Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #691
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,656
Woody, I swore I wouldn't do this but I have . . . bent my front stocker on the 950. It's not bad, but noticeable. The right bead is whacked about 1/4" in (and out a bit, I suppose). What are the odds the rim can be straightened so that I can mount a Scorpion and use if for long trips?

I'm also gonna be in the market for a Superlaced 1.85 Excel, I suppose.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #692
PlugUgly
The Littlest Giant

Oddometer: 76
I have a feeling my question will spawn more questions than I can answer, but here goes. I bought a '02 KLR that the previous owner motarded. He did it a bit oddly, but I liked it. One of the odd things is that he used the wheel from a CBR600F3 for the front, and converted it to use the dual discs by putting two left forks and calipers on the bike. The rear is a ZX6R wheel. I have the stock wheels, and would like to be able to switch back and forth with between street and dual sport wheels.

After all that backstory, my question is whether or not it will be possible to find a hub that will take dual discs and work with my admittedly odd setup.

If "absolutely not" is not the answer, I'm sure you'll need some specs from the Honda wheel that I will try to get you. If the answer is "Sure, for several hundered dollars," I will probably end up just switching the tires on the rims for seasonal changes.

Thanks for your time.
PlugUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #693
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugUgly
After all that backstory, my question is whether or not it will be possible to find a hub that will take dual discs and work with my admittedly odd setup.
there's a hub on your bike right now that works, right?

seems to me that all you gotta do is figure out what kind of hub is on there now and buy another one.

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #694
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Nothing but praise

Woody's Wheelworks did an amazing job on the rear wheel (17x2.50in Excel rim laced 1/2in offcenter to stock GS rear hub) and the front wheel (21x1.85in Excel rim laced to stock GS front hub) for my GS monolever conversion.

The rear Kenda 761 Dual Sport is 127mm wide which clear the monolever swingarm by approx 8mm as the rim is laced off-center just shy of 1/2in.

Click on pictures for higher resolution ...

Excellent workmanship, good communications, overall a more than satisfied customer. I would suggest to give them all the time they need, that way you get the best of them!

The bike is nowhere near ready to be ridden, but the wheels will certainly will be the least of my problems.

Thanks to the team at Woody's.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #695
PlugUgly
The Littlest Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Slug
there's a hub on your bike right now that works, right?

seems to me that all you gotta do is figure out what kind of hub is on there now and buy another one.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I want a spoked hub to lace up to my stock rim. Currently, it has a cast wheel on the front and rear.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #696
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,318
Strong GS wheels

Do you want something that is more off-road worthy like a 21" front wheel? Do you want to keep the street performance that the current 19/17 set affords you? Does it matter whether or not the wheels are tubeless?

Answer these questions and I'll be better able to help you. Thanks for the question and look forward to providing you with a solution for your needs.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainClimber
Thinking about doing the TAT over the summer on my 12 GS and would like some beefier rims. What sizes would you recommend?
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:53 PM   #697
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

klr600

Not a problem. We usually recommend a 2.50x19 for dual sport fronts, but a 2.15x19 could work with that size tire and we're more likely to have a good used 2.15x19 laying around. Anyway you cut it, we'll have to Superlace it because we'll be using a rear rim for a front hub. Ballpark with a good used rim, stainless spokes, and zinc plated nipples is about $250. With a new rim is about $325 and with stainless nipples is about $350.

You can call the toll free number or e-mail us at: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com with any further questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Squarejaw
I have a KLR600 front wheel that I would like to have resized from 21" to 19" using the original hub. I'd like to run a 100/90-19 tire. If you could give me some pricing options, I'd entertain a new rim and spokes but if the price could be kept down by using a used/reconditioned rim you might have that would work. Trying to do this bike on a budget. Feel free to PM me with details.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #698
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Thank you

Thank you for the kind words.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs
Here is an unsolicited review for an outstanding company! These folks are a pleasure to work with. Every encounter with anyone who is speaking with the public has just plain been great!
They helped me with a custom wheel to use for my Baja trip with my son and I would not have been able to afford it at that time. The wheel was a vast improvement to my stock wheel. This was 21" front wheel for my 2004 GSA. If you need or want to talk about it PM it!
I wouldn't run anything else after having ridden 6000 on an off-road miles with it.
Their products are very nice and as good as I have seen. Remember you get what you pay for.
Chris and Woody are very straight shooters and I thank them publicly for all of their help.
I will be a return customer and have referred them several times already.
Top notch company and people!
Springer
Old 02-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #699
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

so it goes...

Well, it's most likely we can straighten and true it for between $60-100 plus shipping(about $20 each way). Turnaround is just a couple days. If it's not repairable(not much we can't repair), then we have many good used rims we can replace it with to save a buck.

Not a problem on building a more off-road worthy wheel. Almost everything is in stock. Call or e-mail if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
Woody, I swore I wouldn't do this but I have . . . bent my front stocker on the 950. It's not bad, but noticeable. The right bead is whacked about 1/4" in (and out a bit, I suppose). What are the odds the rim can be straightened so that I can mount a Scorpion and use if for long trips?

I'm also gonna be in the market for a Superlaced 1.85 Excel, I suppose.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #700
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

would love to have some pics

I'm sure there are many people who would like to see this conversion. A picture's worth... If you were to send the cast wheel with the spacer's, we could see what we could come up with. It's possible that we could adapt one of the hundreds of wheels we have lying around, but may take some time. If we're able to use a newer style hub, it may cut down on the time, but it will increase the cost. Could range anywhere from $100-600, just would have to see the wheel.

Shipping is $20 each way, no cost to do a little R&D. Call or e-mail with any other questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugUgly
I have a feeling my question will spawn more questions than I can answer, but here goes. I bought a '02 KLR that the previous owner motarded. He did it a bit oddly, but I liked it. One of the odd things is that he used the wheel from a CBR600F3 for the front, and converted it to use the dual discs by putting two left forks and calipers on the bike. The rear is a ZX6R wheel. I have the stock wheels, and would like to be able to switch back and forth with between street and dual sport wheels.

If "absolutely not" is not the answer, I'm sure you'll need some specs from the Honda wheel that I will try to get you. If the answer is "Sure, for several hundered dollars," I will probably end up just switching the tires on the rims for seasonal changes.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #701
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
I like'em blacked out

Hey Woody,
Wondering if you can make my 1200gs rims blacked out with powder coating or a paint application? Quanto? (How much $) I would of course be shipping them to you.
Thanks!
Hank
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #702
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Stephen-

Pleasure working with you as well. Look forward to seeing the wheels on the bike and how the rest of the bike turns out. Let us know if you need anything in the future.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB

Woody's Wheelworks did an amazing job on the rear wheel (17x2.50in Excel rim laced 1/2in offcenter to stock GS rear hub) and the front wheel (21x1.85in Excel rim laced to stock GS front hub) for my GS monolever conversion.

The rear Kenda 761 Dual Sport is 127mm wide which clear the monolever swingarm by approx 8mm as the rim is laced off-center just shy of 1/2in.

Click on pictures for higher resolution ...

Excellent workmanship, good communications, overall a more than satisfied customer. I would suggest to give them all the time they need, that way you get the best of them!

The bike is nowhere near ready to be ridden, but the wheels will certainly will be the least of my problems.

Thanks to the team at Woody's.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #703
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Changing rim colors

Hank-

Not a problem to do this for you. As long as the rims are straight, cost should be about $250 per wheel and turnaround would be about 2 weeks. If the rims are bent, it typically adds $70-130 per wheel(we usually can determine this before taking the wheels apart). If you want your hubs powdercoated, it adds $75 per wheel to the price(any color).

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Hey Woody,
Wondering if you can make my 1200gs rims blacked out with powder coating or a paint application? Quanto? (How much $) I would of course be shipping them to you.
Thanks!
Hank
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM   #704
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Wow!

Thanks Chris for the quick response and info!!!! Just waiting for my refund check...
Hank
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #705
PlugUgly
The Littlest Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
I'm sure there are many people who would like to see this conversion. A picture's worth...
Here is a pic of the bike, and I am still deciding on what I wan to do with it. I am primarily going to ride it on road, although I do live 1.5 miles off a paved road, so gravel is a constant. The conversion makes just swapping wheels for winter more difficult. I may find out that I can get a tire that works year round for me, and stay 17inch year round. I am trying to see what my options are, and appreciate your input.
Attached Images

PlugUgly screwed with this post 02-16-2008 at 07:01 PM