ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #2596
NeilP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON. Canada
Oddometer: 74
Hi Woody

Did Zach have any luck finding the spacer measurements for the RAD hubs with a Zipty shark fin on a KTM950 ADV.

Does the spacer length have to be exact or can it be a mm one way or another. I had one machined up just adding the difference between the stock and Zipty spacers (6.35mm), to the RAD with stock brake carrier dimensions (15.8mm)

Seems to work fine, but there is about a mm of space between the spacer and the swing arm when the swing arm bolt is loose. This pulls in when tightened down, but should there be no space at all so the swing arm doesn't move in when the bolt is tightened?

Thanks again
Neil
NeilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #2597
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
Zip Ty spacers

Hi Neil,

Yes, we did find out that the same spacer you made 22.15 mm would be the correct one to use.

We have an extra one if you need it, simply just the one Rad uses for the 990 adv, and SE's.

The mm=.040'' gap is ok as long as the rotor is aligned and not binding when you tighten it. Maybe the carrier from the zip-ty is a little narrower than the orginal carrier? They usually give you a little room to get the wheel in without forcing it between the swingarm.

Thanks zach


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
Hi Woody

Did Zach have any luck finding the spacer measurements for the RAD hubs with a Zipty shark fin on a KTM950 ADV.

Does the spacer length have to be exact or can it be a mm one way or another. I had one machined up just adding the difference between the stock and Zipty spacers (6.35mm), to the RAD with stock brake carrier dimensions (15.8mm)

Seems to work fine, but there is about a mm of space between the spacer and the swing arm when the swing arm bolt is loose. This pulls in when tightened down, but should there be no space at all so the swing arm doesn't move in when the bolt is tightened?

Thanks again
Neil
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #2598
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
ss spokes n nipples versus oem steel stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Originally Posted by charlie264
Woody. I want to replace the spokes on my KTM 950 Super Enduro, I whinged to my KTM dealer that all the spokes started to rust just after 12 months warranty of ownership.
I asked why KTM don’t use stainless steel spokes, I was told KTM don’t use SS spokes because they aren’t strong enough for the big KTM’s..... I thought at the time it was. Can you enlighten?

That's why the big Kahuna gave you a 'crap-detector',,,obviously they muat be ..cuz that's what i pretty much use everywhere,,,40 years in fact,,with nary a comeback or failure that wasn't attributable to some human error,,,,


Thanks for the info. Can I asked another question about SS spokes. For a direct replacement for my SE DID rims...

There are lots of grades of SS... You got that right!!.or do spokes tend to be the same grade No,,,and just increasing the thickness of SS spokes will give me the desired effect and strength as a direct swop.Sort of,,ya have to know the characteristics of what you are using,,and the desired outcome and then ya pick n choose the components to achieve the desired outcome. Super lace and excel rims...my horses wont go that far at the moment.
FYI,,,

1..ss n ss spoke nipple kit oem swap runs circa $125/kit = the same price for my trick x3 Superlace kit

2..buchanans custom lace is $110 vs my Superlace =$111 which includes blueprinting you wheel,,giving you my built in wisdom,,,ya get a 1 year warranty that nothing will come apart no matter what ya ride,where ya ride,,how hard ya ride on or of the street,,or where ya compete
WOW for an extra $1...that's why i don't offer any discounts,,,cuz we can lace n true 2-3 oem wheels in the same time it takes to give ya my ''Built to last technology!! ''

3..TRUTH be told,,you are'nt saving anything,,not to mention the extra peace of mind ya get for having on eof our masterpeices beneath ya

4..If ya want to do the work your self and want Superlace technology,,just send in your rim and we will re-drill and gountersink all your nipple holes for the x3 lace pattern

Look at your wheel after one year of service,,then look at this picture again,,your upgraded wheel will look like this years from now....There IS a difference.



woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 02:40 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 AM   #2599
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 7,525
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Can I asked another question about SS spokes. For a direct replacement for my SE DID rims...

There are lots of grades of SS... You got that right!!.or do spokes tend to be the same grade No,,,and just increasing the thickness of SS spokes will give me the desired effect and strength as a direct swop.Sort of,,ya have to know the characteristics of what you are using,,and the desired outcome and then ya pick n choose the components to achieve the desired outcome. Super lace and excel rims...my horses wont go that far at the moment.
Cheers Woody. As I'd love to take my rims off and send and spend to ya....itís a little impractical at the moment cos my bike is me only wheels. I realise knowledge is $$$, have no probs making a donation to the cause.

I am trying to establish what if any SS grade to use, also finding hard to source SS nipples, most suppliers only have brass/nickel plated. If I can get a set from yourself then thatís cool.

The reason for direct replacement is the last time I built a wheel was about 28 years ago..Iíd like to have another go and save some.
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #2600
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
what to do do to save money on self re-build???

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Cheers Woody. As I'd love to take my rims off and send and spend to ya....itís a little impractical at the moment cos my bike is me only wheels. I realise knowledge is $$$, have no probs making a donation to the cause.

I am trying to establish what if any SS grade to use, also finding hard to source SS nipples, most suppliers only have brass/nickel plated. If I can get a set from yourself then thatís cool.

The reason for direct replacement is the last time I built a wheel was about 28 years ago..Iíd like to have another go and save some.

hi from what you are telling me ,,the simplest thing is to sell ya an OEM size replacement ss n ss replacement kit,,,simply swap em out and re-true your wheel,,

if ya wanted the benefits of the stronger x3 superlace pattern well then ya need the holes in rim re-angled and countersunk,,= $30 drilling fee...but ya nee to give me the rim to do that...

so $125 + S&H and ana address to send the kit to and we're good to go

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #2601
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]
 
nat_han's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Singapore!
Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
FYI,,,

1..ss n ss spoke nipple kit oem swap runs circa $125/kit = the same price for my trick x3 Superlace kit

2..buchanans custom lace is $110 vs my Superlace =$111 which includes blueprinting you wheel,,giving you my built in wisdom,,,ya get a 1 year warranty that nothing will come apart no matter what ya ride,where ya ride,,how hard ya ride on or of the street,,or where ya compete
WOW for an extra $1...that's why i don't offer any discounts,,,cuz we can lace n true 2-3 oem wheels in the same time it takes to give ya my ''Built to last technology!!" ''

3..TRUTH be told,,you are'nt saving anything,,not to mention the extra peace of mind ya get for having on eof our masterpeices beneath ya

4..If ya want to do the work your self and want Superlace technology,,just send in your rim and we will re-drill and gountersink all your nipple holes for the x3 lace pattern

Look at your wheel after one year of service,,then look at this picture again,,your upgraded wheel will look like this years from now....There IS a difference.



woody
Dear ADV Riders and fellow Wheel Lovers,

Just some background info here..: I come from a tiny island in South East Asia, and chanced upon ADVrider.com when surfing the internet due to my liking for Adventure Motorcycles. I managed to find Woody, his thread, and his works in the "Vendors" section.

I soon became his customer when I bought a Caponord Tubeless Rim laced to RAD hubs for the BMW F800GS motorcycle. It was awesome just to look at those wheels. The build quality was second to none(blink blink SS material), the parts(spacers, bearings, hub size. etc) that came fitted my bike and dissolved any intial worry about compatibility.
The transformation of the bike in terms of its handling, on-road performance, traction, was what I had always wanted the 800GS to be in the first place.

I'd the opportunity of a lifetime to visit and stay with Woody from 20th of August for a week.. (till the 27th)
He is indeed an absolutely knowledgeable(can i say "fanatic"? heehee) wheel builder. I was given the chance to work alongside, see and experience for myself the quality of his shop and his workers for a couple of days. The folks over at WWW like Jill, Chris, Zac, Jeryl were kind and friendly.

To cut the story short, what I want to share here is that I witnessed first hand the WORK needed to be done for SUPERLACING(Sitting the nipples into Groves, Drilling the exact holes for nipple sitting, Hammering each of the 36 spokes to get 'em seated,etc..), TRUING( complex procedure for SUPERLACE and X-LACE... TAKE ALOT OF labour and time to get 1 set done), MACHINING the spacers to be inch perfect down to the thousandth of millimeters...
I had my hands on removing some of the bent rims from hubs, putting in new spokes and nipples to billet hubs on Excel Rims, preparing the wheel for Truing... Even removed the OEM Super Tenere 1200 spokes/nipples and fitted beefier SS ones onto the original hub and rim. You could definitely tell the difference in quality and strength with Woody's one on them.




Woody needs someone neutral(like me perhaps...) to shout and proclaim out LOUD that it is indeed money well-spend at WWW for the lacing, material and workmanship for all your rim and wheel needs ESP for the SUPERLACING portion. Most of the time we ask why the heck we're paying so much for just 2 wheels. I'm tellin you that after witnessing the process and time it takes for WWWs' staff to sort out all of their customers' wheels, it is DEFINITELY worth every single penny you're paying them.

There was once when we were having dinner(2nd night I was there) that I made a mistake and curiously asked Woody why he did not offer ADVrider Discounts(10% etc...) like other Vendors do...This was before I went to his shop and saw all of that....

You might think that I'm typing all these out as a form of expressing my thanks to Woody Wheels for what they'd given and done for me. And you know what? I can't change the way you think and judge!
But I hope you can read with zero prejudice, and give me the benefit of doubt(so to speak) that my views are coming from a totally neutral perspective.

PS: Woody, I'm so tempted(after all that looking and peeking) that I will have to start saving up for a set of 19" + 17" Excel 7000 Wheels, SS spoke and nipples, Superlaced and Sealed for Tubeless for my DR650SE.

Thanks and Ride Safe Guys!
nat
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #2602
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,611
Woody- can you shoot me a price on an excell rim, laced to a BMW R80 G/S rear wheel, triple cross supper lace if possible, double butted stainless spokes, 40 spoke count. Hub will be bare, less rim.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #2603
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
R80GS. Ok,,need to know what year and rim size???

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Woody- can you shoot me a price on an excell rim, laced to a BMW R80 G/S rear wheel, triple cross supper lace if possible, double butted stainless spokes, 40 spoke count. Hub will be bare, less rim.
Hi need a bit more info like what color rim ,,,diameter,,,,width,,,you or me build it ??? Heavy duty,bomb proof or ???

Holler,

Woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #2604
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 7,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
hi from what you are telling me ,,the simplest thing is to sell ya an OEM size replacement ss n ss replacement kit,,,simply swap em out and re-true your wheel,,

if ya wanted the benefits of the stronger x3 superlace pattern well then ya need the holes in rim re-angled and countersunk,,= $30 drilling fee...but ya nee to give me the rim to do that...

so $125 + S&H and ana address to send the kit to and we're good to go

woody
Cheers Woody.
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #2605
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Hi need a bit more info like what color rim ,,,diameter,,,,width,,,you or me build it ??? Heavy duty,bomb proof or ???

Holler,

Woody

Expecting you to read my mind-

1984 R 80 G/S- you to build on supplied hub only (no dissasembly needed), sand blast and paint hub, rear wheel ecxell rim, silver, stock rim size, heavy duty. ss spokes and nipples (double butted?? thicker at one end). You did this front so I'd like the rear similar. Not sure if the triple cross will work on the rear as the hub is kind of large (spokes are about 140mm). Like this pict but for the rear. Heavy duty is fine as the rear won't be put though the abuse like the front.



PS-any chance you have a front hub for a 1990 R100GS front hub, rim condition not important as I want the hub to build another wheel like above.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 12:49 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2606
TajMan
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 7
Hey!

I'm looking for a new rear-rim hoop only for my '05 YZ450f supermoto bike! What's on there currently is Behr Germany
17 X MT 5.00 (H2-10225-0204-E-DOT-D)

So a 17 X 5" supermoto hoop, doesn't need to be Behr but what else is available and how much will this cost?

what I've got on there now is pretty damn bent, dealer that sold me the bike forgot to mention and I didn't pay close enough attention bike is otherwise incredible..
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #2607
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
what other 5x17 supermoto rims are available for YZ450F???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMan View Post
Hey!

I'm looking for a new rear-rim hoop only for my '05 YZ450f supermoto bike! What's on there currently is Behr Germany
17 X MT 5.00 (H2-10225-0204-E-DOT-D)

So a 17 X 5" supermoto hoop, doesn't need to be Behr but what else is available and how much will this cost?

what I've got on there now is pretty damn bent, dealer that sold me the bike forgot to mention and I didn't pay close enough attention bike is otherwise incredible..

well :

1,,current silver undimpled rims double sig excels silver are listed @ $392, Buchanan has the special drilling equipment for these

2,,we have access to black excls dimpled for $369

3,,we probably have a variety of other rims in stock,,,we just got finished moving circa 1,000 rims to their new home,,they are in categories but not bar coded as of this minute,, will have Zach check on availability and $$ first thin gin morning

4,,ya didn't mention what color/brand preference/budget,,you or us gonna lace n true//do you want Superlace upgrades/better ss n ss spokes n nipples etc etc????
holler
woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #2608
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
R 80 G/S rear wheel build and front R100 G/S hubs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Expecting you to read my mind-

1984 R 80 G/S- you to build on supplied hub only (no dissasembly needed), sand blast and paint hub, rear wheel ecxell rim, silver, stock rim size, heavy duty. ss spokes and nipples (double butted?? thicker at one end). You did this front so I'd like the rear similar. Not sure if the triple cross will work on the rear as the hub is kind of large (spokes are about 140mm). Like this pict but for the rear. Heavy duty is fine as the rear won't be put though the abuse like the front.



PS-any chance you have a front hub for a 1990 R100GS front hub, rim condition not important as I want the hub to build another wheel like above.

Hey,

Yea like they say pics are worth a thousand words

On the rear we normally use heavy duty dual gauge stainless spokes, the cross 2 lace pattern is plenty strong. With a new excel 2.5 x18 with stainless spokes and nipples laced to your hub cleaned up would be 500 /600+ S&H.

We need to know if you have the X-laced tubeless hub or olde style. FYI ,,,we can make that version tubeless for $99.

We also have a nice front hub that we can build a complete wheel for you.New = $500+ ,,re-conditioned like your front circa $350 for re-peat customer

If you need to reserve it just email us at woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

thanks zach/woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 09:37 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2609
TajMan
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
well :

1,,current silver undimpled rims double sig excels silver are listed @ $392, Buchanan has the special drilling equipment for these

2,,we have access to black excls dimpled for $369

3,,we probably have a variety of other rims in stock,,,we just got finished moving circa 1,000 rims to their new home,,they are in categories but not bar coded as of this minute,, will have Zach check on availability and $$ first thin gin morning

4,,ya didn't mention what color/brand preference/budget,,you or us gonna lace n true//do you want Superlace upgrades/better ss n ss spokes n nipples etc etc????
holler
woody
What's on there currently:


Black would be good, but whatever cheaper is better.
I'm just looking for the 17X5 hoop, I will lace/use my spokes. Shipped to Utah 84010
Black excls dimpled for $369 is ok, I was hoping for something much cheaper but that's probably close to what I'm looking at huh..
Brand preference would be only the best top stuff, and I'd like to pay $140, but let's be realistic..
just LMK and I may be ready to make a purchase
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #2610
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,319
Straightening and re-true may be cheaper yet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMan View Post
What's on there currently:


Black would be good, but whatever cheaper is better.
I'm just looking for the 17X5 hoop, I will lace/use my spokes. Shipped to Utah 84010
Black excls dimpled for $369 is ok, I was hoping for something much cheaper but that's probably close to what I'm looking at huh..
Brand preference would be only the best top stuff, and I'd like to pay $140, but let's be realistic..
just LMK and I may be ready to make a purchase
FYI,,,you do KNOW that ''U bend it ,,we mend it"" has been a forte of ours since "73,,,do you have a pic of the bent area??? we routinely do about a 1,000 car and motorcycle straightening /repairs a year...circa $100-200 ,,send it in we call with rough estimate +/- $20.

if you are trying to keep cost down,,,S&H circa $20-25 each way UPS is but a day awway from you ,,2 max.,,and we are pretty quick with turn-around.

just sayin..
woody

PS,,,OOOPS,,,just realized you have a big 4stroke ,,,you are getting ready to go street riding,,,,if you'll be spending most of your time on the slab,,,you may want to consider investing in a cush drive rear hub....that non-cush hub of yours no matter who built it will have a proclivity to shear the sprocket lugs off....we have buckets of failed standard hubs accumulating every month....

pavement + non-cush hub + big bore $ stroke = failed hubs/spoke breakage/chain stretch/transmission damage....everything between the crankshaft and tire contact patch is affected,,,and the weakest link,,,well you all know that story
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 04:15 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014