Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #2926
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
I have a front wheel question about my R80 to R100 project. I have an old R80 that I am putting a newer set of R100gspd forks on. The R80 wheels are tube type, while the R100gspd are tubeless. I managed to find an R100 hub, which is inbound to me, and I'd like to send the hub to Woody's to get a tube type front rim laced to it. The front tire size on the R80 is 90/90-21. What width rim should I be looking for? Any spoke count intricacies I should be aware of? Anything else?

This isn't a concours restoration - it's intended to be a ride everyday I can sort, and I am sourcing used parts whereever I can and it makes sense....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #2927
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Hi,

Look's like it's ready to tackle any terrain now. Give us some update's on your project.

Thanks Zach and everyone here says Merry Xmas to all.

Just added my wheel lace update to the thread. Linky

Looks like scudrunner and I have the same truing stand.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #2928
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 517
Just sent out my rim. You guys should have it by Friday.

Thanks

Jon
Quote:
hi Jon,,,smart decision...Zach is over there now,,we've got too much stuff going on ,,so though officially closed to the second ,,most of the my elves /troopies are over there hustling away... when ya send in the rim just tell us for what year bike/brand it's for
happy rest of the holidays
and thanks for your biz
woody

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #2929
JakeTJCJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
KLR 650 Hack wheel

I was looking to build an 18" front rim for my 2006 KLR650 with Sidecar. Do you have any used hubs? If I can find a donor hub what would be a base cost just for standard lace and everything? Thanks for the info.
JakeTJCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #2930
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Oddometer: 41
18 x 3,5" rim

I have a second pair of wheels for my KTM990 which I use for off roading.

The stock rear 4.25 rim being too wide for knobbies, I am looking to replace it with a 2,5"or 3,5" rim.

After inquiring at the Dutch Excel reps (a reputable company with a good name) they told me that to their knowledge there is no Excel 18 x 3,5"rim

This makes me wonder; is this true indeed? If so, what rim is the choice for those who want a 3,5"? Another brand? Or an Excel 17 x 3,5"?

Btw, I am not so much looking for pro's/cons of 2,5 vs 3,5, there is a thread somewhere about that.

Just curious about what people use when they convert to 18x3,5"

thanks,
squadraquota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #2931
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
Just sent out my rim. You guys should have it by Friday.

Thanks

Jon

Got my wheel back with new spokes the other day. Fantastic! Laced up perfect! Nothing but good things to say about Woodys. You guys do awesome work, and I will be contacting you again when I address the rear rim.

Thanks!

Jon

Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:44 AM   #2932
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,298
3.5x18 excel rim 36 0r 40hole,,we have em ,,what color???

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadraquota View Post
I have a second pair of wheels for my KTM990 which I use for off roading.

The stock rear 4.25 rim being too wide for knobbies, I am looking to replace it with a 2,5"or 3,5" rim.

After inquiring at the Dutch Excel reps (a reputable company with a good name) they told me that to their knowledge there is no Excel 18 x 3,5"rim

This makes me wonder; is this true indeed? If so, what rim is the choice for those who want a 3,5"? Another brand? Or an Excel 17 x 3,5"?

Btw, I am not so much looking for pro's/cons of 2,5 vs 3,5, there is a thread somewhere about that.

Just curious about what people use when they convert to 18x3,5"

thanks,
well look no further,,,,we use this rim on our 50-50 set ups ...ie wheel width for best all-around use....want optimal off road performance then go for narrower 2.5''

cost is $260 in silver add $75 for strip and re-anodize satin black..I'll check if we got some OEM excel rims in black...if we do then they'll be candy apple gloss black,,have all the excel logos in yellow on them..don't know price off the top of my head...

let us know if ya want them SUPERLACED to make sure we have the nipple holes drilled correctly

OBTW,,we can seal the wheels for tubeless =$99 with one year warranty

holler when you are ready,,sorry for the delay in answering ,,i was out of town,,or perhaps just out of my mind
woody

PS..just realized/remembered that ya have an ''off road set'' well why not make this set your ''road set''...and if that's the case heed my recommendation and go to post #1 on this link:\http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439443

welcome to the wild and wacky and most gratifying conversion of your 990 to a 2.5x19/4.25 x17 set up..you will never regret doing so
tis the only set-up that goes beyond the hype in satisfaction and grins

so mind boggling that i offer a money back guaranty if you aren't satisfied!!!
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 01:25 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #2933
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

front 18'' rim relace to OEM hub for KLR650 side-car rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTJCJ View Post
I was looking to build an 18" front rim for my 2006 KLR650 with Sidecar. Do you have any used hubs? If I can find a donor hub what would be a base cost just for standard lace and everything? Thanks for the info.
sorry for delayed answer...

1,,,will check if we have any new/used klr650 front hubs..we may also have some RAD hubs....they are about the same price but stronger,,, ie 6061 billet vs oem cast

2,,FYI,,you'll want to build the strongest wheel possible any time you run a sidecar...we lace em different and use real beefy spokes,,,WHY???,,,because sidecar rigs place unbelieveable lateral forces especially if ya fly your rig around corners.... ie,going around the corner with the sidecar up in the air....

3,,minimally ya need a custom lace n true=$99 + parts

4,,optimally you want the SUPERLACE=$111 + parts with one year warranty

5,,hubs circa $250,,rim used $50-150 depending on shape new $200-300 depending on size / color /brand

holler when you're ready

merry new year n thanks for asking
woody
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #2934
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Quote:
well look no further,,,,we use this rim on our 50-50 set ups ...ie wheel width for best all-around use....want optimal off road performance then go for narrower 2.5''

cost is $260 in silver add $75 for strip and re-anodize satin black..I'll check if we got some OEM excel rims in black...if we do then they'll be candy apple gloss black,,have all the excel logos in yellow on them..don't know price off the top of my head...

let us know if ya want them SUPERLACED to make sure we have the nipple holes drilled correctly

OBTW,,we can seal the wheels for tubeless =$99 with one year warranty

holler when you are ready,,sorry for the delay in answering ,,i was out of town,,or perhaps just out of my mind
woody

PS..just realized/remembered that ya have an ''off road set'' well why not make this set your ''road set''...and if that's the case heed my recommendation and go to post #1 on this link:\http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439443

welcome to the wild and wacky and most gratifying conversion of your 990 to a 2.5x19/4.25 x17 set up..you will never regret doing so
tis the only set-up that goes beyond the hype in satisfaction and grins

so mind boggling that i offer a money back guaranty if you aren't satisfied!!!
Thanks for the info and your advice.

My extra set of wheels is what i use for off road and thus the one i want to convert. I will leave the stock wheels as they are. Did a 21 to 19 conversion on my Guzzi and know the benefits
But its not the first thing i am looking for with the KTM. Right now i want to get. of the 4,25 rim.

So, i will take your and others advice and convert to a 2,5
Would love to have that done at Woody's but i live in Europe. The added cost for sending my wheel stateside and back to Europe again, plus the risk of having to pay taxes are just too high. But your advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Out of curiosity, if someone wants a 18 x 3,5, what rim would that be? Excel or sun? Just curious, since the dutch excel reps say they are not aware excel makes this size
Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #2935
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's what I/we can do for you to convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadraquota View Post
Thanks for the info and your advice.

My extra set of wheels is what i use for off road and thus the one i want to convert. I will leave the stock wheels as they are. Did a 21 to 19 conversion on my Guzzi and know the benefits
But its not the first thing i am looking for with the KTM. Right now i want to get. of the 4,25 rim.

So, i will take your and others advice and convert to a 2,5
Would love to have that done at Woody's but i live in Europe. The added cost for sending my wheel stateside and back to Europe again, plus the risk of having to pay taxes are just too high. But your advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Out of curiosity, if someone wants a 18 x 3,5, what rim would that be? Excel or sun? Just curious, since the dutch excel reps say they are not aware excel makes this size
here's what we can do for you

1,,send you 2.5x18 EXCEL black =$292 +S&H for oem/stock lace pattern [ you can re-use your oem spokes n nipples

2,,send you 3.5x18 Excel black =$335 +S&H same as above

3 we can send beefy SS sples n nipple n nipple kit for OEM size or SUPERLACE SET -up = $128/kit

FYI:
1,,we can pre=drill/countersink your rim for SUPERLLACE = $30 NOTE you will need the SUPERLACE spoke kit for that...super tough set up

2,,,both rims in silver are $75 less expensive !!!,,ie $217/2.5'' or $260 for 3.5''

3,, S&H circa $70 +/-

let us know...
woody
Old 01-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #2936
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
So... Have you all cooked up any magic wheels for the ktm 1190 adv r yet? I just got some knobbies installed but keep hearing about the weakness of the stick saxxes tubeless wheels. Will there be a stronger solution that remains tubeless and allows keeping tpms?
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:09 AM   #2937
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

stronger tubeless wheels for KTM-1190 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloktmGS View Post
So... Have you all cooked up any magic wheels for the ktm 1190 adv r yet? I just got some knobbies installed but keep hearing about the weakness of the stock Behr/Saxxes tubeless wheels. Will there be a stronger solution that remains tubeless and allows keeping tpms?
hi,,,,i'm researching these allegations,,,it wouldn't surprise me that Saxess once more reverted to the softer alloys of yore.,,So before i stick my foot in mouth i'll check out these new OEM rims strength....

Building stronger wheels is no problem for me,,,the 'blueprinting' techniques i use and the selection of componentry are no mystery to me...so yes i can build you stronger wheels and seal for tubeless...AND keep TPM function

FYI,,am working on getting an even stronger alloy rims made in the sizes i want...ie 2.5x19,,,2.5x18,,,1.85x21 ,,,3.5x17and 3.5x18

will keep ya posted...

OBTW,,did you already bend yours???,,,and is there a link to the horror tales of these new 19/17s bending..???,,I'd appreciate that.

holler n thanks ahead of time,..
woody

PS,,,check out this link...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1

It has all the options available to ya,,,FYI,,,we have transformed most all the ADV bikes out there....ie bikes equipped with 19/17s ,,great for street burning get optimized for dirt riding by switching to 21'' front BWOE..so if ya tell me more about where and how hard ya ride,,i may come up with different suggestions....BWOE,,,keep your current configuration for road-work and a stronger purpose built off-road set.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM   #2938
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
hi,,,,i'm researching these allegations,,,it wouldn't surprise me that Saxess once more reverted to the softer alloys of yore.,,So before i stick my foot in mouth i'll check out these new OEM rims strength....

Building stronger wheels is no problem for me,,,the 'blueprinting' techniques i use and the selection of componentry are no mystery to me...so yes i can build you stronger wheels and seal for tubeless...AND keep TPM function

FYI,,am working on getting an even stronger alloy rims made in the sizes i want...ie 2.5x19,,,2.5x18,,,1.85x21 ,,,3.5x17and 3.5x18

will keep ya posted...

OBTW,,did you already bend yours???,,,and is there a link to the horror tales of these new 19/17s bending..???,,I'd appreciate that.

holler n thanks ahead of time,..
woody

PS,,,check out this link...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1

It has all the options available to ya,,,FYI,,,we have transformed most all the ADV bikes out there....ie bikes equipped with 19/17s ,,great for street burning get optimized for dirt riding by switching to 21'' front BWOE..so if ya tell me more about where and how hard ya ride,,i may come up with different suggestions....BWOE,,,keep your current configuration for road-work and a stronger purpose built off-road set.

Well, I bought the R model with a 21" front and a 4.5x18 rear. After much discussion with the mitas folks, I ordered a 150/70-18 Mitas E09 for the rear and a 90/90-21 tkc 80 for the front. There was some concern about the 4.5 rim but ultimately it was within the specs. There weren't many options for this size rear in a knobby, as apparently the tkc, in this size, tubeless isn't available yet (but soon). I've only got 200 miles of dirt roads so far on the bike as Missouri winter has been rough. Today, however, we're doing a long day ride if rougher terrain and I'm cautiously waiting to see how they hold up. We ride lots of road miles and plenty of rough trails better suited for 450's. Rocks are about all we have here in the Ozarks, but will be going to do the COBDR in late June this year. Glad to know there's options.
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #2939
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
Got my wheel back with new spokes the other day. Fantastic! Laced up perfect! Nothing but good things to say about Woodys. You guys do awesome work, and I will be contacting you again when I address the rear rim.

Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Glad we can be of help with your wheel project's, let us know if you ever have any questions.

Thanks Zach
Old 01-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #2940
squadraquota
mostly harmless

Quote:
here's what we can do for you

1,,send you 2.5x18 EXCEL black =$292 +S&H for oem/stock lace pattern [ you can re-use your oem spokes n nipples

2,,send you 3.5x18 Excel black =$335 +S&H same as above

3 we can send beefy SS sples n nipple n nipple kit for OEM size or SUPERLACE SET -up = $128/kit

FYI:
1,,we can pre=drill/countersink your rim for SUPERLLACE = $30 NOTE you will need the SUPERLACE spoke kit for that...super tough set up

2,,,both rims in silver are $75 less expensive !!!,,ie $217/2.5'' or $260 for 3.5''

3,, S&H circa $70 +/-

let us know...
woody
Hi Woody,

thanks for the offer, but with the shipping fee I would be spending more than getting a 2,5" locally. That is without the chance that customs will be charging me with VAT and import tax :-(

your advice is appreciated though, would certainly have come to Woody's if I would be in the US of A.