amazing creatures and and when they flutter around my head, I laugh every time!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #103
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfinley
While riding on I-80 in Sacramento, CA, I was following "Dualy" pickup in the 3rd of 4
lanes. I couldn't see much of the road ahead of the truck. The truck rolled right over a
4'x8'x2" sheet of styrofoam that was in the road. The draft created behind the truck
sucked it up to vertical right in front of me. I didn't have any time to react, and my immediate
choice was to center-punch it rather than try to go to the side and probably catch a corner of it.
But, the turbulance continued to suck the foam up and away from me. Lucky break.
I'll never know if it was the right choice.
I would hit the styrofoam square on ... it is brittle and light.

Cars around you are not quite.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:56 AM   #104
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
sewing-machine leg thing to quit so I could ride on toward home.
I got that "sewing machine leg thing" when almost hit a dumb female on a PT Cruiser. I was scooting along on the I 76 in the left empty lane and all the sudden the fem on the PT jumps in front of me. Swerve left .... (I think I will not fall .... swerve right (mmm.... I am going to eat it) .... swerve left (maybe I will be ok ) MANAGED TO DOWNSHIFT TO THIRD GEAR and punched the throttle and caught up with the dumbfuck.

Traffic comes to a halt .... I get next to her ..... and leave my signature on her passenger door with my MX boot.

A friendly reminder to check your mirrors .... if I survive another one of those, the instigator probably not.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:32 AM   #105
lawyer1219
Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer: 107
Rolling Deer

Not so strange to narrowly miss a deer.....especially here in NW Pa. But...
I was doing about 75MPH on my '85 RZ350 when the sucker jumped off a bank about 5 - 6 feet above the roadway. When it hit the blacktop in the opposite lane, a four legs splayed and the sumbitch started rolling into my lane. Hard brakes, swerve to the right and passed the thing, still rolling, close enough to kick it with my left foot. Slowed to a crawl, wished I had Depends on that day, and watched the deer get up and scramble back into the woods on the opposite side of the road.
lawyer1219 is offline   Reply With Quote