User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #166
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
Dr 650

Have any recomendations for a DR 650 that will be used for touring in South America ? Are the stock wheels adaquate ?

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #167
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,299
sure the stock wheels are adequqte,,but for what,,,???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic
Have any recomendations for a DR 650 that will be used for touring in South America ? Are the stock wheels adaquate ?
lunatic,,,you'll be fine if...IF yu keep your spokes well tensioned,,,don't try to motocross it,,,drive like the average rider that that bike was designed for,,so no need to pretend you are going from paris to dakar in the race...or are in a competetion,,,and you should be just fine,,,

hey Dr. Frazier has riddnaround the world several times on stock bikes,,klr-650,,,beemers...so it is doable,,,common sense,,a handy commodity to pack along your ride
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #168
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Woody, those are some nice looking hubs for the KTM's!

I have a 2007 450 EXC that I will ride in the woods and dualsport it also.

If I keep the stock rear wheel for dirt riding how much would it cost to lace up a new black rim with the cush drive hub so I can use it for dualsport use?
I take that it would just drop right in as long as I had another brake rotor? would I need to buy any spacers?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #169
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

will get prices for you,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
Woody, those are some nice looking hubs for the KTM's!

I have a 2007 450 EXC that I will ride in the woods and dualsport it also.

If I keep the stock rear wheel for dirt riding how much would it cost to lace up a new black rim with the cush drive hub so I can use it for dualsport use?
I take that it would just drop right in as long as I had another brake rotor? would I need to buy any spacers?
i believe the rear hub is circa $300,,the rest of the prices are in KTM section of www.woodyswheelworks.com

the new billet cush drive sprocket carrier is about $150,,,,it is optional ,,OR you can use your oem unit with the 6 rubber dampeners,,we have any or all of the above

YES this cush drive fits in any KTM dirtbike ,,no additional spacers needed

FYI,,,$$$$ depends on brand and size rims,,,the spokes,,,and type of lace we do,,,, you pick and choose what you want or call us toll free for advice

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-22-2007 at 09:50 PM
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #170
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
KTMRyder:

My new EXC wheels are about to be built. I opted for black with the black custom sprocket carrier. I'm getting an extra sprocket and rotors so I can have two sets of EXC wheels. The new hubs look great!

woodsy

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #171
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

once again,, criteria regarding converting to tubeless,,

another e-mail...and reply

[quote mr.xyz]WOODY
BOUT HOW MUCH ..sorry to seal my front & rear wheels? ,,,,,,,

$70 a piece if they fall within my criteria,,ie rims must have safety beads for starters

,,,,,are there big safety issues with doing so on a tube type rim?
[/quote]

mr xyz,,,YES!!!!! there are big safety issues,,,tubeless rims are designed to very specific standards in cahoots with the tire manufacturers and their engineers/designers needs.

FYI,,,when you say 'tube-type rim' it could be ambiguous,,reason being ,,in the old days TT meant tube type both for rim and the tire ,,,TL meant tubeless for rim and tire,,,,you can use a TL rim and punch/drill it for spokes and hence use a tube and then possibly seal it and make a tubeless wheel,,,WHY????? because ALL TL rims that i know of come with a safety bead.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #172
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
well weather wouldn't permit me to head down the highway to the sand dunes....

so i had to stick around the house and play in the snow...

sure am lovin' my new front wheel!!!!

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #173
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,888
I can't believe no one has asked this, and maybe I missed something, but I searched. Can you lace up a set of wheels to fit the Suzuki DL1000? If so, what would be the aproximate cost?

I am assuming that the hardest part would be to find a suitable hub that would fit the bike, and have the proper brake rotor bolt patterns.

I was just wondering, as I have been taking the Strom off-road, and although the cast wheels hold up pretty well, there is a dent in my front rim after riding some rocky terrain.

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #174
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

we can lace-up or straighten most anything,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnowledge
I can't believe no one has asked this, and maybe I missed something, but I searched. Can you lace up a set of wheels to fit the Suzuki DL1000? If so, what would be the aproximate cost?

I am assuming that the hardest part would be to find a suitable hub that would fit the bike, and have the proper brake rotor bolt patterns.

I was just wondering, as I have been taking the Strom off-road, and although the cast wheels hold up pretty well, there is a dent in my front rim after riding some rocky terrain.
Jknowlwedge my man,,the title to this reply says it all...i can and have built some of the craziest conversions imaginable,,,however,,...i cannot tap into the vast pool of stuff done already until i have the wheels and or exact specs of the motorcycles you'd like wire wheels for,,,,i hate having to re-invent it all the time when something may already have been done similar to what ya have

tis almost 2 years since i heard the first grumblings about v-strom riders wanting wire wheels perhaps even a 21 for the front,,,yet no one has sent me any to match up,,,

remember i like building wheels as close to interchangeable as possible..ie just slip em into your bike like the oem ones is my ideal...who's gonna send me the data or the wheels

as for straightening your mag,,,,no problem
Old 01-23-2007, 08:32 PM   #175
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
KTMRyder:

My new EXC wheels are about to be built. I opted for black with the black custom sprocket carrier. I'm getting an extra sprocket and rotors so I can have two sets of EXC wheels. The new hubs look great!

woodsy

woodsrider, can you show me some pics and thoughts of the rear when you get it?
I think I will have Woody do the same for me before I head to Moab in April.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 AM   #176
JAYZONI
BIKELESS (FOR NOW)

Oddometer: 41
Loving Bullfrogs new front wheel .. I myself have an 06 KLR 650 and would like a $$$price$$$ on the same rim... Thanks JAY!
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #177
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
Jknowlwedge my man,,the title to this reply says it all...i can and have built some of the craziest conversions imaginable,,,however,,...i cannot tap into the vast pool of stuff done already until i have the wheels and or exact specs of the motorcycles you'd like wire wheels for,,,,i hate having to re-invent it all the time when something may already have been done similar to what ya have

tis almost 2 years since i heard the first grumblings about v-strom riders wanting wire wheels perhaps even a 21 for the front,,,yet no one has sent me any to match up,,,

remember i like building wheels as close to interchangeable as possible..ie just slip em into your bike like the oem ones is my ideal...who's gonna send me the data or the wheels

as for straightening your mag,,,,no problem

I am currently looking for an extra set of wheels, so that I can have a set with TKCs, and a set with More street oriented adventure tires. If I find a second set, I will happily send you the ones I have on there now, so that you can work some wired wheels up (I'd love a 21" / 18" combination), and straighten out my front, as long as the turn around isn't gonna be too terribly long.

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #178
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

we'll just need a few days,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnowledge
I am currently looking for an extra set of wheels, so that I can have a set with TKCs, and a set with More street oriented adventure tires. If I find a second set, I will happily send you the ones I have on there now, so that you can work some wired wheels up (I'd love a 21" / 18" combination), and straighten out my front, as long as the turn around isn't gonna be too terribly long.

like i said i just need to get all the dimensions,,so send the wheels complete with spacers,discs etc,,,careful photos would do with accurate measurements,,all of thatplus the straightening should only take a day or two and they'll be haeding back your way,,it's only the first set up that takes a bit of time,,,once i've done one all the rest of the v-stromers will have their cake way faster...

when i have the entire assy then i'll know things like can we recycle the discs on to the new wheels or can i find a complete wheel with discs but have the discs although different still be the same diameter and thickness and have the correct offset/spacing...sometimes the brake calipers interfere,,,,

BWOE when we just did the first 21'' wire wheels for bmw 110-1150GS they had a slight .040'' clearance problem with the lower corner of the calipers,,,stuff like that comes up,,,,if there is a concern we'd need to note the closest spot of the caliper to your mag's spokes,,,measure the distance between it and just where that diameter is on your mag then i can figure out if there is enough clearance,,,,and on and on

get one of your local v-strom buddies to stop in at the wheel works for an hour and i'll be able to get all the measurements and data i need ,,,save you all some money in the process,,
Old 01-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #179
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

$$$depends on what you get,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYZONI
Loving Bullfrogs new front wheel .. I myself have an 06 KLR 650 and would like a $$$price$$$ on the same rim... Thanks JAY!
bullfrog did the work himself ie lace n true and ordered up a bunch of new and used stuff i had around...it was circa $200 rim ,spokes,,rim locks

add a custom lace n true for only $80,,,SUPERLACE is just $99 with one year warranty against wheel falling apart

FYI,,,all new components above would be circa $300 + labor
Old 01-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #180
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYZONI