Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #2086
Batandball617
n00b

Oddometer: 5
19/17 Capo rims for 2010 990 Adventure ABS (EU)

Hi Guys
Firstly, thank you for your amazing contribution to this incredible resource!
I have a 2010 KTM 990 Adventure ABS (EU) and was considering a set of 19/17 Aprillia rims laced to Talon hubs.

I have concernes that the ABS ring/ sensor would foul the spokes and also the suitability of the Talon hubs.

Have you experienced any clearance issues with the newer Abs models or issues with Talon hubs?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Regards

Paul
Batandball617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #2087
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
Caponord rims to talon hubs ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batandball617 View Post
Hi Guys
Firstly, thank you for your amazing contribution to this incredible resource!
I have a 2010 KTM 990 Adventure ABS (EU) and was considering a set of 19/17 Aprillia rims laced to Talon hubs.

I have concernes that the ABS ring/ sensor would foul the spokes and also the suitability of the Talon hubs.

Have you experienced any clearance issues with the newer Abs models or issues with Talon hubs?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Regards

well, i simply have no idea if they'd work,,,i've designed/figured out how to make the RAD hubs work with these rims.

the abs ring bolts under the disc mount flanges. so should be no problem at lest on oem/RAD billet hubs.

no issues....'cept you'll want to shorten your side-stand,,,we do a an adjustable version by modifying yours to whatever range ya like.

Paul

hope that helps
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #2088
joedirt5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Great Customer Service

Just wanted to take a moment to let people know Woodys is good people. After somehow having 1 spoke break on my g650x motard wheels that Woodys built well over a year ago, they happily shipped a replacement at no charge! That kind of customer service is hard to find nowadays. Kudos to your shop and I will give you any future wheel business I have.
joedirt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #2089
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

to Capitalize or not to capitalize...

hello dear inmates on advrider.com,,,

from time to time i get some shit/grief about my use/lack of use of capitals,,,commas...periods,,,colors,,font sizes etc.

i pass on a fitting e-mail just delivered....
folks i will do everything in my power to create a win-win situation between you getting what i have to say and the physical capabilities left to chicken-peck my way with two unco-operative digits...

enjoy the read and trust me if it comes to confusion,,i'll do my best to CAPITALIZE
woody

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more
people who send text messages and emails have long forgotten the art of capitalization.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the statement below.

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse." Is everybody clear on that?

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 04:28 PM
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #2090
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
I have woody's rim with his signature "super laced" spokes and hub on my 950 in the front. During a tour with other 950 and 990 riders at KTM rally in PA last month, it passed my test its in perfect condition now. Other riders where hitting there stock rims with 2 by 4 and sledge hammer at the end of the ride.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #2091
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

the reason why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I have woody's rim with his signature "super laced" spokes and hub on my 950 in the front. During a tour with other 950 and 990 riders at KTM rally in PA last month, it passed my test its in perfect condition now. Other riders where hitting there stock rims with 2 by 4 and sledge hammer at the end of the ride.

ain't that what it's all about???

woody
Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #2092
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
we no longer offer sealing on 21'' front tires for dual sport use,,,'cuz the TKC-80 tubeless tire is too flimsy for plugging and has a spotty record when used by my customers
The TKC-80 isn't a good tire? What would you recommend instead? I need a new set pretty soon. I have a 2008 R1200GS Adventure. I want something more agressive than the factory street tires I currently have. I ride 35% off road, 65% street.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
TommyHolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #2093
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

to tkc or not to TKC tubeless on front????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHolly View Post
The TKC-80 isn't a good tire? What would you recommend instead? I need a new set pretty soon. I have a 2008 R1200GS Adventure. I want something more agressive than the factory street tires I
currently have. I ride 35% off road, 65% street.
Tommy et al,,,,

FYI,,,that TKC-80 comment ensued from several incidences inmates have had years ago with 21'' fronts...it is ONLY the 90/90x21 were/are talking of,,

amazingly there are hundreds of souls riding tubeless on them,,,all the HP-2s/R100 GS/PD use tubeless 21'' front rims/and tires,,many inmates use em with no problems,,,,
AND they have a very thin carcass,,so thin/flexible that if ya push your thumb out from inside the side-walls ya can see your finger nail on the outside...hence my experience and others have found that plugging from the outside is a very iffy experience

IMHO,,,if that 21'' tire were to have a stiffer/thicker 4ply carcass the story/experience would be markedly different and more satisfying.

woody
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #2094
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Quote:
Tommy et al,,,,

FYI,,,that TKC-80 comment ensued from several incidences inmates have had years ago with 21'' fronts...it is ONLY the 90/90x21 were/are talking of,,

amazingly there are hundreds of souls riding tubeless on them,,,all the HP-2s/R100 GS/PD use tubeless 21'' front rims/and tires,,many inmates use em with no problems,,,,
AND they have a very thin carcass,,so thin/flexible that if ya push your thumb out from inside the side-walls ya can see your finger nail on the outside...hence my experience and others have found that plugging from the outside is a very iffy experience

IMHO,,,if that 21'' tire were to have a stiffer/thicker 4ply carcass the story/experience would be markedly different and more satisfying.

woody
OK cool, I was planning on buying a pair of Continental TKC-80s for my stock rims. The Front tire is 110/80B-19 and the Rear tire is 150/70B-17... hopefully those sizes are good.

In a few other threads a few people mentioned the rims that you make/tweak are so much lighter a gain in fuel mileage was observed?? Is that true? I can't see the weight of a specialty rim being that different to effect mileage unless there were less friction in the bearings or something?

Besides possible mileage, is there any major benefits ordering rims from you vs the stock rims from my 2008 R1200GS Adventure?

Edit: Also I'd like to know your opinion as an expert, what kind of tires should I be looking at? I ride 30% off road and 60% on the street. I drove up a grassy hill the other day and my stock tires were slipping all the way so that just won't due. However, the majority of my street riding is highway use at around 90mph and I'm only in the city at the beginning/end of my trip. (Strange enough the potholes are worse in Chicago then what you'd find out on the trails...LOL!)

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TommyHolly screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 07:14 PM
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #2095
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Superlites = improved fuel economy...WOW!!

Quote:
OK cool, I was planning on buying a pair of Continental TKC-80s for my stock rims. The Front tire is 110/80B-19 and the Rear tire is 150/70B-17... hopefully those sizes are good.

In a few other threads a few people mentioned the rims that you make/tweak are so much lighter a gain in fuel mileage was observed?? Is that true? I can't see the weight of a specialty rim being that different to effect mileage unless there were less friction in the bearings or something? i learn something new everyday,,i do know the lighter wheels have better road compliance,,less un-sprung weight,better handling/steering characteristics...as many a road-racer has reported by improved lap-times....

Besides possible mileage, is there any major benefits ordering rims from you vs the stock rims from my 2008 R1200GS Adventure?
stronger ,lighter better looking for starters for not much more and sometimes less$$$ than oem wheel assys...

Edit: Also I'd like to know your opinion as an expert, what kind of tires should I be looking at? I ride 30% off road and 60% on the street. I drove up a grassy hill the other day and my stock tires were slipping all the way so that just won't due. However, the majority of my street riding is highway use at around 90mph and I'm only in the city at the beginning/end of my trip. (Strange enough the potholes are worse in Chicago then what you'd find out on the trails...LOL!)
try some..
michelin Anakees,,,80/20

Conti Escape

Pirelli scorpions

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 02:58 PM
Old 06-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #2096
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Woody,
You have wheels that are lighter and stronger? I went on your site and saw you "Superlace" existing wheels spreading the load which makes sense from an engineering standpoint. I really like that idea! Why are the wheels lighter for doing this or are you selling some sort of custom wheel brand new that I didn't see?

Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #2097
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

once upon atime i wanted a stronger /lighter better looking wheel,,

Quote:
Woody,
You have wheels that are lighter and stronger? I went on your site and saw you "Superlace" existing wheels spreading the load which makes sense from an engineering standpoint. I really like that idea! Why are the wheels lighter for doing this or are you selling some sort of custom wheel brand new that I didn't see?

here ya go ...you can see for your self,,and catch up a bit

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288592

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=1

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646947

woody
Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 AM   #2098
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,591
Woody-

I have a ding in the front rim from a 06 BMW K1200GT.

Do I need to remove the brake rotors before sending it in to you?

Its not terribly bent, but I can't stand the thought of having a front wheel out of wack.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #2099
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

we're here,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Woody-

I have a ding in the front rim from a 06 BMW K1200GT.

Do I need to remove the brake rotors before sending it in to you?

Its not terribly bent, but I can't stand the thought of having a front wheel out of wack.
i'm the same way,,,and am a little more anal about having every bit of sealing surface that's available be actually usable,,,why???? perhaps seeing the additional havoc wreaked when tubeless tires slip off the dented areas....

of course i also know that many a tire has gone miles on dented rims,,,,the game does change akin to playing russian roulette with a totally unloaded revolver and one with just one bullet in it
send or in ,,,same day next day turn around...

oops,,taking the rotors off is a good idea,,,minimizes chanc eof em getting bent along the way/saves a bit on postage too,,,mark em left n right though so ya keep the seated in pads n discs as sets

w

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 05:29 AM
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #2100
TommyHolly
Teaparty member

Quote:
try some..
michelin Anakees,,,80/20

Conti Escape

Pirelli scorpions

woody
The BMW Dealer said it would be stupid to put those Continental TKC-80s on because they fall apart at around 3,000 miles and are only good till about 4,500 at best.

They said the Anakees would be their best recommendation. I wish there was something more agressive that wouldn't fall apart so soon like that but oh well. I live in Chicago and the majority of my riding is on the streets anyway.