Old 02-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #2971
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
Spokes for Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldron View Post
Howdy.

I need two new spokes for a front wheel, and I cannot find out what size to order. Would you be able to find out? Is there a way to measure them and use that?

It's a 19" stock wheel on a 1995 Ducati Elefant. The spokes are stainless I believe.

Thank you

Hi,

The easiest way to get the spec's would be to take an old spoke out and measure the overall lenght underneath the spoke head to the end of the thread. Also measure the width of the spokes to ensure the gauge of the spokes. If you need nipples you will also want to measure the width of the nipple and the lenght as well.

We don't have this wheel spec in stock, but can figure out if you can give us a call to order some spokes.

Thanks Zach
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #2972
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

KTM 1190 Wheel Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Woody,
Wondering if you've had an 1190 wheel to peruse and see what you'd be able to do with it in regards to the Superlace as well as sealing for tubeless. Ill be getting a standard 1190 and know they are tubeless stock. Though only 2 of many bikes sold, read where guys had problems with the OEM seal around the center and could not get a good seal with tubeless.

I had a set of your sealed wheels on a GSA and no issues. Looking at staying stock, not riding more than moderate dirt within the standard capability but mostly street. Just thinking of a set-up that would leave no concern of damaging the OEM seal strip or TPMS.

Also read a few posts back where you could build a set of wheels with slightly narrower rim but looking to stay with OEM for now. But if I were, what would that involve? Use the 1190 hub and you bulid a wheel around it?

Thanks for any info.

Hi,

We can superlace the oem wheel's and use our sealing technique to have a tubeless wheel with the oem rim/hub. If you want a stronger rim we can use 19 x 2.5, 17x 4.25 excel rim's for more dual sport riding and more tire selections' as well. It would be around $1,000-1200 for part's/labor, depending on what we used.

We have also heard of the 21/18 wheel's having issues with the oem seal, but in our opinion any more aggressive off-road should be used with tube's especially if you drop the tire pressure.

We can superlace the oem wheel's and re-use the oem seal's and TPMS but it's recommended to buy a new seal from KTM to ensure it will work.

Thanks Zach
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #2973
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
Hi,

The easiest way to get the spec's would be to take an old spoke out and measure the overall lenght underneath the spoke head to the end of the thread. Also measure the width of the spokes to ensure the gauge of the spokes. If you need nipples you will also want to measure the width of the nipple and the lenght as well.

We don't have this wheel spec in stock, but can figure out if you can give us a call to order some spokes.

Thanks Zach
I called and gave all the dimensions. Thank you.

Cauldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #2974
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,901
Spokes showed up today. I finished lacing the wheel, and realized I didn't have a spoke wrench.. I cut a slot in the handle of my 17mm axle wrench, and it works perfect.

I've never trued a wheel before, but it went well, and the tire is mounted now. Sharpies and patience helped a bunch!

Thank you Woody's Wheel Works for everything.

Cauldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #2975
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 7,038
I am in need of new front rim for my F800GS, the butter Behrs are definitely not up to the task of off road riding. I don't intend to stop riding off the beaten path, so I would like to upgrade the rim...front only for now till I can get more $$$

So my question is this...in your experience, who makes the stronger rim? Excel or Sun?

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #2976
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

That's an easy answer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8 View Post
I am in need of new front rim for my F800GS, the butter Behrs are definitely not up to the task of off road riding. I don't intend to stop riding off the beaten path, so I would like to upgrade the rim...front only for now till I can get more $$$

So my question is this...in your experience, who makes the stronger rim? Excel or Sun?
Excel
And we have anything ya need for the upgrade...

Woody
Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #2977
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Job Opportunities at Woody's Wheel Works

Have a couple job openings here at Woody's Wheel Works.

One for Service Writer, see posting here: http://denver.craigslist.org/csr/4362014156.html

Another for Tire/Wheel tech that can see here: http://denver.craigslist.org/lab/4338076695.html

Also, taking resume's and interest for someone interested in learning everything about wire wheels. We are in need of another wire wheel technician and this is a chance to learn from the best and build some of the strongest wheels around. In the process there is an opportunity to learn how to true BMW x-laced wheels & other tricks from Woody. This position requires someone with above average technical skills, but willing to get hands dirty when necessary.

You must have:
Positive Attitude
Be Driven
Take Initiative
Be On Time
And above all.....Integrity
...we never ,,,ever forget that our customers trust us with their lives and their hard earned $$$$

You can reply via the individual ads mentioned above, or PM.

Thanks,
Chris

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 04:12 PM
Old 03-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #2978
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,980
Woody - A friend swears by Simple Green for getting winter crud off her rims, but I heard somewhere it had some nasty side effects. Did I read that here? If so, what was the issue?

TIA, Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #2979
houlster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Woody,

I've got a set of tubeless Excel wheels running tubeless tires, but the bike came from the factory with tubes.

This is the front. It has what looks like a protector / seal in the rim. I'm guessing it's just for protecting the tube though & not sealing the wheel. It's kind of a hard material, not rubber. I don't think it'll come off without cutting.

I was expecting these to be tubeless until I did the first tire change. Can I expect these to actually be air-tight? Or to need to cut off the protector ring in there and seal like you and/or one of the multiple threads here show?

thx
--Dan
houlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #2980
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Simple Green to use or not to use on your anodized rims????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Woody - A friend swears by Simple Green for getting winter crud off her rims, but I heard somewhere it had some nasty side effects. Did I read that here? If so, what was the issue?

TIA, Pete
hi pete et al,,
Simple Green does work great for removing all kinds of stuff,,,AND perhaps works too good ,,because it also will affect the surface and often leaves it looking stained /smudged/discolored/streaks etc...it affects some anodized surfaces worse than others...

a product called SS100 is far more benevolent.

woody
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #2981
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Tubeless or not for tubeless???

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlster View Post
Woody,

I've got a set of tubeless Excel wheels running tubeless tires, but the bike came from the factory with tubes.

This is the front. It has what looks like a protector / seal in the rim. I'm guessing it's just for protecting the tube though & not sealing the wheel. It's kind of a hard material, not rubber. I don't think it'll come off without cutting.

I was expecting these to be tubeless until I did the first tire change. Can I expect these to actually be air-tight? Or to need to cut off the protector ring in there and seal like you and/or one of the multiple threads here show?

thx
--Dan

looking at the rim itself it sports the safety bead ,,,hence capable of tubeless tire use....now the protector ring could have the dimples sealed underneath,,,i can see the nipples are not the Alpina tubeless nipples...and the rim band does look like a standard tube type rim-band...

sooo was there a tube in the tire when you dismantled it???

and yes,,you can seal for tubeless using any of the techniques discussed in the forums ,,,

we do it all for $99ea parts n labor,,,one year warranty.....

OBTW...the 21014 KTMs come tubeles from what i hear ,,,sporting a special rubber sealant strip....ala the ones used on their rear super motard set-ups...the rim has aspecial groove machiined that allows the precision rubber sealing strip to seal the spokes.

woody
Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #2982
houlster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
looking at the rim itself it sports the safety bead ,,,hence capable of tubeless tire use....now the protector ring could have the dimples sealed underneath,,,i can see the nipples are not the Alpina tubeless nipples...and the rim band does look like a standard tube type rim-band...

sooo was there a tube in the tire when you dismantled it???

and yes,,you can seal for tubeless using any of the techniques discussed in the forums ,,,

we do it all for $99ea parts n labor,,,one year warranty.....
woody
Thanks woody. Yes, the tubes were there from the factory & I'm thinking of going tubeless. I just wanted to verify what I had to start out with.

--Dan
houlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #2983
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
19" Front a Rim for DR650

Good morning

Interested in getting a spare front hub laced to a 19" rim for a DR650?

What do ow need to do to make this happen?

Regards

RealOldDualSportGuy screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 12:00 PM
RealOldDualSportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #2984
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
Good morning

Interested in getting a spare front rim laced to a 19" rim for a DR650?

What do ow need to do to make this happen?

Regards

I'm thinking about the same thing for my DR350. Can you lace a wheel to my stock front hub? I plan to run the stock rear as is.

I'm not looking for super high performance supermoto, but I like the look and want the smaller front for when I go ride the twisties. Plus, I have an extra wheelset for my knobbies.......

Thanks

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #2985
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Ditto

What AST said