Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #2986
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
19'' wheel's for dirt bike's and Dual sport's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
Good morning

Interested in getting a spare front hub laced to a 19" rim for a DR650?

What do ow need to do to make this happen?

Regards

Hi,

Converting the front to a 19'' would be a great mod. to get a better street machine, while still working good off-road and supplying a wider range of tire choice's as well.

We would be able to lace a 19 x 2.5 or 19 x 2.15 onto your oem hub with stainless steel spokes/nipples. It would be $475 + shipping for superlace with stainless steel spokes/nipples and a new 19 x 2.5 silver excel.

We can also seal the 2.5 x 19 excel rim's for tubeless tire's using our sealing process, it's only $99 extra per wheel to seal ea. wheel.

Thanks Zach

A few more ideas from woody,,just got back in town....

FYI,,,we can check if we have some good used rims and/ or spokes,,you could save another $10 for regular custom lace IMHO,,you do you want beefier spokes...and standard or custom the kit is same price....

FYI,,,there are no 2.15 rims with safety beads for sealing /tubeless application.

FYI,,,the optimal tire on 2.5 x19 rim is 120/80x19 A-OK on the 650,,may be overkill for the smaller 350,,,it would work provided ya have 120+mm between fork tubes,,,a smaller tire may be better for the 350 circa 100/80 or 90 x19.....why carry all that extra rotational mass around...

Years ago roadracing RD-350/400s i thought bigger was better,,,i learned too big meant i couldn't accelerate /decelerate as fast...ya ahve to find the happy medium between putting all the power to the ground at all lean angles AND still have a light tire/rim/wheel combo

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 09:49 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #2987
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 903
I got a superlaced wheel with RAD hub you made for me couple of years ago which I bent a few times (because of my bad suspensions setup). I got a 1.85" Excel rim in the mail from you today. You drilled it beautifully. I am trying to replace the bent 2.15" Excel of the superlaced with the new rim.

I have been trying to lace this up for the past three hours.

I started lacing up one side completely and then the other. Is that the right way?

by the time I reach the last 8 or so spokes left, it becomes nearly impossible to put the spokes in their place without bending and pushing which I don't want to do.

What's the correct way ?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #2988
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

wheel lacing problems,,,what's the right way???

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I got a superlaced wheel with RAD hub you made for me couple of years ago which I bent a few times (because of my bad suspensions setup). I got a 1.85" Excel rim in the mail from you today. You drilled it beautifully. I am trying to replace the bent 2.15" Excel of the superlaced with the new rim.

I have been trying to lace this up for the past three hours.

I started lacing up one side completely and then the other. Is that the right way?

by the time I reach the last 8 or so spokes left, it becomes nearly impossible to put the spokes in their place without bending and pushing which I don't want to do.

What's the correct way ?
1,,,i assume your rim is indexed/drilled in the same pattern as the 2.15 you are replacing....you can check quickly by laying old rim over the new one ...the holes must all go in the same direction

2,,if it passed test #1,,you should be good to go since the spokes you have already worked on your old rim

3,,the secret to lacing is that ya want to just prelace with nipples just a few turns in,,so that the rim can be pushed this way n that easily as you go from one layer of spokes to the next....i think you may hav erun your nipples in too far from the sounds of it....give that a try first

4,, their are some times when we SUPERLACE with new spokes that are specially bent..that because of the tight fits we strive for and th ebeefines of the spokes everything fits tighter,,,so toward the en dof pre-lacing we need to use an extra set of hands or grip lock clamp to assist us in pulling the rim over a bit for clearance in gettin gthe last spokes in...IN your case,,the spokes and hub should still be together,,you essentially should only need to remove old rim and replace with the new one...FYI,,some folks zip tie the spokes together where they cross...so that they don't mess up the spoke/lace pattern..

holler if that works/doesn't help ya

woody
Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #2989
keener
Speed changes you.

I figured early on to drive the nipples in as less as possible. The trouble is I removed all the spokes because it was a mess trying to just transplant the hub with spokes. I shouldn't have it seems. Zip tie idea sounds good.

So now should I put all the spokes back in the hub first then put it in the middle of the rim and put the nipples?

Or should I put the hub in the middle of the rim and drive the spokes in the hub and put the nipples on one by one?

I have been using the second method. It gets harder as I progress. Driving the superlace spokes in the RAD hub is SOMETIMES very hard. If this Is the right method, at what order do you proceed? One side first then the other?

keener screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 10:44 PM
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #2990
keener
Speed changes you.

And done!
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #2991
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
19" Front wheel

Woody:

Thank you for the reply

We will get the $s together and get back with you.

Regards

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #2992
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

attaboy,,3rd times the charm!!!

Quote:

And done!

keener my man,,i'm proud of you using your noggin....

FYI,,yes next time:

1,, tie -tie em from the beginning before removing all the nipples

2,, double check that indexing matches oem rim and new one

3,, swap out and re-assemble

WARNING...the RAD hubs have certain anomolies that we know about and get around..
FYI not all the spoke holes have the same depth,,,so if ya take the wheel apart totally the throat lengths of spokes could vary ...we've pre-seated everything during the SUPERLACE process..hence ya really want to leave wheel intact

FYI,,you have my Superlace designed hub,with my exclusive solution to making your hub be able to handle any rim whether indexed Jap or Euro.

FYI that RAD hub originally had lightening holes on both sides..notice it now only has em on one side???,,,notice the other side has an extra set of nipple holes??? VOILA..all ya have to do is shift to the empty holes and your hub will work with the other index than yours...Nifty,ehh??

so now ,i highly recommend ya keep an eye out to see if your spokes loosen up...if they do,,,just re-tighten em til everything seats back in again.

woody
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #2993
keener
Speed changes you.

Wow didn't know all that about the RAD hub and spoke hole varying depth.

Putting spokes back in the hub was not easy for all holes.

I'm truing the wheel know. Not done yet but close. it is a lot easier than truing that bent 2.15 rim. I don't have much experience in this department either.

Thx for the tips for lacing.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #2994
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Wow didn't know all that about the RAD hub and spoke hole varying depth.

That's why ya have me

Putting spokes back in the hub was not easy for all holes.

Because your spokes probably had varying throat lengths,,some would've been real easy and some more difficult ,,as in your case,,,IF ya marked each one 's location you'd be all set,,,Part of SUPERLACING id 'setting /seating allt he spokes n nipples'

I'm truing the wheel know. Not done yet but close. it is a lot easier than truing that bent 2.15 rim. I don't have much experience in this department either.

SECRET #1,,, prelace loosely ,,get everything situated laterally/left-right and longtitudinally/up-down

SECRET #2,,, loosen then tighten

SECRET #3,,,start at valve stem the 'V' spokes,,do all 'V's in one direction...reverse snugging all the 'X's...CW/CCW....til true and ALL spokes sound the same/have same torque reading....[for you torque -meisters.]...i just listen to em..they tell me if they're happy...

FYI: i just you my eyeballs and ears

woody

Thx for the tips for lacing.
you're welcome
w
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #2995
apex0i
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Eh? F800GS wheel set

Hey Woody's,

Been planning to get a whole new front & rear wheelset from you guys for a while now, undecided about a couple of things though.

1. I know you said 1.85 is better than the 2.15 & after some reading up, it doesn't affect road handling anymore than i would like. My question is: Would it be fine running 1.85 with the stock size of 4.25 rear or is it wiser to run a 3.5 size rear for, say, a better match? (sorry i'm a dimwit)

2. For that bling factor, i want the nipples anodized orange. Easiest way is of course is to use aluminum nipples, which I see u guys don't offer. Question: Can u guys superlace with aluminum nipples? If you can't, can the SS nipples be anodized orange? Even if you can Superlace with aluminum nipples, can i still get the SS nipples anodized orange & use those instead? (I read somewhere that they can do that now, but im a dimwit)

So here's the breakdown:

Front

Excel 7000 series 2.15/1.85 x 21" Black
RAD billet hub anodized Orange (F800GS)
Oversized, Superlaced SS spoke powdercoated Black
Aluminum/SS/Zartan nipples anodized Orange

Rear

Excel 7000 series 4.25/3.5 x 17" Black
RAD billet hub anodized Orange with 950 Ironman 42T sprocket (F800GS)

Really appreciate you insights on the 2 questions above before I can make up my mind & drop u guys a mail! Rim will look something like that... Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

apex0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #2996
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

BMW F800GS Wheel's

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex0i View Post
Hey Woody's,

Been planning to get a whole new front & rear wheelset from you guys for a while now, undecided about a couple of things though.

1. I know you said 1.85 is better than the 2.15 & after some reading up, it doesn't affect road handling anymore than i would like. My question is: Would it be fine running 1.85 with the stock size of 4.25 rear or is it wiser to run a 3.5 size rear for, say, a better match? (sorry i'm a dimwit)

2. For that bling factor, i want the nipples anodized orange. Easiest way is of course is to use aluminum nipples, which I see u guys don't offer. Question: Can u guys superlace with aluminum nipples? If you can't, can the SS nipples be anodized orange? Even if you can Superlace with aluminum nipples, can i still get the SS nipples anodized orange & use those instead? (I read somewhere that they can do that now, but im a dimwit)

So here's the breakdown:

Front

Excel 7000 series 2.15/1.85 x 21" Black
RAD billet hub anodized Orange (F800GS)

Rear

Excel 7000 series 4.25/3.5 x 17" Black
RAD billet hub anodized Orange with 950 Ironman 42T sprocket (F800GS)

Really appreciate you insights on the 2 questions above before I can make up my mind & drop u guys a mail! Rim will look something like that... Thanks in advance.

HI,

The 21 x 1.85 will be the best choice if you ride off road at all and still ride on the street a fair amount. You can use the 17 x 4.25 no problem, which is better for longer tire life, more tubeless options and also is much stronger than the oem rim. The 3.5 x 17 would be best if you are going to be riding off road more.

We can use aluminum anodized nipples, but they aren't nearly as strong as the Stainless steel nipples. We can powdercoat the spokes and nipples, but the only issue is they will cheap if they are ridden off-road a lot, othewise they are pretty durable.

To build a set with black 21 x 1.85, 17 x 4.25 Excel rim's, Billet hub's, w/ a Supersrprox 42tooth for KTM 990, Black Stainless steel spokes, orange stainless steel nipples would be $2,383 + shipping.

We can also seal the rear wheel's for tubeless tire's, it's only an extra 99 per wheel, unfortunately we can't seal a 21'' whel for tubeless tire's.

Thanks Zach
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #2997
bayarearider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Adding a cush hub to my existing Excel wheel

I have a 2011 Husaberg FE570 with Excel rims. I want to add a cush hub to it. I want to ship my wheel over to you. How much would it cost and whats the turn around time for this ?
bayarearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #2998
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Cush Hub Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarearider View Post
I have a 2011 Husaberg FE570 with Excel rims. I want to add a cush hub to it. I want to ship my wheel over to you. How much would it cost and whats the turn around time for this ?
Hi,

We can re-use your oem rim with the Rad cush hub, it would be $795 + shipping for the heavy duty stainless steel spokes/nipples, Billet cush hub(choice of color), and superlace/true.

We can straighten your oem rim as well if it's bent, only add's 20-40.

Turn around time would be about 2 week's.

Thanks Zach
Old 04-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #2999
Brake
"Tractor right up it"

Oddometer: 488
Hi Woody,
I'm looking to get a spare "used" wheel for my '01 ktm 300 mxc (2.15x18"maybe even a 19"). Just interested in having a spare wheel with a specific tire on for different types of riding and not having to swap tires back and forth on the same rim. Checked the website and didn't see anything but wondering if maybe you had something lying around. Average condition, at best, is fine with me. Just looking for something to beat on.

Thanks in advance
Blake
Brake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #3000
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

KTM used wheel's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake View Post
Hi Woody,
I'm looking to get a spare "used" wheel for my '01 ktm 300 mxc (2.15x18"maybe even a 19"). Just interested in having a spare wheel with a specific tire on for different types of riding and not having to swap tires back and forth on the same rim. Checked the website and didn't see anything but wondering if maybe you had something lying around. Average condition, at best, is fine with me. Just looking for something to beat on.

Thanks in advance
Blake

Hi Blake,

We don't have any good used wheel's at this time, the least expensive option would be New gold Rad billet hub, Excel used 19 x 2.15 silver excel oem KTM rim, and stainless steel spokes/nipples, it would be $595+ shipping.

thanks Zach