Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #1921
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,288
going around the world on F800GS and F650GS,,,what works better???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
hey woody,

going around the world for three months next year on a F800GS and F650GS twin...awe n then some!!!!

what do you recommend for the 800gs to replace the cheap stock rims and possibly the rear size...? tubeless? excel? bearings?most cost effective way is to swap front for stronger narrower 1.85x21 excel and a narrower 3.5x17 excel superlaced,,,if you are happy with the current ride characteristics...

also what would you say for the f650gs twin? alloy wheels work?people have gone around the world on most evrything,,even scooters and honda 50s,,,,ya just have to tone down your speed and not take too many chances ,,,the tougher the wheels though the less ya have to worry about,,,that's where i come into play.... my mom's a very cautious and lightweight rider...here's a ride report from a couple doing some wild stuff in Nz on a pair of F650GS:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646889
enjoy n holler if we can help
happy new year too...

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #1922
PeterX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
front wheel replacement

I'm very interested in doing the front. What will the $400 include? Is there any downside to the conversion? I will have access to the bike around the 11th of the month, how do proceed for there. I'll be shipping the wheel out to you from the SF Bay area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
that's using your hubs...
holler
w
PeterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #1923
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
enjoy n holler if we can help
happy new year too...

woody
same there!!!!! have a cost for the excel set? what advantage would the 18 help?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #1924
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

+/- and $$$ of dropping to 19 ''from 21''

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterX View Post
I'm very interested in doing the front. What will the $400 include? Is there any downside to the conversion? I will have access to the bike around the 11th of the month, how do proceed for there. I'll be shipping the wheel out to you from the SF Bay area.
the downside is you will lose optimal dirt/ trails riding characteristics....the upside is that it will be lower and do everything everywhere else better....

$400 gets you a superlaced super strong wheel ,,,havy duty ss spoke set,,2.5 x in silver excel on your hub....3/4'' closer to the ground

want:
satin black rim add $75,,or
shiny/candy apple /glossy rim add $100[gotta re-polish it after the clear get's stripped]

seal for tubeless=$99

does that help???
woody
Old 01-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #1925
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
same there!!!!! have a cost for the excel set? what advantage would the 18 help?
circa $800-900 using your hubs add $900 for billet hubs or oem ones...

FYI,,,the 18'' is loved by all those that ride mainly in the dirt,,tis the big dirt tire selection and the fact that the wheels do hook up better in the dirt....

holler,,
woody
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #1926
PeterX
Gnarly Adventurer

Wheel mod

Sounds good to me. I'll take it in satin black, I believe that is the finish on the wheels now. I'd like the tubeless, but i think i'd better learn how to change tubed tires if I'm going to be doing any dirt riding. I'm assuming this size will give me the standard spread of DS tires?

Man, you must work 24/7! Let me know how you want me to ship the wheel and a time frame. It's a pleasure doing business with you already, and so far it's only been emails.

Quote:
the downside is you will lose optimal dirt/ trails riding characteristics....the upside is that it will be lower and do everything everywhere else better....

$400 gets you a superlaced super strong wheel ,,,havy duty ss spoke set,,2.5 x in silver excel on your hub....3/4'' closer to the ground

want:
satin black rim add $75,,or
shiny/candy apple /glossy rim add $100[gotta re-polish it after the clear get's stripped]

seal for tubeless=$99

does that help???
woody
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #1927
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I'll take it in satin black, I believe that is the finish on the wheels now. I'd like the tubeless, but i think i'd better learn how to change tubed tires if I'm going to be doing any dirt riding. I'm assuming this size will give me the standard spread of DS tires?

Man, you must work 24/7! Let me know how you want me to ship the wheel and a time frame. It's a pleasure doing business with you already, and so far it's only been emails.
i work 365/12 and take a day off on leap year,,,

nawww,,i have mastered the fine art of multitasking,,,you'll know when i devote my energy to other tasks ,,and i also know how to shut the door and leave it all behind in the hands of my capable crew....

we prefer the wheels complete,,,then i get a sense of what's happened to it as well as get the specs/offsets correct...

turn around is usually days or a wek or two at most,,,stuff /orders come thru in random waves i noticed,,,

soon
woody
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #1928
PeterX
Gnarly Adventurer

Leave the rotors and abs ring on? I'll contact you as soon as I get my hands on the bike and make arrangements for shipping.

Thanks, I'm already feeling more comfortable with the height of the bike. What tire size should I start looking for for the new front set up?

Peter X

Quote:
i work 365/12 and take a day off on leap year,,,

nawww,,i have mastered the fine art of multitasking,,,you'll know when i devote my energy to other tasks ,,and i also know how to shut the door and leave it all behind in the hands of my capable crew....

we prefer the wheels complete,,,then i get a sense of what's happened to it as well as get the specs/offsets correct...

turn around is usually days or a wek or two at most,,,stuff /orders come thru in random waves i noticed,,,

soon
woody

PeterX screwed with this post 01-02-2011 at 11:59 AM Reason: left out information
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #1929
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Leave the rotors and abs ring on? I'll contact you as soon as I get my hands on the bike and make arrangements for shipping.

Thanks, I'm already feeling more comfortable with the height of the bike. What tire size should I start looking for for the new front set up?

Peter X
you have a plethora of dual sport tires available in 110/80x19

you can unbolt the abs ring and disc and remount em when you get it back,,always have all the rotating parts on when balancing your tire!!!

FYI or we can do all that for you ,,,about a third of our customers want complete turn-key set-ups,,,ie just slip it in install axle,,,torque things down and ride away,,simple as that
w
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #1930
PeterX
Gnarly Adventurer

I like that. I'll be in contact with you.

Take care,

X

Quote:
you have a plethora of dual sport tires available in 110/80x19

you can unbolt the abs ring and disc and remount em when you get it back,,always have all the rotating parts on when balancing your tire!!!

FYI or we can do all that for you ,,,about a third of our customers want complete turn-key set-ups,,,ie just slip it in install axle,,,torque things down and ride away,,simple as that
w
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #1931
ktmr32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Question ktm 950 adventure wheels

hi Woody i wish u a happy new year, i was wondering what about if i am going to leave the 18 on my rear axle and just replace the front with a 19 one?

my motorcycle is a ktm adv 950? any suggestions?

thanks
ktmr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #1932
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

21'' to 19'' front only conversion on KTM 950 ADV...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmr32 View Post
hi Woody i wish u a happy new year, i was wondering what about if i am going to leave the 18 on my rear axle and just replace the front with a 19 one?

my motorcycle is a ktm adv 950? any suggestions?

thanks
some folks have done this and registered no complaints...
what happens technically when you ONLY drop the front an inch,,, well,,,you
1,,,theoretically/actually will decrease the steering head angle and consequently the trail of the bike in this case it will speed up the steering more radically than dropping both ends,,,
2,,,you'll still have the same increase in braking ability per input by virtue of the smaller diameter
3 ,,,you''l have a huge selection of dual sport tires at your disposal
4,,,you'll get a liitle closer to the ground,but not as much as doing both ends
5,ya won't get the optimal handling ,,, tire choices and getting even closer to the ground as ta would with a 150/70x17 rear tire

so doable BUT not optimal

holler
woody
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #1933
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Hey woody,

Possible to reuse my current front and rear F800GS hubs for the construction of the X-Laced Caponord type of Rims?

Thinking of saving some cash...

IMO, using the Caponord/BMW designed spoke tubeless setup is more lasting than the silicon sealing technique that you're doing... Is it?
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #1934
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

F800GS to CapoNord tubeless conversion????...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post
Hey woody,

Possible to reuse my current front and rear F800GS hubs for the construction of the X-Laced Caponord type of Rims?

Thinking of saving some cash...

IMO, using the Caponord/BMW designed spoke tubeless setup is more lasting than the silicon sealing technique that you're doing... Is it?
you are not the only one thinking about saving some cash!!!

i'll look into it,,,,we were able to utilize the oem KTM LC-4/8 hubs on the first attempt at cross pollinating,,,i ended up re-designing the hub out of billet to beef up the critical areas that had added stresses placed upon them due to the X-lacing.

personally, i think the X-lacing technique is one of the best just from a technical perspective,,,that it allows you to run a genuine tubeless rim is a bonus.

of course one has to also factor in the cost/benefit ratio,,,,as well as one's anxiety tolerance...

when you think that it'll be $1700 to convert your wheels vs $198 to seal em both....
when i have customers and my old vintage race- bikes still being used / raced tube-less-ly on wheels i sealed 20+ years ago ,,,[the old way],,,well,,,,that says something...and when i have had zero leaks with my upgraded techniques,,well,, i'm on to something even better....

FYI,,practically all the failed sealing attempts can be traced to improperly cleaned surfaces and lack of proper cure time...attention to detail and patience are the pre-eminent virtues needed for sealing wheels.

while i'm at it,,,,,there is this mystique that tubeless is safer than tube-type wheels,,,,could have been in the older days because the rim profiles were designed to allow you to' break the bead' more easily,,,,times have changed ,,as cars kept going faster the virtues of not having a tube chaffing constantly brought on the notion of going tubeless,,,not wanting the disastrous results of a tube type blow-out the notion of the safety bead was born,,it let's ya ride a few seconds longer before the tire slips off.

well nowadays practically all rims come equipped with safety beads,,,and some of them are so big ala KTM 950/990 rear 4.25x18 Behr rims that you can ride a long way on a flat without the tire dismounting.....AND,,,the price tag ya pay for that comes in the form of the blood, sweat and tears you shed trying to get the tire off/breaking the bead

bottom line is everyone has their own pucker factor,,,and will do or not do the bidding of the lil voice in the back of your head....shedding some light on this subject could calm the chatter and let ya get on with peace of mind.

woody

PS,,i personally ride/race on all the technology i share with you,,,,when i know i did the very best with my mods etc then i go and ride with peace of mind...i know that there is a bell curve of possibilities from BWOE folks never having had a flat to the poor soul with a ton of flats ...i stack the odds in favor of ''what works'',,,and what gives me the best chance of weathering the oddball incidents of picking up a nail or whatever....
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #1935
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
thanks for the sharing woody...

much appreciated...

still saving up funds... likely need to wait till march to confirm the deal with you... =(
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote