ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #2881
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
The Excel rim's are a little stronger than the Saxess, they are made with a little stronger aluminum that is more resistant to bending.


Thanks Zach
Speaking of stronger rims, are the Excel's tougher than the Sun Rims or DID Dirtstars? How do they rank? Are there a couple of versions of Excels, I remember reading about A60s and the Takasago etc.
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2882
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gr8ridn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kern River Valley, CA
Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Rx = :
1,,send to WWW as you have described

2,,we'll measure runout before and after re-truing

3,,we'll essentially loosen R&R all grub screws

4,,loosen clean n lube all nipples #3 & 4 = circa $30

5,,align and re-true your wheel according to OUR specs/techniques = $150

6,, check if welded area divot is within our specs ie .035'' or less..if more we recommend repairing the divot = $30 per side

7,,QC check plus one year warranty = peace of mind

8,,return wheel to you ...circa 1-2 day turnaround this time of year


woody
I received my wheel today and it is fabulous. True as can be with no visible run-out in any direction. A quick test ride after mounting new tires verified all wobble and vibration ride symptoms have gone away

Great job with a fast turn around. Better than new.

Thanks Woody.
__________________
2013 R1200GS W
White, Enduro Pkg, Comfort Pkg, CC, Spoke Wheels
gr8ridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #2883
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
Spacing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
Thanks!

Will confirm the spacing and put the Excel wheelsets on the bike I am keeping.
Great, let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks Zach
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2884
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
Rim Strength!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Speaking of stronger rims, are the Excel's tougher than the Sun Rims or DID Dirtstars? How do they rank? Are there a couple of versions of Excels, I remember reading about A60s and the Takasago etc.
The Excel A60 rim's are the strongest rim's available, then there Takasago line is the next in strength. They also have the Notako line that is the same strength that they put on oem wheel's.

DID oem dirtstar's are the same strength as the Notako rim's, but are a little lighter, they STX rim's are supposed to be the same strength as the A60 rim's, but we've seen them all get bent when subjected to MX jumping and hard aggressive trail riding.

The sun rim's are the softest of all, they are lighter but aren't suggested for off-road use. They use a 6000 series aluminum, and are much softer than the excel rim's, which have been the standard for year's.

Thanks Zach
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #2885
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
Wheel Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ridn View Post
I received my wheel today and it is fabulous. True as can be with no visible run-out in any direction. A quick test ride after mounting new tires verified all wobble and vibration ride symptoms have gone away

Great job with a fast turn around. Better than new.

Thanks Woody.
Glad to be able to help everyone out. It's a pleasure to give you a much better ride like the wheel's should have in the beginning.

Thanks Zach
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #2886
EdGear
Edventurer
 
EdGear's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 540
Hi Woody

I had lots of fun in Death Valley last weekend. 350 miles in three days.
Southpass, Lippincott, White Top, Hunter, Darwin, Centennial Flats, Cerro Gordo, Salt Tram,
Panamint wash to Wildrose (extreme washouts near end), Pleasant Valley to Rogers Pass and Minietta Cabin.
The heavy rains in DV this summer made many sections more rocky and I hit lots of rocks.

I have your 1.85 Excel Takasago super laced front rim and I was running Dunlop 908RR with dunlop bib's.
Having the bibs maybe I was careless or maybe I was just having more fun riding harder.
I can tell I put some little dents in the rim because the bib lube leaked out. More leak indicates more of a dent.
Leak plus scratch on rim are the bigger impacts.

1 larger, 1 smaller


1 larger, 3 smaller


Its my first time with bibs and the traction was great. I am wondering about needing to repair the rim.
The dents are not that big but bib lube has leaked a bit.
Is the bib lube leak related to the single event where the bead was momentarily disrupted
or has the dent caused a less efficient bead/ rim seal?

Your thoughts?
__________________
Get out and ride
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - sold :(
2002 KTM 400/453 EXC
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #2887
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
Bib Mousse's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Hi Woody

I had lots of fun in Death Valley last weekend. 350 miles in three days.
Southpass, Lippincott, White Top, Hunter, Darwin, Centennial Flats, Cerro Gordo, Salt Tram,
Panamint wash to Wildrose (extreme washouts near end), Pleasant Valley to Rogers Pass and Minietta Cabin.
The heavy rains in DV this summer made many sections more rocky and I hit lots of rocks.

I have your 1.85 Excel Takasago super laced front rim and I was running Dunlop 908RR with dunlop bib's.
Having the bibs maybe I was careless or maybe I was just having more fun riding harder.
I can tell I put some little dents in the rim because the bib lube leaked out. More leak indicates more of a dent.
Leak plus scratch on rim are the bigger impacts.

1 larger, 1 smaller


1 larger, 3 smaller


Its my first time with bibs and the traction was great. I am wondering about needing to repair the rim.
The dents are not that big but bib lube has leaked a bit.
Is the bib lube leak related to the single event where the bead was momentarily disrupted
or has the dent caused a less efficient bead/ rim seal?

Your thoughts?
Glad to see your are using the wheel's to their potential. The issue with the bib Mousse is that it run's like it has very low pressure, so it's easy for the tire to flatten and hit the rim more direct when hitting harder terrain. It does look like they are a little bent on the lip's but if it's still spinning straight and all the spokes are tight it will be fine, they don't look big enough to make a difference.

They probably lost the lube when it hit the object and if they are bigger bend's then the lube will come out more because it's not allowing the tire to seal all the way.

If you would like to get it straightened, it would be around 60-80 to straighten/true the wheel + tire change and shipping.

If you are riding more aggressive and a lot off-road, it would be stronger to get the 21 x 1.6 Excel A60 rim if you are bending the wider rim still. It's better to run tire pressure above 25 psi on the bigger bike's or it's easier to bend the wider rim's.

Thanks Zach
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #2888
EdGear
Edventurer
 
EdGear's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 540
Zach
Thanks for the reply, sent you a PM
__________________
Get out and ride
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2006 KTM 640 Adventure - sold :(
2002 KTM 400/453 EXC
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #2889
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL
 
JaxObsessed's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: From Alabama to Newfoundland it's all Appalachian
Oddometer: 8,983
Hey there WWW/Zach

I have an 05 F650gs that I am putting the forks from a 05 YZ450 .... on.
I plan on using a yamaha YZ hub rotor and caliper. My problem is that I love the 19" size wheel that is OEM BMW. I just don't do enough technical off road to justify the OEM YZ 21" skinny tire, and its road manners are right where I want them.
can you lace up a 19" Excel with a yammy hub for me?

I am also interested in getting a matching rear excel laced to a 17" BMW rear hub.

I could get away with the Takasago on both, but would also like to explore the A60 rims. about half the reason for doing these upgrades is weight and strength.... Is there a diffference in the weight between A60 and Takasago?

I really appreciate the contribution WWW has made to the ADV community, so I thought I would come here first.

Thanks
Jack
__________________
Give a Monkey a Brain and He'll Swear He's the Center of the Universe - FishboneSupport FREE ADVrider.com and Save 5$ on SmugMug photo/video hosting use coupon code: wzcRcH8JxnyAI
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #2890
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
converting '05 YZ450 21'front to 19'' on '05 F650gs +rear rim swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Hey there WWW/Zach

I have an 05 F650gs that I am putting the forks from a 05 YZ450 .... on.
I plan on using a yamaha YZ hub rotor and caliper. My problem is that I love the 19" size wheel that is OEM BMW. I just don't do enough technical off road to justify the OEM YZ 21" skinny tire, and its road manners are right where I want them.
can you lace up a 19" Excel with a yammy hub for me?NO problemos senor

I am also interested in getting a matching rear excel laced to a 17" BMW rear hub. No problemos senor....

I could get away with the Takasago on both, but would also like to explore the A60 rims. about half the reason for doing these upgrades is weight and strength.... Is there a diffference in the weight between A60 and Takasago?

FYI....yes the A-60s are stronger and lighter..unfortunately not available in the sizes ya need[there's an outside chance we could use a rear 2.15x19 rear A60 and modify it for front,,,AND there are no matching rear sizes in A60..

IMHO,,,let's use a 2.5x19 front Excel and a matching 3.5 or 4.25x17 rear,,,Superlace it with ss spokes and shed the weight by sealing em for tubeless....that'll give you MORE bang for your $$$$

I really appreciate the contribution WWW has made to the ADV community, so I thought I would come here first.

Thanks
Jack
holler when you are ready to drop the hammer

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #2891
wrenchedit
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: in transit
Oddometer: 5
KTM 950 2nd set of wheels

Hi Woody & Crew -

I'd like to ride my 950 all winter, and would like to make changing summer/winter tires easy by having each as a full built set. So, 2 questions:

1 - what can I expect to pay for a fully built set of rims (bearings, seals, spacers, sprocket, brake disc, etc.) for front & rear?

2 - any recommendations on studded winter tires for street use? I don't plan to go ice racing (at least not this winter!)

Thanks!
wrenchedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #2892
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
Winter/summer wheel set-up for 950....$$$,,,???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchedit View Post
Hi Woody & Crew -

I'd like to ride my 950 all winter, and would like to make changing summer/winter tires easy by having each as a full built set. So, 2 questions:

1 - what can I expect to pay for a fully built set of rims (bearings, seals, spacers, sprocket, brake disc, etc.) for front & rear?

2 - any recommendations on studded winter tires for street use? I don't plan to go ice racing (at least not this winter!)

Thanks!
Well that's a question few have posed,,,,I usually steer people to solutions optimizing on/off-road capabilities.

If you are satisfied with the 21/18 set up you are currently sporting(I'm assuming that's what you are riding on)

Then the most cost effective way to get a spare set would be finding some good used take off wheels circa $800-1k from what I've usually seen em go for...I'll check to see what's in my storage bin..

We could also build ya a cost conscious set....IMHO,,,since you'll be riding in snow/wet/gravel-salty-bromide covered roads,,,,,,you'd be better off with wheels that sport ss spokes and nipples,,,well anodized or powder coated rims and hubs and bearings re-packed with waterproof grease.

Around my neck of the woods(Rocky Mountains),,,I think the ice-racers tend toward 19/18 tire combos..studded with Kold-Kutter carbide screws. They don't allow the spikes used in Canada/Finland/Russia

Perhaps some of the all winter riders can chime in on what works for them...I'm sorry that I don't have time today to list all the other options available to ya

Keep me posted,
Woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #2893
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer
 
Drunk_Uncle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 1,921
Woody,

Are the rims of wire wheels location specific? I am thinking of buying a Tiger 800 XC and thought about have a 19" front wheel made for road riding and keeping off road tire on the 21". I am finding rear 19" 36 rims on ebay fairly cheap. Could you lace these into a factory hub?
__________________
"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"
'13 Tiger 800XC, '13 KLR 650, and a 2010 Honda NT700V for the wife.
Drunk_Uncle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #2894
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,261
cheap rims on ebay for converting 21'' to 19'' front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Woody,

Are the rims of wire wheels location specific? I am thinking of buying a Tiger 800 XC and thought about have a 19" front wheel made for road riding and keeping off road tire on the 21". I am finding rear 19" 36 rims on ebay fairly cheap. Could you lace these into a factory hub?
we can laceall wheel conversions provided:

1,,same number of spokes in rim n hub
2,,the indexing matches your hub,,,on std style hubs we can flip spoke pattern/index readily
3,,nipple hole diameter is compatible with available nipples
4,,spoke angle in rim matches the spoke pattern/the diameter and width of your hub.

FYI: we can modify the angle within safe parameters.

so i'd really need to see the rim you have AND the hub you plan on using to confirm the feasiblity of the conversion.

holler
woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 AM   #2895
HunSolo
Mad Monk
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cowtown Oregon.
Oddometer: 354
Hey Woody and Zach,

My son and I have HP2 enduros. You built me a 19" front that I like a lot. I'm planning on giving a 19"-17" GSA wheel set to my son for his bike. Do you still turn the front GSA hubs to remove the second set of brake disc mounts? If so, is that still a hundred dollar bill?

Thanks
HunSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014