Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #2611
TajMan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Well, you'd have to tell me, how bent of a rim can you straighten?
I just took it to a bike shop and spun it on a balancer, although the tire looked to spin mostly straight the rim appeared to be moderately bent different ways in multiple spots, worse than I was thinking it was.

Total ballpark estimate with one good curb hit and other bent spots, if I get the hoop off and mail it to you, about how much to straighten and send it back?

Cost of a cush drive hub? I'm not sure what I'll do with bike yet, but I'm thinking a DOT street tire will put less TQ stress on this hub than the racing slicks on there currently!
My bike has obviously been raced hard supermoto at miller motorsports park at least once or twice before..

Story on my bike is that it was a former '05 AMA supercross race bike #19 yamaha/graves!! Possibly Doug Henry's old bike!! Then either he raced it supermoto some, or somebody else converted it to supermoto at that point. It is not stock and it is insanely ridiculously quick, but its also hard for me to introduce tons of TQ from a stop, because it is geared so high (4spd for 120+) that you have to slip the clutch a lot in first gear to be able to take-off without killing the engine.
TajMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #2612
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
it's amazing what we can straighten:>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMan View Post
Well, you'd have to tell me, how bent of a rim can you straighten?

I just took it to a bike shop and spun it on a balancer, although the tire looked to spin mostly straight the rim appeared to be moderately bent different ways in multiple spots, worse than I was thinking it was.

Total ballpark estimate with one good curb hit and other bent spots, if I get the hoop off and mail it to you, about how much to straighten and send it back?

we prefer the wheel complete,,it is easier to find just where the bends are and correct it/check it,,,saves ya the trouble of dismanteling and R&R,,ya gotta pack the rim,,may as well be complete...if ya send a pic of bend it would be easier to guestimate.. gain i'll just say circa $150 +/- plus S&H [ was just informed circa $30]

Cost of a cush drive hub? $550 complete with sprocket carrier,,,plus a spoke kit circa $125I'm not sure what I'll do with bike yet, but I'm thinking a DOT street tire will put less TQ stress on this hub than the racing slicks on there currently!

most sticky street rubber will yield similar results....
My bike has obviously been raced hard supermoto at miller motorsports park at least once or twice before..

ya have to remember,,that on the competition scene,,every bit of weight ya save and where the weight is that ya save has an impact on handling and lap times,,FYI,,tubeless wheels are good for 1-2 seconds a lap in Supermoto race scene,,,so wheels/hubs are considered expendable...
even if you are gentle in your riding style/technique the big four stroke especially a hopped one delivers the BIG BANG @ 1,000 -10,000 times a minute

Story on my bike is that it was a former '05 AMA supercross race bike #19 yamaha/graves!! Possibly Doug Henry's old bike!! Then either he raced it supermoto some, or somebody else converted it to supermoto at that point. It is not stock and it is insanely ridiculously quick, but its also hard for me to introduce tons of TQ from a stop, because it is geared so high (4spd for 120+) that you have to slip the clutch a lot in first gear to be able to take-off without killing the engine.

perhaps a litle re-gearing is in order,,,replacing the gearing is less costly than replacing burned out clutch plates
hope ya can make some better decisions
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #2613
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Hey,

Yea like they say pics are worth a thousand words

On the rear we normally use heavy duty dual gauge stainless spokes, the cross 2 lace pattern is plenty strong. With a new excel 2.5 x18 with stainless spokes and nipples laced to your hub cleaned up would be 500 /600+ S&H.

We need to know if you have the X-laced tubeless hub or olde style. FYI ,,,we can make that version tubeless for $99.

We also have a nice front hub that we can build a complete wheel for you.New = $500+ ,,re-conditioned like your front circa $350 for re-peat customer

If you need to reserve it just email us at woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

thanks zach/woody
Guess I'll just leave the rear wheel alone for a while, got one rim w/ a small split at the spoke and may just keep an eye or two on it and replace when the crack gets larger, now it's very small.

So now I have two rear wheels and would like another front built up like the one pictured, Found a hub which needs bead blasting and painting $150!!!. I'm probably one of the few people that likes tubes, due to ease or repairing on the trail.

What do you charge to polish 40 spokes??? SO for a repeat customer can I get a break for another front wheel????? I'll call for exact #'$ once the hub arrives.

Thanks.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 06:12 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #2614
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

cracks in BMW dimple holes and,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Guess I'll just leave the rear wheel alone for a while, got one rim w/ a small split at the spoke and may just keep an eye or two on it and replace when the crack gets larger, now it's very small.

So now I have two rear wheels and would like another front built up like the one pictured, Found a hub which needs bead blasting and painting $150!!!. I'm probably one of the few people that likes rims, due to ease or repairing on the trail.

What do you charge to polish 40 spokes???
SO for a repeat customer can I get a break for another front wheel????? I'll call for exact #'$ once the hub arrives.

Thanks.
keep your eye on that crack,,this situation was endemic to that alloy rim,,the harder you use it the quicker they get the cracks in other dimples,,once the split/crack starts going from dimple to dimple is the time to park the bike,,,air pressure exerts an enormous amount of force outwards wanting to split the rim apart,,,we've had several Harley rims made in Italy as well as these BMW rims split down the middle

we get $40 for a set of 40 $60 for spokes & nipples

was that a 21"" or 19'' wheel we built..looks like that hub was from the earlier tube-type wheel...
holler when you are ready

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 09:20 AM
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2615
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
Leaky front

I have an 06 Husky TE 610 which has been running a Tubliss system for the last couple of years. Owner error, (meaning me) resulted in the failure of the inside high pressure tube. I've replaced the high pressure tube and the tire as it was time anyway, but now I can't get the thing to hold air.

The issue now, is I have an extra hole in the rim where the high pressure valve exited the wheel. I heard that you do some tire sealing, an alternative to Tubliss if you like. The question is, can you work with this wheel?

We're coming up on the start of the desert riding season, so I would like to have the wheel back by the end of the first week of October, is that doable?

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #2616
hahmule
Balding Gloriously

Oddometer: 591
I can't freakin believe it!

Please withdraw my info request, my front tire is fine.

FYI the reason the high pressure tube failed is because I overfilled it due to the failure of two, not one, tire gauges. I aborted my ride today because a third gauge gave a wildly inaccurate reading, aaaaarrrghh

Better to be a fast mule than a slow race horse.
hahmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #2617
TajMan
n00b

hey woody's wheel works
get the PM I sent you on friday?
-Taj
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #2618
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

answered in PM

Address of shop is:

2226 S. Jason St.
Denver, CO 80223

Quote:
hey woody's wheel works
get the PM I sent you on friday?
-Taj
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #2619
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Woody;
I have a 2005 KTM 640 Adventure and would like to put rim locks into the stock wheels.
Do you have any tips on drilling the rim to install the rim locks?
Would you recommend installing 1 or 2 rim locks on the rear?
What location, in relation to the valve stem, would you drill the hole?
What drill size would you use?

Thank you very much!

Cheers
Old 09-13-2012, 05:04 AM   #2620
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

rim lock location???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Woody;
I have a 2005 KTM 640 Adventure and would like to put rim locks into the stock wheels.
Do you have any tips on drilling the rim to install the rim locks?
lay wheel flat on table with valve stem close to you,,notice of orientatation of the spokes to left n right of valve stem,,, they form a V,,if using just one rim-lock we routinely drill 8mm = 5/16'' in the V opposite the valve stem,,when installing 2 rim locks we install one rim-lock in the adjacent V to L or R of valve stem and then the second one in the V opposite of the 1st rim-lock and valve stem..the idea being we want to counter-balance the combined weight of rim-lock + valve stem

Would you recommend installing 1 or 2 rim locks on the rear?
on little bikes ie 125 cc one rim lock is enough,,however bigger/ big torque warrant 2,,especially when running low ie below 20psi and/or if ya spend considerable time on the slab...the first notion to keep your tire from slipping on rim,,the second IMHO it makes for a smoother ride on the slab,,,folks traversing distances at higher speeds on the hiway will want balanced wheels to keep from hopping/thumping all over the place,,2 rim locks properly positioned will minimize the amount of wheel weights required when balancing,,if you only have one rim-lock installed ,you'll end up needing to put the equivalent amount of lead on your rim to get it to balance !!!,,,my take is ''i'd rather kill two birds with one stone,,ie install the extra rim lock for added insurance against tire spin/shifting and less weight when balancing
What location, in relation to the valve stem, would you drill the hole?
What drill size would you use?re-read above

Thank you very much!

Cheers
my pleasure

woody
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #2621
TajMan
n00b

Quote:
Address of shop is:

2226 S. Jason St.
Denver, CO 80223
I sent that out the other day, you should receive soon!
There was one spot from a curb-hit or something that I marked with some white window-paint-marker on the edge of the rim, side with the scuffs..

-Taj
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #2622
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
my pleasure

woody
Woody..............thank you so much for answering all my questions!

Cheers
Old 09-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #2623
TajMan
n00b

Thank you so much for the work on my wheel!
It was surprisingly straight when spun on the balancer before a new tire went on.
new Pilot Power 2ct

Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #2624
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 244
Eh? 2013 1190 adv tubeless

I'm not new to biking, been at it for ~ 33 yrs, but I've never been much of a wrencher, other than oil changes, and any DIY has been mostly cosmetic stuff, although as an owner of a new 990 ADV R, that is starting to change . Please excuse my noob ignorance here if my question is blatantly obvious to you and others: Following are the specs on the new 2013 1190 Adv R and I note they come with TUBELESS 21" front and 18" rear wheels. My ?-would these be interchangable or adaptable to the 950/990's? Would their new 'off-road' ABS tech matter?

(info from Chilly's Enduro360.com site)
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure R Specifications
  • LC8 V-twin engine with dual ignition, Keihin engine management, electronic fuel injection with drive-by-wire and slipper clutch. This is similar to the motor in the current RC8 model.
  • Power: 110 kW/150 hp, Torque: 125 Nm, 15.000 km of inspections, KTM also promises low power consumption
  • 235 kg fully fueled
  • Multistage Combined ABS BOSCH
  • BOSCH multi-Traction Control (MTC)
  • Modern VDO instrument cluster
  • Full WP USD forks with adjustable with separate compression and rebound
  • WP fully adjustable rear shock absorber
  • World’s first off-road modes for ABS and traction control.
  • Trellis frame
  • Tubeless tires on wire wheels – 90/90- 21 front, 150/60-18 rear
  • Footpegs, seat height, handlebar position and adjustable windshield
  • Modern VDO instrument package
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

elron screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 09:49 AM Reason: added pic
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #2625
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Spoke Wheel Repair

Our Pleasure, thanks for the business.

Chris

Quote:
Thank you so much for the work on my wheel!
It was surprisingly straight when spun on the balancer before a new tire went on.
new Pilot Power 2ct